***Elections in Kenya
- Africa Policy Institute (Nairobi, Kenya)
With a regional office in Pretoria, South Africa and a liaison office in Kampala, Uganda
: "API is an independent, not-for-profit pan-African think tank designed as a centre of excellence on peace, security and governance, conceived as enablers of sustainable development. The Institute is devoted to field-based research, analysis and serious thinking to generate credible knowledge as the basis for policy dialogue and sharing of innovative policy perspectives with African institutions, states, civil society and the private sector."
--See especially: API reports and briefs
- African Peer Review Mechanism Update on Kenya, see below: UN Economic Commission on Africa
- AMANI Forum--The Great Lakes Parliamentary Forum of Peace (Nairobi, Kenya)
A regional organization of African parliamentarians which tries to monitor conflict resolution cases in the Eastern Africa and offer training, with national chapters in 7 countries. The site includes news and reports from workshops and meetings.
- Amnesty International on Kenya--Profile and Updates (Washington, DC and New York)
- Article 19 on Kenya (London, UK)
- BBC News on Kenya (British Broadcasting Corporation, London, UK)
- "Uhuru Kenyatta challenges ICC case" (March 18, 2013) ; "Multiple challenges for
Kenya's new leader" (March 10, 2013) ; "Uhuru Kenyatta: Indicted President" (March 9, 2013)
- Kenya Direct: Going Beyond the Headlines (2012-2013)
- Country profile: Kenya (2013)
- "Are Kenyans seeking a buffer zone in Somalia?" (October 28, 2011) and related stories
- "Kenya's new constitution sparks hopes of rebirth" (August 27, 2010)
- "Kenya set to get truth commission" (October 24, 2008) ; "Kenya ex-graft czar urges amnesty" (August 20, 2008) -and- "Kenya: struggling for peace" (August 19, 2008)
- "Kenya in Crisis" and latest news (January--May 2008) -- "Kenya opposition cancels protests" -- "Kenya official [Attorney-General] calls for vote inquiry" -- "Kibaki named victor in Kenya vote" -- "Odinga rejects Kenya poll result" (December 31, 2007) and other 2007 Kenya Election-related stories
See also: Elections in Kenya in 2002 and 2007 below
- John Githongo Report on Graft in Kenya (Submitted November 22, 2005) Copy of report, with cover letter, in PDF format
- Center for Strategic and International Studies on Kenya (Washington, DC)
- Centre for Governance and Development (Nairobi, Kenya)
The site includes news updates, publications
, and links to partner organizations
. "[CGD]...works with representative and participatory institutions and organizations including parliament, parliamentary committees, government departments, local authorities, community based organizations, and other civil society organizations [in Kenya]."
- Centre for Rights, Education, and Awareness (Nairobi, Kenya) Since 1998
The site includes reports on activities, events, photos, short videos, and publications
. "[CREAW's]...mission is to transform society by empowering women and expanding new frontiers for women's rights and freedoms."
- CCR-Kenya: Coalition for Constitutional Reforms--Kenya, 2007-2009 (Nairobi, Kenya ; USA)
The news blog of this civil society NGO which campaigns on issues of democracy, development, and the environment in Kenya.
- Kenya Coast Bibliography (2000), compiled by Jan Hoorweg -- Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Centre, Leiden University, 2007.
"The first version of this bibliography was published as a chapter in the Kenya Coast Handbook and covered the period up to 1996 (Hoorweg & Hekken 2000). The present digital version has been updated until the year 2000 and contains 1479 titles."
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative on Kenya (New Delhi, India; London, UK; Accra, Ghana)
- CHRI reports and excerpts from Kenyan news media...since 1998. "The CHRI is a non-partisan independent international non-governmental organisation. Human rights education and advocacy are at the core of all CHRI's activities, and the aims and ends of its reports and investigations."
- The Police, The People, The Politics: Police Accountability in Kenya (2006). A joint report by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative and Kenya Human Rights Commission. By Michelle Kagari, Sophy Thomas ...[et al.] -- New Delhi, India; London, UK; Nairobi, Kenya: CHRI, 2006. 96 pages in PDF format.
