- The Africa Platform for Social Protection (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...a Pan African non-governmental organisation working in the five regions of the African Union...to create partnerships with Civil Society and other organizations to engage with the Governments and International Development Agencies (IDAs) to develop and implement innovative Social Protection strategies and programmes."
--See also: African Studies Centre, Leiden: "Social Protection in Africa" (June 2012) Web Dossier
(Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Africa Research Institute on Kenya (London UK)
- African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) is an international inter-governmental policy research and training organization... The Centre's activities focus on the implementation of Agenda 21 and related conventions on biological diversity, climate change and desertification."
- ACTS Publications
- African Conservation Centre (Nairobi, Kenya)
A clearinghouse website on news about conservation and the African NGO sector. The site includes a searchable archive -- "CBO Database" -- with contact information and reports for community-based conservation activities in East Africa.
- African Development Bank Group on Kenya (Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)
Basic economic indicators and links to other "country operations" reports.
- African Economic Research Consortium (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), established in July 1988, is a public not-for-profit organization devoted to advanced policy research and training."
- AERC Publications -- Abstracts and Full Text in PDF format (Policypapers, working papers, executive summaries, research newsletters, etc.)
- African executive, The. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: African Executive, 2005-
An online weekly magazine which offers selected current and recent "news analysis" and opinion on finance, banking, and investment in Africa. A Google search of the site yields articles from the archive, 2005 to the present.
- AFIDEP--African Institute for Development Policy (Nairobi, Kenya; Lilongwe, Malawi)
"...an international non-profit policy think tank whose mission is to translate and enable utilisation of research evidence in policy-making in the fields of Population Change and Sustainable Development, Health Systems Strengthening, Education and Skills Development (Transformative Education) and Strengthening Capacity for demand and use of research evidence in policy-making spaces in Africa."
--See especially: AFIDEP Research Reports
--and-- annual reports, news, policy briefs, and other publications
- African Medical Research Foundation (Nairobi, Kenya)
This site offers news and other information about AMREF programmes (including "Flying Doctor Service") -- with offices in 4 countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and South Africa. "AMREF is Africa's largest indigenous health charity, and for 44 years in partnership with local communities, governments and donors, has worked to research and alleviate Africa's health problems."
- African Network of Scientific and Technological Institutions (via UNESCO, Nairobi, Kenya)
- African Population & Health Research Center, Inc. (Nairobi, Kenya)
This website includes downloadable publications--newsletter, research reports, working papers, etc. "The Center was established in 1995 as a Population Policy Research Fellowship program of the Population Council, with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation. In 2001, it became an autonomous institution with headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya."
-- APHRC newsletter
-- APHRC policy briefs
-- APHRC working papers
- African successes: four public managers of Kenyan rural development. By David K. Leonard. -- Berkeley and Los Angeles, California: University of California Press ; California Digital Library eScholarship program, 2003 (1991).
- 3rd Annual Aid & Development in Africa Summit, 27-28 February 2018, Nairobi, Kenya
--See also: Aid & International Development Forum News
- Architecture Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya)
"Architecture Kenya was founded in May 2010 with a mission to deliver the most comprehensive information related to architecture, urban design, research and sustainable design in Kenya to people around the world on a daily basis. It is an online source of information for a growing number of people interested in Kenyan architectural news, projects, products, events, jobs, interviews and competitions among others."
- ALIN: Arid Lands Information Network -- Eastern Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "ALIN--Eastern Africa is a network of Community Development Workers who are involved in drylands development...ALIN members are drawn from government departments, non-governmental organisations and community-based organisations."
The site includes a few newsletters and information about community center programs.
- An Atlas of Ecosystems and Human Well-Being...in Kenya (2007) (See World Resources Institute below)
- Bioline Publications Abstracts and Document Service (Electronic Publishing Trust for Development, UK)
- Business Daily Africa. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya : The Nation Media Group, Ltd., 2007-
The electronic version of the current daily issue with business and economic news for Kenya and East Africa.
- Kenya Business Directories Online
- Central Bank of Kenya (Nairobi)
--See especially: CBK Publications & Statistics
- Centre for Economic Governance--Resources (2013-2015) (Nairobi, Kenya)
This site includes open access publications on the Kenyan economy and government. "...a civil society organization whose vision is a society where there is economic justice and equity for all...CEG priority program are public finance management, governance and devolution and social accountability."
