Maps and Power in Modern African History
Compiled by Dr. Yuusuf S. Caruso, African Studies Librarian, Columbia University
in consultation with Professor Mohamed Mbodj, Manhattanville College, Purchase, New York.
Table of Contents
This bibliography of sources was compiled in support of a graduate history course designed by Professor Mohamed Mbodj. The course emphasizes an interdisciplinary approach to the history of cartography, Western imperialism, and geographical boundaries as they relate to West and East-Central Africa. African, Arab, and European concepts of "mapping" will be explored in depth, along with a general history of the modern geography of Africa. Consisting mostly of printed publications, the bibliography provides a foundation for the class readings, research, and discussions which focus on the Senegambian region, the Niger valley, and the Nile valley from around the 14th century of our era to the late 20th century. Book chapters and journal articles are not included in this list. The location and holdings of titles available at Columbia University Libraries, including the Rare Books and Manuscripts Library, are indicated.
- Africa: atlas of our changing environment. Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Program, 2008. PDF format
- Africa south of the Sahara. Annual. London: Europa, 1971--
Lehman Reference: Current issue
Lehman: DT351 .A35
Butler Reference: Current issue
Butler: DT351 .A35
See also: Europa world plus
- African history in maps. Ed. by Michael Kwamena-Poh et al. London; New York: Longman Group Ltd., 1982.
Lehman Reference: G2446 .S1 A4 1982
Butler: G2446 .S1 A4 1982
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: G2446 .S1 A4 1982
- Atlas of the world. 4th ed. (Oxford atlas of the world.) New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.
Lehman Reference: G1021 .A7545 1996
- Betz, Richard L. The mapping of Africa: a cartobibliography of printed maps of the African continent to 1700. 't Goy-Houten [Utrecht], The Netherlands: Hes & de Graaf Publishers, c2007. (540 p.)
Butler Reference (301 Butler): R912.96 B466
- Blaeu, Joan. Atlas maior. Selections. Blaeu's The grand atlas of the 17th century world. New York: Rizzoli, 1991.
Fine Arts: N72 C24 B56 Q
- Conservation atlas of tropical forests: Africa. Ed. by Jeffrey Sayer et al. New York; London: Simon & Schuster, 1992.
Lehman: G2446 .K3C6 1992
- Encyclopedia of Africa south of the Sahara. 4 vols. Ed. by John Middleton. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, c1997.
Butler Reference: R960 En191 v.1-4
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: DT351 .E53 1997 v. 1-4
- Freeman-Grenville, G.S.P. The new atlas of African history. New York: Simon & Schuster, c1991.
Lehman Reference: G2446 .S1 F73 1991
Butler Reference: R911 F877
- Griffiths, Ieuan Ll. An atlas of African affairs. New York: Routledge, 1994.
Lehman Reference: G2445 .G7 1994
Milstein, 4th Flr. Butler: G2445 . G7 1994
Barnard: G2445 .G7 1994
- Historical atlas of Africa. Ed by J.F. Ade Ajayi et al. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1985.
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: G2446 .S1 Hf 1985
Butler Reference: R912 H62
- How to identify old maps and globes, with a list of cartographers, engravers, publishers, and printers concerned with printed maps and globes from c. 1500 to c. 1850. Hamden, Conn.: Archon Books (1965)
Butler Reference: R526.8 L697
- Information sources in cartography. Ed. by C.R. Perkins and R.B. Parry. London ; New York: Bowker-Saur, c1990.
Lehman Reference: Z6021 .I53 1989
- Kurian, George Thomas. Atlas of the Third World. 2nd ed. New York: Facts on File, 1992.
Lehman Reference: G1046 .G1 K8 1992
- Lugan, Bernard. Atlas historique de l'Afrique des origines à nos jours. (Unbound leaves of text and folded sheet maps.) Monaco: Rocher, 2001.
Butler Reference, Atlas case: R911 L96
- Mapping Specialists, Inc. Africa on file. 2 vols. New York: Facts on File, 1995.