- The Constitution of Kenya on the Internet
- Country Profile: Kenya (2007) (United States, Library of Congress, Federal Research Division, Washington, DC) PDF format
- Danish Institute for International Studies, Department for Development Research. Formerly Centre for Development Studies. (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Dispute Resolution Centre (Nairobi, Kenya)
This site includes news and reports on Kenya, especially covering the period 2000-2009. "...founded in 1997 in response to an increasing need in East Africa for a new dimension in resolving disputes, by seeking non-adversarial means of settlement, promoting reconciliation and cutting the cost of conflict in terms of both time and money."
- East African Bribery Index 2011 -- Nairobi, Kenya: Transparency International Kenya, 2011. 92 pages in PDF format
- Elections in Kenya, 2013 and earlier
- Africa Review (Nairobi, Kenya): "Uhuru Kenyatta and the making of Kenyan history." (March 10, 2013)
- Afrobarometer (Accra, Ghana; East Lansing, Michigan, USA; Pretoria, South Africa) "Political parties, partisanship, and the 2013 Presidential Elections": results from the Afrobarometer Round 5 Survey in Kenya (January 2012) In association with the Institute for Development Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya
- BBC News on Kenya--Current (see above)
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC)
--"Kenya's Elections: A Nation Holds its Breath," By Richard Downie (March 1, 2013)
--"Reading the tea leaves on the Kenyan elections: patterns of violence and poltiical alliances,"
By David W. Throup (November 16, 2012)
- Council on Foreign Relations: "Electoral violence in Kenya: contingency planning memorandum no. 17," by Joel D. Barkan (February 2013) (New York)
- Daily nation. (Online): "Kenya Elections" (2013) -- Nairobi: Nation Media Group, Ltd., 1996- --News and blog articles; plus "Election maps"
- Human Rights Watch: "High stakes: political violence and the 2013 elections in Kenya." (February 8, 2013) -- New York: HRW, 2013. 64 pages in PDF format
- Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (Kenya)
- International Crisis Group: Kenya's 2013 Elections. (January 2013) Africa report no. 197. (Nairobi, Kenya; Brussels, Belgium) 59 pages in PDF format
- IFES--International Foundation for Electoral Systems on Kenya, 2012-2013 (Washington, DC)
- IPI--International Peace Institute: "The Presidential Election in Kenya: Results and Implications,"
March 18, 2013 Video (New York) --via Ustream.tv
- Kenya Human Rights Commission (see below)
- Makerere Institute of Social Research, Makerere University (Kampala, Uganda): Panel on
"The 2013 Kenya Elections," March 8, 2013
- Political parties & presidential candidates in 2013
- Post-Election Crisis in Kenya, 2007-2012
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Act, No. 22 of 2011 (via National Council for Law Reporting, Kenya Law Reports, Nairobi) 22 pages in PDF format
--See also, EACC Act 2011
(via Commission for the Implementation of the Constitution, Nairobi)
31 pages in PDF format
- Fahamu : Networks for Social Justice (Oxford, UK ; Nairobi, Kenya ; Claremont, South Africa ; Dakar, Senegal)
- "[Fahamu]...supports the strengthening of human rights and social justice movements by: promoting innovative use of information and communications technologies ; stimulating debate, discussion and analyses ; publishing news and information ; developing and delivering educational courses, including by distance learning."
- AU monitor. (Online) -- Oxford, UK: Fahamu, 2006-
- Pambazuka news. (Online) below.
- FEMNET--African Women's Development and Communication Network (Nairobi, Kenya)
The web site features information about FEMNET activities and publications, online reports and books, and general human rights news. "[Established in 1988]...FEMNET aims to strengthen the role and contribution of African NGOs focusing on women's development, equality and other human rights."
