The preservation project focuses on 230 linear feet of lot owner correspondence and approximately 3,500 photographs. Comprising approximately 900 linear feet of diverse record and media types, the Woodlawn Cemetery Archive is the largest collection ever accessioned by the Drawings and Archives Department of the Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library.
The Woodlawn Cemetery Archive documents the history of the grounds, mausoleums, monuments, and operations of this cemetery, which was founded in 1863 in The Bronx and is one of the largest in the United States. A collection record has been added to Columbia University Libraries online catalog to provide access to researchers. The collection overview can be found under the Woodlawn heading at: www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/archival/collections/ldpd_6665518/index.html.
Founded in 1976, The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation awards grants to support the humanities, performing arts, and the preservation of scholarly sources by research libraries.
The Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library is one of the most comprehensive collections relating to architecture and the fine arts in the world. Avery collects a full range of primary and secondary sources for the advanced study of architecture, historic preservation, art history, decorative arts, city planning, real estate, and archeology. The Library contains more than 400,000 volumes, including 35,000 rare books, and receives approximately 1,000 periodicals. Avery’s Drawings and Archives collection includes one million architectural drawings and records.
Columbia University Libraries/Information Services is one of the top five academic research library systems in North America. The collections include over 10 million volumes, over 100,000 journals and serials, as well as extensive electronic resources, manuscripts, rare books, microforms, maps, graphic and audio-visual materials. The services and collections are organized into 22 libraries and various academic technology centers. The Libraries employs more than 550 professional and support staff. The website of the Libraries at www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb is the gateway to its services and resources.