South Africa: Electronic Journals & Online News
- Africa Institute of South Africa: Policy brief. (Online) AISA policy brief. -- Pretoria, South Africa: AISA, 2008-
Note: some print issues are not available online.
- The African.Org. (Online)--Archive, 2009-2012 -- Pretoria, South Africa: Institute for Security Studies, 2009-2012.
Powered by Pressmart. Ceased.
Archive of a bi-monthly e-zine on African contemporary affairs, with virtual reading features, and published between June 2009 and May 2012.
- African Communist (Online): The journal of the South African Communist Party. Quarterly. -- Johannesburg: The Party, 1995-***Select "African Communist" under Publications. Current electronic issue and archive of selected back issues only. Subscription information for print version.
- African human rights law journal. (Online) -- Pretoria, South Africa : Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, 2001-"...publishes peer-reviewed contributions dealing with human rights related topics of relevance to Africa, Africans and scholars of Africa. The Journal appears twice a year, in March and October."
See also: Centre for Human Rights.
- African journal on conflict resolution. (Online) -- Mount Edgecombe, Durban, South Africa: African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), 1999--Current issue, plus links to other publications and activities of ACCORD.
- ANC today. (Online): online voice of the African National Congress -- Marshalltown, South Africa: ANC, 2001- ***See under "Publications"
- ARIA: Annual review of Islam in Africa. – Cape Town: Centre for Contemporary Islam, Department of Religious Studies, University of Cape Town, 1998-2012.Formerly ARISA: Annual review of Islam in South Africa (1998-2005). The archive collection of this open access UCT journal, along with information about a subscription-based publication: Journal of Islamic Studies.
- Chimurenga. (Online) --Cape Town, South Africa: Chimurenga Magazine, RedhotMoondog Media, 2002-This publication is the electronic version of a quarterly magazine on music and popular culture in South Africa and global Africa. "CHIMURENGA magazine is. streets villages pages. & sometimes even pagers. It's an advertising-free revue of arts.culture.politics and the relations that these enjoy around Africa. It is another kicking initiative by the Pan African Market aka Kalakuta Republique."
- Communicatio: Southern African journal for theory and research. (Online) -- Pretoria : Department of Communication Science, University of South Africa; Unisa Press, 1994-"Communicatio" is part of "Unisa Press Online Academic Journals." Selected full articles and tables of contents only.
- Conflict trends. (Online) -- Durban, South Africa : ACCORD, 1998-Recent issues of the online version of the quarterly publication of the African Center for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD). 'The magazine examines conflict issues on the African continent in a thorough and yet accessible fashion. African writers are expressly prioritized ...'
- de arte. (Online): journal of the Department of Art History and Fine Arts: 1994-2002. -- Pretoria : Unisa Press, published for the Department of Art History and Fine Arts, University of South Africa, 1994-2002."de arte" is part of a library of "Unisa Press Online Academic Journals." Selected full articles and tables of contents only.
- DeRebus: SA Attorney's journal. (Online) -- Pretoria: DeRebus, 1998--The online version of the monthly journal on South African legal issues, with a back issues archive; plus legal links.
- DISA: Digital Innovation South Africa (University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa)
- Originally called "Digital Imaging Project of South Africa": The site offers a free access to selected periodicals and other publications focusing on the socio-political history of South Africa, particularly the struggle for freedom during the period from 1950 to the first democratic elections in 1994.
- "DISA: insights of an African model for digital library development" by Dale Peters and Michele Pickover (2001) D-Lib magazine. (Online) ; Vol. 7, no. 11 (November 2001).
- e-Africa: the electronic journal of governance and innovation. (Online) Archive 2003-2005
-- Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa: South African Institute of International Affairs, 2003-2005.SAIIA published this monthly e-journal as part of its NEPAD project on finding and assessing new policy alternatives in Africa. All issues available in PDF format.
- Creamer Media's Engineering news. (Online) -- Garden View, South Africa: Creamer Media (Pty) Ltd., 2005-The online version of the weekly business and industry news magazine, featuring current news stories and profiles only--access to archives requires a subscription. The website also offers subscription information and online business research services.