- Government of Kenya -- Portal Site (Nairobi)
- Kenya Human Rights Commission (Nairobi)
"Kenya Human Rights Commission is a non-governmental, independent organization
established in 1992 in response to serious human rights abuses by the government of Kenya." This website describes programmes and provides order information for KHRC publications.
See also: the government-sponsored Kenya National Commission on Human Rights
- Human Rights Watch on Kenya (New York & Washington, DC)
- HRW on Kenya: Press releases, letters, reports, etc.
- "High stakes: political violence and the 2013 elections in Kenya." (February 8, 2013) -- New York: HRW, 2013. 64 pages in PDF format
- "Hold your heart: waiting for justice in Kenya's Mt. Elgon region" (October 2011) 66 pages in PDF format
- "From horror to hopelessness: Kenya's forgotten Somali refugee crisis" (March 30, 2009) 60 pages in PDF format
- "A Question of Life or Death: Treatment Access for Children Living with HIV in Kenya" (December 2008) 100 pages in PDF format
- "Letting them fail: government neglect and the right to education for children affected by AIDS" (October 2005)Human Rights Watch report. (Online) ; vol. 17, no. 13 (A)
- "Double standards: Women's property rights violations in Kenya" (March 2004) Plus, supplementary material.
- Kenya, 2002. In Human Rights Watch World Report 2003. (Online).
- "Kenya's unfinished democracy: a human rights agenda for the new government." (December 2002) Human Rights Watch report. (Online) ; vol. 14, no. 10 (A)
- Hidden in plain view: refugees living without protection in Nairobi and Kampala. -- New York : HRW, 2002. ("November 2002")
- Playing with fire: weapons proliferation, political violence, and human rights in Kenya. -- New York : HRW, 2002. ("May 2002")
- Kenya, 2001. In Human Rights Watch World Report 2002. (Online).
- Kenya, 2000. In Human Rights Watch World Report 2001. (Online).
- Kenya, 1999. In Human Rights Watch World Report 2000. (Online).
- "Kenya: in the shadow of death -- HIV/AIDS and children's rights in Kenya." Human Rights Watch. (Online); vol. 13, no. 4(A) (June 2001)
- "Kenya: Spare the Child: Corporal Punishment in Kenyan Schools." Human Rights Watch (Online) ; vol. 11, no. 6(A) (September 1999)
- Kenya, 1998-99. In Human Rights Watch World Report 1999. (Online).
- Kenya, 1997-98. In Human Rights Watch World Report 1998. (Online).
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre: Internally displaced persons in Kenya (2006--) Norwegian Refugee Council (IDMC, Geneva, Switzerland)
For each country in the IDMC survey, the document collection includes an overall summary, recent news, population figures, social indicators, and some analyses.
- International Center for Transitional Justice: "To Live As Other Kenyans Do": a study of the reparative demands of Kenyan victims of human rights violations. (July 2011) By Simon Robins. -- New York: ICTJ, 2011. 77 pages in PDF format
- International Peace Institute: A Choice for Peace? The Story of Forty-One Days of Mediation in Kenya. (August 2009) by Elisabeth Lindenmayer and Josie Lianna Kaye. -- New York: IPI, 2009.
36 pages in PDF format
- Kenya Advisor -- The Independent Kenya Travel Guide (Arjen Koopman, Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- The Kenya Gazette (1906-2011) --via Google Books
A searchable archive of the official publication of the East Africa Protectorate (to 1920) and the Colony and Protectorate of Kenya (until 1963); thereafter, the official publication of the Republic of Kenya.
- Kenya Law Reports (via National Council for Law Reporting, Nairobi, Kenya)
- Kenya National Archives (Kenya National Archives and Documentation Service, Nairobi, Kenya)
General information, lists of services, news about activities and publications, guides to the collections and -- under construction: searchable databases.
- The Kenya National Dialogue and Reconciliation (2007-2010) (Nairobi)
- Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (Nairobi)
"The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (the National Commission) is an independent national human rights institution established by the government through an Act of Parliament...2002."
