Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival, Chicago, June 12-18, 2015 (ADIFF, New York)
- Selections from the ADIFF 2014-2015 film titles.
- Fall/Winter ADIFF 2014 Highlights
- African Studies Association of the United States: 58th Annual Meeting, "The State and the Study of Africa," November 19-22, 2015, San Diego, CaliforniaThe deadline for proposals was March 15, 2015.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Institute of African Studies, Institute for Religion, Culture, & Public Life, and Majalis: "Islam and Peace Conference: Perspectives from African Muslim Non-Violence Traditions, 11-13 September 2015, New YorkThe deadline for proposals is June 15, 2015!!
- Institute of African Studies -- Events (All)
- Institute of African Studies, Institute for Religion, Culture, & Public Life, and Majalis: "Islam and Peace Conference: Perspectives from African Muslim Non-Violence Traditions, 11-13 September 2015, New York
- The Dakar Institute of African Studies: Annual International Symposium -- "Valorizing African Cultural Heritage and Thought in the 21st Century, " July 3-4, 2015, Dakar, Senegal
Co-sponsored by the DIAS, Université Cheikh Anta Diop, and the West African Research Center.The deadline for abstracts is April 15, 2015.
- ECAS-6 : Sixth European Conference on African Studies--"Collective Mobilisations in Africa: Contestation, Resistance, Revolt," 8-10 July 2015, Université Paris-Sorbonne, France.
- Harvard University, Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- 19th International Conference of Ethiopian Studies, August 24-26, 2015, Warsaw, Poland Co-sponsored with the University of Warsaw.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Cambridge, UK: "Writing South Africa Now" 26-27 June 2015 -- Call for Papers
3rd annual colloquium on South African writingThe deadline for papers is April 15, 2015.
- University of Cape Town, South Africa: "Southern African Pasts Before the Colonial Era, Their Archives, and Their Ongoing Present/Presence," July 16-18, 2015
***The extended deadline for proposals is February 12, 2015!
- University of Pennsylvania: Africa Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- World Congress of African Linguistics: WOCAL 8--Kyoto, August 20-24, 2015 (Kyoto, Japan)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 18th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Waves & Visions of Hope" 18-26 July 2015 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2014 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."