- Centre for the Study of African Economies (Oxford, UK)
- Columbia University--The Earth Institute in Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya and New York, USA)
- Center for Sustainable Urban Development: Nairobi Regional Project
- The MDG Centre--East and Southern Africa (2014)
As of 2014, the Centre conducts research in Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. "...In 2006, the Centre initially focused on policy support at the national level to selected pilot countries of the UN Millennium Project (Kenya, Ethiopia, Senegal and Ghana). With the successful completion of the UNMP in late 2006, the Centre broadened its scope of work to include advisory services and support to the Millennium Villages Project (MVP) and to scale up MDG-related interventions to district and national levels in East and Southern Africa."
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) on Kenya (Lusaka, Zambia)
- CORDIO--Coastal Oceans Research and Development – Indian Ocean (Mombasa, Kenya)
"...initiated in 1999 as a response to the El-Niño related mass bleaching and mortality of corals in the Indian Ocean in 1998. It is a non-profit research organization."
--See especially: Outputs and Results (Publications)
- Danish Institute for International Studies, Department for Development Research. Formerly Centre for Development Studies. (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Demographic and Health Surveys: Kenya Indicators, Datasets, and Reports (2015 and earlier) (Calverton, Maryland)
--See also: National Coordinating Agency for Population & Development
- Drylands Research on Kenya (2008) (Somerset, UK)
- The website provides summary information and abstracts of on-going research; order information only for full texts. "[For more than ten years] Drylands Research writes and co-ordinates policy-related research on rural livelihoods and environmental management in semi-arid tropical countries."
- See also: Drylands Research Home Page
- East African, The. (Online): Business -- Nairobi, Kenya: Nation Media Group, Ltd., 2005-
The "business section" of the current electronic version of a weekly newspaper covering news mostly for Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, sometimes for neighboring countries. Several weeks of reports are available on the web site.
- East African Community = Jumuiya ya Afrika Mashariki (Arusha, Tanzania)
- This is the official website of the regional intergovernmental organization (encompassing Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda) which was (re)established in 1999 by treaty (see "Documents & Publications"). The site includes information about the EAC, current news, and related links.
- EAC Statistics Portal
- Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank -- Trade and Development Bank (Nairobi, Kenya)
Established in 1985, TDB since 2017
- EBAFOSA--Ecosystem Based Adaptation for Food Security Assembly (Nairobi, Kenya)
"EBAFOSA is the first inclusive pan-African policy framework and implementation platform, a solutions space that brings together key stakeholders and actors along the entire EBA driven agriculture value chain."
--See especially: EBAFOSA Publications
-and- Nairobi Action Agenda (2011)
- ELDIS Country Profiles (Electronic Development and Environment Information System, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK)
Search for Kenya: This service compiles and indexes links to online full texts (requiring Adobe Acrobat PDF), related web sites, and print publications in the IDS library on a variety of subjects pertaining to Kenya, especially in the fields of agricultural economics, trade, health, governance, and education.
- FEWSNET--Famine Early Warning System Network -- Kenya Center See USAID below
- Financial Sector Deepening Kenya (Financial Sector Deepening Trust, Nairobi, Kenya)
The site includes project reports, newsletters, financial access survey report, annual reports, etc."[FSD Kenya]...established in early 2005 to support the development of financial markets in Kenya as a means to stimulate wealth creation and reduce poverty."
--See especially: FSD Kenya Publications
- Financial Standard, The. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: The East African Standard Ltd., 2003--
The website offers only the current weekly issue; no archives.
- Food and Agriculture Organization on Kenya (Rome, Italy)
- FAO Document Repository: Kenya
- FAO Aquastat Programme -- Kenya, 2015
A brief profile on Kenyan water resources. "The 'thirst' for water data is ever increasing and there is indeed considerable demand for data on rural water use from national governments and development agencies. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations initiated an activity in 1993 to meet this demand with particular focus on irrigation. This resulted in the AQUASTAT Programme, the objective of which is to generate rural water use data at country level in a systematic manner."
- France. Ministère de l'Economie, des Finances et de l'Industrie -- Marchés extérieurs: Kenya (Ambassade de France, Mission économique; Paris)
De plus, il y a des informations sur les marchés du Burundi, du Rwanda, de la Somalie, et de la Tanzanie.
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung in Kenya--Publications, 2010-2013 (Nairobi)
--See especially: Taking stock of socio-economic challenges in Nairobi slums: an inventory of the pertinent issues between January 2008 and November 2012. 78 pages in PDF format
- Futures Group on Kenya (Washington, DC)
Formerly managed under "Policy Project": a summary of assistance activities in HIV/AIDS policies and other reproductive health policies in Kenya, with downloadable reports in PDF format.
- Government of Kenya: Official Website of State House, Kenya (See below)
- Government of Kenya: The Ministries...and the Economy
- Government of Kenya--Home Page Ministry of Information, Communications, & Technology
- Kenya Open Data
The Kenya Open Government Data Portal: the Kenya ICT Board in collaboration with other government agencies provides free and open access to public information about government expenditures and other data.