Lehman Reference: DT6.7 .A34 1995
- Maps of Africa
A list of online maps and other Internet resources for studies in African geography, compiled by Columbia University Libraries.
- McEvedy, Colin. Penguin atlas of African history. New ed., rev. ed. London; New York: Penguin Books, 1995.
Burke (UTS) LC Stacks: G2446.S1 M34 1995
- McIlwaine, John. Maps and mapping of Africa: a resource guide. London; New Providence, N.J.: Hans Zell Publishers, 1997.
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: Z6027 .A2 M38 1997
- Murray, Jocelyn. Cultural atlas of Africa. New York: Facts on File, c1981.
Lehman Reference: DT14 .C83
Barnard Reference: DT14 .C83
Fine Arts: N7380 C899
- Norwich's maps of Africa: an illustrated and annotated carto-bibliography. 2nd ed. Rev. and ed. by Jeffrey C. Stone. Norwich, Vermont: Terra Nova Press, 1997.
African Studies Reading Room, 607 Butler: Z6027 .A2 N67 1997g
- Peters, Arno. Peters Atlas of the world. 1st U.S. ed. New York: Harper & Row, 1990.
Lehman Reference: G1021 .P38 1990g
- Robinson, Francis. Atlas of the Islamic World since 1500. New York: Facts on File, 1988.
College, 4th Flr. Butler: G1786 .S1 R5 1982
Lehman Reference: G1786 .S1 R5 1982
Barnard Reference: G1786 .S1 R5 1982
Fine Arts: N300 R56
- Segal, Aaron. An atlas of international migration. London; New York: Hans Zell Publishers, 1993.
Lehman Reference: G1046 .E27 S4 1993
- World atlas of desertification. 2nd ed. Ed. by Nick Middleton and David Thomas; UNEP. London: Arnold, 1997.
Lehman Atlas: G1046 .J4 M5 1997
Selected National & Regional Atlases
Several hundred road maps, tourist maps, and regional or state maps from Africa (published in the period 1960 to present) are located in the Lehman Library Map Collection, 2nd floor (See large flat drawers, organized by region and country).
- Atlas du Burkina Faso. Les Atlas Jeune Afrique. Sous le patronage de Georges Laclavère. Paris: Les Editions J.A., 1993.
Lehman Atlas: G2679.3 .A8 1993g
- Atlas du Niger. Les Atlas Jeune Afrique. Sous la direction de Edmond Bernus et Sidikou A. Hamidou; sous le patronage de Georges Laclavère. Paris: Editions J.A., 1980.
Lehman Atlas: G2660 .A8 1980
- Atlas national du Sénégal. (S.l.: s.n., 1977) (Paris: l'Institut Géographique National)
Lehman Atlas: G2680 .A8 1977g
- Christopher, A.J. The atlas of apartheid. New York; London: Routledge; Johannesburg, South Africa: Witwatersrand University Press, c1994.
Lehman Reference: G2566 .E625 C5 1994
- Ethiopian Mapping Agency. National atlas of Ethiopia. 1st ed. Addis Abeba: Ethiopian Mapping Authority, 1988.
Lehman Atlas: G2505 .E83 1988g
- A history of West Africa in maps and diagrams. Ed. by Brian Catchpole and I.A. Akinjogbin. London: Collins Educational, 
Lehman Reference: DT475 .C37
- Illustrated atlas of south, central, east Africa. 1st ed. Cape Town: MapStudio, 1996.
Lehman Atlas: G8480 .M37 1996g
- Institut fondamental d'Afrique noire. West African international atlas = Atlas international de l'ouest africain. 1 v. (boxed set of folded, colored maps) Dakar: IFAN, 1968-1978.
Butler Reference Atlas: R912 In7
Lehman Atlas: G2640 I5 1968
- Institut Royal Colonial Belge. Atlas Général du Congo et du Ruanda-Urundi. Bruxelles: L'Institut, 1948. [32 vols.]
Lehman Atlas: G2600 .A32 1948
- National atlas of South West Africa (Namibia). Ed. by J.H. van der Merwe. Goodwood, Cape Town: National Book Printers, 1983.
