Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival, February 28-March 2, 2014, Columbia University Teachers College, New York (ADIFF, New York)
- International Conference on African Languages & Literatures in the 21st Century -- "From Asmara 2000 to Nairobi 2014: New Horizons and Trends in African Languages and Literatures," August 6-8, 2014, Kenyatta University, KenyaThe deadline for proposals is March 15, 2014.
- African Literature Association: 40th Annual Conference of the ALA-- "Texts, Modes and Repertoires of Living In and Beyond the Shadows of Apartheid," April 9-13, 2014, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa--See also: African Literature Association Home Page (via Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- 13th International African Studies Conference, "Society and Politics in Africa: Traditional, Transitional, and New," Moscow, Russia, May 27-29, 2014 -- Call for Papers
- African Studies Association of the United Kingdom: ASAUK Biennial Conference 2014, September 9-11, 2014, University of Sussex, UKThe deadline for panel proposals is September 20, 2013; a "call for papers" will follow soon thereafter.
- African Studies Association of the United States: 57th Annual Meeting of the ASA, "Rethinking Violence, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation," November 20-23, 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)"Call for Proposals": the deadline for submissions was March 15, 2014.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Canadian Association of African Studies: "The Social Sciences and African Studies: The Fluidity of Disciplinary Boundaries in the Postcolonial Age," May 28-30, 2014, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada Congress 2014 of the Humanities and Social Sciences (via Ottawa, Canada)
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Columbia University Institute of African Studies -- Events
- 11th Annual African Economic Forum 2014: A Continent Ascends, Emergent Perspectives from the Frontier, April 4-5, 2014, Columbia University School of Law, New York
- Columbia University Libraries, Center for Human Rights Documentation & Research:
"Defying Injustice: Lessons from Defeating Apartheid to the Arab Spring, An Interactive Dialogue Among Activists and Scholars, April 10, 2014, Jerome Greene Annex, Columbia University School of Law (New York)
- Dakar 2014--XVe Sommet de la Francophonie, du 29 au 30 novembre 2014, Dakar, Sénégal
- Harvard University, Committee on African Studies: Calendar of Events -and- Africa Workshop (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- International Society for the Oral Literatures of Africa: 10th Conference of the ISOLA, University of Cocody, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, June 12-15, 2014 (via Paris, France; Niamey, Niger)
--See also: French version
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal Africa Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Pennsylvania: African Studies Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 17th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "A Common Destiny" 14-22 June 2014 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."