Instruction & Research Assistance
- Reference and Consultation Services
The Social Work Library is pleased to offer e-mail, telephone, and in-person reference assistance, library tours, research consultations, and other information services, designed with CUSSW students in mind.
- Ask a Librarian
For general reference and research assistance.
- Quick Search Service
For any book you cannot find on the shelves, fill out a search form at the Circulation Desk and we will notify you of its status by e-mail no later than 5 p.m. on the next business day.
- Request a Hold or Recall
If you need an item that has been checked out to another user, you may place a Recall request. Be sure to read the instructions and policies on the following page before submitting any requests.
- Request It
Request items through Interlibrary Loan, Borrow Direct, or intercampus delivery, or recommend a book for purchase.
- My Account
View your own circulation record and renew items online.
There are two photocopy machines in the Social Work Library in the Photocopy Room, located across from the instructional lab and to the right just before the stacks. One copier accepts paper bills and the other coins. Both accept Flex Account Cards (either CU ID with Flex Account or Flex Card).
- CU ID Flex Account
Students may use their CU ID to activate the Flex Account feature. To activate the Flex Account, there is a one time visit required to the CU ID Office, 204 Kent Hall. Once a student has activated their Flex Account, they may use Student Services Online (SSOL) to add funds.
- Flex Card
The Flex Card is used exclusively for library copy machines and can be purchased at any of the following campus locations:
- Avery Library
- Barnard College Library
- Business & Economics Library (Uris Hall)
- Butler Library
- Lehman Library (SIPA Building)
- Teachers College Library
- Columbia University Libraries Services & Policies
Information on access and circulation services and policies.
Access Services for Columbia Faculty & Staff
- In order to facilitate faculty requests for the preparation of course materials to be placed in reserves, Social Work faculty should email their syllabi to email@example.com. The Social Work Library will review your syllabus and place required readings on reserve. Reserve materials for all sections of a given course will be listed under the Library Reserves tab in CourseWorks, including links to any books or articles available in electronic format.
- Social Work Videos Reservation Request (for Faculty)
To reserve Social Work videos for classroom use, please send e-mail, including your name, title(s) of video(s) you are requesting, requested dates, and any other pertinent information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application for Deputy Borrower
All non-student Officers of the University may designate a Deputy Borrower within the Columbia University Libraries system. All material charged on that card will be the responsibility of the requesting officer.