- ACMAD: Centre africain pour les applications de la météorologie au développement = African Centre of Meteorological Applications for Development (Niamey, Niger)
- "L'objectif est de contribuer au développement durable des différents secteurs socio-économiques du continent africain à travers ses domaines d'investigation, la Météorologie et le Climat. Les activités de ACMAD sont la prévision du temps à courte et moyenne échéances, la veille climatique, la prévision saisonnière, et la formation des métérologistes Africains aux nouvelles techniques et technologies." A ce site, on peut trouver entre autres choses: un bulletin climatique, image satellite, plan stratégique, et liens météos.
- Institutions météorologiques internationales et nationales
- Africa (PBS Online, Public Broadcasting Corporation, Alexandria, Virginia)
for "Africa" the 8 part television series co-produced by WNET/Thirteen's Nature and The National Geographic Society, which begins airing in September 2001. The site includes excerpted texts, photos, "teacher tools", and other resources. See also, the National Geographic website
- Africa: atlas of our changing environment. -- Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Program-UNEP, 2008. PDF format in English or French
- Africa's lakes: atlas of our changing environment. -- Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Progam--UNEP, 2006. PDF format
- African Academy of Sciences (Nairobi, Kenya)
'The African Academy of Sciences was conceived on the 6th day of July 1985 when 22 prominent scientists met in Trieste, Italy, at the inauguration of the Third World Academy of Sciences TWAS) and devised the concept of the African Academy of Sciences (AAS). Under the leadership of Prof. Thomas R. Odhiambo as the first elected President of the AAS, membership has grown rapidly from the initial 33 members in 1985 to 107 in 1995, representing 24 African countries and 5 countries overseas.'
- African Agriculture: news, views about agriculture in Africa and beyond (Africa News Network, Dakar, Senegal)
Since 2007, a blog for agricultural news and opinions which include commentary and new articles from US, European, and African news sources.
- African Conference of Ministers in Charge of Environment on Climate Change for Post 2012, 19-20 November 2008, Algiers, Algeria: Resource Pack. Produced by the International Institute for Sustainable Development, Reporting Services: African Regional Coverage (Winipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
- African Conservation Foundation (Africawebsites.Net, UK)
- A portal site of information about conservation organizations working all over Africa. The site is searchable by country, organization, etc.
- African Crop Science Society (El-Minia, Egypt)
- African crop science journal. (Online) via Bioline International. -- Campinas, Brazil: Published for the African Crop Science Society by Centro de Referência em Informação Ambiental ; Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto, 1995-2003.
- 9th African Crop Science Society Conference "Science and Technology Supporting Food Security in Africa," September 28-October 1, 2009, Cape Town, South Africa
- 8th African Crop Science Society Conference, October 27-31, 2007, El-Minia, Egypt
- African Flowering Plants Database (See below)
- African Marine Atlas (ODINAFRICA Program, International Oceanographic Data and Information Commission, United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, Paris, France)
This web site --under construction--includes continental and coastline maps--with potential for regional, country, and local areas, various graphs, and numerical data. "The purpose of the African Marine Atlas is to identify, collect and organize available geospatial datasets into an atlas of environmental themes for Africa..."
- African Ministerial Conference on the Environment (AMCEN) (via United Nations Environment Programme, Regional Office for Africa, Nairobi, Kenya)
- 4th Special Session of AMCEN, Bamako, Mali, September 12-16, 2011
- 13th Session of the AMCEN, Bamako, Mali, June 23-25, 2010
- 12th Session of the AMCEN, June 7-12, 2008, Johannesburg, South Africa
- AMCOW--African Ministers' Council on Water (Abuja, Nigeria)
- African Scientific Network (via Dept. of Physics, North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro)
This website offers links to science-related programs, conferences, institutions, and fora among African scientists in and outside of Africa.
- African Wildlife Conservation Societies -- International and Local NGOs (Dr. John Bock, Department of Anthropology, California State University, Fullerton, California)
This web page offers links to the home pages of African and international wildlife societies and foundations.
- Africapolis: étude de l'urbanisation en Afrique de l'Ouest (1950-2020) = Urbanization study in West Africa par Catherine Chatel, Eric Denis, Dominique Harre, François Moriconi-Ebrard, Marion Séjourné, et Ousmane Thiam. (Paris: Agence française de développement, 2009)
A geostatistical study produced by a team of researchers at SEDET--Université Paris Diderot for AFD. The site includes the final analytical report, atlas, country sheets, executive summary, and brief results summary --- in French or English.
- AfricaRice: Africa Rice Center = Centre du Riz pour l'Afrique (Cotonou, Benin)
In September 2009, the West Africa Rice Development Association was renamed "Africa Rice Center"
[The Center]...is a leading pan-African research organization with a mission to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa through research, development and partnership activities. It is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR)...created in 1971 by 11 African countries. Today its membership comprises 24 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African regions..."
