- ACA2K--African Copyright and Access to Knowledge (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- "[ACA2K]...is probing the relationship between national copyright environments and access to knowledge in African countries. This project, supported by Canada's IDRC and South Africa's Shuttleworth Foundation, and managed by the Wits University LINK Centre in Johannesburg, began in October 2007 with legal researchers in five African countries (Egypt, Ghana, Senegal, South Africa and Uganda) preparing initial 'environmental scans' of the copyright contexts in their countries."
- Country Nodes
- Documents from The Accra High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness, September 2-4, 2008, Accra, Ghana (OECD DCD-DAC, Paris, France)
- ACP: African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States -- General Secretariat (Brussels, Belgium)
- ActionAid on Africa (London, UK)
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Sponsored by The Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- A copy of the official list of 100 titles announced on February 18, 2002.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Platform for Development Effectiveness Coordinated by the African Union Commission and NEPAD Agency. (South Africa)
- "...brings consultation, coordination and a common voice to Africa's development perspectives, strategies and policies focusing on capacity development, aid effectiveness and south-south cooperation."
- Policy documents
- Country facilities
- Africa Portal Library (Centre for International Governance Innovation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda; South African Institute of International Affairs, Johannesburg, South Africa)
A digital library of over 3000 books, journals, and documents related to African policy issues; a directory of experts; plus, current news analysis and opinion articles.
- African Capacity Building Foundation (Harare, Zimbabwe)
- "To be the leading African institution, in partnership with other stakeholders, in building sustainable capacity for good governance and poverty reduction in Africa...The Board of Governors comprises representatives of African governments and all donor countries to the ACBF as well as the World Bank, the African Development Bank, UNDP and the IMF."
- Virtual Library on Capacity Development
- African Conservation Foundation (Africawebsites.Net, UK)
- A portal site of information about conservation organizations working all over Africa. The site is searchable by country, organization, etc.
- African Crop Science Society (El-Minia, Egypt)
- African crop science journal. (Online) via Bioline International. -- Campinas, Brazil: Published for the African Crop Science Society by Centro de Referência em Informação Ambiental ; Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto, 1995-2003.
- 11th African Crop Science Society Conference, 11-14 October 2013, Yaoundé, Cameroon
- 10th African Crop Science Society Conference "From soil to soul--crop production for improved African livelihoods and a better environment for future generations," October 10-13, 2011, Maputo, Mozambique
- 9th African Crop Science Society Conference "Science and Technology Supporting Food Security in Africa," September 28--October 1, 2009, Cape Town, South Africa
- 8th African Crop Science Society Conference, October 27-31, 2007, El-Minia, Egypt
- African Development Bank Group Home Page (Tunis, Tunisia ; Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)
- General information about the ADB institutions, including a telephone and fax directory. "The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multinational development bank supported by 77 nations from Africa, North and South America, Europe and Asia. Headquartered in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, the Bank Group consists of three institutions: The African Development Bank (ADB); The African Development Fund (ADF); and, The Nigeria Trust Fund (NTF). Established in 1964, its mission is to promote economic and social development through loans, equity investments, and technical assistance."
- ADB Documents (search by country or topic)
- High Level Forum on Land-Based Foreign Direct Investments in Africa, October 4-5, 2011, Nairobi, Kenya (Co-sponsored by the African Development Bank, the African Union, and the UN Economic Commission for Africa)
- African statistical yearbook, 2009 to present -- Tunis, Tunisia: African Development Bank ; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa.
- Gender, Poverty, and Environmental Indicators on African Countries. (Online) -- Tunis: African Development Bank, 2000- Annual
- Selected Statistics on African Countries, 2006--
- African Diaspora Policy Centre (The Hague, The Netherlands)
"...ADPC enables African Diaspora in Europe to connect more closely with the continent as a collective force. The thematic areas are Peacebuilding, Research, Expert Meetings, Training, Better Governance, Migration & Development, and Brain Gain."
--See epecially: ADPC publications
: articles, policy briefs and papers, reports, book summaries, etc.
- African Economic Outlook (African Development Bank, OECD Development Centre, and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa; Paris, France)
- African Forum & Network on Debt & Development (AFRODAD) (Harare, Zimbabwe)
- AFFORD: African Foundation for Development (London, UK)
A web portal for the African diaspora in the United Kingdom, with news and information on opportunities in education and investment.
- African Conference of Ministers in Charge of Environment on Climate Change for Post 2012, 19-20 November 2008, Algiers, Algeria: Resource Pack. Produced by the International Institute for Sustainable Development, Reporting Services: African Regional Coverage (Winipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
- AMCOW--African Ministers' Council on Water (Abuja, Nigeria)
- The African Network (Santa Clara, California; Chantilly, Virginia)
"...a global non-profit organization with the sole mandate of fostering entrepreneurship and technology among people of African descent. TAN was founded in Silicon Valley, California in 2004 to provide a support structure and network for entrepreneurs, aspiring entrepreneurs, and community leaders worldwide."
- African Population & Health Research Center, Inc. (Nairobi, Kenya)
This website includes downloadable publications--newsletter, research reports, working papers, etc. "The Center was established in 1995 as a Population Policy Research Fellowship program of the Population Council, with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation. In 2001, it became an autonomous institution with headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya."
