Circulation & Reserves
All materials can be borrowed by CUID holders, unless they are on Reference, on Reserves, Folio-sized, or part of Rare and Special Collections. Reserves materials—items specified as required reading for East Asian courses—are kept behind the circulation desk and are handled by the circulation staff.
To find materials, check CLIO, the Columbia University Libraries online catalog. For Reserve materials, click the Course Reserves Tab.
- To find materials
All items on reserve are listed in CLIO. Click on the Course Reserves Tab.
- Requesting material
To request an item on reserve, write the call number on a slip of paper and present it to a circulation staff member. Please be sure to include the complete number, including dates if noted.
- Conditions of use
- Before 3:00 p.m., items may be charged out for 2-hour periods. The items may be renewed at the circulation desk if no other patron requests them.
- After 3:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday, regular reserve items—as opposed to last copy—may be checked out of the Library overnight, and are due back 1 hour after opening the following day.
- After 3:00 p.m. Friday, regular reserve items may be charged out for weekend loan and are due back 1 hour after opening on Monday.
- Last-copy reserve items must be read in the Library at all times, and do not circulate overnight.
- Checking out material
Please present your CUID when requesting materials.
Separate rates for reserve and stack material are in effect. Overdue fines must be paid by check. You may pay by credit card at Butler Library.
Please note that reserve fines are extremely high and are rigidly enforced. First hour fines are $2 and then accrue at the rate of $1 per hour.
- Note: During final exams and intersession, reserve regulations may vary. Any changes will be posted at the circulation desk.
- If you have any problems with reserve materials, please contact our Head of Access Services, Ken Harlin, by e-mail at email@example.com or telephone at (212) 854-4318.