Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- ACASA--Arts Council of the African Studies Association of the United States -- 17th Triennial Symposium on African Art, August 8-13, 2017, University of Ghana, Legon--"Call for Papers"
***Final deadline for proposals is November 1, 2016.
- ADEA 2017 Triennale Conference, March 14-17, 2017, Dakar, Senegal: "Revitalizing Education Towards the 2030 Global Agenda and Africa’s Agenda 2063." (Association for the Development of Education in Africa, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)
--See also: ADEA Home Page
- The Africa Center: "Contemporary African Art in New York City, Fall 2016 Round-Up" (New York)
- The Africa Desk: a portal for Africanists in the UK and Africa (London, UK)
News about events, publications, and research associations on Africa in the UK. "...a collaboration between the British Academy and the African Studies Association of the UK, with support from The Association of Commonwealth Universities and SCOLMA, the UK Africanists librarians group."
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival (ADIFF, New York)
- Events held throughout the year in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. In New York, the screenings and other events are held in various venues, including Columbia University Teachers College & Symphony Space Theater (in Manhattan)
- ADIFF 2017--Black History Month, February 24-26, 2017
- African Literature Association: ALA 2017 Annual Conference -- "Africa and the World: Literature, Politics, and Global Geographies," June 14-17, 2017, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
--The deadline for proposals is November 15, 2016.
- African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific: 39th AFSAAP Annual Conference, 5-7 December 2016, Perth, Australia (via Adelaide, Australia)
--The deadline for proposals is June 30, 2016.
- African Studies Association of the United States (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- AEGIS--African Studies in Europe (Leiden, The Netherlands)
Africa-Europe Group for Interdisciplinary Studies
- 2nd International Conference on African Urban Planning, September 7-8, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal (African Urban Planning Research Network, University of Lisbon, Portugal)
--See also: Abstracts & programme from International Conference on Colonial and Postcolonial African Urban Planning, September 5-6, 2013, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- AfroEuropeans 2017: "Black Cultures and Identities in Europe," July 6-8, 2017, University of Tampere, Finland -- "Call for Sessions"
--The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2016.
- Canadian Association of African Studies--Annual Conference: "From Far and Wide: The Next 150," May 31-June 2, 2017, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The panel proposal deadline is October 31, 2016.
- Centre for the Study of African Economies: CSAE Conference 2017--"Economic Development in Africa," March 19-21, 2017, St. Catherine's College, Oxford University, UK
The deadline for proposals is October 28, 2016!
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- 25th Edition--FESPACO 2017: Pan African Film and Television Festival of Ouagadougou (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
The 25th edition of FESPACO will take place from February 25-March 4, 2017.
The official site in French: "Created in 1969 in Ouagadougou, on the initiative of a few film enthusiasts, it became an institution on January 7th 1972 by decree in Burkina Faso, because of the enthusiasm and the hope it created among the public and filmmakers in Africa. It is biennial; starting on the last Saturday in February every odd year." The site includes information about award-winning films from 2009 and previous festival years.
- The French Colonial Historical Society = Société d'histoire coloniale française (Ottawa, Canada)
Call for Papers -- 43e Congrès Annuel, du 15 au 17 juin 2017 à Aix-en-Provence, France
--Veuillez voir aussi: Programs: 2016 Annual Meeting of the French Colonial Historical Society, 18-21 May 2016, Ottawa, Canada
- Harvard University: Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
8th Annual African Development Conference -- "Africa: Imagining New Frontiers for Collaboration," March 31-April 1, 2017. Harvard Kennedy School of Governance and Harvard Law School
- MANSA--Mande Studies Association: 10th International Conference on Mande Studies, August 2-6, 2017, Grand Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire -- "Call for Papers"
The proposal deadline is November 15, 2016!
- "Mauritius after 50 years of independence: charting the way forward," 28-30 June 2017, University of Mauritius -- "Call for Papers". In collaboration with the Mauritius Research Council.
--The deadline for proposals is January 10, 2017.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- United Nations "International Decade for People of African Descent, 2015-2024" (UN Dept. of Public Information, New York)
- Tennessee State University: Annual African Conference -- "Transformations in Africana Studies: Epistemology, Theory Building, and Methodology," April 6-7, 2017, Nashville, Tennesee "Call for Papers"
(via H-Africa, H-Net Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
The deadline for proposals is December 31, 2016!
- University of Texas at Austin: 17th Annual Africa Conference -- "Rupturing Colonial Legacies: Colonialisms and Decolonizations in Africa and the African Diaspora," March 31--April 2, 2017
--See especially: Call for Papers
. The deadline for proposals is November 30, 2016!
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and Its Diasporas (Toronto, Canada)