This section lists bibliographies for Tibetological research in a wide range of disciplines. For bibliographies specific to history, anthropology, social sciences, religious studies, language and literature, art, and music, see the links to subject bibliographies provided below. For indices to journals and online bibliography of Tibetan-language journal articles, see the Periodicals section of this guide.
- Karma dgon Tibetan Bibliography Database
Contains about 40,000 records.
- Dan Martin's Tibet Scholarship Bibliography ("Tibschol")
The 1,700 page bibliography, last updated February 2010, is arranged by author and contains 20,000 entries. Available via a link in the author's website, Tibetological. See the sitemap on right, click on "Links for Tibskrit and Tibschol (& TibHist, & TibProp)" and then scroll halfway down the page. Alternatively, the Word .doc version can also be accessed directly via Dropbox, courtesy of Dan Martin; see here. For ongoing recommendations by Dan Martin, see his blog Tibeto-logic.
- Dan Martin's Bibliography of Tibetan Buddhist Studies ("Tibskrit")
Follow instructions for above resource, or access directly here in Dropbox, courtesy of Dan Martin, A 2,883 page bibliography of Tibetan Buddhist Studies, arranged by religious text title in Sanskrit and by the (Tibetan) author of commentaries.
In the words of Dan Martin: "This work includes Tibetan genres of a broadly philological nature (with some emphasis on the more strictly literary, grammatical and lexicographical), above all and primarily those located at the Tibetan Indian interface, including such works that were originally authored in South Asian languages, primarily Sanskrit, but at the same time not excluding Prakrit, Apabhraṃśa, Hindi, Sinhalese, Pāli and so on."
- Dan Martin's Tibetan Histories: Addenda et Corrigenda ("Tibhist")
Addenda and corrections to the author's print bibliography, Tibetan Histories: A Bibliography of Tibetan-Language Historical Works, Serindia Publications (London 1997). A description and link to the free Word-version can be found on the author's website here. The original print bibliography "Tibetan Histories" has been scanned by Google, a preview is available here. For library holdings, see Z3107.T5 M37 1997g
- Tibetan & Himalayan Library's Thematic Bibliographies
Extensive online bibliographies, organized by subject.
- Chibetto kenkyu bunken mokuroku 1996-
Available as a database at the Japanese Association for Tibetan Studies' website.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS)
640,000 records on all subjects (especially in the humanities and the social sciences) pertaining to East, Southeast, and South Asia published worldwide from 1971 to the present. Through the 1991 printed version, the BAS included citations to Western-language periodical articles, monographs, chapters in edited volumes, conference proceedings, anthologies, and Festschriften, etc. Monographs since 1992 excluded.
- China's Tibetology Research Center (Zhongguo zangxue yanjiu zhongxin)
This research institute of Tibetan studies, sponsored by the Chinese government, hosts a bibliography at: http://www.tibetology.ac.cn/
The website introduces the institute, organization, academic staff, research projects and publications. Includes news related to area development, photos research resources, scholars and their works, bibliographies, and important topics. Introduces Tibetan religion and culture, and its social and economic development. Includes lists of research institutions and links to other sites of Tibetan studies. Their reprinting of archival material is one of the most useful aspects of their work. Search "Publisher" field for "Kruṅ-go'i Bod kyi śes rig par khang" or "Zhongguo zang xue chu ban she" in WorldCat for hundreds of results.
- Hathi Trust, for archived and searchable texts: http://www.hathitrust.org/
- Googlebooks, esp for pre-1923 resources. http://books.google.com/
- For Chinese-language scanned books, see http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/
- Hallvard Kare Kuloy and Yoshiro Imaeda, comps. Bibliography of Tibetan Studies. Narita: Naritasan Shinshoji, 1986.
- Chibetto no rekishi shūkyō gengo minzoku ni kansuru kihonteki shiryō no sōgōteki kenkyū: Tōyō Bunko shozō Chibettogo kanpon mokuroku チベットの歴史・宗教・言語・民俗に関する基本的資料の総合的研究 : 東洋文庫所蔵チベット語刊本目錄 / 研究代表者福田洋一. Kenkyū daihyōsha Fukuda Yōichi. [Tokyo : Tōyō Bunko], Heisei 3 .
- Sadakane Ayako. (1982 & 1997) Chibetto kenkyû bunken mokuroku A bibliography of Tibetan studies 1877-1977, 1978-1995, 2 vols., Tôkyô: Kôka Shoten. v.1 DS786 .S229 1982, v.2 DS786 .S23 1997
There is an important difference between the two volumes. The first volume only deals with Japanese and Chinese materials. The second volume includes Western materials together with Japanese/Chinese ones. (Thanks to Han-ung Kim for this information).
- Catalogue of Chinese Publications in Tibetan Studies v. 1: 1949-1990, v. 2: 1991-1995, v. 3: 1996-2000 (listings in English, Tibetan and Chinese). Z3107.T5 C48 1997
- Attar, Chand. Tibet, Past and Present: A Select Bibliography with Chronology of Historical Events, 1660-1981. New Delhi, 1981.
This bibliography, focused mostly on political history, is especially useful for locating references to otherwise difficult-to-find journal articles.