Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- The African American Institute: "The State of Education in Africa" Inaugural Annual Conference, September 9, 2014, New York (Washington, DC; New York)
- African Diaspora Film Festival: "Back to the Roots" Film Series, August 1-3, 2014, Columbia University Teachers College, New York
- African Film Festival of New York, 2014 Summer Series, July 7--September 7 (New York)The New York African Film Festival (NYAFF) was launched in 1993. Film Society of Lincoln Center, Brooklyn Academy of Music, and Maysles Cinema Institute have become principal hosts of the festival.
--Cinema Under the Stars: In the summer months, the screenings and accompanying performances take place in the parks around New York City.
- International Conference on African Languages & Literatures in the 21st Century -- "From Asmara 2000 to Nairobi 2014: New Horizons and Trends in African Languages and Literatures," August 6-8, 2014, Kenyatta University, KenyaThe deadline for proposals is March 15, 2014.
- African Studies Association of the United Kingdom: ASAUK Biennial Conference 2014, September 9-11, 2014, University of Sussex, UKThe deadline for panel proposals is September 20, 2013; a "call for papers" will follow soon thereafter.
- African Studies Association of the United States: 57th Annual Meeting of the ASA, "Rethinking Violence, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation," November 20-23, 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)See especially: 2014 Preliminary program
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Columbia University Institute of African Studies -- Events
- "Politique de la rue : citoyenneté, engagement et prise de parole dans les espaces publics d'Afrique de l'Ouest," du 19 au 21 juin 2014, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, Ecole nationale de Statistique et d'Economie Appliquée, Campus de l'Université Félix Houphouët Boigny (via Agenda Art Ivoire, Abidjan)
Co-sponsored by Columbia University-Institute of African Studies, Université Paris I Sorbonne, Sciences-Po, et l'Institut Français de Côte d'Ivoire
- DAK'ART 2014: La Biennale de l'Art Africain Contemporain, du 9 mai au 8 juin 2014, Dakar, Sénégal11ème Biennale! L'exposition internationale d'Art Africain Contemporain de la Biennale de Dakar présentera le travaux de beaucoup d'artistes venus de plus que 20 pays d'Afrique et une Exposition Diaspora ...comprend un large éventail de stratégies d'expression allant de la peinture à l'installation, en passant par la performance, la sculpture, l'art vidéo et les média interactifs.
- Dakar 2014--XVe Sommet de la Francophonie, du 29 au 30 novembre 2014, Dakar, Sénégal
- 16th Annual Harlem Book Fair, July 10-13, 2014, New York: Columbia University, The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, and Outside Exhibits at West 135th Street/Malcolm X Blvd (via QBR.com, New York)
--See "HBF Program Guide"
- Harvard University, Committee on African Studies: Calendar of Events -and- Africa Workshop (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- International Society for the Oral Literatures of Africa: 10th Conference of the ISOLA, University of Cocody, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, June 12-15, 2014 (via Paris, France; Niamey, Niger)
--See also: French version
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal Africa Society: Events (London, UK)
- 14th Congress of the Pan African Archaeological Association of Prehistory and Related Studies, July 14-18, 2014, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Pennsylvania: African Studies Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- The University of Texas at Austin: 2015 Annual Africa Conference -- "Development, Urban Space, and Human Rights in Africa," April 3-5, 2015 -- Call for Papers (Austin, Texas)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 18th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Waves & Visions of Hope" 18-26 July 2015 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2014 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."