Abbott, Merkt & Company
Founded in 1923 in New York City by Hunley Abbott and Oswald L. Merkt as an engineering and construction service for industrial plants, Abbott, Merkt & Company became one of the leading architecture and engineering firms on the East Coast after World War II, acquiring major commissions for commercial and industrial and commercial buildings and civil infrastructure throughout the United States and internationally.
This collection primarily contains architectural drawings, photographs, business records and reference materials related to the projects and designs of architectural and engineering firm Abbott, Merkt and Company. A subsidiary portion of the collection includes drawings, photographs and papers related to the career of Richard H. Tatlow, III, president of Abbott, Merkt & Co., and the firms and agencies for which he also worked; these include Harrington & Cortelyou, the Public Works Administration Records, United States. Dept. of Agriculture's Bureau of Public Roads, and the United States War Department. Records date from 1906 to 1994; the bulk are from between the 1950s and the 1970s.
Abbott, Merkt was especially well known in the planning and design of buildings with complex functions, often involving the storage and transfer of merchandise, and multi-use sites such as shopping centers and transportation facilities. Among Abbott, Merkt's most prominent commissions were major terminal and support facilities for Pan American World Airways at John F. Kennedy Airport and for Terminal B at Newark International Airport; department stores and merchandise warehouses across the country for such clients as Bamberger's, B. Altman, Hecht's, Macy's, J. C. Penney, Saks and Company, and Sears, Roebuck; major materials handling facilities for United Parcel Service and the United States Post Office; and parking structures across the East Coast.
In the last decade of practice, Abbott, Merkt also sought commissions abroad, designing numerous schools and commercial centers in France, Mexico, The Netherlands, Syria and Saudi Arabia. Ceasing operations in 1985, Abbott Merkt Architects, Inc., as it was then known, was acquired in 1987 by a subsidiary of the Los Angeles-based architecture and engineering firm Daniel Mann Johnson and Mendenhall (DMJM).