--Bibliography of AfricaRice publications, 1991-2009
; conference proceedings
; technical reports
- AFRISTAT: Observatoire économique et statistique d'Afrique Subsaharienne (Bamako, Mali)
Sur ce site, on peut trouver les données statistiques des états membres de l'organisation: démographie, education, activités économiques, échanges extérieurs, prix, transports, tourisme et environnement, etc. 'AFRISTAT est une organisation internationale créée par un traité signé le 21 septembre 1993 à Abidjan par les pays de la Zone Franc.'
- Conference and Exhibition on Agricultural Biotechnology in Africa: Fostering Innovation, May 13-15, 2011, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Co-sponsored by Addis Ababa University--Institute for Science and Sustainable Development, Addis Ababa; Harvard University--Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- AGIS-Agricultural Geo-Referenced Information System: South Africa (Pretoria, South Africa)
This site offers free data and maps of South African agriculture, natural resources, climate, and land use--from the South African National Dept. of Agriculture, Provincial Depts. of Agriculture, and the Agricultural Research Council; information about various projects; and contact information for experts.
- AIACC--Assessment of Impacts and Adaptations to Climate Change in Multiple Regions and Sectors (Washington, DC ; Nairobi, Kenya)
- ALIN: Arid Lands Information Network -- Eastern Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "ALIN--Eastern Africa is a network of Community Development Workers who are involved in drylands development...ALIN members are drawn from government departments, non-governmental organisations and community-based organisations."
The site includes a few newsletters and information about community center programs.
- All Africa Foundation: "Sustainable Africa" Internet Channel (AllAfrica Global Media, Washington, DC)
- A portal site for news stories and public domain documents relating to "sustainable development" issues in Africa: environment, trade, debt, population, water, climate change, forests, agriculture, etc.
- Directory of organizations (International, regional, national, and community-based)
- American Museum of Natural History: American Museum Congo Expedition 1909-1915 (New York)
A multi-media web presentation (photographs, audio narrative, sound recordings
, related texts
) on the expedition of Herbert Lang and James Chapin begun in 1909 in what was northeastern Belgian Congo. "Five and a half years later, they had collected tons of precious zoological and anthropological specimens representing one of the most comprehensive collections of the day."
- ARID Afrique: Association Régionale pour l'Irrigation et le Drainage en Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
- "L'ARID est une association à but non lucratif créée en 1996 pour répondre à la demande des professionnels de l'irrigation du drainage et de la maîtrise des crues, en attendant que des comités nationaux de la Commission Internationale des Irrigations et du Drainage se mettent en place. En effect, elle couvre géographiquement 23 pays qui n'étaient pas représentés sur la scène internationale à la création de l'association."
- Voir aussi, le site en anglais.
- Atlas of Natural and Agronomic Resources of Niger and Benin (L. Herrmann et al., "Special Research Programme 308: Adapted Farming in West Africa," University of Hohenheim, Germany)
At this site, one can read online or download the data. There are full text summaries, map images, and analytical reports. See also, the French version
- "Bibliography on the Management of the Environment and Development in the West African Sahel 1985-1999," by Han van Dijk and Elvire Eijkman. (2002) Electronic journal of Africana bibliography. (Online). Vol. 8 (2002) -- Iowa City, Iowa: The University of Iowa Libraries, 2002.
- Bioline Publications Abstracts, Full Text, and Document Service (Centro Referência Informação Ambiental, Brazil ; Electronic Publishing Trust for Development, UK)
- Twelve African studies journals in the medical, food, and biological sciences from Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and South Africa. View the abstracts without charge; view online full texts from selected journals; and receive full texts for others with paid registration. Titles include:
- African crop science journal. (Online) -- Kampala, Uganda: Makerere University, Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry ; African Crop Science Society, 1995-
- African journal of biotechnology. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: Academic Journals, Inc, 2002-
- African journal of food and nutritional security. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: Quest and Insight Publishers ; Friends-of-the Book Foundation, 2001-
- African population studies. (Online) -- Dakar, Senegal: Union for African Population Studies, 2002-
- Ichthyological bulletin. (Online) -- Grahamstown, South Africa: J.L.B. Smith Institute of Ichthyology, 1995-
- Insect science and its application. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), 1997-
- Journal of food technology in Africa. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: Innovative Institutional Communications, 2001-
- BirdLife International on African Birds (Cambridge, UK)
"Almost 10% of the bird species in Africa are globally threatened. BirdLife International works to secure a future for birds and people across Africa through the BirdLife Africa Programme. Most of BirdLife’s work entails the identification and conservation of threatened species and IBA sites; and the development of appropriate policies and advocacy plans related to global processes and conventions for priority habitats and ecosystems."
- Birds of Africa on the Internet (Karen Fung, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California)
- Cairo Demographic Center, Egypt
"The Cairo Demographic Center (CDC) is a training and research institute established in 1963 by the mutual assistance between the United Nations and the Egyptian Government ... In January 1992 the Egyptian Government took full responsibility for the Center. CDC is an interregional Center serving the developing countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America."
