Kenya: Online News & the Internet
- Africa ICT Policy Monitor -- Kenya (APC--Association for Progressive Communications, Melville,
South Africa ; Nairobi, Kenya)This site offers extensive information on all ICT and development policy-related issues for Africa; plus news and some country-level statistics.
- Africa review (The Nation Media Group, Ltd., Nairobi, Kenya)"The aim of Africa Review is to provide smart insights on African news and to examine important social and political trends in the continent...The site carries a large resource of material, with a vast range of topics, from breaking news to special reports, in depth country profiles and blogs."
- African Media Initiative (Nairobi, Kenya)
- "AMI is a pan-African programme that seeks to strengthen the continent’s private and independent media sector from an owner and operator perspective in order to promote democratic governance, social development and economic growth."
- African Media Development Initiative -- overview and country reports (PDF format) Published by BBC World Service Trust.
- BBC News on Kenya (British Broadcasting Corporation, London, UK)
- "Kenya Attack" (September 21-24, 2013)
- "Uhuru Kenyatta challenges ICC case" (March 18, 2013) ; "Multiple challenges for
Kenya's new leader" (March 10, 2013) ; "Uhuru Kenyatta: Indicted President" (March 9, 2013)
- Kenya Direct: Going Beyond the Headlines (2012-2013)
- Country profile: Kenya (2013)
- "Viewpoint: Can Kenya avoid election bloodshed?" (October 16, 2012) and related stories
- "Are Kenyans seeking a buffer zone in Somalia?" (October 28, 2011) ; "Kenya's new constitution sparks hopes of rebirth" (August 27, 2010)
- "Kenya set to get truth commission" (October 24, 2008) ; "Kenya ex-graft czar urges amnesty" (August 20, 2008) -and-"Kenya: struggling for peace" (August 19, 2008)
- "Kenya in Crisis" and latest news (January--May 2008) -- "Kenya opposition cancels protests" -- "Kenya official [Attorney-General] calls for vote inquiry" -- "Kibaki named victor in Kenya vote" -- "Odinga rejects Kenya poll result" (December 31, 2007) and other 2007 Kenya Election-related stories
- John Githongo Report on Graft in Kenya (Submitted November 22, 2005) Copy of report, with cover letter, in PDF formatSee also, Related news stories and short video (February 2006) ;
Interview with Githongo (January 2008) ;
"Kenya sleaze book sparks shop ban" (February 2009) --Michaela Wrong's book about Githongo
- Business Daily Africa. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya : The Nation Media Group, Ltd., 2007-The electronic version of the current daily issue with business and economic news for Kenya and East Africa.
- Capital FM Radio -- News (Nairobi, Kenya)The web site for Capital RM radio--music and news, with live listening! (Windows Media Player format)
- Coastweek. (Online). -- Mombasa, Kenya: Coastweek, Ltd., 2002--The most recent electronic issue of the tourist- and business-related, weekly newspaper is available; current issue only.
- Daily Nation (Online). -- Nairobi: The Nation Newspapers, Ltd., 1996-
- Excerpts from the current daily issue and a searchable archive of selected back issues.
- East African, The. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: The Nation Newspapers Ltd., 2001-The current weekly electronic issue, plus the issue of the previous week only.
- Elections in Kenya, 2007 to present (via Columbia University Libraries)
- Indexkenya.org: Kenya Indexing Project (Nairobi, Kenya)This free database provides only an index to topics covered in newspapers published in the period 1993 to 2001. There are no links to online archives, but there is a document delivery option. "Indexkenya.org is an online index of articles published in Nairobi newspapers. The focus of the articles indexed includes culture, law/governance, reproductive health, and other topics about which information is difficult to obtain."
- International Press Institute: IPI World Congress and 54th General Assembly, May 21-24, 2005, Nairobi, Kenya -- Congress Report 52 pages in PDF format (Vienna, Austria)
- IRIN on Kenya (See UNOCHA below)
- Internet Service Providers in Kenya (via Rich C. Bowen, Lexington, Kentucky)
- KTN Television (The Standard Group, Nairobi, Kenya)This website offers information on TV programs and top news stories.
- Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (Nairobi)KBC is "a state corporation": Current news, links to reports related to the press or Kenyan political issues, information about broadcasts, and music videos from KBC Channel 1--via JumpTV.
- Kenya Meteorological Department: Weather Forecasts and Other Services (Nairobi)
- Kenyaweb (Weblink Services, Ltd., Nairobi)A commercial site with information about the Internet service provider.
- Monde diplomatique, Le. Archives, 2006--: Rechercher << Kénya >>
- Mwakilishi.Com (Baltimore, Maryland, USA)
Kenya diaspora news and opinion site.
- National Information and Communications Infrastructure for Sustainable Development in Africa: Kenya, 1999 (United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)General background, Internet connectivity data, and project information.
- The Project for Information Access and Connectivity (PIAC)--Archive 2002 (Nairobi, Kenya)'The PIAC, which is sponsored by the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation, was established in 1997. Its goals are to work with African grantees and program officers of both foundations on using technology to enhance communications, to improve access to information, and to improve the dissemination of African information.'
- Radio Citizen (Royal Media Services, Nairobi, Kenya)
Music and news in Kiswahili!
- Standard, The. (Online) Standard Digital -- Nairobi, Kenya: The Standard Group, Ltd., 2001-Formerly The East African Standard: the current daily electronic issue and the previous week of back issues are available.
- Star, The. (Online) -- Nairobi, Kenya: Radio Africa Group, 2009--Current and recent news, with a searchable archive containing selected articles since September 2012 only. "It was launched in July 2007 as the Nairobi Star, a 32 page tabloid style newspaper concentrating on human interest stories in Nairobi and Kenya...In 2008 the paper switched to a more political general news format while retaining its original strong focus on society stories...In 2009 it was rebranded as the Star..."
- State House, Kenya -- Official Website (ikenya.ws, Science and Engineering Resource Center, Nairobi, Kenya)This is one of the main sources for official news and information from the Government of Mwai Kibaki; with an extensive archive of news summaries.
- Swahili Hub: Kitovu Cha Kiswahili (The Nation Media Group, Ltd., Nairobi, Kenya; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)Habari za Kenya na Tanzania kwa gazeti na video. Pana sehemu "Maktabani jisomee", video muhimu, na tena picha muhimu.
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs: Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN) on Kenya (Nairobi, Kenya; Geneva, Switzerland)Current humanitarian news and analysis.