Mr. Frederick Tauber (CC'71) and Dr. Robert Tauber (CC'58) recently visited Butler Library to see the meeting room in the Library's northwest corner named for their father. Originally the School's social room, Butler 523 was renovated this past year. Appointed with wood trim and executive furnishings, the room has computer projection facilities and is on the university wireless Ethernet network.
Dr. Maurice F. Tauber completed a B.S. in Library Service at Columbia University in 1934, continuing his library education with a Master's in Education at Temple University and completing his Ph.D. in 1941 at the University of Chicago's Graduate Library School. Dr. Tauber (LS34) returned to Columbia University in 1944 as Assistant Director of Columbia University Libraries in charge of technical services and Assistant Professor at the School of Library Service. By 1949, he had become a full professor, and from 1954 to 1976, he was the Melvil Dewey Professor of Library Service. He retired from Columbia in 1976 and was named Dewey Professor Emeritus.
Dr. Tauber enriched the Columbia collections and librarianship in general. He was a source of inspiration to the students who knew him; and he collaborated with seven student associates to write the encyclopedic textbook, Technical Services in Libraries (1954).
Columbia University Libraries is one of the top ten academic library systems in the nation, with 7.5 million volumes, 49,000 serials, as well as extensive collections of electronic resources, manuscripts, rare books, microforms and other non-print formats. The collections are particularly strong in humanities and history, architecture, East Asian and other Area Studies materials, oral history, theater, and original materials in English and American literature and history. The collections and services are organized into 22 libraries, supporting specific academic or professional disciplines. The Library's web site at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/ is a gateway to the print and electronic collections and to services.