Selected Music Resources
General Music Resources
- Center for Research Libraries - Foreign Doctoral Dissertations Database
Searchable database of foreign doctoral dissertations
- Music Publishers Association
Includes contact information for member publishers
- Music Resources on the Internet (Indiana University)
Extensive listings - a good place to start a general search
- The Opera Schedule Server
Includes several opera-related links
- Resources of Scholarly Societies - Music
Listing of selected scholarly sites on music
- American Music Center
Contemporary music resource and information center; grants and score library
- IAWM (International Alliance for Women in Music)
Resources on women composers, including some bibliographies and discographies
- ICMA (International Computer Music Association)
Software library and excellent collection of links on computer music
- IRCAM (Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique)
Rich site, including software, bibliographies and on-line library catalog
- Society of Composers, Inc.
Membership information, resources and selected links
- Digital Tradition Folk Song Database
Searchable index (full-text search) of folk song lyrics, some with audio and scores
- Ethnomusicology Online
Includes online journal, some reviews and selected links
- Latin American Music Center
Center for Latin American art music, including library and newsletter
- Society for Ethnomusicology
Includes multimedia appendices to articles in the SEM journal 'Ethnomusicology'
- American Musicological Society
Home page, including conference announcements
- Archives of Early Music
Archives of the EARLYM-L Mailing List
A database for Gregorian Chant
- DDM-Online: Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology Online
A developing online version of Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology
- Medieval Music Database
"Covers all of the music of the fourteenth century and all liturgical chant currently electronically indexed"; 70,000 works may be browsed. Features include searching by text and/or melody.
- Gregorian Chant Home Page
Overview and collection of chant-related links
- Society for Seventeenth Century Music
Home page, including on-line journal
- TML: Thesaurus Musicarum Latinarum database for Latin music
An "evolving database of the entire corpus of Latin music theory written during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance"
- CAIRSS (Computer-Assisted Information Retrieval Service System) -- Bibliographic database of music research literature
- Music theory introduction at Dolmetsch.com -- Good site for music theory fundamentals. Includes downloadable manuscript papers.
- Society for Music Theory -- Includes their online journal Music Theory Online.
Online Audio Content & Resources
- "American Memory" collection: Online sound recordings from the Library of Congress
Diverse collection of online audio recordings, focused on historical and ethnomusicological topics.
- Database of Recorded American Music
A streaming online music database, focused on American music, featuring the music and liner notes of over 1,200 CDs, from the New World, CRI, and Albany Records catalogues, and continuing to grow with the Innova, Cedille, Pogus, Deep Listening, XI, Mutable, and other labels. Site restricted to users from participating universities.
- Classical Music Library
A streaming online music database, featuring classical music from over 32 labels. Includes a reference section with biographies, a glossary, images, and MIDI files. Site restricted to Columbia users.
- Multimedia Center @ CU Center for Jazz Studies
Jazz audio and video online, including the "Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" (revised edition), which includes the audio and the liner notes by Martin Williams
- Naxos music library
A streaming online music database, featuring classical music from the Naxos label. Site restricted to Columbia users.
Popular Music & Jazz
- AAAMC - Archives of African American Music and Culture
Includes selected list of Internet resources for African American Music, from Indiana University
- Center for Jazz Studies at Columbia University
Site "dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of jazz music", including CU course listings, events, and jazz-related online audio and video selections
- IASPM Home Page (International Association for the Study of Popular Music)
Selected links on popular music, and IASPM membership information
- Internet Underground Music Archive
Large, eclectic site, featuring independent artists, many including soundfiles
- Jazz Education Journal
Online journal of the IAJE (International Association for Jazz Education).
General popular music song lyrics search engine and related content aggregator. Allows searching in artist, title, and body of lyrics, and also pulls up identified related content from YouTube, concert event sites, and web sites.
- MusicWeb Encyclopaedia of Popular Music
Site has "nearly 4,000 entries, most for performers, but also for songwriters, producers and record labels"
- Red Hot & Cool Jazz
Large collection of links, including discographies and soundfiles