-- APHRC newsletter
-- APHRC policy briefs
-- APHRC working papers
- African Publishers Network (APNET) (Harare, Zimbabwe)
"The African Publishers Network, established in 1992, brings together national publishers associations and publishing communities to strengthen indigenous publishing throughout Africa."
- African Social Forum = Forum social africain (Dakar, Sénégal)
- The African Social Forum assists in the debates and the organization of the African delegations to the World Social Forum usually held at Porto Alegre, Brazil. The website features general information on activities, contact information, selected documents, and a few newsletters.
- 4th African Social Forum, December 1-5, 2005, Conakry, Guinea
- 3rd African Social Forum, 10-14 December 2004, Lusaka, Zambia
- World Social Forum = Fórum Social Mundial below.
- African symposium: a journal of educational research on Africa. (Online) -- Raleigh, North Carolina: African Educational Research Network (AERN); via North Carolina State University, 2001--
The current issue on offer, plus the "Archives" provides free access to the full text in PDF format of back issues since 2004.
- African Union = Union Africaine (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) Formerly the Organization of African Unity
- Audit of the African Union (December 18, 2007) Unofficial copy, 33 pages in WORD format. --via Pambazuka news. (Online). (Oxford, UK)
- NEPAD--The New Partnership for Africa's Development (Johannesburg, South Africa)
"The NEPAD offices were established with the formal adoption of The NEPAD Strategic Framework at the 37th Summit of the Organization for African Unity (OAU) in July 2001, as a programme of the OAU."
- 20th AU Summit -- "Pan Africanism & African Renaissance," 21-28 January 2013, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Global Africa Diaspora Summit, 23-25 May 2012, Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 18th AU Summit-- "Boosting Intra-African Trade," 23-30 January 2012, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 17th AU Summit--"Youth Empowerment for Sustainable Development, " 23 June-1 July 2011, Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
- 16th AU Summit--"Towards Greater Unity and Integration through Shared Values," 24-31 January 2011, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 15th AU Summit--"Maternal, Infant and Child Health and Development in Africa," 19-27 July 2010, Kampala, Uganda
- 14th AU Summit--"ICT in Africa: Challenges and Prospects for Development," 25 January--2 February 2010, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- ASA Venezuela 2009: Africa-South America Summit, Margarita Island, Venezuela, September 22-27, 2009
--See also: Africa-South America Summit 2006, November 26-30, 2006, Abuja, Nigeria
- 13th AU Summit, "Investing in Agriculture for Economic Growth and Food Security," 24 June--3 July 2009, Sirte, Libya
- 12th AU Summit -- "Infrastructure Development in Africa," January 26-February 3, 2009, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 11th AU Summit -- "Meeting the Millennium Development Goals on Water and Sanitation," 24 June--1 July 2008, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
- 10th African Union Summit, 25 January--2 February 2008, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 9th African Union Summit, 25 June--6 July 2007, Accra, Ghana
- 8th African Union Summit, January 22-30, 2007, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- African Union Banjul Summit: 7th Session of Assembly of African Heads of State & Government, July 1-2, 2006 -- Banjul, The Gambia
--See also: 7th AU Summit -- Official Site
- 2nd African Union Meeting of Experts on the Revitalization of African Higher Education, 27-28 February 2006, Accra, Ghana (Reports, list of participants, etc.)
- 6th AU Summit, January 11-24, 2006, Khartoum, Sudan
- African Union -- The Situation in the Darfur Region of The Sudan (Abuja, Nigeria; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
News and documents on Darfur; plus links.
- 5th AU Summit, June 28--July 5, 2005, Tripoli/Sirte, Libya
- 4th African Union Summit, 24-31 January 2005, Abuja, Nigeria = 4ème Sommet de l'Union Africaine
- Le mouvement panafricaniste du vingtième siècle, textes de référence, Dakar, du 7 au 9 octobre 2004. Edité par l'Organisation internationale de la francophonie. Conférence des Intellectuels d'Afrique et de la Diaspora, Dakar, Sénégal, octobre 2004. Format PDF
- 3rd AU Summit, 6-8 July 2004, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Inaugural AU Summit: African Union Summit, June 28 - July 10, 2002, Durban, South Africa (via The Government of South Africa, Pretoria)
This is the official English language web site for the OAU/AU Summit....inaugurating the new "African Union" and discussions on "Peace, Development and Prosperity: The African Century".
- The Centre for Conflict Resolution Seminar: "Building an African Union for the 21st Century: Relations with Regional Economic Communities (RECs), NEPAD and Civil Society", 20-22 August 2005 (Cape Town, South Africa) A 66 page report in PDF format.
- OAU Summit/Council of Ministers: Documents, July 1999--March 2001.
- African Virtual University (Nairobi, Kenya ; The World Bank, Washington, DC)
- The web site includes information for the public about the programs. Note: User registration is required to access curriculum materials. "The African Virtual University (AVU) is a first-of-its-kind interactive-instructional telecommunications network established to serve the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The mission of AVU is to use the power of modern information technologies to increase access to educational resources throughout Sub-Saharan Africa ... training world-class scientists, technicians, engineers, business managers, health care providers, and other professionals."
