Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- "African Heritage Challenges: Development and Sustainability," 15-16 May 2015, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, University of Cambridge, UK Call for Papers
- African Literature Association 41st Annual Conference--"African Futures and Beyond: Visions in Transition," June 3-6, 2015, University of Bayreuth, GermanyAbstracts and proposals due November 30, 2014.
- African Studies Association of the United States: 57th Annual Meeting of the ASA, "Rethinking Violence, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation," November 20-23, 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana (via Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey)See especially: 2014 Preliminary program
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Dakar 2014--XVe Sommet de la Francophonie, du 29 au 30 novembre 2014, Dakar, Sénégal
- ECAS-6 : Sixth European Conference on African Studies--"Collective Mobilisations in Africa: Contestation, Resistance, Revolt," 8-10 July 2015, Université Paris-Sorbonne, France.
- Harvard University, Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Indian Ocean World Centre, McGill University: "Currencies of Commerce in Greater Indian Ocean World," 22-24 April 2015 (Montréal, Canada)
The deadline for proposals is October 31, 2014!
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal Africa Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- University of Pennsylvania: African Studies Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- The University of Texas at Austin: 2015 Annual Africa Conference -- "Development, Urban Space, and Human Rights in Africa," April 3-5, 2015 -- Call for Papers (Austin, Texas)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on the Global Migration of African Peoples: Upcoming Events (Toronto, Canada)
- 18th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Waves & Visions of Hope" 18-26 July 2015 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2014 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."