Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement, call for nominations, the final list of 100, and contact information. The 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
- See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- Africa Book Centre--Catalogue of 100 Best Book Award Winners (Brighton, UK)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- "Africa-Asia: A New Axis of Knowledge," September 24-26, 2015, University of Ghana, Legon, Accra, GhanaOrganized by the Association of Asian Studies in Africa (A-Asia) in cooperation with the International Convention of Asia Scholars (ICAS).
--See: Conference Program
- African Diaspora International Film Festival, New York, November 27-December 13, 2015 (ADIFF, New York)
- African History Graduate Student Collaborative, University of Minnesota: "Fault Lines: Rethinking Temporal and Disciplinary Traditions in African Studies,” April 21-23, 2016, Minneapolis, Minnesota
2016 Inaugural IASCUMN--University of Minnesota International African Studies Conference
***The deadline for proposals is October 15, 2015.
- "African Intellectual History Workshop"--Call for Papers, March 30-April 2, 2016, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (via H-Africa, H-Net, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
***The deadline for proposals is September 1, 2015.
- African Literature Association: 2016 Annual ALA Conference--"Justice and Human Dignity in Africa and the African Diaspora," April 6-9, 2016, Atlanta, Georgia. Co-sponsored by Kennesaw State University and Emory University.
The deadline for proposals is November 15, 2015.
--See also: ALA Home Page (via Hobart & William Smith Colleges, Geneva, New York)
- African Studies Association of Australasia and the Pacific:
"21st Century Tensions and Transformation in Africa." -- 38th Annual AFSAAP Conference, October 28-30, 2015, Melbourne, Australia
- African Studies Association of the United States: 58th Annual Meeting, "The State and the Study of Africa," November 19-22, 2015, San Diego, California--See especially: Preliminary program for 2015 Annual Meeting.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Barnard College, Departments of Africana Studies and History: "Lagos: From the Pepper Farm to the Mega City (and Beyond)." May 6-7, 2016: "Call For Papers" (New York; via H-Africa, H-Net, East Lansing, Michigan)The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2015.
- Institute of African Studies -- Events (All)
- Barnard College, Departments of Africana Studies and History: "Lagos: From the Pepper Farm to the Mega City (and Beyond)." May 6-7, 2016: "Call For Papers" (New York; via H-Africa, H-Net, East Lansing, Michigan)
- 7th Annual "Congo in Harlem" Series, October 18-25, 2015, Maysles Cinema, Harlem, New York"...an annual series of films, panel discussions, performances, and special events focused on the history, politics, and culture of the Democratic Republic of the Congo."
- 4e Rencontres des Études africaines en France --"Afriques Cosmopolitiques" -- du 5 au 7 juillet 2016, Paris, France (Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales, Paris)Veuillez voir surtout: Appel à contributions
"...la liste des ateliers retenus sera accessible du 22 octobre au 18 décembre 2015 pour permettre aux chercheurs de proposer leurs contributions individuelles."
- The French Colonial Historical Society = Société d'histoire coloniale française (Ottawa, Canada)
"Call for Papers" for 2016 Annual Meeting of the French Colonial Historical Society, 18-21 May 2016, Ottawa, Canada: The deadline for proposals is November 1, 2015.
- Harvard University, Afro-Latin American Research Institute at the Hutchins Research Center:
"New Research on the Atlantic Slave Trade," October 2-3, 2015 (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Harvard University, Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Igbo Studies Association: 14th Annual International Conference, May 12-14, 2016, Chicago, Illinois -- "Call for Papers"
The deadline for proposals is October 31, 2015.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
-- "Baraza" Swahili Conference @ SOAS, October 31, 2015
- 2015 Storymoja Festival, September 16-20, 2015, Nairobi, Kenya"The Storymoja Festival started out as a small gathering of 300 people in 2007, and has grown to a vibrant gathering of the greatest minds in Kenya and beyond, celebrating ideas and culture...Books are brought to life through poetry, storytelling, lively discussions with local and international artists, music, workshops, film and much more."
- United Nations "International Decade for People of African Descent, 2015-2024" (UN Dept. of Public Information, New York)
- University of Pennsylvania: Africa Center -- Events (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- University of Wisconsin, Madison: "Early Maritime Cultures on the East African Coast," October 23-24, 2015 African Studies ProgramCall for Papers--The deadline for proposals is August 15, 2015.
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and Its Diasporas (Toronto, Canada)