Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- ACASA--Arts Council of the African Studies Association of the United States -- 17th Triennial Symposium on African Art, August 8-13, 2017, University of Ghana, Legon--"Call for Papers"
***Final deadline for proposals is November 1, 2016.
- The Africa Center--Blog (New York)
- The Africa Desk: a portal for Africanists in the UK and Africa (London, UK)
News about events, publications, and research associations on Africa in the UK. "...a collaboration between the British Academy and the African Studies Association of the UK, with support from The Association of Commonwealth Universities and SCOLMA, the UK Africanists librarians group."
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival (ADIFF, New York)
- Events held throughout the year in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. In New York, the screenings and other events are held in various venues, including Columbia University Teachers College & Symphony Space Theater (in Manhattan)
- ADIFF--Washington, DC, August 18-20, 2017
- FIFDA---Paris, France, du 8 au 10 septembre 2017
- ADIFF--New York, July 28-30, 2017--"Black Europe"
- ADIFF-Chicago, June 9-15, 2017
- ADIFF 2017--Music and Society Film Series, New York, April 28-30, 2017
- ADIFF 2017--Black History Month, February 24-26, 2017
- "African Knowledges, Alternative Futures" -- Toyin Falola @65 Conference, January 29-31, 2018, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Call for Papers
: paper abstracts due October 30, 2017, with full papers due by January 15, 2018.
- African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific: 40th AFSAAP Annual Conference, 23-24 November 2017, Adelaide, Australia (via Adelaide, Australia)
--The deadline for proposals was June 1, 2017.
- African Studies Association of the United Kingdom: Annual Conference of ASAUK, September 11-13, 2018, University of Birmingham, UK -- "Call for Thematic Streams"
--The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2017.
- African Studies Association of the United States (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- 2nd International Conference on African Urban Planning, September 7-8, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal (African Urban Planning Research Network, University of Lisbon, Portugal)
--See also: Abstracts & programme from International Conference on Colonial and Postcolonial African Urban Planning, September 5-6, 2013, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- AfroEuropeans 2017: "Black Cultures and Identities in Europe," July 6-8, 2017, University of Tampere, Finland
--See especially: Final Programme
- "Black Portraiture[s] IV: The Color of Silence," March 15-17, 2018, Havana, Cuba---"Call for Papers" (via New York University, New York)
"...the eighth conference in a series of conversations about imaging the black body. We invite artists, activists, and scholars to reflect on the visual expressions of national imaginaries and political ideologies that negate racial differences and render black subjects invisible." This site also includes highlights from "Black Portraiture[s] III" held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
--The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2017!
- 15th edition "Sauti za Busara" Music Festival, Zanzibar, Tanzania, 8-11 February 2018 (Busara Promotions, Tanzania)
"...since 2003. Sauti za Busara, our flagship event, takes place every year in Stone Town during February...Sauti za Busara is more than ‘just’ a music festival: it contributes to the growth and professionalization of the creative sector in the region; provides learning, exchange and employment opportunities, and promotes Zanzibar globally as a leading destination for cultural tourism."
--See also: Sauti za Busara--Kiswahili version
--Plus: Previous festival editions
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Harvard University: Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Lagos Studies Association: 2018 Conference -- "Futurity in Lagos Scholarship, the Arts, Advocacy, and Social Enterprise," University of Lagos, Nigeria, June 14-16, 2018 (Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina, USA; University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria)
--The deadline for abstracts is October 31, 2017.
- MANSA--Mande Studies Association: 10th International Conference on Mande Studies, August 2-6, 2017, Grand Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire -- "Call for Papers"
The proposal deadline is November 15, 2016!
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- News & Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SCOLMA--Standing Conference on Library Materials on Africa: Annual Conference 2017: "Document to Digital: How Does Digitisation Aid African Research," September 11, 2017, National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, UK
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- United Nations "International Decade for People of African Descent, 2015-2024" (UN Dept. of Public Information, New York)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and Its Diasporas (Toronto, Canada)