Visiting Scholars & Seminar Associates Borrowing Privileges
Columbia Visiting Scholars* and Seminar Associates** may apply for borrowing privileges at Columbia University Libraries in room 201 Butler Library. There is a $30 per month fee for seminar associates. There is no fee for visiting scholars. The privilege is not valid at the Health Sciences, Law, or Teachers College libraries. Application must be made in person at the Library Information Office.
* Columbia Visiting Scholars are appointed at the recommendation of a dean, director, or chairperson of a department, with the approval of the Provost.
** University Seminar Associates are appointed by the Director of the University Seminars on behalf of the President. Privileges are renewable annually.
Seminar Associates: 4 weeks or the expiration date of library borrowing privileges: All Libraries except Barnard which has a 4-week loan period.
Seminar Associates with borrowing privileges may borrow up to 20 items at a time.
Visiting Scholars: Semester loans or the expiration date of the borrowing privileges for most materials.
Visiting scholars with borrowing privileges may also use Borrow Direct, and interlibrary loan.
Fines are charged for overdue books.
- Circulating books: $0.25 per calendar day for each day the item is late, to a maximum of $7.50.
- Course reserves/short-term loan items: $1.00 per hour for each hour or part thereof, to a maximum of $50.00.
- Butler Media circulating items: $7.00 per day, to a maximum of $50.00.
- Recalled items: $1.00 per day, to a maximum of $30.00.
- Lost items: Standard replacement (varies by library) and processing ($30.00) fees will be added to the fines.
Borrowing privileges at all Columbia libraries are temporarily suspended if fines or fees exceed $99 or if a recalled item is not returned on time. Lost items should be reported to the Library Information Office.
Columbia Visiting Scholars or Seminar Associates who do not need borrowing privileges but who wish to use library materials on site may do so using their CU photo ID card which they obtain in the ID Office in Kent Hall.
Return of Library Materials
Visiting scholars are asked to be sure to return all library materials before leaving the University.
Services Not Included
For Seminar Associates, the purchase of borrowing privileges does not include the use of Interlibrary Loan or Borrow Direct services or off-campus access to the Library's licensed electronic resources.
Please Note: The Libraries reserve the right to withdraw privileges if they are abused. Privileges are granted to individuals and are not transferable.