Lehman: G2580 .N3 1983
- Nigeria. Federal Surveys. The national atlas of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. 1st ed. Lagos: Federal Surveys, 1978.
Lehman Atlas: G2695 .N45 1978
- Norwich, I. Maps of Southern Africa. Johannesburg: Ad. Donker: Jonathan Ball, 1993.
Butler: GA1604 .N67 1993g
- Ogun State in Maps. Ed. by S.O. Onakomaiya et al. Ibadan, Nigeria: Rex Charles, 1992.
Lehman Atlas: G2698 .O48 O48 1992g
- Pourtier, Roland. Atlas de la Zone Franc en Afrique subsaharienne: monnaie, économie, société. Paris: Documentation française, 1995.
Lehman Atlas: G2445 .G1 P68 1995g
- Robin, Nelly. Atlas des migrations ouest-africaines vers l'Europe, 1985-1993. Paris: EUROSTAT: ORSTOM Editions, 1996.
Lehman Reference: G2640 .E27 R63 1996g
- Sierra Leone in maps: graphic perspectives of a developing country. 2nd ed. Ed. by John I. Clarke. New York: Africana Publishing, 1972.
Lehman Atlas: G2705 .C62 1972
Introductory Texts & Comparative Studies
- Allen, Phillip. The atlas of atlases : the map maker's vision of the world. New York : Harry N. Abrams, c1992.
Barnard: G1025 .A36 1992
Butler: G1025 .A36 1992
- Asiwaju, A.I. Artificial boundaries. New York: Civiletis International, c1990.
Butler: DT21 .A851 1990g
- Bagrow, Leo. History of cartography = Geschichte der Kartographie. English. 2nd ed., rev. and enl. by R.A. Skelton. Chicago: Precedent Pub., 1985.
Butler: GA201 .B313 1985
Lehman: GA201 .B313 1985
- Benmessaoud Tredano, Abdelmoughit. Intangibilité des frontières coloniales et espace étatique en Afrique. Paris: Librarie générale de droit et jurisprudence, 1989.
Butler: JX4111 .B46 1989g
- Black, Jeremy. Maps and politics. London: Reaktion Books, 1997.
Lehman: GA108.7 .B58 1997g
- Blaut, James M. The colonizer's model of the world: geographical diffusionism and Eurocentric history. New York: Guilford Press, c1993.
Butler: D16.9 .B49 1993
- Borderlands in Africa: a multi-disciplinary and comparative focus on Nigeria and West Africa. Ed. by A.I. Asiwaju and P.O. Adeniyi. Lagos: University of Lagos Press, c1989.
Lehman: DT515.62 .B67 1989g
- Bryan, C.D.B. The National Geographic Society: 100 years of adventure and discovery. New York: H.N. Abrans, 1987.
Butler: G3 .N37 B79 1987
- Christopher, A.J. Drawing lines upon the map: inaugural address delivered before the University of Port Elizabeth on the 20th September 1990. Port Elizabeth, South Africa: The University, 1990.
Butler: G70 .C49 1990g
- Conley, Tom. The self-made map: cartographic writing in early modern France. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1997.
Butler: GA863.5 .A1 C66 1996
- Drury, S. A. Images of the earth: a guide to remote sensing. 2nd ed. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
Geology: G70.4 .D78 1998g
- Geographic perspectives in history. Ed. by Eugene D. Genovese and Leonard Hochberg. Oxford ; New York: B. Blackwell, 1989.
Butler: HC21 .G45 1989
- Geographies of resistance. Ed. by Steve Pile and Michael Keith. London; New York: Routledge, 1997.
Lehman: JA75.7 .G46 1997g
- Geography and imperialism, 1820-1940. Ed. by Morag Bell, Robin Butlin, and Michael Heffernan. Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York: Distributed in the USA and Canada by St. Martin's Press, 1995.
Butler: JC359 .G46 1995
- A geography of the third world. 2nd ed. Ed. by John Dickenson et al. London; New York: Routledge, 1996.
Lehman: HC59 .G3658 1996
- Goss, John. The mapmaker's art: a history of cartography. London: Studio Editions. 1993.