- African Virtual University: "L'Université virtuelle africaine, histoire d'une mise en scène" (2005). Mémoire par Pierre-Jean Loiret, Université de Rouen, France, Faculté de psychologie, sociologie et sciences de l'éducation. (via OSIRIS--Observatoire des Systèmes d'Information, des Réseaux et des Inforoutes au Sénégal, Dakar, Sénégal) 228 pages en format PDF.
-- Voir aussi: le résumé de cette recherche.
- African Wildlife Conservation Societies -- International and Local NGOs (Dr. John Bock, Department of Anthropology, California State University, Fullerton, California)
This web page offers links to the home pages of African and international wildlife societies and foundations.
- AfricaRice: Africa Rice Center = Centre du Riz pour l'Afrique (Cotonou, Benin)
In September 2009, the West Africa Rice Development Association was renamed "Africa Rice Center".
[The Center]...is a leading pan-African research organization with a mission to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa through research, development and partnership activities. It is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR)...created in 1971 by 11 African countries. Today its membership comprises 24 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African regions..."
- Afrique et Nouvelles Interdépendances (Paris, France)
"Depuis sa création en novembre 2002 à Sciences Po Paris, Afrique et nouvelles interdependances (ANI) anciennement appelé Avenir NEPAD International
est une association qui mobilise les personnes issues de l'immigration africaine, les partenaires africains et français autour des enjeux de solidarité internationale de ce continent et des actions concrètes à y mener pour un développement durable."
-- Veuillez voir aussi: NEPAD
- AFRISTAT: Observatoire économique et statistique d'Afrique Subsaharienne (Bamako, Mali)
Sur ce site, on peut trouver les données statistiques sur les états membres de l'organisation: démographie, education, activités économiques, échanges extérieurs, prix, transports, tourisme et environnement, etc. 'AFRISTAT est une organisation internationale créée par un traité signé le 21 septembre 1993 à Abidjan par les pays de la Zone Franc.'
- AFRODAD--African Forum & Network on Debt and Development
- Agence universitaire de la Francophonie
- AIACC--Assessment of Impacts and Adaptations to Climate Change in Multiple Regions and Sectors (Washington, DC ; Nairobi, Kenya)
- AidData: tracking development finance (Development Gateway, Washington, DC; College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia; Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah)
Search this directory of projects and funding by donor and country recipients. "AidData attempts to capture the universe of development finance and foreign aid, increase the value of data by providing more descriptive information about development activities, provide data in an accessible format, and strengthen efforts to improve donor and recipient strategic planning and coordination."
- AIDS in Africa --via Health Information & Health Organizations on Africa.
- ALIN: Arid Lands Information Network -- Eastern Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "ALIN--Eastern Africa is a network of Community Development Workers who are involved in drylands development...ALIN members are drawn from government departments, non-governmental organisations and community-based organisations."
The site includes a few newsletters and information about community center programs.
- All Africa Foundation: "Sustainable Africa" Internet Channel (AllAfrica Global Media, Washington, DC)
- A portal site for news stories and public domain documents relating to "sustainable development" issues in Africa: environment, trade, debt, population, water, climate change, forests, agriculture, etc.
- Directory of organizations (International, regional, national, and community-based)
- ARID Afrique: Le réseau sur la petite irrigation de l'Association Régionale sur l'Irrigation et le Drainage en Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
- "L'ARID est une association à but non lucratif créée en 1996 pour répondre à la demande des professionnels de l'irrigation du drainage et de la maîtrise des crues, en attendant que des comités nationaux de la Commission Internationale des Irrigations et du Drainage se mettent en place. En effect, elle couvre géographiquement 23 pays qui n'étaient pas représentés sur la scène internationale à la création de l'association."
- Voir aussi, le site en anglais.
- Association for the Development of Education in Africa = L'association pour le développement de l'éducation en Afrique (Paris, France)
- "The ADEA was established at the initiative of the World Bank in 1988. Its objective was to foster collaboration and coordination between development agencies in support of education in Africa. ADEA now focuses on developing partnerships between Ministers of Education and funding agencies..."
- Association of African Universities (AAU) = Association des Universités Africaines (Accra, Ghana)
"AAU was formed by 34 universities which adopted its constitution and formally inaugurated its association at a founding conference in Rabat, Morocco. It now has 140 members from 42 African countries. The secretariat in Accra is the permanent executive organ of the Association and operates under the direction of the Secretary-General. There is also an executive board consisting of a president, three vice-presidents and nine other members, all of whom are chosen at the quadrennial general conference."
- Association of Commonwealth Universities--The Africa Unit (London, UK)
- "...supported by the UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), formerly the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), and the Department for Employment and Learning Northern Ireland (DELNI)."
- Association des Femmes Africaines pour la Recherche et le Développement = Association of African Women for Research and Development AFARD-AAWORD (Dakar, Sénégal)
Ce site -- en construction -- offre les renseignements sur l'association et quelques exemplaires des publications. "Créée en 1977 par un petit groupe de femmes chercheuses africaines, l'Association a progressivement pris de l'importance et couvre actuellement presque tous les pays du continent..."
