Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Best of African Diaspora International Film Festival January 9-11, 2015, Columbia University Teachers' College, New York (ADIFF, New York)
- Selections from the ADIFF 2014 film titles.
- Fall/Winter ADIFF 2014 Highlights
- "African Heritage Challenges: Development and Sustainability," 15-16 May 2015, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, University of Cambridge, UK Call for Papers
- African Literature Association 41st Annual Conference--"African Futures and Beyond: Visions in Transition," June 3-6, 2015, University of Bayreuth, GermanyAbstracts and proposals due November 30, 2014.
- African Studies Association of the United States: Call for Papers: 58th Annual Meeting, "The State and the Study of Africa," November 19-22, 2015, San Diego, CaliforniaThe deadline for proposals is March 15, 2015.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Boston University, African Studies Center (Boston, Massachusetts): 23rd Annual Graduate Studies Conference in African Studies, March 27-28, 2015The deadline for paper proposals is February 1, 2015.
- CRASSH--Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, & Humanities: "Pursuing Justice in Africa," March 27-28, 2015, Cambridge, UK (University of Cambridge, UK)The deadline for abstracts is November 28, 2014.
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Institute of African Studies: "Infrastructural Life in Africa" Conference, March 6, 2015
- Institute of African Studies -- Events (All)
- The Dakar Institute of African Studies: Annual International Symposium -- "Valorizing African Cultural Heritage and Thought in the 21st Century, " July 3-4, 2015, Dakar, Senegal
Co-sponsored by the DIAS, Université Cheikh Anta Diop, and the West African Research Center.The deadline for abstracts is April 15, 2015.
- ECAS-6 : Sixth European Conference on African Studies--"Collective Mobilisations in Africa: Contestation, Resistance, Revolt," 8-10 July 2015, Université Paris-Sorbonne, France.
- Florida International University: "Roots/Heritage Tourism in Africa and the African Diaspora: Case Studies for a Comparative Approach," February 12-14, 2015, Miami, Florida (African & African Diaspora Studies Program, School of International & Public Affairs)
- Harvard University, Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Indian Ocean World Centre, McGill University: "Currencies of Commerce in Greater Indian Ocean World," 22-24 April 2015 (Montréal, Canada)
The deadline for proposals is October 31, 2014!
- 19th International Conference of Ethiopian Studies, August 24-26, 2015, Warsaw, Poland Co-sponsored with the University of Warsaw.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- 14th Nigeria International Book Fair, May 11-16, 2015, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos State, Nigeria
- Princeton University, McCarter Theatre: "Sizwe Banzi is Dead," January 16-February 15, 2015 (Princeton, New Jersey)The official "commercial" site for the performances of this now famous play set in "apartheid" era South Africa by Athol Fugard, John Kani, and Winston Ntshona. Directed by John Kani. Plus, there are special events at the theatre and in the Princeton area during the show's run.
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Cape Town, South Africa: "Southern African Pasts Before the Colonial Era, Their Archives, and Their Ongoing Present/Presence," July 16-18, 2015
***The extended deadline for proposals is February 12, 2015!
- University of Pennsylvania: Africa Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- The University of Texas at Austin: 2015 Annual Africa Conference -- "Development, Urban Space, and Human Rights in Africa," April 3-5, 2015 -- Call for Papers (Austin, Texas)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 18th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Waves & Visions of Hope" 18-26 July 2015 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2014 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."