SELECTED PRINT REFERENCE SOURCES FOR AFRICAN CIVILIZATIONS (2010)
Columbia locations and call numbers indicated.
- Africa south of the Sahara. Annual. London: Europa, 1971--
Lehman REF: DT351.A35
Barnard REF: DT351 .A35
Latest volume in reference departments; back issues in stacks.
-- See also: Europa world plus. New York: Routledge; Taylor & Francis, 2007-
- Africa today. 3rd ed. Know Africa series. London: Africa Journal, Ltd. for Africa Books, 1996.
Lehman Stacks (Non-Circulating): DT1.A2542
- Africa who's who. 3rd ed. Know Africa series. London: Africa Journal, Ltd. for Africa Books, 1996.
Butler REF: RO49.2 Af825
Lehman Stacks (Non-Circulating): DT18.A22
- Africana: the encyclopedia of the African and African-American experience. 5 vols. Edited by Kwame Anthony Appiah and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (Oxford, UK ; New York: Oxford University Press, 2005)
Butler REF: R960 Af8321
Lehman REF: DT14 .A37435 2005
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: DT14 .A37435 2005
--See also: Oxford African American studies center
- Arnold, Guy. Political and economic encyclopaedia of Africa. Detroit, MI: Gale Research Co., c1993.
Lehman REF: DT20.A844
- Brockman, Norbert C. (comp.) An African biographical dictionary. 2nd ed. New York: Grey House Pub., c2006. (667 p.)
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: DT18 .B76 2006g
Butler REF, 301 Butler: R049.2 B782
Lehman REF: DT18 .B76 2006g
- Cook, Chris. African political facts since 1945. 2nd ed. New York: Facts on File, c1991.
Lehman REF: DT30.C594 1991
- Encyclopedia of the African diaspora: origins, experiences, and culture. 3 vols. Ed. by Carole Boyce Davies. (Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2008)
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: DT16.5 .E53 2008
- Encyclopedia of African history. 3 vols. Ed. by Kevin Shillington. (New York : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2005)
Butler REF R960 En188
Barnard REF DT20 .E53 2005
- How to Cite Print and Internet Resources--Hacker, Diana. The Bedford Handbook, 7th Edition: Research and Documentation Online.
New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
--Walker, Janice R. and Todd Taylor. The Columbia Guide to Online Style. 2nd ed. New York: Columbia University Press, 2006.
--Columbia University Libraries. How to Cite Internet Resources
- Makers of modern Africa. 3rd ed. Know Africa series. London: Africa Journal, Ltd. for Africa books, 1996.
Lehman Stacks (Non-Circulating): DT1.A3 1996
- Moss, Joyce and George Wilson. Peoples of the world: Africans south of the Sahara. New York: Gale Research Co., c1991.
Lehman REF: GN645.M6 1991
- New encyclopedia of Africa, 5 vols. Editor in chief, John Middleton; editor, Joseph C. Miller. Detroit: Thomson/Gale, c2008.
African Studies Reading Room (607 Butler): DT2 .N48 2008, v.1-5
Butler REF (301 Butler): R960 N42, v.1-5
- Oxford African American Studies Center. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008-
--Content includes: Africana (5 volumes); Encyclopedia of African American history; Black women in America--2nd edition; and, the African American national biography.
- The Oxford encyclopedia of African thought. Editors in chief, F. Abiola Irele and Biodun Jeyifo. 2 vols.
New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
African Studies Reading Rm, 607 Butler: DT14 .I74 2010
- Political leaders of contemporary Africa south of the Sahara: a biographical dictionary. Ed. by Harvey Glickman. Westwood, NY: Greenwood Press, 1992.
Lehman REF: DT352.8.P63 1992
- Rake, Alan. 100 great Africans. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1994.
Butler REF: R049.2.R11
- Sheldon, Kathleen E., Historical dictionary of women in Sub-Saharan Africa. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2005.