Butler: GA201 .G67 1993g
- Grove, A. T. The changing geography of Africa. Oxford : Oxford University Press, c1989.
Lehman: DT12.25 .G74 1989g
- A history of cartography. 6 vols. Ed. by J.B. Harley and David Woodward. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987- (Europe, the Middle East, and Asia)
Butler: GA201 .H53 1987 (only v.1-2)
Barnard: GA201 .H53 1987 (only v. 1)
- Konvitz, Josef W. Cartography in France, 1660-1848: science, engineering, and statecraft. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987.
Butler: GA861 .K66 1987
- Lewis, Martin W. and Karen E. Wigen. The myth of continents: a critique of metageography. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997.
Butler: G71.5 .L48 1997
- Longitude Symposium (1993: Harvard University). The quest for longitude: the proceedings of the Longitude Symposium, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, November 4-6, 1993. Ed. by William J.H. Andrewes. Cambridge, Mass.: Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Harvard University, c1996.
Science: QB225 .L66 1993
- Lutz, Catherine and Jane L. Collins. Reading National Geographic. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1993.
Lehman: G1 .N275 L88 1993
Milstein (Butler): G1 .N275 L88 1993
Barnard: G1 .N275 L88 1993
- Maps and Africa: proceedings of a colloquium at the University of Aberdeen. Ed. by Jeffrey C. Stone. Aberdeen: Aberdeen University, African Studies Group, 1994.
Butler: GA1341 .M37 1994g
- Mormonier, Mark S. Drawing the line: tales of maps and cartocontroversy. 1st ed. New York: H. Holt, 1995.
Lehman: G108.7 .M65 1995
- L'oeil du cartographe et la représentation géographique du Moyen Age à nos jours. Sous la direction de Catherine Bousquet-Bressolier. Paris: C.T.H.S., c1995. Mémoire de la Section de géographie physique et humaine; 18.
Butler: H13 .F7 t.18
- Phillips, Richard. Mapping men and empire : a geography of adventure. London ; New York : Routledge, 1997.
Butler: PR830 .A38 P48 1997
- Pratt, Mary Louise. Imperial eyes: travel writing and transculturation. London; New York: Routledge, 1992.
Butler: D34 .L29 P73 1992
- Scammell, G.V. Ships, oceans and empire: studies in European maritime and colonial history, 1400-1750. Aldershot, UK: Variorium; Brookfield, VT: Ashgate Publishing, 1995.
Butler: D215 .S28 1995
- Self-determination and secession in Africa : the post-colonial state. Edited by Redie Bereketeab. Abingdon, Oxon : New York, NY : Routledge, 2015.
Lehman: DT30.5 .S458 2015
- Stone, Jeffrey C. A short history of the cartography of Africa. Lewiston: E. Mellen Press, c1995.
Butler: GA1341 .S76 1995
- Snyder, John Parr. Flattening the earth: two thousand years of map projections. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993.
Butler: GA110 .S576 1993
- Thrower, Norman Joseph William. Maps and civilization: cartography in culture and society. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996.
Butler: GA201 .T47 1996
- Whitfield, Peter. The image of the world: 20 centuries of world maps. San Francisco: Pomegranate Artbooks in association with the British Library, 1994.
Milstein (Butler): GA201 .W48 1994
Fine Arts: N72 C24 W58
Pre-19th Century Africa
- Barbosa, Duarte. The book of Duarte Barbosa; an account of the countries bordering on the Indian Ocean and their inhabitants, written by Duarte Barbosa and completed about the year 1518 A.D. 2 vols. Translated from the Portuguese text ... and edited and annotated by Mansel Longworth Dames. Nendeln, Liechtenstein: Kraus Reprint, 1967.
Butler: 910.6 H121 ser2 vol.44 vol.49 (v.1-2)
- Barbosa, Duarte. The book of Duarte Barbosa; an account of the countries bordering on the Indian Ocean and their inhabitants, written by Duarte Barbosa and completed about the year 1518 A.D. 2 vols. Translated from the Portuguese text ... and edited and annotated by Mansel Longworth Dames. New Delhi: Asian Educational Services, 1989.