--- See also: Virtual Kenya
- Agriculture, Livestock, and Fisheries
- Devolution and Planning
--See especially: Publications and 2015 newsletters | 2016 newsletters
- East African Affairs, Commerce, and Tourism
- Energy and Petroleum
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Environment, Water and Natural Resources
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade
- Industrialization and Entreprise Development
- Investment Authority
- Labour, Social Security, and Services
- Land, Housing, and Urban Development
- National Bureau of Statistics
- National Council for Population & Development
- National Treasury
- Transport and Infrastructure
- The Green Belt Movement (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Human Rights Watch: A Question of Life or Death: Treatment Access for Children Living with HIV in Kenya (December 2008) (New York) 100 pages in PDF format
- Institute of Policy Analysis and Research (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "The Institute of Policy Analysis and Research (IPAR) was established in 1994 as an independent, indigenous and non-partisan private organisation. It is a non-profit body whose primary goal is to pursue quality research-based public policy analysis and to generate non-partisan discussion focused on Kenya and the region."
- International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (Nairobi, Kenya)
The site offers information about on-going research by this international organization in human, animal, plant, and environmental health; plus a list of publications. "[Founded in 1970]...ICIPE is a tropical organisation: tropical insect science for development."
- The International Monetary Fund: Kenya Country Info (Washington, DC)
Summaries, full length reports, and recent news. Note:
Some documents are in PDF format, requiring Adobe Acrobat
- International Planned Parenthood Federation on Africa (Nairobi, Kenya ; London, UK)
- Japan. Ministry of Foreign Affairs: TICAD VI--Sixth Tokyo International Conference on African Development, Nairobi, Kenya, August 27-28, 2016
"TICAD was launched in 1993 to promote high-level policy dialogue between African leaders and development partners. Meetings are led by Japan and co-organized by the United Nations, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the World Bank and the African Union Commission (AUC)...The last five TICADs were held every five years in Japan. From 2016 onwards, TICAD will be held every three years, hosted alternately in Africa and Japan."
--See also: TICAD VI (via Kenya Government, Nairobi)
-and- TICAD Home Page
- KARI--Kenya Agricultural Institute (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...a premier national institution bringing together research programmes in food crops, horticultural and industrial crops, livestock and range management, land and water management, and socio-economics."
See especially: KARI Publications
- Kenya Government Statement on Population, 1994 (International Conference on Population & Development, Cairo 1994)
- Kenya Wetlands Atlas (2012) (See UNEP below)
- Voice of Kibera (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...a citizen reporting project based in Kibera (one of the largest slums in Africa). The project is an initiative of Map Kibera and uses the Ushahidi platform to aggregate and map reports...The Voice of Kibera Editorial Board was formed in May 2010. The Editorial Board is responsible for the site administration, including verifying incoming messages. The Board members also act as SMS reporters within their community, sending in messages to let Kibera and the world know what's happening around them."
- KIPPRA: Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "KIPPRA's primary mission is to provide quality public policy advice to the government of Kenya and to the private sector by conducting objective research and analysis and through capacity building in order to contribute to the achievement of national development goals."
- KIPPRA Publications
Access --requiring free registration-- to an extensive archive of annual reports, conference proceedings, discussion papers, occasional papers, policy briefs, and working papers, etc.
- Kenya Investment Authority (Nairobi, Kenya)
A website with general information for the investor and economist.
- Kenya National Human Rights Commission: The Right to Health: A Case Study of Kisumu County (Nairobi, Kenya)
82 pages in PDF format
- 5th Multilateral Initiative on Malaria Pan-African Conference -- November 2-6, 2009, Nairobi, Kenya (AMANET, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; MIM, Stockholm, Sweden)
- Nairobi Convention (UNEP Regional Seas Programme, Nairobi, Kenya)
"[First signed in 1985, entered into force in 1996]...a partnership between governments, civil society and the private sector, working towards a prosperous Western Indian Ocean Region with healthy rivers, coasts and oceans."
--See especially: Publications
- Nairobi Planning Innovations: Innovations in Urban Planning for the Nairobi Metropolitan Area (Nairobi, Kenya; New York, USA)
A blog sponsored by Columbia University's Earth Institute--Center for Sustainable Urban Development.
"...Our hope is that residents, students, policy makers, and planners from Nairobi and abroad will contribute ideas on how to plan for a city that takes into account the economic, social, and political interests of all residents."
- Nairobi Stock Exchange
- Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (Nairobi)
This official site features general information about government policies, some data summaries, information about publications, and some downloadable documents.