- Associations - O.N.G. Annuaire international africain via PlaneteAfrique.Com (Niamey, Niger)
- BCEAO: Banque Centrale des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest (Dakar, Senegal)
Sur ce site, on peut trouver les actualités de la banque et de l'Union Monétaire Ouest Africaine (UMOA).
- BEAC: Banque Centrale des Etats de l'Afrique Centrale (Yaoundé, Cameroun)
Ce site officiel comprend les actualités sur la Banque, plusieurs dossiers statistiques, les notes conjonctures actuelles, quelques rapports annuels d'activités de la Banque, et les diverses informations sur les économies des Etats membres (Cameroun, Centrafrique, Congo, Gabon, Guinée Equatoriale, et Tchad).
- Banque de France: La Zone Franc, 2003-- (Paris, France)
- BOAD: Banque Ouest Africaine de Développement (Lomé, Togo)
"BOAD est l'institution commune de financement du développement des Etats de l'Union Economique et Monétaire Ouest Africaine (UEMOA)." Sur ce site << officiel >> de la banque, on peut lire les actualités et les publications
. Voir aussi, le site de l'UEMOA
- Bellagio Publishing Network (Oxford, UK)
"BPN is an international solidarity network for publishing and book development in the south. For over a decade...a key information and knowledge provider, an enabling collaborative network, and a forum for discussion on issues of indigenous publishing, with special emphasis on Africa and the Caribbean."
- Boston College Center for International Higher Education: International Network for Higher Education in Africa (Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts)
[Established in 2003]...The center web site features directory information on US-based programs on African higher education, current and recent education news from Africa, African universities and research institutes, lists of experts on African higher education, and bibliographies of major publications from Africa and about African higher education.
- BREDA: Bureau régional de l'UNESCO pour l'éducation en Afrique (UNESCO, Dakar, Sénégal)
A ce site, on peut lire les actualités sur la planification et le développement de l'éducation en Afrique au Sud du Sahara. Le BREDA aussi assume le rôle de représentation de l'Unesco auprè de six pays de l'Afrique de l'Ouest: le Cap Vert, la Gambie, la Guinée-Bissau, le Liberia, le Sénégal et la Sierra Leone.
- Brookings Institution: Africa Growth Initiative (Washington, DC)
News, event information, and reports from this US-based think tank, with partners in Africa. "...brings together African scholars to provide policymakers with high-quality research, expertise and innovative solutions that promote Africa's economic development."
- CAMES: Conseil Africain et Malgache pour l'Enseignement Supérieur (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
- CAPAF--Programme de Renforcement des Capacités des Institutions de Microfinance en Afrique Francophone (Dakar, Sénégal)
Ce programme de formation [lancé en janvier 2000] est une initiative conjointe du Groupe consultatif d’assistance aux pauvres (CGAP) et du Ministère des Affaires étrangères français (MAE)....pour couvrir 14 pays d’Afrique francophone et Haïti.'
- CARE Village Savings & Loan Associations (New York)
With Pennies a Week, African Women Are Saving for Their Future.
- The Center for Global Development on Africa (Washington, DC)
- Centre for Higher Education Research and Information, Open University: The Role of Universities in the Transformation of Societies (London, UK)
See 2003 reports on Nigeria, Senegal, and South Africa (in PDF format).
- "Children in Africa" Web Dossier (September 2008) -- Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Centre and Leiden University Library, Documentation and Information Department, 2008.
- China-Africa Relations
- African Economic Research Consortium--Publications (Nairobi, Kenya)
--Search for "China-Africa economic relations" and "China-Africa in-depth country case studies"
- The Carter Center's China in Africa (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Center for Strategic and International Studies: China's Emerging Global Health and Foreign Aid Engagement with Africa (November 2011) by Charles Freeman and Xiaoqing Lu Boynton. -- Washington, DC: CSIS, 2011. 58 pages in PDF format
See also: Chinese version
- China-Africa News (Henry Hall and others, Africa-Asia Centre, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, London, UK)
- "China in Africa" Web Dossier (April 2008) -- Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Centre and Leiden University Library, Documentation and Information Department, 2008.
- ChinAfrica = Chinafrique. (Online) -- Beijing, République populaire de Chine : Beijing Review, 2001-
Official news from the Chinese government
in English, French, or Chinese.
- China in Africa: The Real Story (Prof. Deborah Brautigam, American University, Washington, DC)
- China. Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) -and- Department of African Affairs. (See People's Republic of China below)
- South African Institute of International Affairs -- China in Africa Project (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Stellenbosch University, Centre for Chinese Studies: Chinese in Africa-From Yellow River to the Nile (January 2013-) A series of articles by Su Junxia & Daniel Krahl. (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
- Zhejiang Normal University, Institute of African Studies (China)
- United Nations Climate Change Conferences, Cancun, Mexico (November 29-December 10, 2010) -and- Copenhagen, Denmark (December 7-18, 2009) (via Columbia University Libraries)
- Climate & Environment in Africa (via Columbia University Libraries)
Selected annotated links to web sites and documents of international and US organizations involved in climate and environmental research in Africa.
