Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival (ADIFF, New York)
- ADIFF 2014 to be held November 28-December 14, 2014 in various venues in New York City, including Columbia University Teachers College & Symphony Space Theater (in Manhattan)
- Fall/Winter ADIFF 2014 Highlights
- "African Heritage Challenges: Development and Sustainability," 15-16 May 2015, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, University of Cambridge, UK Call for Papers
- African Heritage Initiative: "African Studies in the Digital Age." November 10-18, 2014, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor A ten-day workshop ; free registration is required.
- African Literature Association 41st Annual Conference--"African Futures and Beyond: Visions in Transition," June 3-6, 2015, University of Bayreuth, GermanyAbstracts and proposals due November 30, 2014.
- African Studies Association of the United States: 57th Annual Meeting of the ASA, "Rethinking Violence, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation," November 20-23, 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)See especially: 2014 Preliminary program
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Boston University, African Studies Center (Boston, Massachusetts): 23rd Annual Graduate Studies Conference in African Studies, March 27-28, 2015The deadline for paper proposals is February 1, 2015.
- CRASSH--Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, & Humanities: "Pursuing Justice in Africa," March 27-28, 2015, Cambridge, UK (University of Cambridge, UK)The deadline for abstracts is November 28, 2014.
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Dakar 2014--XVe Sommet de la Francophonie, du 29 au 30 novembre 2014, Dakar, Sénégal
- ECAS-6 : Sixth European Conference on African Studies--"Collective Mobilisations in Africa: Contestation, Resistance, Revolt," 8-10 July 2015, Université Paris-Sorbonne, France.
- 12th Ghana International Book Fair, Accra, Ghana, November 4-8, 2014
- Harvard University, Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Indian Ocean World Centre, McGill University: "Currencies of Commerce in Greater Indian Ocean World," 22-24 April 2015 (Montréal, Canada)
The deadline for proposals is October 31, 2014!
- New York Law School: Twenty Years of South African Constitutionalism, November 14-16, 2014 (New York)
***Registration fee."This symposium seeks to generate an interdisciplinary encounter that is both wide-ranging and firmly focused on the persistent question of what law can accomplish and how."
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- 14th Nigeria International Book Fair, May 11-16, 2015, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos State, Nigeria
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Pennsylvania: Africa Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- The University of Texas at Austin: 2015 Annual Africa Conference -- "Development, Urban Space, and Human Rights in Africa," April 3-5, 2015 -- Call for Papers (Austin, Texas)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 18th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Waves & Visions of Hope" 18-26 July 2015 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2014 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."