- National Council for Population & Development (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Network of African Science Academies (Nairobi, Kenya)
- PACJA--Pan African Climate Justice Alliance (Nairobi, Kenya)
"Founded in 2008...a continental coalition of Civil Society Organizations from diverse backgrounds in Africa...seeking to conduct interventions across the environment sector to promote stronger people-centered, pro-poor perspectives on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement."
- Project Elgon (Mount Elgon, Uganda-Kenya Border) (University of Leeds, UK)
Students and faculty from the U.K. and Uganda, assisted by staff from Makerere University, Mount Elgon National Park, and local people, carried out studies in 1996 in and around Mt. Elgon. This website is a compilation of basic information on the people, the wildlife, and the environment of the region, online papers from the project team, images, and useful links.
- State House, Kenya -- Official Website (ikenya.ws, Science and Engineering Resource Center, Nairobi, Kenya)
This is one of the main sources for official news and information from the Government of Mwai Kibaki; includes Budget speech and links to ministries and an extensive archive of news summaries.
- Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development Egerton University (Nairobi, Kenya)
Founded in 1995
- Transparency International -- Kenya (Nairobi)
- United Nations Agencies on Kenya -- Economy & Health
- UNAIDS--UN Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS: Kenya (Geneva, Switzerland)
- United Nations Development Programme--Human Development Reports on Kenya (New York)
- UNDP Human Development Report 2011, Data Sheet for Kenya
- UN Economic Commission for Africa: "Kenya: weak governance hobbles economy." (2002) Chapter 4 in Economic report on Africa 2002: tracking performance and progress. (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) PDF format.
- UNEP--United Nations Environment Programme (Nairobi, Kenya) --via Columbia University Libraries.
- Kenya wetlands atlas. -- Nairobi, Kenya: Ministry of Environment and Mineral Resources and the United Nations Environment Programme, 2012. 150 pages in PDF format
- UN-Habitat: United Nations Human Settlements Programme (Nairobi, Kenya)
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees: Kenya Profile and Reports, 2002- (Geneva, Switzerland)
- UNFPA: United Nations Population Fund in Kenya (Nairobi)
- United States Agencies on Kenya -- Economy (Washington, DC)
- University of Nairobi: Wangari Maathai Institute for Peace and Environmental Studies (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...part of the college of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences (CAVS) at the University of Nairobi, Kenya. WMI has been established to honor, recognize, celebrate, advance, and immortalize the ideals and works of one of its alumni, the 2004 Peace Nobel Laureate Prof. Wangari Muta Maathai."
--See especially: E-Resources
- Virtual Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya)
"...an online interactive platform designed to provide improved access to high quality spatial data and cutting-edge mapping technology to allow more Kenyans to use and interact with spatial data in their educational and professional pursuits."
--See especially: Maps
- World Agroforestry Centre: Eastern and Southern Africa -and- West and Central Africa (Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroun)
Research and project news, with links to open access journal articles and reports. "...to generate science-based knowledge about the diverse roles that trees play in agricultural landscapes, and to use its research to advance policies and practices, and their implementation, that benefit the poor and the environment."
- The World Bank on Kenya (Washington, DC)
- Country brief and data on Kenya, 1999- (includes projects document search)
- Kenya Economic Update, 2013-
- World Development Indicators for Kenya (2014); and other data
- Agricultural extension: the Kenya experience. OED Précis ; no. 198. -- Washington, DC: Operations Evaluations Department, The World Bank, 2000. 94 pages in PDF format
- World Bank Agricultural Extension Projects in Kenya (June 1999) OED Impact Evaluation Report ; no. 19523. -- Washington, DC: Operations Evaluations Department, The World Bank, 1999. 65 pages in PDF format
- Kenya's geothermal development program (July 1998) OED Précis ; no. 162. -- Washington, DC : Operations Evaluations Department, The World Bank, 1998. (PDF File)
- The World Bank & the agricultural sector in Kenya: an OED review (June 1998) OED Country Specific Sector Review ; no. 18088. -- Washington, DC : Operations Evaluations Department, The World Bank, 1998. 38 pages in PDF format
- Kenya--Development of housing, water supply and sanitation in Nairobi (April 1996) OED Impact Evaluation Report ; no. 15586. -- Washington, DC : Operations Evaluations Department, The World Bank, 1996. 162 pages in PDF format
- World Resources Institute: Nature's Benefits in Kenya: An Atlas of Ecosystems and Human Well-Being (2007). -- Washington, DC: WRI, 2007. 164 pages in PDF format
See also: Maps and Presentation Slides -and- GIS Data