- CARPE--Central African Regional Program for the Environment (University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland ; United States Agency for International Development, Washington, DC)
- Centre de Suivi Ecologique pour la Gestion des Ressources Naturelles (CSE) (Dakar, Sénégal)
"... CSE est créé par les pouvoirs publics sénégalais, avec l'assistance du Programme des Nations Unies pour la Région soudano-sahélienne (UNSO) ... La création de ce Centre entre dans la panoplie de mesures mises en oeuvre depuis les années 70 pour maîtriser les problèmes de la sécheresse et de la désertification ... L'application de techniques de pointe a permis au CSE d'effectuer depuis 1987 le suivi différents paramètres liés à la végétation, aux feux de brousse, à la pluviométrie, à l'agriculture et au sylvo-pastoralisme. De même, le CSE se positionne de plus en plus dans la fourniture de produits et services de systéme d'information géographique basés sur la cartographie de l'occupation du sols, la création de bases de données environnementales, etc."
- CeSPI--Centro Studi Politica Internazionale on Africa, Climate, and International Migration (Rome, Italy)
- Chad-Cameroon Petroleum Pipeline Project
- Federation of African Societies of Chemistry Established in 2006 (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
- Clean Air Initiative in Sub-Saharan Africa (See The World Bank on Africa (via "International Organizations on Economic Development...", Columbia University Libraries)
- United Nations Climate Change Convention Meetings in Cancun, Mexico, November 29-December 10, 2010 and Copenhagen, Denmark, 7-18 December 2009
(See UN Framework Convention on Climate Change below)
- Climate Information Project: RANET -- African Digital Radio Satellite Broadcast (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration--Office of Global Programs, Silver Spring, Maryland ; US Agency for International Development--Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, Washington, DC)
- 'RANET is an effort [by NOAA-OGP & USAID-OFDA] to make climate and weather-related information more accessible to rural populations and communities.' This website offers links to impact summaries and other reports in PDF or HTML formats.
- African country reports
- CIP Home Page (General)
- CILSS--Comité permanent inter-états de lutte contre la sécheresse au Sahel (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
- CLIVAR VACS--Climate Variability and Predictability: Variability of the African Climate System
World Climate Research Programme. (Southampton, UK)
- Club du Sahel et de l'Afrique de l'Ouest = Sahel and West Africa Club (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development on West Africa = Organisation de coopération et de développement économiques; Paris, France)
- "Le Club du Sahel: c'est un réseau informel mais structuré au sein duquel les donateurs et les administrations sahéliennes ont pris l'habitude de communiquer, afin d'augmenter l'efficacité de leurs actions communes. La fondation du Club fut entérinée par les hauts représentants des donateurs et, au même moment, par les ministres sahéliens réunis à Dakar en 1976. Dès lors que ce regroupement incluait tout aussi bien les donateurs que les Sahéliens eux-mêmes, on ne parla plus que du "Club du Sahel". La résolution portant création du Club prévoyait que celui-ci devrait sensibiliser la communauté internationale sur les besoins et les perspectives de développement du Sahel, et faciliter la mobilisation de ressources."
- "Le Coton" dans l'Atlas de l'intégration régionale en Afrique de l'Ouest (août 2006) -et- Coton en Afrique de l'Ouest (novembre 2006)
- Columbia University, The Earth Institute: The International Research Institute for Climate and Society -- Africa Regional Program (New York)
- Conserve Africa Foundation (London, UK)
A non-profit, UK-based NGO seeking to promote "traditional" medical knowledge, conservation, and sustainable development for Africa; with information on conferences and a few downloadable reports.
- Cornell University Geoscience Information System: Cornell Morocco Project (Institute for the Study of Continents and the Department of Geological Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York)
"The Morocco project is a collaborative effort between Cornell University and institutions in Morocco and Spain to improve the understanding of the geodynamics of the western Mediterranean (Alboran) region and the intracontinental development of the Atlas system, using geophysical and geological methods. On these pages you will find information about the research conducted including abstracts and figures from recent investigations." See also, the larger Cornell GIS web site
- Drylands Research (2008) (Somerset, UK)
- The website provides summary information and abstracts of on-going research in 4 African countries; order information only for full texts. "[For more than ten years] Drylands Research writes and co-ordinates policy-related research on rural livelihoods and environmental management in semi-arid tropical countries."
- Earth Summit 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa (See "Johannesburg Summit 2002" below)
- Earthquake Information for Africa (via United States Geological Survey--Earthquake Hazards Program, Reston, Virginia ; and National Earthquake Information Center, Denver, Colorado)
- East African Development Library -- Paris, France: UNESCO Direction de l'Information et de l'Informatique, 1999. --via New Zealand Digital Library, University of Waikato, New Zeland.
A small archive of digitized documents furnished by the World Bank, FAO, UNDP, and other UN agencies on East African development.
- ECOFAC: Conservation et utilisation rationnelle des Ecosystèmes Forestiers d'Afrique Centrale (2004)(Programme régional de l'Union européenne, Bruxelles, Belgique)
- ELDIS: Electronic Development and Environment Information System (Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK)
- Energy in Africa (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
A set of links to reports by international and US organizations, research institutes, e-news, e-journals, and official web sites of African Ministries of Energy and related sectors.
