- Abahali baseMjondolo: South African Shackdwellers' Movement, 2005-- (Durban, South Africa)
An NGO in the South African "Poor People's Alliance." The site --in English and IsiZulu-- includes an archive of news reports, photos, videos, press releases, and organizational documents. "[Begun in Durban in early 2005] in terms of the numbers of people mobilised, [it claims to be] the largest organisation of the militant poor in post-apartheid South Africa."
- "Africa Region Workshop on Vulnerable Groups and HIV/AIDS": Cape Town, South Africa, March 11-13, 2009 PowerPoint presentations (via The World Bank, Washington, DC)
- African Centre for Biodiversity (Emmarentia, South Africa)
- African Centre for Migration & Society (University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa)
- African Development Bank Group on South Africa (Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)
Basic economic indicators and links to other "country operations" reports.
- African Plant Database (Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland; South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, South Africa)
A searchable database of statistics, standards of names, distribution maps of plants on the African continent, bibliographic references, and information about publications and links to organizational websites.
- South Africa. National Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (Pretoria)
- 2nd International "African Urban Infrastructure Investment Forum," November 30-December 3, 2015, Sandton, South Africa (Co-sponsored by IC Publications, London, UK)
- AGIS-Agricultural Geo-Referenced Information System (Pretoria, South Africa)
This site offers free data and maps of South African agriculture, natural resources, climate, and land use--from the National Dept. of Agriculture
(see above), Provincial Depts. of Agriculture, and the Agricultural Research Council; information about various projects; and contact information for experts.
- AGOA.info (Tralac--Trade Law Centre for Southern Africa, Stellenbosch, South Africa)
A commercial and investment news portal for information relating to US--Africa trade and the "African Growth and Opportunity Act". The site includes statistical summaries in the country "trade profiles".
- Agricultural Research Council (Pretoria, South Africa)
"...a premier science institution that conducts fundamental and applied research."
--See especially: ARC Publications
- AIDS Information for South Africa
- Alexandra Renewal Project, Johannesburg, South Africa
A website on community projects in the township, with news, proposals, and reports.
- Alternative Information & Development Centre, South Africa (Mowbray, South Africa)
"The AIDC is an alternative information centre doing research, education and training, as well as campaigning and lobbying on the macro issues affecting the development process in South Africa."
- ANSA-Africa: Affiliated Network for Social Accountability (via Human Sciences Research Council, Pretoria, South Africa)
"ANSA-Africa is a new network, jointly created by the World Bank and the Human Sciences Research Council
of South Africa, to become a leading African advocate of citizen involvement in demand-side governance initiatives....to develop cross-country collaboration, to provide technical assistance, and to share country experiences and lessons." The site features news on activities and events, reports on projects and policies, manuals on methodologies, and related news links.
- "Assessing South Africa's Economic Role in Africa" Joint Conference, Chatham House and the South African Institute of International Affairs, 9-10 June 2004 (Royal Institute of International Affairs, London, UK)
- Brabys.Com (South Africa)
A searchable database for companies and industries in South Africa, parts of southern Africa, and the Indian Ocean islands.
- Budget Information, 1997 to present (via Republic of South Africa, The National Treasury, Pretoria)
- Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Central Statistical Service--Statistics South Africa (See below)
- CADRE--Centre for AIDS Development, Research and Evaluation (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- CAPRISA--Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (Cape Town, South Africa)
A multi-institutional collaboration involving the University of Kwazulu-Natal, University of Cape Town, National Institute of Communicable Diseases, University of the Western Cape, and Columbia University. See especially:
(abstracts and full-text via institutional subscriptions)
- Centre for Sexualities, AIDS, and Gender (University of Pretoria, South Africa)
- Centre for the Study of African Economies: Structural Macro-Modelling of the South African Economy. (CSAE, Oxford University, UK)
- "This research program entails several projects: "New Monetary Policy Challenges for Sustainable Growth in South Africa" ; (ii) "Governance and inflation targeting in South Africa for sustainable growth" ; and (iii) "Monetary policy, growth and stability in Sub-Saharan Africa." The CSAE has developed strong links with the South African Reserve Bank and the Bureau for Economic Research."
