Cinema China, Culture China: A Chinese Film and Culture Festival
Presented by Columbia University Libraries & Lincoln Center October 17-21, 2011
Columbia University Libraries and Lincoln Center are pleased to present, Cinema China, Culture China, a five-day festival celebrating the relationship between the United States and China through cinematic and cultural perspectives.
The festival also commemorates the donation of a major collection of Chinese DVDs from Beauty Media Inc. to the C.V. Starr East Asian Library [Columbia University Libraries Press Release], a gift that transforms the Chinese film collection at Columbia University Libraries into the largest in the world of research libraries and further strengthens the more than 100-year-old relationship between Columbia University Libraries and China.
Please see the schedule of events for dates, times, and locations. Highlights include:
- A film festival of eight current, influential Chinese films with English subtitles
- Lectures and panels by acclaimed scholars from both the U.S. and China
- A graduate student conference on contemporary Chinese cinema
- Exhibitions of Chinese cultural heritage artifacts, including the Fujian Earthen Buildings Exhibit and an exhibit of Chinese Paper-Cut Art
- Performances by local artists from China, particularly the Tianjin Peking Opera Troupe
- An art exhibition, Xu Bing: Square Word Calligraphy Classroom, at the Wallach Art Gallery and the announcement of its generous donation to Columbia's C.V. Starr East Asian Library
The festival will provide the opportunity for students to have first-hand exposure to Chinese art and culture, inspiring new perspectives on day-to-day life in China and Chinese heritage, as well as revealing thoughts, views, and tastes reflected in Chinese movies, performances, and other cultural artifacts. It also offers the unique opportunity to communicate with top scholars in Chinese Studies.
Cinema China, Culture China is sponsored in partnership with Beauty Media Inc., the State Administration of Film, Radio and Television of the People’s Republic of China, the Ministry of Culture of the People’s Republic of China, the Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in New York, C.V. Starr Foundation, the Henry Luce Foundation, the Film Society of Lincoln Center, the Columbia Confucius Institute, the Columbia University School of the Arts, the Columbia University Seminar on the Sites of Cinema, the Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, and the American Fujianese Business Association. Visit our Festival Sponsors web page for more information.