- Environment Information Systems in Sub Saharan Africa (The World Bank, UN Environment Program, The Government of Norway, et al.; via Norway)
- "The Program on Environment Information Systems (EIS) in Sub-Saharan Africa was initiated by the World Bank in conjunction with other donors and international agencies in early 1990. The term 'environment information system' (EIS) is used in the context of this Program to cover any organized system for environmental data management, including geographic information systems (GIS) containing environmental data sets. The objective of the Program is to promote the implementation of effective environmental information systems (EIS) to support the process of sustainable development in sub-Saharan Africa."
- EIS-SSA Home Page
- EIS News
- Full text publications: case studies on Zimbabwe & Senegal; and on Africa in general.
- The Environmental History of Africa -- An Internet/CD Course (Prof. James C. McCann, Department of History and African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massacusetts)
This website includes the course syllabus, thematic maps and photographs, other images, and related information.
- Environmental Law Institute: African Environmental Law & Policy (Washington, DC)
This site offers downloadable research papers and project reports on various African countries, plus country-specific links to environmental law and general information. "...Partnering with activist African NGOs, ELI drafts and advances pragmatic and effective environmental laws and policies, analyzes and identifies options to improve the implementation of existing environmental law, and builds the capacity of local institutions and citizens in Africa to carry out these tasks independently."
- Festival international de géographie de Saint-Dié-des-Vosges, France (L'Académie de Reims, Reims, France)
Voir surtout << Les Actes du FIG >> pour trouver les copies des présentations prononcées aux colloques...un certain nombre porte sur l'Afrique.
- FEWSNET: Famine Early Warning System Network on Africa via USAID on Africa, compiled by Columbia University Libraries.
- African Flowering Plants Database (Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland; South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, South Africa)
A searchable database of statistics, standards of names, distribution maps of plants on the African continent, bibliographic references, and information about publications and links to organizational websites.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (Rome):
- Aquastat Programme on Africa (2005)
The site contains water resource profiles for 53 African countries, in English or French, compiled from data for each country up to 2005. "The 'thirst' for water data is ever increasing and there is indeed considerable demand for data on rural water use from national governments and development agencies. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations initiated an activity in 1993 to meet this demand with particular focus on irrigation. This resulted in the AQUASTAT Programme, the objective of which is to generate rural water use data at country level in a systematic manner."
- FAO Corporate Document Repository = Archives de documents
- FAO on Sahel Crisis, 2012-2013
- GIEWS--Global Information and Early Warning System
- GIEWS Home Page
- GIEWS Country Briefs
"...information on current agricultural season and the harvest prospects for main staple food crops and livestock situation."
- Rainfall Estimates for Africa
- Sahel weather and crop situation. (2007). -- Rome: FAO/GIEWS, 1995-2007.
SWCS was issued by the FAO Global Information and Early Warning System every month throughout the growing season (June to October). The report 'describes weather conditions, pest infestations and crop prospects in the Sahel, a drought-prone zone'. Current and back issues.
- Sustainable Development Dimensions Program on Africa: Environmental Information (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
- FAO information on Africa (All publications) (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
- "Genetically Modified Food in the Southern Africa Food Crisis of 2002-2003". By Steven Hansch ...[et al.]. -- Washington, DC: Institute for the Study of International Migration, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. PDF format
- Forestry Research Institute of Ghana (Kumasi, Ghana)
The website provides general and contact information on research and activities of the institute [founded in 1963]. "The Mission of the Forestry Research Institute of Ghana is to conduct high quality, user-focused research that generates scientific knowledge and appropriate technologies which enhance the sustainable development, conservation and efficient utilization of Ghana's forest resources; and also to disseminate the information for the improvement of the social, economic and environmental well-being of the Ghanaian people."
- Commission des Ministres en charge des Forêts d'Afrique Centrale (Belgique)
- FARA--Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (Accra, Ghana; Entebbe, Uganda)
- Institut de la Francophonie pour le développement durable (Québec, Canada)
- "...organe subsidiaire de l'Organisation internationale de la Francophonie, est né en 1988..[et] dénommé jusqu'au 31 janvier 2013 l'Institut de l'énergie et de l'enivronnement de la Francophonie.
- IFDD Publications
- Friends of the Earth International (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- African Frogs (Robert C. Drewes, Department of Herpetology, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California)
This illustrated site summarizes research carried out by the author since 1986...in East Africa: Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania.
- Geological Survey of Namibia (Windhoek, Namibia)
Recent reports and related links on soils, coastline, and environment in southwestern Africa.
- GCOS--Global Climate Observing System: ClimDev Africa (Geneva, Switzerland)
- "Climate for Development in Africa Programme is an integrated, multi-partner programme addressing climate observations, climate services, climate risk management, and climate policy needs in Africa."