- CSAE Publications and works-in-progress on South Africa
- Chamber of Mines of South Africa (South Africa)
This site is a rich source of information on the mining sector, with some reports dating back to 1995. The CMSA website offers links to daily & weekly news, quarterly reports on the industry, gold market reports, and industry directories; statistical data, policy position papers, and educational & reference sources.
- South African Cities Network (See below)
- Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa: Political Economy of Post-apartheid South Africa. (2015) by Vusi Gumede (Dakar, Senegal) 252 pages
is 'a pan-African, non-governmental organisation, set up in 1973. Its constituencies are African research institutes, social science faculties of African universities as well as professional organisations. It has an observer status and a collaboration agreement with the Organisation of African Unity (OAU).'
- CSIR--Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (Pretoria, South Africa)
"...a world-class African research and development organisation...undertakes directed, multidisciplinary research and technological innovation that contributes to the improved quality of life of South Africans."
--See especially: Publications
- Danish Institute for International Studies, Department for Development Research. Formerly Centre for Development Research. (Copenhagen, Denmark)
"CDR carries out social science development research in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. It supports development research through library and documentation services and offers consultancy services." Note: The majority of the full-text, online working papers are on Africa, north of the Limpopo.
- Development Bank of Southern Africa (Midrand, South Africa)
DBSA reports and other publications. (Selected publications available online in .doc or PDF format.)
- Directory of Development Organizations: South Africa (2010) (Bert Wesselink, The Netherlands?) PDF format.
- Economic Policy Research Institute (Cape Town, South Africa)
This NGO website features selected news reports, a small archive of downloadable papers, information on conferences and workshops, and other activities of the institute. "[Founded in 1994] EPRI is committed to analysing South Africa's socio-economic conditions and constructing sustainable economic polices that foster job creation and redistribution while supporting sustained economic growth and macroeconomic stability."
- ERSA--Economic Research Southern Africa (Cape Town, South Africa)
"...a research programme funded by the National Treasury of South Africa."
See especially: ERSA Publications
- The Economic Society of South Africa (via Global Insight; University of Pretoria, South Africa)
The Society was established in 1925 and is a discussion forum for economists in academic life, government and business. The website features selected papers from annual conferences, economic indicator graphs, information about the South African Journal of Economics--with sample articles, and related links.
- The Edge Institute (Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa)
- "The Institute provides in-depth analysis of the macro-economy and of industrial sectors, focusing on long-run trends and strengths and weaknesses in South Africa and other African countries."
- The Edge Institute Publications
An archive of downloadable reports on foreign direct investment, NEPAD, inequality, SA & the WTO, and HIV/AIDS.
- ELDIS Country Profiles (Electronic Development and Environment Information System, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK)
Search for South Africa: This service compiles and indexes links to online full texts (requiring Adobe Acrobat PDF), related web sites, and print publications in the IDS library on a variety of subjects pertaining to South Africa, especially in the fields of agricultural economics, trade, health, governance, and education.
- Creamer Media's Engineering news. (Online) -- Garden View, South Africa: Creamer Media (Pty) Ltd., 2005-
The online version of the weekly business and industry news magazine, featuring current news stories and profiles only--access to archives requires a subscription. The website also offers subscription information and online business research services.
- The European Union and South Africa, 1996-- (Europa, the European Union On-Line, Brussels, Belgium)
- South Africa. Ministry of Finance (Pretoria)
--See also: National Treasury below
- Food and Agriculture Organization on South Africa (Rome, Italy)
- FAO Aquastat Programme on South Africa, 2005
A profile of South African water resources. "The 'thirst' for water data is ever increasing and there is indeed considerable demand for data on rural water use from national governments and development agencies. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations initiated an activity in 1993 to meet this demand with particular focus on irrigation. This resulted in the AQUASTAT Programme, the objective of which is to generate rural water use data at country level in a systematic manner."
