Staff Borrowing Privileges
Semester Loan: Barnard, Burke, Business, Butler, East Asian, Engineering, Geology, Geoscience, Journalism, Lehman, Milstein Collection in Butler Library, Music & Arts, Science & Engineering, Social Work, Teachers College, and the Ware collection in Avery.
4-week Loan: JTS, Law and Teachers College libraries
3-week Loan: Health Sciences Library
Fines are charged for overdue books.
- Circulating books: $0.25 per calendar day for each day the item is late, to a maximum of $7.50.
- Course reserves/short-term loan items: $1.00 per hour for each hour or part thereof, to a maximum of $50.00.
- Butler Media circulating items: $7.00 per day, to a maximum of $50.00.
- Recalled items: $1.00 per day, to a maximum of $30.00.
- Lost items: Standard replacement (varies by library) and processing ($30.00) fees will be added to the fines.
Borrowing privileges at all Columbia libraries are temporarily suspended if fines or fees exceed $99 or if a recalled item is not returned on time. Lost items should be reported to the Library Information Office.
Staff may register spouses/domestic partners for reading privileges in the Columbia Libraries. To register, the staff member and spouse/domestic partner must go to the Library Information Office inside the front entrance of Butler Library. Staff must present a valid Columbia University ID and provide documentation of marriage/domestic partnership. If the marriage/partnership is dissolved, please notify the Library Information Office. The Libraries will not accept another spouse or domestic partner registration until six months after notification of the dissolution of the relationship.
Please Note: Casual staff or staff who are hired as consultants are not eligible for free borrowing or for access to the Library's licensed electronic resources. They may apply to the Library Information Office for borrowing privileges for a charge of $100 per month.