Lehman REF: HQ1787 .S44 2005
Barnard REF: HQ1787 .S44 2005
- Wiseman, John A. Political leaders in Black Africa: a biographical dictionary of the major politicians since independence. Brookfield, VT: E. Elgar, c1991.
Lehman REF: DT352.8.W57 1991
Butler REF: R049.2.W75
- Cultural atlas of Africa. Ed. by Jocelyn Murray. New York: Facts on File, 1981.
Lehman REF: DT14.C83 1981
Barnard REF: DT14.C83 1981
Fine Arts: N7380.C899
- Freeman-Grenville, G.S.P. The new atlas of African history. New York: Simon & Schuster, c1991.
Lehman REF: G2446.S1 F73 1991
Butler REF: R911.F877
- Griffiths, I.L.. An atlas of African affairs. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, 1994.
Lehman REF: G2445.G7 1994
College: G2445.G7 1994g
Barnard: G2445.G7 1994g
- Historical atlas of Africa. Ed. by J. F. Ade Ajayi et al. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1985.
Butler REF ATLAS: R912.H62
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler (South Table): G2446.S1 H5 1985
- Kwamena-Poh, Michael [...et al.] African history in maps. New York: Longman Group, 1982.
Lehman REF: G2446.S1 A4 1982
College RESERVES: G2446.S1 A4 1982
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: G2446.S1 A4 1982
- Murray, Jocelyn. Africa. Cultural atlas for young people. New York: Facts on File, 1990.
Lehman ATLAS collection: DT19.M87 1990
Ideas of Africa
- Clark, Andrew and Lucie Colvin Phillips. Historical dictionary of Senegal. 2nd ed. African historical dictionaries; no. 65. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1994.
Lehman REF: DT549.5.C57 1994
Butler Stacks: DT549.5 .C57 1994
See entry on Cheikh Anta Diop; others.
- Ofcansky, Thomas P. "Julius Nyerere: a bio-bibliography." In Africana Journal. 15 (1990) : 331-41.
Lehman REF: Z3503.A371 v.15
- Sicherman, Carol. Ngugi wa Thiong'o: a bibliography of primary and secondary sources, 1957-1987. London: H. Zell Publishers, 1989.
Butler REF: R897.N4995 A5
- Twentieth century Caribbean and Black African writers, second series. Dictionary of literary biography; v. 125. Ed. by B. Lindfors and R. Sanders. Detroit: Gale Research, 1993.
Butler REF : R040 D564 v.125
See entry for Ngugi wa Thiong'o.
Guides on African archaeology, art, film, literature, & music
- African Diaspora and African Literatures at Columbia University Libraries (A bibliography of resources in print and on the Internet)
- African Oral Tradition, History and Literature at Columbia University Libraries (A bibliography of resources in print, electronic, and audio-visual formats.)
- African writers. Ed. by C. Brian Cox. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, c1997. 2 v.
Butler REF: R897.8 Af83 v. 1-2
Barnard: PL8010 .A453 1997 v. 1-2
- Armes, Roy. Dictionary of African filmmakers. (Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, c2008)
Butler REF: R809.22 Ar54
- The Arts of Africa: an annotated bibliography. 5 v. Ed. by Janet Stanley, The Smithsonian Institution, Libraries, National Museum of African Art Branch. Atlanta, GA : African Studies Association,1986-1991.
Fine Arts REF: N1 Ar777
- The companion to African literatures. Ed. by Douglas Killam, Ruth Rowe. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 2000.
Butler REF: R897.8 C738
Barnard REF: PR9340.C65 2000
- Lawal, Ibironke O. Metalworking in Africa south of the Sahara : an annotated bibliography. African special bibliographic series; no. 19 Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1995.
Butler REF: R016.96 L414
- Lems-Dworkin, Carol. African music: a pan-African annotated bibliography. London: Hans Zell, 1991.