- South Africa in the FAO Document Repository
- Foreign Policy in Focus: "Thabo Mbeki's New Partnership for Africa's Development" by Patrick Bond (March 2002) Discussion paper -- Washington, DC: Institute for Policy Studies; Silver City and Alburquerque: Interhemispheric Resource Center, 2002.
- France. Ministère de l'Economie, des Finances et de l'Industrie -- Marchés extérieurs: Afrique du Sud (Ambassade de France, Mission économique; Paris)
De plus, il y a des informations sur les marchés du Botswana, de la Namibie, et du Lesotho.
- Friends of the Earth International (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- South Africa. Department of Health (Pretoria)
- Health Systems Trust (Durban, South Africa)
- This website offers current health news, downloadable reports, and links to a wide variety of health information for South Africa and the southern Africa region. "Health Systems Trust is a dynamic independent non-government organisation established in 1992 to support the transformation of the South African health system."
- South African health review. (Online). -- Durban, South Africa: Health Systems Trust, 1995-
review of health policy developments in South Africa: the most recent issue and back issues -- all downloadable in HTML or PDF formats; plus order information. See also, the HST Home Page
- District Health Barometer, 2004--
DHB 2014/15 is the most recent issue.
"Funded by the National Department of Health, the DHB tracks, over time, important aspects of health system performance at district level."
- For HIV/AIDS research, see also: University of Natal--Durban and University of Pretoria below.
- Human Sciences Research Council of South Africa (Pretoria, South Africa)
The site includes news, related links, and full-text research reports. "[Established in 1968] It supports development nationally, in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and in Africa. It primarily conducts large-scale, policy-relevant, social-scientific projects for public-sector users, non-governmental organisations and international development agencies."
-- See also: ANSA-Africa: Affiliated Network for Social Accountability
- IBSA: India-Brazil-South Africa IBSA Trialateral (Brasilia, Brazil; Pretoria/Tshwane, South Africa; New Delhi, India)
- "Established in June 2003, IBSA is a coordinating mechanism amongst three emerging countries, three multiethnic and multicultural democracies, which are determined to contribute to the construction of a new international architecture...In 2004, the IBSA Trust Fund was created...to enhance South-South cooperation for the benefit of the most needed nations. Its purpose is to identify replicable and scalable projects that can be disseminated to interested developing countries as examples of best practices in the fight against poverty and hunger."
- Working Groups
- 5th IBSA Summit, October 2011, Tshwane, South Africa-- Declaration ; plus previous summits
- Selected papers and e-books ; a list of publications ; and, IBSA catalogue of books
- Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa (Johannesburg)
This site includes detailed reports (in PDF) since 2000 on the South African economy and link to the IDC-sponsored website for NEPAD--New Partnership for African Development
. "The Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Ltd is a self-financing, national development finance institution (DFI) established in 1940 by an act of Parliament, the IDC act. It focuses on contributing to economic growth, industrial development and economic empowerment through its financing activities."
- "Infrastructure Africa: accelerating the business of Infrastructure," 21-23 July 2014, Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa Co-sponsored by Gauteng Province, Republic of South Africa, and NEPAD.
- The International Monetary Fund: South Africa Country Info (Washington, DC)
Summaries, full length reports, and recent news. Note:
Some documents are in PDF format, requiring Adobe Acrobat
- International Organization for Migration: In pursuit of the southern dream, victims of necessity : assessment of the irregular movement of men from East Africa and the Horn to South Africa (April 2009) -- Geneva, Switzerland: IOM, 2009. 168 pages in PDF format
- The Internet -- ICT Development and Web Search Engines in South Africa (via Columbia University Libraries)
- Johannesburg Stock Exchange Home Page
- Earth Summit 2002--Johannesburg Summit 2002: World Summit on Sustainable Development, 26 August to 4 September 2002, Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa (via The United Nations, New York)
- General information about preparations for the 2002 follow-up to the 1992 Rio "Earth Summit" of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development; plus related information and links.
