CURRENT INFORMATION AND CURRENT LITERATURE ON AFRICA
Current Information Sources
This is a list of major news and factual information sources on Africa south of the Sahara; all are located in Lehman Library or available online.
A useful print guide to reference sources is: Africa: a guide to reference material, 2nd ed., by John McIlwaine
(Link to CLIO Record: Z3501 .M3 2007).
- Africa confidential. Semimonthly. 1964-
Back issues in print, see Lehman Stacks - DT 1 .Af81
- Africa contemporary record. Annual. 1968/69-
Lehman Reference: DT 1 .Af815
- Africa on file. 2 v. binders. 1995. Chronologies, maps & tables.
Lehman Reference: DT6.7 .A34 1995
- Africa research bulletin. Monthly. 1964-
- Africa south of the Sahara. Annual. 1971-
Latest in Lehman Reference: DT 351 .A35
For the online version, see: Europa world plus below
- Africa today. 3rd ed. 1996.
Lehman Stacks (Non-Circulating): DT 1 .A2542
- Africa Who's Who. 3rd ed. 1996.
Lehman Stacks (Non-Circulating): DT 18 .A22
- Africa yearbook : politics, economy and society south of the Sahara. Annual. Leiden, 2005-
Latest in Lehman Reference: DT353 .A34
- An African biographical dictionary. 2nd ed. 2006.
Lehman Reference: DT18 .B76 2006g
- African recorder. Semimonthly. 1962-
Current issues in binder, Lehman Reference: DT 1 .A228
- AllAfrica.Com -- Current and Archive (Washington, DC)
Selected articles from electronic African newspapers and other sources, with searchable archive, in English and French; includes the archive of Africa News Service dating from 1997.
- Area Handbook Series. Washington, DC: Prepared by The Library of Congress for the Department of the Army, 1987-1996.
Search CLIO under keywords: "Area Handbook" and [name of country]. Some are available online. For some countries, updates are available as: Country Profiles
- Economist Intelligence Unit -- CountryData, Profiles, and Reports (London: EIU, 1996-)
Current economic information organized by country and presented as analysis, briefings, commentary, or forecasts.
- Europa world plus. (New York, NY : Routledge; Taylor & Francis Group, 2007-)
A subscription-based library of electronic versions of the Europa regional yearbook series. Economic, political, historical, and geographic profiles of 250+ countries and global regions. Contact information for political, business, media, and cultural agencies and officials, including 1,900 international organizations.
- Factiva.com. (New York: Dow Jones and Reuters, c2002-)
A subscription-based, searchable, plain text, news service derived from selected US and international business and general news sources, with coverage since the mid to late 1990s. African news sources include selected archives from online African newspapers via AllAfrica.Com and others.
- Historical Dictionary Series. (Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press)
Search CLIO under keywords: [name of country] and "historical dictionary"
- International Organizations on Africa (Part of: African Studies Internet Resources)
- Lehman Library Guide to International Statistics
- Maps of Africa (Part of: African Studies Internet Resources)
- See also: Map Collection/GIS at Columbia below
- News and Information Services on Africa (Part of: African Studies Internet Resources)
- Newspapers from Sub-Saharan Africa - Currently Received, 2nd Floor, Lehman Library.
Columbia University currently subscribes to only 9 newspapers from Africa south of the Sahara.
See also: Electronic Newspapers of Africa (inc. North Africa)
- Political and economic dictionary of Africa.
Lehman Reference: DT30.5 .S433 2005
- Summary of world broadcasts. Part 5: Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. (London: British Broadcasting Corporation)
Daily, with weekly economic report. 1965-2001.
Lehman Stacks - DS 49.7 .B7711
For current reports of BBC Worldwide Monitoring, see: Lexis/Nexis Academic Universe
- U.S. Government Documents
Reports on international and domestic affairs, collections of statistical publications from international organizations, and declassified documents.
- See also: US Government Agencies on Africa (Part of: African Studies Internet Resources)
- World News Connection, 1994-2013 (via EastView Information Services)
NOTE: This service was suspended in December 2013. The internet version of FBIS Publications since 1994. WNC provided current & recent foreign news, translated, updated daily, and searchable, including a listing of top headlines.
- Digital Social Science Center
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre
- Map Collection/GIS at Columbia
- Perry Castañeda Library
- United Nations Cartographic Section
Current Literature Sources
This is a short list of indexes and other resources to help you find books, articles, and other materials in the social sciences on Africa south of the Sahara. All resources listed here feature citations with links to online full-text, CLIO for print sources, or Columbia's interlibrary loan services.
If you need more help, please contact Yuusuf Caruso, the African Studies Librarian (308 Lehman Library).
- Africa-Wide Information
A comprehensive, interdisciplinary, international index to all publications on Africa.
- African Studies Abstracts Online. 2003- (Leiden, The Netherlands: Afrika-Studiecentrum)
- AfricaBib: African Women Bibliographic Database 1974-(Leiden, The Netherlands: Afrika-Studiecentrum)
- Anthropology Plus (Dublin, Ohio: OCLC)
- International African bibliography. (Online), 2001- Quarterly. Published for the International African Institute, School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London.
- PAIS international. 1915-
- Social sciences citation index (via Web of Science). Triannual. 1956-
- Social sciences full text. Index, 1983- ; Full text, 1995-
For literature on individual countries or social science subjects, Lehman Library also contains recently published bibliograhpies in print. For example, annotated bibliographies in the World Bibliographical Series published by ABC-CLIO are still highly recommended. Most are found in the Lehman Reference section of the stacks.
Search in CLIO under keywords: "World Bibliographical Series" and [name of country].