Music REF: ML120.A35 L4 1991
- Lems-Dworkin, Carol [...et al.]. Videos of African and African-related performance: an annotated bibliography. Evanston, Ill. : C. Lems-Dworkin, c1996.
Butler REF R016.80924
Lehman REF DT19.7.Z9 A35 1996g
- Lindfors, Bernth. Black African literature in English, 1982-1986. London: Hans Zell, 1989.
Butler REF: R016.82.L64 Suppl. 2
- Lindfors, Bernth. Black African literature in English, 1987-1991. London: Hans Zell, 1995.
Butler REF: R016.82.L64 Suppl. 3
- Lindfors, Bernth. Black African literature in English, 1997-1999.Oxford: Hans Zell, 2003.
Butler REF: R016.8978 L64 Suppl. 5
- Ridinger, Robert B.M. African archaeology: a selected bibliography. New York: G.K. Hall, 1993.
Butler REF: R016.96.R43
- Schmidt, Nancy J. Sub-Saharan African films and filmakers, 1987-1992: an annotated bibliography. London: Hans Zell, 1994.
Butler REF: R016.08922 Sch551
- Stanley, Janet. African art: a bibliographic guide. Smithsonian Institution Libraries research guide; 4. New York: Africana Pub. Co., 1985.
Fine Arts REF: N7380.ASt25
- Twentieth-century Caribbean and Black African writers: first series. Detroit: Gale Research, 1992.
Butler REF: R040.D564 v.117
Barnard REF: PS129.D5 v.117
- Twentieth-century Caribbean and Black African writers: second series. Detroit: Gale Research, 1993.
Butler REF: R040.D564 v.125
Barnard REF: PS129.D5 v.125
- Westley, David. Choice of language and African literature: a bibliographic essay. Working paper series; no. 145. Boston: African Studies Center, 1990.
Lehman stacks: DT1.W67 no. 145
- Westley, David. Female circumcision and infibulation in Africa. Electronic journal of Africana bibliography (EJAB) Vol. 4, no. 1 (1999).
Ethiopia & Eritrea
- Abbink, J. Eritreo-Ethiopian studies in society and history: a aupplementary bibliography 1960-1995. Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Center, 1996.
Butler REF: R016.963 Ab197
- Abbink, J. Ethiopian society and history: a bibliography of Ethiopian studies 1957-1990. Research reports (Rijksuniversiteit te Leiden. Afrika-Studiecentrum); no. 45. Leiden, The Netherlands: African Study Centre, 1991.
Butler REF: R016.963 Ab2
- Addis Ababa: a pocket guide to Ethiopia's capital city. Addis Ababa: Ethiopian Tourism Commission, 1987.
Lehman REF: DT390 .A3 A44 1987g
- Bizuneh, Belete. Women in Ethiopian history: a bibliographic review. Working papers in African studies;
no. 250. Boston, MA: African Studies Center, Boston University, c2004.
Lehman stacks: DT1 .W67 no.250
- Bonk, Jon. An annotated and classified bibliography of English literature pertaining to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Metuchen, NJ : American Theological Library Association and Scarecrow Press, 1984.
Butler stacks: Z7845.Y32 B66 1984
- Encyclopaedia Aethiopica. Ed. by Siegbert Uhlig...[et al.].Wiesbaden, Germany: Harrassowitz, 2003-
Butler REF, Rm. 301: R963 En19, v.1-3
- Ethiopia: a country study. 4th ed. Washington: The Library of Congress and the U.S. Dept. of the Army, 1993.
Lehman REF: DT373.E83 1993
- Ethiopian Mapping Agency. National atlas of Ethiopia. Addis Ababa: Ethiopian Mapping Authority, 1988.
Lehman ATLAS collection: G2505.E83 1988g
- Fegley, Randall. Eritrea. World bibliographical series; v. 181. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, c1995.
Lehman REF: DT393 .F44 1995g
- Hancock, Graham [... et al. ] The Beauty of historic Ethiopia. Nairobi, Kenya: Camerapix, 1994.