- CILSS--Comité permanent inter-états de lutte contre la sécheresse au Sahel (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
- Club du Sahel et de l'Afrique de l'Ouest = Sahel and West Africa Club (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development on West Africa = Organisation de coopération et de développement économiques; Paris, France)
- Commission de l'Océan Indien (Port Louis, Mauritius)
- Commission for Africa Report, March 11, 2005 Official site (London, UK)
- 16th Conference of Commonwealth Education Ministers, Cape Town, South Africa--Communiqué: December 11-14, 2006 (The Commonwealth Secretariat, London, UK)
- COMESA--Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (Lusaka, Zambia)
- This site provides information on banking, online trade directories for some countries, and many other links with an emphasis on business and economic information. "COMESA exists 'as an organisation of free independent sovereign states which have agreed to co-operate in developing their natural and human resources for the good of all their people'...with its 19 member states."
- Communauté Economique des Etats de l'Afrique Centrale = Economic Community of Central African States (Libreville, Gabon ; via Institute for Security Studies, Pretoria, South Africa)
- La CEEAC a été crée en octobre 1983 par les membres de l'Union Douanière et Economique de l'Afrique Centrale et les membres de la Communauté Economique des Pays des Grands Lacs, ainsi que Sao Tomé et Principe. En 1999, l'Angola est devenu membre.
- Communauté Economique et Monétaire de l'Afrique Centrale (CEMAC) (Bangui, République Centrafricaine)
- Communauté des Etats Sahélo-Sahariens = Community of Sahel-Saharan States (Tripoli, Libye ; via UN Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
An organization originally founded in Tripoli in February 1998 primarily committed to the goals of economic cooperation and development in the Sahelo-Saharan region.
- Conférence des Ministres de l'Agriculture de l'Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre (CMA/AOC) (Dakar, Sénégal)
"[Créée en 1991] CMA/AOC est une organisation inter-gouvernementale qui regroupe les Ministres de l'Agriculture et/ou de l'Elevage des 20 pays membres d'Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre."
Veuillez voir surtout: Base de données documentaire
- Coton africain et l'OMC dans les médias = African cotton and the WTO in the media
- Courrants de Femmes: Les Associations en Afrique de l'Ouest (Paris, France)
Un répertoire des associations locales de promotion féminine: plus de 100 associations africaines partenaires.
- Demographic & Health Surveys (DHS) (Macro International, Calverton, MD)
Search especially under "Obtaining Data" for reports on individual countries or the Sub Saharan Africa region.
- Development Gateway -- Country Gateway Network (Washington, DC)
- A reference clearinghouse of links to a wide variety of organizational websites with economic data for 160 countries...but only a selected number of African countries. [Originally founded by The World Bank, the DG has been an "independent", donor-funded organization since 2001.]
- Directory of Development Organizations 2011: Africa (Bert Wesselink, The Netherlands)
A compilation of contact information and list of web links in PDF format. Search by individual country.
- Droit-Afrique.Com: le droit des entreprises en Afrique francophone (Paris, France)
"Droit-Afrique.com, site généraliste et gratuit sur le droit des affaires et la fiscalité des 24 pays d'Afrique francophone, propose principalement: des textes de Codes, lois, décrets, arrêtés, conventions, doctrine; un portail internet recensant les sites contenant de l'information juridique africaine;et un annuaire des juristes d'affaires..."
- EarthLife Africa
An activist organization in South Africa & elsewhere.
- Earth Summit 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa (See "Johannesburg Summit 2002" below)
- East African Community = Jumuiya ya Afrika Mashariki (Arusha, Tanzania)
- This is the official website of the regional intergovernmental organization (encompassing Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda) which was (re)established in 1999 by treaty (see "Documents & Publications"). The site includes information about the EAC, current news, and related links.
- EAC Statistics Portal
- East African Development Library -- Paris, France: UNESCO Direction de l'Information et de l'Informatique, 1999. --via New Zealand Digital Library, University of Waikato, New Zeland.
A small archive of digitized documents furnished by the World Bank, FAO, UNDP, and other UN agencies on East African development.
- Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank (PTA) = Banque de la ZEP (Zone d'échanges préférentiels) (Nairobi, Kenya)
- ECOMAC-WAMI: Common Statistics Database for the Economic Community of West African Studies (ECOWAS Computer Centre, Lomé, Togo)
"The Common Statistics Database (CSD) contains a large variety of macro-economic statistics about: government revenues and expenditures, budget surplus, GDP ratio, central bank financing, public debt, etc." See also: West African Monetary Institute
- Economic Commission for Africa -- See UNECA: UN Economic Commission for Africa (Part of United Nations Agencies on Africa, compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
- ECOWAS: Economic Community of West African States = Communauté Economique des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest (Abuja, Nigeria; via Community Computer Centre, Lomé, Togo)
This site -- in English or in French -- offers information on the ECOWAS Secretariat, member states, activities, and current news on the West Africa region.
- EconPapers (Sune Karlsson, Swedish Business School, Örebro Universitet, Örebro, Sweden)
A searchable repository of research papers by economists working on development issues worldwide. Search under "Africa" or individual countries.