- Climate observations and African development, November 2011 Conference paper, 16 pages in PDF format
- Climate information for development needs: an action plan for Africa, report and implementation strategy, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 18-21 April 2006 99 pages in PDF format
- Regional workshop programmes, 2001-2005: Eastern & Southern Africa; Western & Central Africa; Mediterranean Basin
- Global Water Partnership -- Southern Africa (In association with the IUCN--The World Conservation Union, Regional Office for Southern Africa. (Pretoria, South Africa)
The website features news and reports from various projects and major conferences on water resource management in the member countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), plus the Democratic Republic of Congo. "The Global Water Partnership [headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden] is a working partnership among all those involved in water management: government agencies, public institutions, private companies, professional organizations, multilateral development agencies and others committed to the Dublin-Rio principles."
- The Green Belt Movement of Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya)
- HAPEX Sahel Information Service (1996-97) (IRD--L'Institut de recherche pour le développement; CESBIO; and, CNES; Paris)
"HAPEX-Sahel (Hydrological and Atmospheric Pilot Experiment in the Sahel) is an international land-surface-atmosphere observation program that was undertaken in western Niger, in the west African Sahel region. The overall aims were to improve our understanding of the role of the Sahel on the general circulation, in particular the effects of the large interannual fluctuations of land surface conditions in this region and, in turn, to develop ideas about how the general circulation is related to the persistent droughts that have affected the Sahel during the last 25 years."
- Le Hub Rural: Appui au développement rural en Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre =
The Rural Hub: Supporting rural development in Western and Central Africa (Dakar, Sénégal)
- Ce site met à la disposition du public des bases de données sur le développement rural--en format PDF; un annuaire des agences gouvernementales, des organismes privés, et des centres de recherche; en plus, un recueil des liens aux sites Web.
- Ressources en ligne = Resources online
- See also: Sahel point DOC below
- Institut de recherche pour le développement (IRD, Paris, France; Dakar, Sénégal)
- ISRA--Institut sénégalais de recherches agricoles (Dakar, Sénégal)
"[ISRA est un]...établissement public à caractère scientifique, il a été créé en 1974 pour concevoir, organiser et mener à bien toutes les recherches relatives au secteur rural au Sénégal."
Veuillez voir surtout: Bibliothèque numérique de publications (1974-1999) Greenstone Digital Library Software
- IAALD--International Association of Agricultural Information Specialists, Africa Chapter (Nairobi, Kenya)
- International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (Nairobi, Kenya)
The site offers information about on-going research by this international organization in human, animal, plant, and environmental health; plus a list of publications. "[Founded in 1970]...ICIPE is a tropical organisation: tropical insect science for development."
- International Institute for Environment and Development on Africa (London, UK)
General information and reports on various projects are available from this site; plus order information. "IIED is an independent, non-profit organization promoting sustainable patterns of world development through collaborative research, policy studies, networking and knowledge dissemination ... [Founded in 1971 in the United States] the institute comprises a multicultural, multilingual staff of over 70 people from 18 countries ... with offices in Edinburgh, Scotland and Dakar, Senegal."
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria (via Lambourn & Co., Croydon, UK and CGIAR--Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research, Washington, DC)
General information, research activities, conferences, and online publications
(available in HTML or PDF); see also, full catalog
). "IITA aims to enhance the food security, income and well-being of resource-poor people primarily in the humid and sub-humid zones of sub-Saharan Africa by conducting research and related activities to increase agricultural production, improve food systems, and sustainably manage natural resources, in partnership with national and international stakeholders."
- International Lake Environment Committee (ILEC) Foundation for Sustainable Mangement of World Lakes & Reservoirs (Shiga-ken, Japan)
- The ILEC is "an international environmental NGO established in February 1986. Its objecive is to promote environmentally sound sustainable management of lakes and reservoirs."
- ILEC Home Page
- World Lakes Database --maintained by ILEC, United Nations Environment Program, and the Environment Agency of the Government of Japan-- with links to data files (many with full details, charts, statistics, and bibliographies.).
Selected Files on African Lakes [Excerpts from "World Lakes Database"] :
|Lake Albert, Uganda & D.R.C.
||Aswan High Dam Reservoir, Egypt -and- Sudan
Lake Awassa, Ethiopia
|Lake Bogoria, Kenya
||Cabora Bassa Reservoir, Mozambique
|Lake Chad, Chad, Cameroon, & Nigeria
||Lake Edward, Uganda
||Lake Elmenteita, Kenya
||Lake George, Uganda
||Lake Guiers, Sénégal
|Hartbeespoort Dam Reservoir, South Africa
||Lake Kariba, Zambia & Zimbabwe
||Lake Chivero (McIlwaine), Zimbabwe
||Lake Naivasha, Kenya
||Lake Nakuru, Kenya
|Lake Nasser, Egypt
||Lake Nubia, Sudan
||Lake Malawi (Nyasa), Malawi & Mozambique
||Lake Oguta, Nigeria
||Lake Tana, Ethiopia
|Lake Tanganyika, Tanzania, D.R.C., Burundi, & Zambia
||Lake Turkana, Kenya & Ethiopia
||Lake Victoria, Uganda, Kenya, & Tanzania
||Volta Lake, Ghana
||Lake Ziway, Ethiopia
- International Rivers Network: Africa Campaigns and Reports, 1994-- (Berkeley, California)
Reports on Lesotho, Namibia, and Uganda can be found at this site; plus news on river and dam projects in Senegal, Kenya, Ghana, and elsewhere in Africa. "IRN supports local communities working to protect their rivers and watersheds. We work to halt destructive river development projects, and to encourage equitable and sustainable methods of meeting needs for water, energy and flood management."