- Export & import Southern Africa. (Online) -- Randburg, South Africa: Malnor Publishers, 2015- Monthly"...serves to highlight, in a professional and responsible manner, the trends and many associated issues influencing Southern Africa’s trade with the world."
- Feminist Africa. (Online) -- Cape Town, South Africa: African Gender Institute, 2002-"... a continental gender studies journal produced by the community of feminist scholars. It provides a platform for intellectual and activist research, dialogue and strategy."
- Freedom of Expression Institute of South Africa (Johannesburg)"...FXI was formed in January 1994 from a merger of two organisations involved in campaigning for freedom of expression during the apartheid years, namely the Campaign for Open Media (COM) and the Anti-Censorship Action Group (ACAG). Recently, the FXI also established the Media Defence Fund to sponsor freedom of expression court cases on behalf of media who are not able to afford the legal costs."
- Johannesburg review of books, The. (Online) -- [Johannesburg, South Africa]: The Review, 2017-"...publishes reviews, essays, poetry, photographs and short fiction from South Africa, Africa and beyond...also produce[s] audio clips and short videos related to literary goings-on."
- Mayibuye: The Journal of the African National Congress. (Online) -- Marshalltown, South Africa : African National Congress, 1995-98.Mayibuye is the monthly journal of the ANC. The site also provides access to back issues of Constitution News (Online) and Parliamentary Bulletin (Online).
- Politeia. (Online): journal for the political sciences and public administration. -- Pretoria : Unisa Press, published for the Departments of Political Sciences and Public Administration, University of South Africa, 1995-"Politeia On Line" is part of a library of "Unisa Press Online Academic Journals." Selected full articles and tables of contents only.
- Potchefstroom electronic law journal. (Online) -- Potchefstroom, South Africa: Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir Christelike Hoër Onderwys, 1998--Current issue and an archive of back issues. The site can be viewed in English or in Afrikaans --- most of the articles are in Afrikaans, with English language summaries.
- Religion & theology. (Online) --Archives, 1995-97 -- Pretoria: University of South Africa Press; Leiden: Koninklijke Brill, 1995-Selected full articles and tables of contents only. This journal contains articles mostly on Christian theology in general, but also includes some articles on African culture and politics.
- SciELO--Scientific Electronic Library Online (Pretoria, South Africa)"...South Africa’s premier open-access (free to access and free to publish) searchable full-text journal database in service of the South African research community. The database covers a selected collection of peer-reviewed South African scholarly journals and forms an integral part of the SciELO Brazil project."
--See: Alphabetical list of journal titles
- Science in Africa. (Online) -- Grahamstown, South Africa : Science in Africa, 2001-Current issue and back issues since January 2001. A popular monthly news magazine about scientific research and development on the African continent, plus information about funding and job opportunities and links to organizations.
- Southern Africa report. (Online): Archive, 1992-2000 and Index -- Toronto, Canada: Toronto Committee for the Liberation of Southern Africa, via AfricaFiles.***See: http://www.africafiles.org/sar.asp'The full text --without photos or illustrations-- of all articles published during the last eight years of the magazine - from July 1992 to October 2000. In addition, three indexes produced in 1996 — covering June 1985 to November 1995 - are available as a research tool.'
- Southern African journal of information and communication, The. (Online): TOCs and Archive -- Johannesburg, South Africa: LINK Centre, University of the Witwatersrand, 2001-This site offers the table-of-contents for the most recent issue and full text of the back issues. "...to encourage debate in the area of policy, regulation, management and development of broadcasting, telecommunications and information technology in Southern Africa."
- Thinker, The. (Online) -- Johannesburg, South Africa: Vusizwe Media, 2013-A Pan-African quarterly for thought leaders: This publication began in January 2013 as a monthly. The site includes an archive of past issues.
- Umrabulo. (Online) -- Marshalltown, South Africa: African National Congress, Department of Political Education and Training, 1996-The electronic version of a quarterly publication of political discussion and debate from the ANC party of South Africa.
- Umsebenzi: voice of the South African Communist Party. (Online). -- Johannesburg: SACP, 1996--The most recent electronic issues of the SACP newsletter, plus an archive of selected back issues, are available here.