- ELDIS: Electronic Development and Environment Information System (Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK)
- An indexing service provided by IDS. Papers are selected from all over the Internet based on topics in African, Asian, and Latin American studies. Documents are produced by research institutes or international organizations. Some documents are electronic versions of printed works, while others are full online documents--with citations and bibliographies. The Africa country guides provide links to Web sites, as well. Note: Some documents listed in the search are only accessible at the IDS library, University of Sussex.
- ELDIS Home Page: select "country profiles", Eldis Online or Google Custom Searches
- Sub-Saharan Africa -and- North Africa & The Middle East development news and country profiles
- e-Learning Africa: 6th International Conference on ICT for Development, Education and Training,
May 25-27, 2011, Mlimani City Conference Centre, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Enda Tiers-Monde (environnement et développement du tiers-monde) (Dakar, Sénégal)
- Energy in Africa (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
A set of links to reports by international and US organizations, research institutes, e-news, e-journals, and official web sites of African Ministries of Energy and related sectors.
- Environmental Law Institute: African Environmental Law & Policy (Washington, DC)
This site offers downloadable research papers and project reports on various African countries, plus country-specific links to environmental law and general information. "...Partnering with activist African NGOs, ELI drafts and advances pragmatic and effective environmental laws and policies, analyzes and identifies options to improve the implementation of existing environmental law, and builds the capacity of local institutions and citizens in Africa to carry out these tasks independently."
- European Centre for Development Policy Management - ECDPM (Maastricht, The Netherlands; via Euforic)
Current news, publications and press releases in French, English, and Portuguese on European-African Union and bilateral African-European relations. "ECDPM aims to improve international cooperation between Europe and countries in Africa, the Caribbean, and the Pacific (ACP). It does this through capacity building for policy management, the promotion of policy dialogue between ACP countries and Europe, and the provision of information and facilities for knowledge exchange."
- The European Union/Commission on African Development, Environment, and Security (Brussels, Belgium)
- Africa and Europe in Partnership (Africa-EU)
- Africa-EU Summit, 29-30 November 2010, Tripoli, Libya
- Africa-EU Energy Partnership: High Level Meeting on Energy, 14-15 September 2010, Vienna, Austria
- The Africa-EU strategic partnership: a joint Africa-EU strategy (2007)
- Europafrica.net : news and resources on the Joint Africa-EU Strategy
"The Joint Strategy, adopted during the second Africa-EU Summit in Lisbon in December 2007, outlines a long term shared vision of the future of Africa-EU relations in a globalized world."
- European Commission on EU-Africa Relationships
Reports, country profiles, and press releases on EU-Africa relations...including the former Lomé Convention (EC Bilateral & Development Cooperation Relations with Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP) States.)
- EU--Africa Cotton Forum, July 2004
Documents and resources for the EU-Africa Cotton Forum on 5-6 July 2004 held in Paris, France.
- EITI: Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (Oslo, Norway)
- This site offers country reports on transparency of taxation and royalty payments in major extractive industries in countries around the world--including many in Africa. "[Since 2006] EITI is a coalition of governments, companies, civil society groups, investors and international organisations...the EITI Board...is appointed at the bi-annual EITI Global Conference."
- EITI Country Reports
- FARM-Africa (London, UK)
"FARM-Africa works at a grassroots level with rural communities in eastern Africa (& in South Africa), providing long term solutions to poverty. By working with farmers and herders to introduce new and innovative ways to increase food production and manage natural resources, we aim to improve their food security in a sustainable way."
-- See especially, FARM Africa Publications
: annual review, working papers, fact sheets, etc.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (Selected by Columbia University Libraries)
- Commission des Ministres en charge des Forêts d'Afrique Centrale (Belgique)
- Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) (Accra, Ghana)
The website features news on activities, conferences, and programmes."[Founded in 2002, hosted by the FAO Regional Office for Africa] FARA is...an umbrella organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research and development in Africa."
--See especially: FARA Knowledge Base
: project and organizational directories, plus news
--FARA Strategic Plan, 2007-2016
- France. Agence française de développement sur l'Afrique subsaharienne (Paris)
- France. Ministère de l'Economie, des Finances et de l'Industrie: Marchés Extérieurs -- Liste des pays (Ambassade de France, Mission économique; Paris)
- France. 25ème Sommet "Afrique-France," du 30 mai au 1er juin 2010, Nice (via France. Ministère des Affaires étrangères, Paris)
- Institut de la Francophonie pour le développement durable (Québec, Canada)
- "...organe subsidiaire de l'Organisation internationale de la Francophonie, est né en 1988..[et] dénommé jusqu'au 31 janvier 2013 l'Institut de l'énergie et de l'enivronnement de la Francophonie.
- IFDD Publications
- G8 Summit Meetings
- Global Development Research Center: Microfinance and Migrant Remittances (Africa) (Microcredit and Microfinance WWW Virtual Library, Kobe, Japan)
A selection of links to a bibliography and online reports from academic and organizational websites.
- Global Land Tool Network (UN-Habitat, Nairobi, Kenya)
"...[its] main objective is to contribute to poverty alleviation and the Millennium Development Goals through land reform, improved land management and security of tenure."