- International Union for Conservation of Nature on Africa -- Evaluations (Gland, Switzerland)
- Inter-Réseaux -- Développement Rural (Paris, France)
- Sur ce site, on peut lire les communications et les rapports de beaucoup des chercheurs qui travaillaient dans le domaine du développement et de la coopération technique en Afrique de l'Ouest et en Amérique latine depuis 1996. Voir surtout le bulletin:
- Grain de sel. (Online) -- Paris, France: Inter-Réseaux, Développement Rural, 1996-
- Earth Summit 2002--Johannesburg Summit 2002: World Summit on Sustainable Development, 26 August to 4 September 2002, Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa (Stakeholder Forum, New York)
- African Mammals Databank (Gisbau, Università degli studi di Roma "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy)
"...The data bank covers the whole African continent excluding Madagascar, and includes a total of 281 species, belonging to 12 orders and 28 families. The two species of rhinos (Diceros bicornis and Ceratotherium simum) were excluded because data on the last few areas in which they are found are being kept from the public and we did not want to interfere with this important decision; the elephant (Loxodonta africana) was also excluded..."
- Maps of Africa on the Internet (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries.)
- Miombo Network (Global Environmental Change Lab, Department of Geography, Pennsylvania State University, Penn State, Pennsylvania)
"A partnership of scientists, natural resource managers and policy makers interested in the sustainable development of the Miombo Ecosystem and region. The Miombo Network was founded in 1995 under the auspices of the IGBP, LUCC and START, and has national level activities in the following countries: Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania & South Africa, with coordination provided through Penn State."
The web site --still under re-construction-- features project news, data, remote sensing images, links to full text reports and journal issues.
- MISR: Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer: Gallery Images for Africa (NASA--Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California)
- National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) of Uganda (Kampala; via Uganda.Co)
This site includes general information about NEMA, its activities and downloadable publications (ZIP files), and a recent newsletter. "[Established in 1995] NEMA is a semi-autonomous institution under the Ministry of Water, Lands and Environment, legally established as the principal agency to implement the national policy for the management of the environment in Uganda."
- National Geographic. (Online): Views of Africa, September 2005
-- Washington, DC: The National Geographic Society, 2005.
A special issue focusing on African reports, in-depth reports, photographs, and Africa Map and Archive
of selected articles from previous issues of this popular magazine.
- National Geographic's "Africa: The Series" (Washington, DC)
Promotional site about the 8-part television series beginning on public television in September 2001, co-produced by Nature. The site includes text excerpts and photographs; plus, related links to Africa-related resources and a "Kids" section.
- Network of African Science Academies (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Network for Environment and Sustainable Development in Africa = Réseau Pour l'Environnement et le Développement Durable en Afrique (Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)
- The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) (NBI Secretariat, Entebbe, Uganda)
General information about the programme and its committees. "[Launched in Dar es Salaam in February 1999] ... The NBI is a regional partnership within which countries of the Nile basin have united in common pursuit of the sustainable development and management of Nile waters. ... supersedes the disbanded 'Technical Co-operation Committee for the Promotion of the Development & Environmental Protection of the Nile Basin.'" See also, The Nile River Basin -- Maps Nile Basin Water Resources Management
- Observatoire Sahara et Sahel = Sahel and Sahara Observatory (Tunis, Tunisie; via UNESCO, Paris, France)
"L'OSS est une organisation internationale autonome...ses membres sont des pays d'Afrique et d'Europe, quatre organisations sous-régionales, des organisations régionales, des agences du système des Nations-unies et une ONG internationale." Le site comprend une liste d'evénements (avec liens)
et la Bibliothèque Virtuelle de l'OSS
(avec beaucoup de documents en texte intégral)
- ODINAFRICA: Ocean Data and Information Network for Africa (International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization--UNESCO, Paris, France)
This website outlines various programs of the ODINAFRICA--a project involving about 20 African countries. The site includes current and recent news, conference information, and other data about Africa's oceanic resources.
- Organisation internationale de la Francophonie (Paris, France)
Anciennement Agence intergouvernementale de la Francophonie
- OMVS: Organisation sur la Mise en Valeur du Fleuve Sénégal (Dakar, Sénégal)
- Overseas Development Institute on Africa (London, UK) via Columbia University Libraries
- Oxfam International: Land rights in Africa (London, UK)
An archive of policy papers and campaign documents on land rights, organized by region.
- Project Elgon (Mount Elgon, Uganda-Kenya Border) (University of Leeds, UK)
Students and faculty from the U.K. and Uganda, assisted by staff from Makerere University, Mount Elgon National Park, and local people, carried out studies in 1996 in and around Mt. Elgon. This website is a compilation of basic information on the people, the wildlife, and the environment of the region, online papers from the project team, images, and useful links.