Butler stacks: DT378.3.H36 1994
- Killion, Tom. Historical dictionary of Eritrea. African historical dictionaries; no. 75. Lanham, M.D.: Scarecrow Press, 1998.
Lehman REF: DT394 .K55 1998
- Milkias, Paulos. Ethiopia: a comprehensive bibliography. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1989.
Lehman REF: Z3521.M55 1989
Butler REF: R016.963.M59
- Munro-Hay, Stuart and Richard Pankhurst. Ethiopia. World bibliographical series; v. 179. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, c1995.
Lehman REF: Z3521 .M85 1995g
- Ofcansky, Thomas P. "The Italian-Ethiopian War: a selected bibliography, part 1 and part 2." African research and documentation. Nos. 88-89 (2002): 65-81; 19-47.
Lehman REF: Z3503 .A32
- Papstein, R.J. Eritrea: a tourist guide. Lawrenceville, N.J.: Red Sea Press, 1995.
Lehman REF: DT393 .P37 1995
- Research and Information Centre on Eritrea. Bibliography on Eritrea. Rome : The Centre, 1982. (Note: many of the citations are for sources in Italian.)
Lehman REF: Z3523.E7 R47 1982
- Shinn, David H. and Thomas P. Ofcansky. Historical dictionary of Ethiopia. New edition. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2004.
Lehman REF: DT381 .S55 2004
- Catchpole, Brian and I.A. Akinjogbin. A History of West Africa in maps and diagrams. London: Collins Educational, .
Lehman REF: DT475.C37
- Imperato, Pascal James and Gavin H. Imperato. Historical dictionary of Mali. 4th ed. Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2008.
Lehman REF: DT551.5 .I46 2008
- Stamm, Andrea [...et al.] Mali. World bibliographical series; v. 207. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, c1998.
Lehman REF: Z3716 .S73 1998g
For the Dogon, see books listed in CLIO, check General guides on African archaeology, etc., and check journals listed in Selected Journals, especially African Arts.
Africans Abroad and Returned
- Encyclopedia of the Middle Passage. Edited by Toyin Falola and Amanda Warnock. (Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2007)
Butler REF R326.9 En2
See also: New encyclopedia of Africa -and- Oxford African American Studies Center.
- Gorée: the island and the historical museum. (Dakar): IFAN-Cheikh Anta Diop, 1993.
Avery stacks: AA1597 Se4 G662
- Encyclopedia Zimbabwe. Harare, Zimbabwe: Quest Pub., 1987.
Lehman REF: DT962.E53 1987
- Potts, Deborah. Zimbabwe. Rev. & expanded ed. World bibliographical series; v. 4. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, c1993.
Lehman REF: DT2891.P67 1993g
- Rubert, Steven C. and R. Kent Rasmussen. Historical dictionary of Zimbabwe. 3rd ed. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2001.
Lehman REF and Barnard REF: DT2925 .R83 2001
- Vogel, Joseph O. Great Zimbabwe: the Iron Age in South Central Africa. Garland reference library of the humanities; v. 1487. Research guides to ancient civilizations; v. 2. New York: Garland, 1994.
Butler stacks: Z3578.V64 1994
- Who is who in Zimbabwe. Ed. by William Saidi. Harare: Roblaw, c1992.
Lehman REF: DT2998.W56 1992g
- Zimbabwe: a country study. 2nd ed. Washington: The Library of Congress and the U.S. Dept. of the Army, 1983.
Lehman REF: DT962.Z55 1983
Writers as Public Intellectuals
- Dictionary of literary biography yearbook 1986. Detroit: Gale Research, 1987.
Butler REF : R040 D565
Barnard REF: PS129 .D5
See entry on Wole Soyinka.
- Gibbs, James. Wole Soyinka: a bibliography of primary and secondary sources. Bibliographies and indexes in Afro-American and African studies; no. 7. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1986.