- Kenya Web Page (University of Pennsylvania)
- Kenya Web Site (Rich C. Bowen, Lexington, Kentucky)
A web site with links to general information on Kenya, including the 1992 Constitution, a Kenya newsgroup, and Internet Service Providers in Kenya.
- Kenyan Community Abroad (Washington, DC)
News, policy discussions, conference papers, and general information about the organization which claims to be open to all Kenyans abroad. "[Founded in March 1997] KCA is a sociopolitical, non-partisan organization [registered in the states of Minnesota and Pennsylvania]."
- "Kibaki's triumph: the Kenyan general election of December 2002." (June 2003) By David W. Throup. Elections in Africa series, briefing paper ; no. 3. -- London, UK: Chatham House--The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Africa Programme, 2003. (PDF format)
- Wangari Maathai, 1940-2011
- NCCK--National Council of Churches of Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya)
- National Council for Law Reporting: Kenya Law Reports (Nairobi, Kenya)
Selected online reports, legislation, statutes, and related documents.
- National Taxpayers Association (Nairobi, Kenya) Since 2007
- Organisation Mondiale Contre la Torture = World Organization Against Torture on Kenya (Geneva, Switzerland)
- REDRESS on Kenya (London, UK)
This site features program news and position papers on torture and 'justice for survivors'. "...a human rights organisation that helps torture survivors obtain justice and reparation. REDRESS works with survivors to help restore their dignity and to make torturers accountable."
- Refugee Consortium of Kenya: Legal Aid Organisation (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...a non governmental organization set up in 1998 in response to the increasing complex and deteriorating refugee situation in Kenya. RCK's mission is to improve the welfare of refugee situation through advocacy..."
RCK publications include: the newsletter, Refugee insights. (Online)
-and- Research papers
- Regional Centre on Small Arms (Nairobi, Kenya)
The web site includes current news and publications, such as RECSA Bulletin, RECSA annual reports, and related documents. "RECSA is an institutional framework arising from the Nairobi Declaration 
to coordinate the joint effort by National Focal Points in Member States to prevent, combat and eradicate stockpiling and illicit trafficking in small arms and light weapons in the Great Lakes Region and Horn of Africa."
- The rise of a party-state in Kenya: from 'harambee!' to 'nyayo!'. By Jennifer A. Widner. -- Berkeley and Los Angeles, California: University of California Press ; California Digital Library eScholarship program, 2003 (1992).
- State House, Kenya -- Official Website (ikenya.ws, Science and Engineering Resource Center, Nairobi, Kenya)
This is one of the main sources for official news and information from the Government of Mwai Kibaki; includes Budget speech and links to ministries and an extensive archive of news summaries.
- SUPKEM--Supreme Council of Kenyan Muslims (via Jamia Masjid, Nairobi, Kenya)
- Transparency International -- Kenya (Nairobi)
- United Kingdom: UK and Kenya (via GOV.UK, London)
This site offers official government news on UK foreign relations with Kenya, related news and issues; plus, selected documents.
- United Nations Agencies on Kenya
- United States. Central Intelligence Agency. World Factbook: Kenya (2013)
- United States Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya (U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC)
- United States. Department of State: Kenya Country Report on Human Rights Practices: 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004| 2005| 2006| 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011
- United States Information Agency (Washington, DC)
- World Social Forum 2007, January 20-25, 2007 -- Nairobi, Kenya: Programme
See also: World Social Forum (São Paulo, Brazil)
The site features all information on this event, the programme, and related links to current and past events. "The 7th edition of the World Social Forum brings the world to Africa as activists, social movements, networks, coalitions and other progressive forces from Asia-Pacific, Latin America, the Caribbean, North America, Europe and all corners of the African continent converge in Nairobi, Kenya for five days of cultural resistance and celebration."
- xkenya.com (Kimacia Consultants, Nairobi, Kenya)
A general Internet portal site, with links to information on Kenyan businesses, the Kenyan government, educational institutions, and other aspects of Kenyan society; plus links of more general interest to Africa.
-- See especially: Government websites--The Ministries