Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- ACASA--Arts Council of the African Studies Association of the United States -- 17th Triennial Symposium on African Art, August 8-13, 2017, University of Ghana, Legon--"Call for Papers"
***Final deadline for proposals is November 1, 2016.
- The Africa Center--Blog (New York)
- The Africa Desk: a portal for Africanists in the UK and Africa (London, UK)
News about events, publications, and research associations on Africa in the UK. "...a collaboration between the British Academy and the African Studies Association of the UK, with support from The Association of Commonwealth Universities and SCOLMA, the UK Africanists librarians group."
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- African Diaspora International Film Festival (ADIFF, New York)
- Events held throughout the year in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. In New York, the screenings and other events are held in various venues, including Columbia University Teachers College & Symphony Space Theater (in Manhattan)
- ADIFF-Chicago, June 9-15, 2017
- ADIFF 2017--Music and Society Film Series, New York, April 28-30, 2017
- ADIFF 2017--Black History Month, February 24-26, 2017
- African Film Festival of New York, May 3-29, 2017 (New York)
The New York African Film Festival (NYAFF) was launched in 1993. Film Society of Lincoln Center, Brooklyn Academy of Music, and Maysles Cinema Institute have become principal hosts of the festival.
- African Literature Association: ALA 2017 Annual Conference -- "Africa and the World: Literature, Politics, and Global Geographies," June 14-17, 2017, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
--The deadline for proposals is November 15, 2016.
- African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific: 40th AFSAAP Annual Conference, 23-24 November 2017, Adelaide, Australia (via Adelaide, Australia)
--The deadline for proposals is June 1, 2017.
- African Studies Association of the United States (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- AEGIS--African Studies in Europe (Leiden, The Netherlands)
Africa-Europe Group for Interdisciplinary Studies
- 2nd International Conference on African Urban Planning, September 7-8, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal (African Urban Planning Research Network, University of Lisbon, Portugal)
--See also: Abstracts & programme from International Conference on Colonial and Postcolonial African Urban Planning, September 5-6, 2013, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- AfroEuropeans 2017: "Black Cultures and Identities in Europe," July 6-8, 2017, University of Tampere, Finland -- "Call for Sessions"
--The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2016.
- Canadian Association of African Studies--Annual Conference: "From Far and Wide: The Next 150," May 31-June 2, 2017, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The panel proposal deadline is October 31, 2016.
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- ECAS 2017: 7th European Conference on African Studies, 29 June - 1 July 2017, Basel, Switzerland -- "Urban Africa - Urban Africans: New Encounters of the Rural and the Urban." Co-sponsored by the Centre for African Studies, Basel, and the Swiss Society for African Studies.
--See especially: Panels
- The French Colonial Historical Society = Société d'histoire coloniale française (Ottawa, Canada)
Call for Papers -- 43e Congrès Annuel, du 15 au 17 juin 2017 à Aix-en-Provence, France
--Veuillez voir aussi: Programs: 2016 Annual Meeting of the French Colonial Historical Society, 18-21 May 2016, Ottawa, Canada
- Harvard University: Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- MANSA--Mande Studies Association: 10th International Conference on Mande Studies, August 2-6, 2017, Grand Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire -- "Call for Papers"
The proposal deadline is November 15, 2016!
- "Mauritius after 50 years of independence: charting the way forward," 28-30 June 2017, University of Mauritius -- "Call for Papers". In collaboration with the Mauritius Research Council.
--The deadline for proposals is January 10, 2017.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- News & Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- United Nations "International Decade for People of African Descent, 2015-2024" (UN Dept. of Public Information, New York)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and Its Diasporas (Toronto, Canada)
- 20th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Finding Joy = Kusikia Furaha" 8-16 July 2017 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)
General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2016 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."
- Zikr: Locating Sufi Performance, Critical Perspectives on Music, Ritual, and Remembrance = Situer la performance soufie, perspectives critiques sur la musique, les traditions, et la mémoire, du 5 au 7 juin 2017, Dakar, Senegal. Co-sponsored by Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA and the West African Research Center, Dakar, Senegal
--Program and abstracts