- RAPAC--Réseau des Aires Protégées d'Afrique Centrale = Central Africa Protected Areas Network (Libreville, Gabon)
"[Etabli en 2000]...ce réseau fédérateur se veut une plateforme d'harmonisation, de coordination, d'échange et d'appui entre les acteurs concernés par la gestion des aires protégées et par la valorisation des ressources naturelles."
--Veuillez voir surtout: Bibliothèque de documents et de rapports
(y compris quelques documents de l'ECOFAC en Belgique).
- ReSAKSS: Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System (International Food Policy Research Institution, Washington, DC)
Launched in 2007, ReSAKSS is an Africa-wide network offering tools and recent data for analysis of African agricultural development. The website features statistical tables and graphs for each African country--to be viewed online or downloaded, plus Africa-wide working papers, reports, and other publications.
- Réseau d'information pour le développement durable en Afrique centrale (RIDDAC) (Yaoundé, Cameroun)
<< Fondé en 1999, le RIDDAC a pour but de contribuer à la mise en oeuvre du développement durable en Afrique centrale, en mettant en place une plate-forme permanente de diffusion de l'information [surtout sur les ressources forestières, la diversité biologique, et l'environnement]
, et en favorisant des dynamiques d'échange et de partage de celle-ci, de manière à susciter, faciliter et à encourager les débats constructifs...>>
-- Veuillez voir surtout: RIDDAC Bibliothèque
- Sahel point DOC: anthologie du développement au Sahel -- Paris, France: UNESCO, Division de l'Information et de l'Informatique, 1999. --via New Zealand Digital Library, University of Waikato, New Zealand.
Une petite archive de documents numérisés fournies par la Banque Mondiale, Centre Songhaï, OECD--Club du Sahel, CILSS, FAO, PNUD, et par quelques autres organisations sur la zone sahelienne.
- Science in Africa. (Online) -- Grahamstown, South Africa : Science in Africa, 2001-
Current issue and back issues since January 2001. A popular monthly news magazine about scientific research and development on the African continent, plus information about funding and job opportunities and links to organizations.
- Social Conflict in Africa Database The Robert S. Strauss Center for International Security and Law, Climate Change and African Political Stability. (University of Texas at Austin, Texas)
"The Social Conflict in Africa Database (SCAD) includes information on over 7,300 protests, riots, strikes, coups, communal violence, and other types of social unrest. SCAD covers all countries in Africa with a population of over 1 million from 1990 until 2010, and will be periodically updated. The research team compiled the data from Associated Press (AP) and Agence France Presse (AFP) news wires."
- Société d'Entomologie africaine (Chênée, Belgium)
Ce site est en français ou en anglais. "S.E.A. est une société entomologique axée sur les Coléoptères et Lépidoptères. La société a été crée en 1994. Depuis 1996, on publiait la revue, Entomologia Africana.
- Society of South African Geographers (via University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa)
"The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together..."
- SEDAC--Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (Center for International Earth Science Information Network, The Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York)
This site features selected research findings, news, free data sets, and maps on poverty, environment, and other development issues in Africa and the rest of the world.
"SEDAC is one of the Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs) in the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. SEDAC focuses on human interactions in the environment."
-- Data sets
-- Map gallery
- SAEON--South African Environmental Observation Network
This site offers recent news on South African environmental concerns, information on conferences, etc.
See especially: SAEON newsletter. (Online)
- South African Society for Atmospheric Sciences (SASAS) (via University of Cape Town, South Africa)
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (Bonn, Germany; International Institute for Sustainable Development, Winnipeg, Canada)
- UNCCD National and Regional Reports for Africa
- African drylands commodity atlas. (2009) -- Bonn, Germany: UNCCD in cooperation with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, c2009. 82 pages in PDF format
- Climate change in African drylands: adaptive livelihood options. (May 2009) -- Nairobi, Kenya: UNDP Drylands Development Centre, 2009. 27 pages in PDF format
- Forest, Desertification, Land Encompassing CCD program
- The 2nd Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, 30 November - 11 December 1998, Dakar, Sénégal
- The 1st Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, 29 September - 10 October 1997, Rome Italy
- United Nations Environment Programme: Africa Environment Outlook (AEO) 2 -- Nairobi, Kenya: UNEP, 2006.
"Africa Environment Outlook 2 – Our Environment, Our Wealth (AEO-2) profiles Africa’s environmental resources as an asset for the region’s development. The full report --in English and PDF format-- highlights the opportunities presented by the natural resource base to support development and the objectives of the African Union (AU) and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)."
- UNEP GEO Data Portal (Geneva, Switzerland)
"...is the authoritative source for data sets used by UNEP and its partners in the Global Environment Outlook (GEO) report and other integrated environment assessments. Its online database holds more than 450 different variables, as national, subregional, regional and global statistics or as geospatial data sets (maps)..."
- UNEP Global International Waters Assessment--Final and Regional Reports. Published by the University of Kalmar, Sweden, on behalf of the UNEP; each in PDF format. (via Nairobi, Kenya)
- UNEP-GRID: UN Environment Programme/Global Resource Information Database (In association with the US Geological Survey/EROS Data Center and with the National Aeronautics & Space Administration; Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA) -- via Columbia University Libraries.