Online News from South Africa
- All Africa.Com on South Africa (Washington, DC)Current news from and about South Africa provided by various South African and other African news media services. Warning: the searchable archive for articles older than 30 days is only available through subscription.
-- See also, All Africa.Com News on "Obama Visits Africa 2013" (June 27--July 2, 2013)
- amaBhungane: Centre for Investigative Journalism (Cape Town, South Africa)This site features current investigative news reports and an archive of "stories" since 2010. [Since March 2010] "...a non-profit company founded to develop investigative journalism in the public interest."
- Bizcommunity.Com (Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa)A news portal for daily advertising, marketing, and industry news for South Africa and the rest of Africa.
- Business day. (Online) -- Johannesburg: BDFM Publishers (Pty) Ltd., 1996-Current issue of daily financial and investment news, downloadable information, other links; plus a searchable archive of articles since 1997.
- Business report. (Online) -- Johannesburg, South Africa: Business Report, 1998-A compilation of daily news stories from major wire services on world business, South Africa, and Africa in general; plus links to business and investment data. Warning: the "article search" feature often does not yield any results.
- Cape business news. (Online) -- Cape Town, South Africa: CBN, 1980-The electronic version of the monthly newspaper, plus business information center for Cape Town and Cape Province, and a searchable business directory. The archives contains issues from the last three months and a larger collection is accessible via a search index.
- Cape times. (Online) -- Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Times, via Independent Online News, 2002-The current electronic verison of this daily newspaper, plus a searchable archive of back issues since 2002.
- City press. (Online) -- Johannesburg, South Africa : 24.com, 2017-
The current news articles online from this daily print newspaper, associated with News24.com.
- The Conversation--Africa (Braamfontein, South Africa)"...an independent source of news and views, sourced from the academic and research community and delivered direct to the public. Our team of professional editors work with university...and research institute experts to unlock their knowledge for use by the wider public."
- Daily maverick, The. (Online) -- Johannesburg, South Africa: The Daily Maverick, 2009-An open-access daily news e-zine, with a searchable archive for articles since 2013. "...a unique blend of news, information, analysis and opinion..."
- Elections in South Africa, 2016 (and earlier) (via Columbia University Libraries)
- Financial mail interactive. -- South Africa : Times Media Ltd., 1997-.Current South African business information, with a searchable index. Full access to archive requires subscription.
- GroundUp -- Cape Town, South Africa: Community Media Trust and Centre for Social Science Research, University of Cape Town, 2012-[Since April 2012] "We report news that is in the public interest, with an emphasis on the human rights of vulnerable communities."
- Independent Online News Service (South Africa)This service compiles current news and selected articles from The Cape Argus, The Star, and a growing number of other publications from all over South Africa; plus links to the websites of individual newspapers with limited free access.
- Isolezwe. (Online) -- Cape Town ; Johannesburg: Independent Online Ltd., 2006-Selected articles only in Zulu and in English from this online edition of the daily newspaper from South Africa. Full access requires a subscription.
- Mail & guardian, The Daily. (Online). -- Johannesburg : Mail & Guardian, 2000-
- Current news headlines. Warning: many reports--identified as "premium content", and the back issues archive (1994 to present), are accessible to overseas readers only through a low-price monthly subscription.
- Monde diplomatique, Le. Archives, 2006-: Afrique du Sud
- NEWS24.Com (Naspers Ltd., Johannesburg, South Africa)An online Internet news service in English (with "continuous feed") from South African newspapers and agencies, such as Beeld, Die Burger, Die Volksblad, Rapport, City Press, Finansies & Tegniek, Finance Week, and the Natal Witness; plus information providers outside of South Africa, such as Reuters, Associated Press, Interpress Service, PANA, and others.
Warning: To access the full articles in the English or Afrikaans language newspapers, a subscription is required.
- PictureNet Africa (Johannesburg, South Africa)A commercial respository of photographs from photographic agencies in South Africa, with information on fees and permissions.
- Politicsweb (South Africa)Politicsweb focuses on "...the news and politics of Southern Africa...aims to provide its readers with breaking news, informed comment and opinion, and easy access to key online resources ...The website is supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundation for South Africa (OSF-SA)."