Butler stacks: Z8828.73 .G5 1986
Barnard REF: Z8828.73.G5 1986
- Léopold Sédar Senghor: bibliographie. 2nd ed. Dakar: Foundation Léopold Sédar Senghor, 1982.
Butler stacks: Z8807.84.S46 1982g
- Limb, Peter and Jean-Marie Volet. Bibliography of African literatures. Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press, c1996.
Butler REF: R016.8978 L62
Barnard REF: Z6514.C7 A38 1996
- Nigeria, a country study. 5th ed. Ed. by Helen Chapin Metz. Washington, D.C.: Headquarters, Dept. of the Army; For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1992.
Lehman REF: DT515.22.N53 1992
- Okpu, B.M. Chinua Achebe: a bibliography. Lagos, Nigeria : Libriservice, c1984.
Butler stacks: Z8012.6.O38
- Oyewole, A. Historical dictionary of Nigeria. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1987.
Lehman REF: DT515.15.O94 1987
- Twentieth century Caribbean and Black African writers, first series. Dictionary of literary biography, v. 117. Detroit: Gale Research, 1992.
Butler REF: R040 D564 v.117
Barnard REF: PS129.D5 v.117
See entry for Chinua Achebe.
- Twentieth century Caribbean and Black African writers, second series: Dictionary of literary biography, v. 125. Ed. by B. Lindfors and R. Sanders. Detroit: Gale Research 1993.
Butler REF : R040 D564 v.125
Barnard REF: PS129.D5 v.125
See entry for Wole Soyinka.
For Abbé Boilat, Sembène Ousmane, and other figures and topics, see Historical dictionary of Senegal (1994). Also: General Reference, and General guides on African archaeology, etc..
Note: Recent issues of these journals are found in the current periodicals reading room of the library indicated in brackets. Older issues are bound and arranged by call number in the stacks. Check CLIO for call numbers! Back issues (3 years or older) for a few titles below are also available online via JSTOR--African Studies.
- Africa Confidential. (London) [ LEHMAN ]
- African Affairs. (London) [ LEHMAN ]A scholarly journal of politics and history. For Columbia only: 2000 to present online. (via EBSCO)
- African Archaeological Review. (Cambridge)
[ BUTLER stacks only]A scholarly journal of archaeology and history.
- African Arts. (Los Angeles) [ FINE ARTS ]A scholarly magazine on contemporary African art and art history. For Columbia only: 1998 to present online (via WilsonWeb Art Full Text).
- African Studies Review. (Atlanta) [ LEHMAN ]The scholarly journal of the African Studies Association of the United States. See also: 2005 to present (via Project Muse)
- ASA News. (Atlanta) [ LEHMAN ]The official quarterly newsletter of the African Studies Association of the United States.
For Columbia only: online since 2007 (via Black Studies Center)
- Azania. (Nairobi) [ BUTLER stacks only ]The scholarly journal of the British Institute in Eastern Africa, featuring research in the archaeology and history of Eastern Africa.
- Canadian Journal of African Studies. (Montreal) [ LEHMAN ]The scholarly journal of the Canadian African Studies Association.
- International Journal of African Historical Studies. (Boston) [ BUTLER ]The scholarly journal of the African Studies Center of Boston University.
- Jeune Afrique L'Intelligent. (Paris) [ LEHMAN ]A weekly news magazine in French.
- Journal of African History. (Cambridge) [ BUTLER; BARNARD; LEHMAN--through 1998 only ]
For Columbia only: 1997 to present online.
- Journal of Modern African Studies. (London) [LEHMAN; BARNARD]African contemporary politics and political history journal. For Columbia only: 1997 to present online.
- New African. (London) [ BUSINESS ]A monthly news magazine. For Columbia only: see also, 1998 to present online.
- Research in African Literatures. (Bloomington, IN) [ BUTLER ]One of the most important scholarly journals in African literary studies. For Columbia only: See also, Project Muse for current issues of the electronic version of this title.