--See especially: GLTN e-Library -- Publications
- Le Hub Rural: Appui au développement rural en Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre =
The Rural Hub: Supporting rural development in Western and Central Africa (Dakar, Sénégal)
- Ce site met à la disposition du public des bases de données sur le développement rural--en format PDF; un annuaire des agences gouvernementales, des organismes privés, et des centres de recherche; en plus, un recueil des liens aux sites Web.
- Ressources en ligne = Resources online
- Voir aussi: Sahel point DOC ci-dessous
- id21 - Communicating Development Research
(UK Government Department for International Development and the Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, UK)
This site offers news from development agencies and researchers based in the UK about projects and recent publications; many of the news reports are on Africa. There are also many web links to research organizations and agencies.
- IBSA: India-Brazil-South Africa IBSA Trialateral (Brasilia, Brazil; Pretoria/Tshwane, South Africa; New Delhi, India)
- "Established in June 2003, IBSA is a coordinating mechanism amongst three emerging countries, three multiethnic and multicultural democracies, which are determined to contribute to the construction of a new international architecture...In 2004, the IBSA Trust Fund was created...to enhance South-South cooperation for the benefit of the most needed nations. Its purpose is to identify replicable and scalable projects that can be disseminated to interested developing countries as examples of best practices in the fight against poverty and hunger."
- Areas of cooperation
- 4th IBSA Summit, April 15, 2010, Brasilia, Brazil
- Selected papers and e-books ; a list of publications ; and, IBSA catalogue of books
- Institut Africaine de Gestion Urbaine (Dakar, Sénégal)
"Créé en 1987, l'IAGU...a pour principale mission: appuyer les municipalités et les autorités des villes de l'Afrique de l'Ouest et du Centre à renforcer leurs capacités de planification et de gestion pour améliorer la gouvernance locale ; promouvoir une gestion durable de l'environnement; et lutter contre la pauvreté."
--Veuillez voir surtout: Etudes de l'IAGU
- Institut de recherche pour le développement (IRD, Bondy, Île-de-France, France; Dakar, Sénégal)
- Ressources documentaires de l'IRD: toutes les publications
- Bibliothèque électroniques en partenariat Greenstone Digital Library
Ce site offre plusieurs collections de texte intégral en ligne, y compris celles de la Bibliothèque centrale de l'Université Cheikh Anta Diop (Dakar, Sénégal); à l'Université Gaston-Berger (Saint-Louis, Sénégal;) et, à l'Université d'Abomey-Calavi, Bénin
- IRD Laboratoire de Cartographie Appliquée
Un site en construction. Sur ce site, on peut apprendre les projets et les publications du laboratoire, y compris quelques extraits des réalisations récentes: cartes du Togo (sur les indices de dégradation des sols) et de l'Afrique central et de l'ouest (sur les précipitations moyennes annuelles); et plusieurs atlases: sur les migrations ouest-africaines et sur les pêcheries thonières tropicales, et un atlas de la ville Sokodé du Nord-Togo; de plus, en cours de réalisation: un atlas de l'Extrême-Nord Cameroun.
- ISRA--Institut sénégalais de recherches agricoles (Dakar, Sénégal)
"[ISRA est un]...établissement public à caractère scientifique, il a été créé en 1974 pour concevoir, organiser et mener à bien toutes les recherches relatives au secteur rural au Sénégal."
Veuillez voir surtout: Bibliothèque numérique de publications (1974-1999) Greenstone Digital Library Software
- Institute for Global Dialogue (Midrand, South Africa)
The Institute is an independent South African NGO broadly concerned with international affairs. The website offers selected issues of publications series since 2000 on African and international economic and political relations. See especially:
-- Global Dialogue, Global Insight, and Occasional Papers
- Intergovernmental Authority on Development = Autorité intergouvernementale pour le développement (IGAD, Djibouti)
"IGAD is the new name of the Authority superseding the Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD) which was created in 1986 by the six drought stricken countries of Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda to co-ordinate development in the Horn of Africa. The State of Eritrea became the seventh member of IGADD in September 1993 after its independence."
- International Association of Agricultural Information Specialists, Africa Chapter (Nairobi, Kenya)
- International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (Nairobi, Kenya)
The site offers information about on-going research by this international organization in human, animal, plant, and environmental health; plus a list of publications. "[Founded in 1970]...ICIPE is a tropical organisation: tropical insect science for development."
- International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development: Africa Documents and Current News (Geneva, Switzerland)
This site offers selected documents on trade negotiations and related matters -- in English or in French, in PDF format. "With a wide network of governmental, non-governmental and inter-governmental partners, ICTSD [since 1996] plays a unique systemic role as a provider of original, non-partisan reporting and facilitation services at the intersection of international trade and sustainable development."
- International Development Research Centre (Ottawa, Canada)
- IDRC Home Page
- IDRC Regional Office for West and Central Africa, Dakar, Senegal
- IDRC Regional Office for Eastern and Southern Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
- IDRC Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa, Cairo, Egypt
- Acacia Initiative : Communities and the Information Society in Africa
- IDRC Publications (General)
- SISERA: Secretariat for Institutional Support for Economic Research in Africa
- IDRC Focus Collection--Online Books:
-- Full list of online books
-- "African voices on structural adjustment": a companion to Our continent, our future (2002)
By Thandika Mkandawire and Charles C. Soludo.