- UNEP Division of Early Warning and Assessment -- Water Unit (Nairobi, Kenya)
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, 2009-2011
- UNFCCC 2011: Durban, South Africa, November 28-December 9, 2011
--See also: Official site of COP17/CMP7, Durban, South Africa
- 2009-2010: Cancun, Mexico, November 29-December 10, 2010 ; Copenhagen, Denmark, 7-18 December 2009.
- See also: Gateway to the UN System's Work on Climate Change
- UN-Habitat: United Nations Human Settlements Programme (Nairobi, Kenya)
- UNU/INRA: United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (Accra, Ghana)
- "The UNU/INRA is one of the five research and training centres of the United Nations University. It was established in 1986 with a mission to build endogenous African capacity and strengthen national institutions to promote sustainable use of the continent's natural resources for development."
- GLOWA Volta: Global Change and the Hydrological Cycle (via München, Germany)
- USAID: United States Agency for International Development: Programs on Environment, Development, & Health in Africa. (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries.)
This collection includes a link to the USAID FRAME Web Site
, a searchable gateway to USAID reports on the African environment and natural resources development.
- United States Energy Information Administration on Africa (Selected by Columbia University Libraries.)
"Country analysis briefs" on energy production (oil, gas, electricity, etc.), imports, and exports for only a handful of African countries. Plus, world data sheets (1980-98) -- with some African data.
- US Geological Survey: Earthquake Information (via Earthquake Hazards Program, Reston, Virginia ; and National Earthquake Information Center, Denver, Colorado)
- US Geological Survey, EROS Data Center (USGS, Earth Resources Observation Systems Center, Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
- University of Texas, Robert S. Strauss Center for International Security and Law: Climate Change and African Political Stability Program "Call for Papers" for African Scholars on Environmental Security (Austin, Texas)
The papers submitted in this competition will be considered for research funding support and publication in a working paper series of the CCAPS Program
. The deadline for papers is January 31, 2011!
- Volcanoes of the World--By Country Volcano World. (Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon)
An inventory list of volcanoes and volcano study programs, with photographs and maps.
- WaterAid: an international development charity (London, UK)
- "Water in Africa" Web Dossier (2012) -- Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Centre and Leiden University Library, Documentation and Information Department, 2012.
"....compiled by the library of the African Studies Centre to coincide with the international conference ‘Water Management Issues in Africa’, organized by the Network of African Science Academies (NASAC) in collaboration with the Netherlands Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) in Port Louis, Mauritius, 29-31 March 2012."
- The Water Page -- Incorporating The African Water Page (Len Abrams, Water Policy International, Johannesburg, South Africa)
- "This is a page dedicated to the water sector in Africa and in other developing regions. Issues addressed include water policy, water resource management, water supply and environmental sanitation, water conservation and demand management, and a variety of other issues." The site contains documents on water resources legislation, development projects, and research, plus links to related sites.
- Water and Sanitation Program: Africa Programs and Reports (Washington, DC)
- "[Administered by the World Bank]...The Program focuses on assisting its country clients in implementing sector reform. WSP refines best practice models of rural water supply and sanitation service delivery (decentralized local government, large scale community enterprise or sector agency delivery) and assist clients in devising and implementing new policies." See also: the French version.
- WSP publications on Africa
- Water Unit -- United Nations Environment Programme (See above)
- The Working Group on Space Sciences in Africa (South African Astronomical Observatory, Foundation for Research Development, Cape Town, South Africa)
- "[Since September 1996] The Working Group seeks to promote the development of the space sciences in Africa by initiating and coordinating various capacity-building programmes throughout the region. These programmes fall into a broad spectrum ranging from the promotion of basic scientific literacy in the space sciences to the support of international research projects."
- WGSSA Home Page
- African Skies. (Online) -- Cape Town, South Africa: Working Group on Space Sciences in Africa; via South African Astronomical Observatory, 1997- [ISSN 1027-8389]
- The World Bank on Africa (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
- World Resources Institute on Africa (Washington, DC)
- This site includes data and maps on African economic and environmental issues--including watersheds, forests, urban-rural demographics and health, and community banks. There are special sections on: Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Niger, & Nigeria.
- EarthTrends -- The Environmental Information Portal (General)
- An analysis of access to Central Africa's rainforests. By Susan Minnemeyer, with contributions from Tyson Walker ...[et al.] -- Washington, DC: WRI, 2002. PDF format. [Data and analysis from the Congo Basin and Cameroon.]
- Online Bookstore: Africa
- WRI Home Page (General)
- World Summit on Sustainable Development 2002 (See Johannesburg Summit 2002 above)
- World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF) (WWF International, Gland, Switzerland)
- "The WWF-World Wide Fund For Nature is the world's largest and most experienced independent conservation organization, with around 5 million supporters and a global network of 27 National Organizations, 5 Associates, and 21 Programme Offices."
- WWF Global Network (General Home Page in English)