- South Africa. Department of Labour (Pretoria)
- MBendi AfroPaedia (MBendi Information Services, South Africa)
"To assist companies and business people around the world to do business in and with Africa. In its pages you will find information on the business opportunities and challenges in the countries of Africa, the companies and organisations active in various industry sectors (Oil, Gas, Chemicals, Mining etc.), the leading business and government personalities, details of conferences and exhibitions, a directory of products and services, the larger development projects currently underway in Africa, and information on the African Stock Exchanges."
- MBendi South Africa Profile
- For other countries, see the MBendi Home Page
- South African Medical Research Council (Tygerberg, South Africa)
- Moneyweb (Johannesburg, South Africa)
A clearinghouse website for current investment news, analysis reports, and general business news for South Africa and the world....since 1997.
- NEDLAC--National Economic Development and Labour Council (Johannesburg, South Africa)
"Nedlac's aim is to make economic decision-making more inclusive, to promote the goals of economic growth and social equity...The main Government department is the Department of Labour, out of which Nedlac is funded, but the Departments of Trade and Industry, Finance and Public Works are also centrally involved in Nedlac...Organised business is represented by the newly formed Business Unity South Africa (BUSA), which brings together the Black Business Council (BBC), and Business South Africa (BSA)."
--See especially: Annual reports, agreements, and bills
-and- Research studies
- National Institute for Communicable Diseases (Sandringham, South Africa)
A web site for the medical professionals and the general public which includes information on testing services, recent news, plus other publications--including:
-- Communicable diseases surveillance bulletin. (Online)
. -- Sandringham, South Africa: NICD, 2003- (HTML or PDF formats)
- National Research Foundation (Pretoria, South Africa)
- The website offers detailed information on various NRF-supported initiatives and programmes; plus links to other sites.
- NRF-sponsored databases: research organizations, register of grants, South African Data Archive, South African Network of Skills Abroad, etc.
- NRF Publications
- South Africa. The National Treasury (Pretoria, South Africa)
- NEPAD - New Partnership for Africa's Development
- PASCAR--Pan African Society of Cardiology (Cape Town, South Africa)
"PASCAR had its beginnings in 1981 in Badagry, Nigeria in response to the total lack of interest in cardiovascular disorders by many health authorities on the continent...In March 1989...[PASCAR created] 5 regional bodies (East, West, Central, North and South)."
--See also: Highlights from Cardiovascular journal of Africa. (Online)
- PLAAS--Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies below
- PRODDER: The NGO and Development Directory of South Africa SANGONet (Braamfontein, South Africa)
- SAfAIDS: Southern Africa AIDS Information Dissemination Service (Pretoria, South Africa)
- "Southern Africa AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS) is a subregional non-governmental organisation that was established in 1994. Its main purpose is to help strengthen capacity to address the socio-economic impact of AIDS and to promote HIV prevention in southern Africa. ... SAfAIDS' main role is promoting policy, research, planning and programme development around HIV/AIDS in the southern Africa region. It works with NGOs, PWAs, government bodies, international agencies, research institutes, media organisations, the private sector, labour and others to assist them to explore and implement responses to HIV/AIDS in a development context."
- Useful links on HIV/AIDS in Africa
- Safari 2000: A Southern African Regional Science Initiative (Global Environmental Change Program, University of Virginia, Charlottesville)
This website includes satellite image maps of southern Africa and links to information about research. "SAFARI 2000 is an international regional science initiative being developed for Southern Africa to explore, study and address linkages between land-atmosphere processes and the relationship of biogenic, pyrogenic or anthropogenic emissions and the consequences of their deposition to the functioning of the biogeophysical and biogeochemical systems of southern Africa."
- SAHARA--Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS and Health Research Alliance (Port Elizabeth, South Africa)
- SANGONet, 2009-: Southern African NGO Network (Braamfontein, South Africa)
- Society of South African Geographers (via University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa)
"The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together..."
- South Africa. Central Statistical Service (Pretoria)
- South African Cities Network (Braamfontein, South Africa)
- South African Society for Animal Science (Hatfield, South Africa)
The website includes information on events, online issues of the South African Journal of Animal Science, online paper series, contact information of members in the South African Association of Professional Animal Scientists, and related links especially in the field of livestock production.