-- "Language of instruction...Africa," Oct. 1997
: Working Group on Educational Research & Policy Analysis, Association for the Development of Education in Africa.
-- "Management of water demand in Africa & the Middle East," Oct. 1997
: by D.B. Brooks et al.(eds.)
-- "Communicating with adolescents about AIDS...eastern & southern Africa," March 1997
: by R. Nduati et al. (eds.)
-- "Politiques sociales en Afrique de l'Ouest et de Centre," mars 1997
: par H. Konate
-- "Telecommunications & universal service...South African effort," Sept. 1996
: by S.O Siochru
-- "Water management in Africa & the Middle East," May 1996
: by E. Rached et al.
-- "La communication participative pour le développement: un agenda ouest-africain," juin 1996
: par G. Bessette et C.V. Rajasunderam. (Or, see the English
-- "Grassroots indicators for desertification...eastern & southern Africa," Feb. 1996
by H. Hambly & T. Onweng Angura (eds.)
-- "Farming systems of the African savanna," Nov. 1995
: by Andrew Ker.
-- "Technology policy & practice in Africa," Oct. 1995
: by O.M. Ogbu et al. (eds.)
-- "L'intégration régionale en l'Afrique de l'Ouest: Résultats de la conférence...janvier 1993," septembre 1995
: par M.-C. Diop et R. Lavergne (eds.)
- International Finance Corporation on Sub-Saharan Africa (Washington, DC)
The IFC is a member of the World Bank Group. The site includes country information and general investment advice for Africa. See The World Bank below.
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) (Washington, DC)
"Through its policy analyses, which is of broad relevance to the developing world, IFPRI directly supports developing-country policymakers, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and civil society in their efforts to help the poor."
- IFPRI Home Page (General)
- IFPRI Publications -- Full List
- Search the IFPRI online bibliographic database
Selected reports on Africa in PDF format, with order information:
-- "Managing resources in erratic environments...Ethiopia, Niger, and Burkina Faso," by Nancy McCarthy ...[et al.] (2004). Research report ; 135.
--"Human capital, household welfare, and children's schooling in Mozambique," by Sudhanshu Handa ...[et al.] (2004). Research report ; 134.
--"Strategies for sustainable land management and poverty reduction in Uganda," by Ephraim Nkonya ...[et al.] (2004). Research report ; 133.
-- "Rebuilding after war: micro-level determinants of poverty reduction in Mozambique," by Kenneth R. Simler ...[et al.] (2003). Research report ; 132.
-- "Macroeconomic policy reforms and agriculture...Zimbabwe," by Romeo M. Bautista ...[et al.] (2002). Research report ; 128.
-- "Market institutions, transaction costs, and social capital in the Ethiopian grain market," by Eleni Z. Gabre-Madhin (2001). Research report ; 124.
-- "The Egyptian food subsidy system...options for reform," by Akhter U. Ahmed ...[et al.] (2001). Research report ; 119.
-- "Seasonal undernutrition in rural Ethiopia...functional significance," by Anna Ferro-Luzzi ...[et al.] (2001). Research report ; 118.
- "Structural adjustment and intersectoral shifts in Tanzania...equilibirum analysis," by Peter Wobst (2001). Research report ; 117.
-- "Access to credit and its impact on welfare in Malawi," by Aliou Diagne, Manfred Zeller (2001). Research report ; 116.
-- "Wheat policy reform in Egypt...future reforms," by Mylène Kherallah ...[et al.] (2000). Research report ; 115.
-- "Urban livelihoods and food and nutrition security in Greater Accra, Ghana," by Daniel Maxwell ...[et al.] (2000). Research report ; 112.
-- "Agricultural growth linkages in Sub-Saharan Africa," by Christopher L. Delgado ...[et al.] (1998) Research report ; 107.
- See also: ReSAKSS: Regional Strategic Analysis and Support System for African agricultural development studies
- International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) on Africa (UNESCO, Paris, France)
- Country training activities and reports. "IIEP has always been particularly active in the African region. Providing the tools to improve planning, policy analysis and management processes in Africa is a central focus of IIEP’s activities."
- See also: HIV/AIDS Impact on Education Clearinghouse on Africa: country profiles and reports
- International Institute for Environment and Development on Africa (London, UK)
General information and reports on various projects are available from this site; plus order information. "IIED is an independent, non-profit organization promoting sustainable patterns of world development through collaborative research, policy studies, networking and knowledge dissemination ... [Founded in 1971 in the United States] the institute comprises a multicultural, multilingual staff of over 70 people from 18 countries ... with offices in Edinburgh, Scotland and Dakar, Senegal."
- International Labour Organization, Regional Office for Africa (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Geneva, Switzerland)
"The Regional Office is responsible for leading, planning and coordinating the framework of projects and programs undertaken through ILO Decent Work Technical Support Teams (4) and Country Offices (9) throughout Africa...to better serve the tripartite constituents (Governments, Workers, Employers) and promote Decent work and Social Justice for All in Africa."
--ILO Africa Publications
- The International Monetary Fund on Africa (Washington, DC)