Conferences & Other Events on Africa
Anticipated & Online Events
- The Africa Center--Blog (New York)
- "Africa in the World: Shifting Boundaries and Knowledge Production," May 25-28, 2018, Johannesburg, South Africa Co-sponsored by the American Anthropological Association and the African Studies Association of the United States.
--The deadline for proposals is January 31, 2018.
- Africa's 100 Best Books (Zimbabwe International Book Fair, Harare; via Columbia University)
- General announcement and contact information. All nominations have been received, a short list drawn up by a jury, and the 100 titles were announced on February 18, 2002.
See a copy of the list of 100.
- H-Africa Discussion Forum, March 2002 (H-Net, Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University: Web Dossier on "Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century" (2002) (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- ADIFF 2018: African Diaspora International Film Festival, --Best of ADIFF Screenings, January 2018 (ADIFF, November 24--December 10, 2017), Los Angeles and New York
- Events held throughout the year in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. In New York, the screenings and other events are held in various venues, including Columbia University Teachers College & Symphony Space Theater (in Manhattan)
- "African Knowledges, Alternative Futures" -- Toyin Falola @65 Conference, January 29-31, 2018, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
The full papers are now due by January 15, 2018.
- African Studies Association of the United Kingdom: Annual Conference of ASAUK, September 11-13, 2018, University of Birmingham, UK -- "Call for Papers"
--The deadline for papers is February 16, 2018.
- African Studies Centre, Leiden University -- Events, Seminars, and Conferences
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Afrotopia: 11e édition des Rencontres de Bamako, Mali, du 2 décembre 2017 au 31 janvier 2018
Biennale Africaine de la Photographie, co-organisée par le Ministère de la Culture du Mali et l’Institut français.
- Association of African Studies in Germany=Die Vereinigung für Afrikawissenschaften in Deutschland (Hamburg, Germany)
Biennial Conference "African Connections." 27-30 June 2018, Universität Leipzig Call for Papers
The deadline for proposals is November 30, 2017!
- Associazione Per Gli Studi Africani in Italia: ASAI V--"Plural Africa. Politics, Knowledge and Social Dynamics in Time and Space," 5-7 September 2018, University of Bologna, Italy
--Call for Papers: The deadline for proposals is February 28, 2018.
--See also: ASAI Home Page
- "Black Portraiture[s] IV: The Color of Silence," March 15-17, 2018, Havana, Cuba---"Call for Papers" (via New York University, New York)
"...the eighth conference in a series of conversations about imaging the black body. We invite artists, activists, and scholars to reflect on the visual expressions of national imaginaries and political ideologies that negate racial differences and render black subjects invisible." This site also includes highlights from "Black Portraiture[s] III" held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
--The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2017!
- 15th edition "Sauti za Busara" Music Festival, Zanzibar, Tanzania, 8-11 February 2018 (Busara Promotions, Tanzania)
"...since 2003. Sauti za Busara, our flagship event, takes place every year in Stone Town during February...Sauti za Busara is more than ‘just’ a music festival: it contributes to the growth and professionalization of the creative sector in the region; provides learning, exchange and employment opportunities, and promotes Zanzibar globally as a leading destination for cultural tourism."
--See also: Sauti za Busara--Kiswahili version
--Plus: Previous festival editions
- Columbia University -- African Studies Events (New York)
- Dakar Institute of African Studies: 4th International Symposium on Black Studies -- "Bridging the Gap: Black Studies Across Social, Geographical, Epistemic and Linguistic Lines, July 6-7, 2018, Dakar, Senegal (via H-Africa, H-Net Humanities and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
Co-sponsored by Université Cheikh Anta Diop, West African Research Center, and the University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica.
--The deadline for proposals is March 1, 2018.
- 5e Rencontres des Études Africaines en France--"Afriques enchantées, Afriques en chantiers", du 9 au 12 juillet 2018, Marseilles, France (GIS Afrique, Ivry-sur-Seine, France)
--La date limite de soumission des propositions est le 8 janvier 2018.
- Harvard University: Center for African Studies--Events & News (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- International Congress of Linguists 20th Conference, July 2-6, 2018, Cape Town, South Africa
"The Dynamics of Language"
--See also: WOCAL 9 below
- Lagos Studies Association: 2018 Conference -- "Futurity in Lagos Scholarship, the Arts, Advocacy, and Social Enterprise," University of Lagos, Nigeria, June 14-16, 2018 (Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina, USA; University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria)
--The deadline for abstracts is December 15, 2017.
- New York University, Africa House: Events (New York)
- Royal African Society: Events (London, UK)
- Rutgers University: Center for African Studies -- News & Events (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- SOAS--School of Oriental and African Studies: Centre of African Studies -- Events (University of London, London, UK)
- Sports Africa 2018: 12th Sports Africa Conference--"Pan-African Sports: Beyond Physical Education," March 26-28, 2018, University of Zambia, Lusaka
--The deadline for proposals is December 20, 2017.
- United Nations "International Decade for People of African Descent, 2015-2024" (UN Dept. of Public Information, New York)
- West African Research Association & WARC Conferences: Summer Institutes & International Symposia (via African Studies Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts)
- WOCAL 9: World Congress of African Linguistics: "African Languages in a Global World"--Rabat, Morocco, August 22-26, 2018 (viaThe Netherlands Institute in Morocco)
- Yale University: Council on African Studies -- Events (New Haven, Connecticut)
- York University, Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and Its Diasporas (Toronto, Canada)