- South African Society for Atmospheric Sciences (SASAS) (via University of Cape Town, South Africa)
- South African Reserve Bank (Pretoria, South Africa)
The official home page of the Central Bank of South Africa, with general information on the bank itself, current gold & foreign exchange reserves, other investment information, as well as links to South African banks online and to other web sites for financial institutions in the southern Africa region.
- South African Weather Service (Pretoria, South Africa)
General daily and weekly forecasts for South Africa, seasonal and other reports, satellite images for southern and whole of Africa, and information about programmes.
- SARPN--Southern African Regional Poverty Network (Pretoria, South Africa)
A consultancy website rich in development-related news, other news on human rights and health issues, project and conference reports, and related links for the region.
- Standard Bank of South Africa Home Page (South Africa)
Note: This is a commercial site.
- Tralac--Trade Law Centre for Southern Africa (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
"Tralac was established in February 2002, with the financial support of the Swiss Department of Economic Development and consists of a core of trade lawyers and economists with high-level expertise in a range of trade and trade-related areas."
--See especially: Tralac Publications
: downloadable books, working papers, and trade briefs
- Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) (Nonkqubela, Cape Town, South Africa)
This website contains information on current awareness and health campaigns, HIV/AIDS news for South African and the region, documents, and related links. "The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) was launched on 10 December 1998, International Human Rights Day. Its main objective is to campaign for greater access to treatment for all South Africans, by raising public awareness and understanding about issues surrounding the availability, affordability and use of HIV treatments."
- United Nations Agencies on South Africa -- Economy and Environment
- UNAIDS--UN Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS: South Africa (Geneva, Switzerland)
- 21st International AIDS Conference, Durban, South Africa, July 18-22, 2016 (via UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland)
- United Nations Development Programme in South Africa (Pretoria)
- UN Economic Commission for Africa: "South Africa: locomotive for African growth." (2002) Chapter 2 in Economic report on Africa 2002: tracking performance and progress. (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) PDF format.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change 2011: Durban, South Africa,
November 28-December 9, 2011 (UNFCCC, Bonn, Germany)
- United Nations Habitat on South Africa
- United Nations Population Fund: Search for South Africa Country Indicators, Policy Developments, and Overview (New York)
- United States Agencies on South Africa -- Economy (Washington, DC)
- University of Cape Town, School of Economics: Development Policy Research Unit (South Africa)
- "[The Unit] undertakes research in the fields of labour markets, poverty, regional integration and regulation...centers on the following long-term research projects: labour demand and labour supply in South Africa; regional integration in the SADC region."
- DPRU Publications: including books and book chapters listes, plus online working and conference papers, policy briefs, and annual reports.
- University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban (South Africa)
- University of Pretoria: Centre for the Study of AIDS (South Africa)
The website includes downloadable research reports and news from the Centre, UN agencies, and news agencies. "[Established in 1999] the Centre operates ...to plan for, and cope with, the impact that HIV/AIDS is likely to have on the institution and the tertiary sector as a whole."
- University of the Western Cape: PLAAS--Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies (Bellville, South Africa)
- Who's Who in Southern Africa Published by Naspers, a multinational media group. (Cape Town, South Africa)
A directory and networking site, with over 7500 profiles of "Southern Africans" in government and business, mostly those residing in or having business interests in South Africa.
- Working Group on Space Sciences in Africa - WGSSA (South African Astronomical Observatory, Foundation for Research Development, Cape Town, South Africa)
- "The Working Group on Space Sciences in Africa is an international, non-governmental organization founded by African delegates at the 6th United Nations/European Space Agency Workshop held in Bonn on 9-13 September 1996."
- WGSSA Home Page
- African Skies. (Online) -- Cape Town, South Africa: Working Group on Space Sciences in Africa; via South African Astronomical Observatory, 1997- [ISSN 1027-8389]
- The World Bank on South Africa (Washington, DC)
- World Economic Forum on Africa 2017: "Achieving Inclusive Growth," May 3-5, 2017, Durban, South Africa
--See also: World Economic Forum on Africa, June 10-12, 2009, Cape Town