Maps & Social Data
GIS (Geographic Information System) Resources
- China Data Online
Columbia University Libraries have purchased GIS Maps and Statistical Data packages through China Data Online for all regions with concentrated Tibetan populations in the PRC; namely, the Tibetan Autonomous Region (Xizang), Qinghai Province, Gansu Province, Sichuan Province and Yunnan Province. The maps and database are a project of the University of Michigan. The data is detailed at the township level and includes thousands of variables regarding education, economy, demography, etc. The maps can be accessed remotely via the Databases portal in CLIO or onsite at the Data Service, located on the lower level of Lehman Library. Computer stations and expert assistance are available 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. The workstations can also be accessed on the weekends. A Columbia UNI (University Network ID) is required to log in. Qualified off-campus users can obtain a reader's card at the Butler Library.
- See Andrew Fisher (State Growth and Social Exclusion in Tibet: Challenges of Recent Economic Growth, NIAS Report no. 47, Copenhagen: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, 2005) for a critical discussion and illustration of how Chinese state statistics can be used for meaningful research. For further assistance, contact Jeremiah Trinidad-Christensen (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Data Service, Lehman Library.
Other GIS Resources
- China Historical Geographic Information System
The China Historical Geographic Information System, CHGIS, project was launched in January 2001 to establish a database of populated places and historical administrative units for the period of Chinese history between 222 BCE and 1911 CE. CHGIS provides a base GIS platform for researchers to use in spatial analysis, temporal statistical modeling, and representation of selected historical units as digital maps.
- The Columbia Gazetteer of the World [electronic resource] / Saul B. Cohen, editor. [New York] : Columbia University Press, c2001- This resource lists all county seats (mostly using Chinese names) as well as population and local products.
- Plateau Perspectives: Environmental protection & community development in the Tibetan Plateau region of China
Political maps of Qinghai down to the xian/county (Chinese only)
- THL Tibetan & Himalayan Place Dictionary (formerly Gazetteer)
Only Central Tibet.
- Tibet Map Institute
Tibet Administrative Maps
- Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center (place search)
- Tibet Outside the TAR
CD-ROM available for purchase from the International Campaign for Tibet. Features scans with clear borders of Chinese maps of Tibetan prefectures. List of Tibetan administrative seats outside the TAR giving Tibetan and Chinese spellings (and characters), pp. 2433-2450.