- BAMVITA--The Book Development Council of Tanzania (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- Bongo Flava Videos: Collection of Videos from Tanzania (UK)
This blog site features music videos and news about trends in Tanzanian hip-hop music and other forms of contemporary East African youth music with Swahili lyrics.
- COSTECH--Commission for Science and Technology (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
"...COSTECH is a parastatal organization with the responsibility of co-ordinating and promoting research and technology development activities in the country."
--See especially: COSTECH project publications
- East African Book Development Association (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- e-Learning Africa: 6th International Conference on ICT for Development, Education and Training,
May 25-27, 2011, Mlimani City Conference Centre, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- ESRF: Economic and Social Research Foundation (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; via Kabissa, Washington, DC and London)
The ESRF was established in 1993 as an independent not-for-profit non-governmental research institute for capacity building in economic and social policy analysis.
- HakiElimu (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- The website offers contact information and news about the activities of this organization which promotes educational development in Tanzania. "HakiElimu was established in early 2001 by a group of 13 Tanzanian founder members. The group consists of some of the leading members of the civil society, academic, research, media, human rights and critical gender community in Tanzania."
- Publications (including Tanzanian goverment documents)
- Institute of Kiswahili Studies, University of Dar es Salaam = Taasisi ya Taalama za Kiswahili, Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
--See also: University of Dar es Salaam Home Page below
- International Bureau of Education = Bureau de l'Education International: Tanzania (UNESCO, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Islam in Tanzania (2000) (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
Introductory texts and essays in English on the Muslim experience in Tanzania and East Africa generally; with links to publications in Swahili: selected issues of a weekly Islamic news magazine and a cultural magazine.
- Kamusi GOLD--The Global Online Living Dictionary (Switzerland)
This site includes the word list from "Kamusi Project: Online English-Swahili/Swahili-English Dictionary," formerly at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.
- "Kanga & Kitenge: Cloth and Culture in East Africa," Erie Art Museum, September 27, 2008--April 5, 2009 (Erie, Pennsylvania)
The web site for this art exhibition features images of kanga from the Museum's collections and photographs of kanga and kitenge being used, Swahili inscriptions, etc. ...all in downloadable PowerPoint files.
- Kanga Writings -- Pictures -- History (Hassan Ali, Ottawa, Canada)
A chart of Swahili sayings that often appear on the cotton cloth commonly worn by women in East Africa, especially in Tanzania or coastal Kenya. The chart also includes literal English translation and the deeper meanings.
- Kilwa Kisiwani Ruins, Tanzania UNESCO World Heritage (United Nations Educational, Scientifique and Cultural Organization, Paris, France)
- Kondoa Rock Art Site, Tanzania UNESCO World Heritage (United Nations Educational, Scientifique and Cultural Organization, Paris, France)
- Maarifa ni Ufunguo = Knowledge is the key (Arusha, Tanzania)
- 'Maarifa ni Ufunguo is a Tanzanian NGO, initiated in late 1998 and registered formally in March 1999. We advocate for equitable accessible, affordable good quality education, which is ethically managed, promotes social integration, and develops citizens with the capacity and motivation to address problems of ignorance and poverty.'
- Maji Maji Bibliography Project (Dr. Jan-Georg Deutsch et al., Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany)
A bibliography project compiled by graduate students consisting of an annotated list of German newspaper and journal articles, and some book chapters, by writers and observers of the 1905-1907 'Maji Maji rebellion' in what is now southern Tanzania.
- Mfuko wa Utamaduni Tanzania = Tanzania Culture Trust Fund (Dar es Salaam)
The website provides general and contact information on the activities of the organization; and related links. "The Mfuko is an independent funding organization which, within the framework of national culture policy, promotes and strengthens cultural actors, Practitioners and activities through out Tanzania by facilitating access to funds, sensitization and advocacy."
- Ministries -- Education and Social Welfare
- Mkuki na Nyota Publishers (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania) --via African Books Collective, Oxford, UK.
"Mkuki na Nyota Publishers (MnNP) ni kampuni ya uchapishaji vitabu ya Tanzania iliyoanzishwa mwaka 1991, Dar Es salaam, Tanzania. Baada ya kuongoza Kampuni ya Uchapishaji Vitabu ya Tanzania Publishing House kwa muda wa miaka 18, Bwana Walter Bgoya alianzisha kampuni hii kwa lengo la kuchapisha vitabu vya taaluma ya juu – yaani kwa vyuo vikuu na taasisi nyingine za elimu ya juu. Katika kutilia mkazo zaidi uchapishaji wa vitabu vya aina hiyo, Mkuki na Nyota imeweza kuchapisha vitabu mbalimbali katika fani ya Sayansi ya Jamii, vikiwamo vitabu vya Sanaa, vitabu vya ziada kwa shule za msingi na sekondari na vitabu vya watoto wadogo."
- Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere (1922-1999)
- Open University of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam (since 1994)
- Qur'ani Tukufu: Tarjuma ya Qur'ani Tukufu Kwa Kiswahili (1997) (Sheikh Ali Muhsin Al-Barwani, via GeoCities)
An online translation of the Qur'an in KiSwahili.
- 8th Edition "Sauti za Busara" Music Festival, Zanzibar, Tanzania, 9-13 February 2011
- Sukuma Museum Home Page (M. Bessire, via PHOTO.NET, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA)
General information about the Bujoro Cultural Center and Sukuma Museum in Kisesa, Tanzania (with colorful photos), and very briefly about the culture and history of the Sukuma people of western Tanzania.
- Swahili acquisitions at Columbia University Libraries, 1979-2011. (Dr.Yuusuf S. Caruso, Columbia University)
- Swahili Language on the Internet (via Columbia University Libraries)
- TGNP: Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
General information about the TGNP, its activities, conferences, and publications (with some online excerpts). "Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (TGNP) has been operational since 1993 as a registered non-governmental organization. During this period the NGO has built itself into an effective pressure group which promotes gender positive activism. TGNP is committed to facilitating social transformation leading to the creation of a vibrant Tanzanian society. It seeks to promote gender equality and social equity through the empowerment of women and other marginalised sections of the community."
- Tanzania Heritage Project -- Reviving the Radio Tanzania Archives (Dar es Salaam)
"The Radio Tanzania Dar-es-Salaam archives contain over 100,000 hours of priceless Tanzanian music on damaged and deteriorating reel-to-reel tapes, and they need our help. The Tanzania Heritage Project is raising awareness and support for the preservation, digitization, and restoration of this priceless audio collection."
- Tanzania Library Association (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- Tanzania Studies Association (via Google sites, USA)
- Tanzania Web Page (University of Dar es Salaam, Computing Centre)
The site offers general information about the history and culture of Tanzania (including a brief primer on Swahili), and some current events.
- Universities in Tanzania
- Ardhi University, Dar es Salaam Formerly University College of Lands and Architectural Studies of the University of Dar es Salaam
- Hubert Kairuki Memorial University, Dar es Salaam (Mikocheni, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
A private university founded in 1997 specializing in the medical sciences.
- Tumaini University of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (Moshi, Tanzania)
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Formerly Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences of the University of Dar es Salaam, this autonomous public university was fully incorporated in 2007.
- Mwenge University College of Education, Moshi, Tanzania
- Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania
- St. Augustine University of Tanzania, Mwanza
"...SAUT, established in 1998, is the successor of the Nyegezi Social Training Institute (NSTI) founded in 1960 as the Nyegezi Social Training Centre by the Catholic White Fathers (now called the Missionaries of Africa), under the initiative of Bishop Joseph Blomjous of the Mwanza Diocese, the Centre became NSTI in 1983."
--SAUT incorporates: Jordan University College
(former "Salvatorian Institute of Philosophy and Theology") in Morogoro, a Roman Catholic seminary college affiliated with the Philosophy Faculty of the Pontifical Urbaniana University of Rome, Italy.
- St. John's University of Tanzania Affiliated with The Anglican Church of Tanzania. (Dodoma, Tanzania)
- State University of Zanzibar
- University of Dar es Salaam Established in 1961
- University of Dodoma Established in 2008
- Zanzibar University
- Zanzibar Department of Archives, Museums and Antiquities (Tanzania)
This official site features general information for the visitor/researcher, with brief descriptions of the collections and a few photos.
- 19th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "This Journey of Ours" 9-17 July 2016 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)
General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2015 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."
- Zanzibar.net: Zanzibar Travel Network
This site is mostly for tourists. However, there are a few useful documents on Zanzibar's history and culture; a helpful links page
; plus, a short list of books
- Zanzibar Stone Town, Tanzania UNESCO World Heritage (United Nations Educational, Scientifique and Cultural Organization, Paris, France)
- Zanzinet Forum (Canada)
A web site for Zanzibaris and others interested in Zanzibar, with useful information about Zanzibari history, culture, and contemporary society; plus a photographic gallery and related links. "...launched in August 1994...Kassim A. Abdullah and Hassan O. Ali, by then students at Queens and Ottawa Universities in Canada respectively, were the founders of Zanzinet Forum."
--See also: Zanzinet Swahili Poems -- Tungozaneti