- Polity.Org.Za: Policy and Law Online News (via Creamer Media, South Africa)This site offers government and economic policy news for South Africa and Southern Africa, including links to documents such as: SA government draft bills, bills, acts, notices, policy documents, and speeches.
- SABC--South African Broadcasting Corporation (Johannesburg, South Africa)This corporate site includes only basic information, "live" radio broadcast downloads, and a searchable online TV program guide.
- SACSIS--The South African Civil Society Information Service (Johannesburg, South Africa)Since 2008, this site offers news analysis and commentary on human rights and politics from a South African perspective.
- SAnews--South African Government News Agency (Government Communication and Information System (GCIS), Pretoria)The online daily news from the South African government information service, featuring news of the day and reports from the last two weeks.
- "Soccer" News
- South African Football Association (SAFA) (Cape Town, South Africa)"Soccer" news & events, video clips, information about SAFA, and related links.
- South Africa Premier Soccer League OnlineOfficial website of the league, with links to current news from Independent Online and The Sowetan; plus other "soccer"-related information.
- "Orange" Africa Cup of Nations 2013, South Africa, January 19-February 10, 2013 (via Confederation of African Football, Cairo, Egypt)--See also: MTN Football News on the "Africa Cup of Nations" 2013 (Johannesburg)
- FIFA World Cup, South Africa, June 11-July 11, 2010 Official site
- 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Official government site (Pretoria)
- South Africa.info: 2010 Fifa World Cup. (International Marketing Council of South Africa, Big Media Publishers, Ltd., Johannesburg, South Africa)
- South African Football Association (SAFA) (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Soul beat. (Online) -- Braamfontein, South Africa: Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication, in partnership with SANGONeT; Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: The Communication Initiative, 2003-The Soul Beat Africa website offers the current bi-weekly issue of the newsletter and the archive of all previous issues. "...for communicators, practitioners, media makers, academics, researchers and others who are using communication for change in Africa."
- South Africa Independent Media Center--Archive (2008) (Johannesburg, South Africa)Current news commentary by 'alternative and independent' media makers and media outlets. South Africa IMC is part of a network called Indymedia, a "grassroots, non-corporate" media organization with centers around the world, associated with the Independent Media Center first established in 1999 to cover the WTO protests in Seattle, Washington.
- South African Weather Service (Pretoria, South Africa)General daily and weekly forecasts for South Africa, seasonal and other reports, satellite images for southern and whole of Africa, and information about programmes.
- Sowetan, The. (Online) -- Johannesburg, South Africa: The Sowetan, 2005-The home page of the South African daily newspaper, with current electronic issue only. Note: a subscription is required to access back issues.
- Star, The. (Online). -- Johannesburg: The Star, via Independent Online News, 2005-Sample articles from current week of news is available from this site, but full access requires a subscription.
- Sunday times, The. (Online). -- South Africa: Times Media Ltd., 1997-Encompassing The Sunday Business Times: Current and a searchable archive of selected online back issues since 2004 only.
- Witness, The. (Online) -- Pietermaritzburg, South Africa: The Witness, 1997- formerly The Natal WitnessNote: Requires subscription for "premium web content." Current issue of the electronic version of this daily newspaper, which focuses on local Kwa-Zulu Natal events. Highlights from back issues are available in the archive.
- ZA News--Archive (2017) Co-sponsored by the Mail & Guardian and Kulula.Com (Cape Town, South Africa) --via YouTube.com
Launched on October 6, 2009, the TV program featured daily political satire videos, with puppet characters, created by Thierry Cassuto and Zapiro [Jonathan Shapiro], produced and directed by Thierry Cassuto, written by Thierry Cassuto, Ben Trovato, and Steve Francis.
- Zapiro's Official Website (ePartners4, Caterham, UK)"Jonathan Shapiro...was editorial cartoonist for Sowetan from 1994-2005 and appeared in the Cape Argus 1996-1997. He has been editorial cartoonist for the Mail & Guardian since 1994, the Sunday Times since 1998 and since September 2005 also appears three times a week in Cape Times, The Star, The Mercury and Pretoria News."