Butler: G286.B3 B26 1989g
- Barbot, Jean. Barbot on Guinea: The writings of Jean Barbot on West Africa, 1678-1712. 2 vols. Ed. by P.E.H.Hair et al. London: Hakluyt Society, 1992.
Butler: G161 .H2 v.175-176
- Ibn Batuta. Tuhfat al-nuzzar. English. Travels in Asia and Africa, 1325-1354. Translated and selected by H. A. R. Gibb, with an introd. and notes. New York: A. M. Kelley, 1969.
Milstein (Butler): G490 .I2 1969
- Ibn Batuta. Tuhfat al-nuzzar. English. Travels in Asia and Africa, 1325-1354. Translated and selected by H. A. R. Gibb, with an introd. and notes. New Delhi : Asian Educational Services, 1992.
Butler: G370 .I213 1992g
- Ibn Batuta. Tuhfat al-nuzzar. English. Selections. Ibn Battuta in Black Africa. Trans. from the Arabic and edited by Said Hamdun and Noel King. London: Collings, 1975.
Butler: DT365.2 .I26132
- Casson, Lionel. The Periplus maris Erythraei: text with introduction, translation, and commentary. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, c1989.
Butler: HF377 .C27 1989
Milstein (Butler): HF377 .C27 1989
- Cohen, William B. The French encounter with Africans: white response to Blacks, 1530-1880. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, c1980.
Butler: DT33.3 .C63
Milstein (Butler): DT33.3 .C63
- Dias and his successors. Ed. by Eric Axelson et al. Cape Town: Saayman and Weber, c1988.
Butler: G286 .D53 1988g
- Du Quesne, Abraham. Journal du voyage de Duquesne aux Indes Orientales. English. A new voyage to the East Indies in the years 1610 and 1691 [Microform]; ...to which is added, a new description of the Canary Islands, Cape Verd, Senegal, and Gambia, etc... London: Printed for Daniel Dring ..., 1696.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: FW
- Elkiss, T.H. The quest for an African Eldorado: Sofala, southern Zambezia, and the Portuguese, 1500-1865. Waltham, Mass.: Crossroads Press, c1981.
Butler: DT465 .N68 E45 1981
- Fall, Yoro K. L'Afrique à la naissance de la cartographie moderne: les cartes majorquines: XIVe--XVe siècles. Paris: Editions Karthala, 1982.
Lehman: GA1341 .F34 1982
- Froger, François. A relation of a voyage made in the years 1695, 1696, 1697, on the coasts of Africa, Streights of Magellan, Brasil, Cayenna, and the Antilles, by a squadron of French men of war, under the command of M. de Gennes [Microform].= Relation d'un voyage fait en 1695, 1696, & 1697, aux côtes d'Afrique, d'étroit de Magellan, Brezil, Cayenne, & Isles Antilles, par une escadre des vaisseaux du roi, commandée par M. de Gennes. London : Printed for M. Gillyflower ...; W. Freeman, M. Wotton..; J. Walthoe ...; and R. Parker ..., 1698.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: FW
- Hair, P.E.H. Africa encountered: European contacts and evidence, 1450-1700. Hampshire; Brookfield, VT: Variorum, 1997.
Butler: P130.52 .A357 H35 1997
- Hanno. The Carthagenian voyage to West Africa in 500 B.C. [Microform]: ...together with Sultan Mohamed Bello's account of the origin of the Fulbe. Introduced and ed. by H.R. Palmer. Bathurst: J.M. Lawani, Government Printer, 1931.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: F e1016
- Howard, Cecil. West African explorers [Microform]: Selections chosen and ed. by C. Howard, with an introduction by J.H. Plumb. London; New York: Oxford University Press, 
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: F a9368
- Isert, Paul Erdmann. Letters on West Africa and the slave trade : Paul Erdmann Isert's Journey to Guinea and the Caribbean Islands in Columbia (1788). Translated from the German and edited by Selena Axelrod Winsnes. Oxford ; New York : Published for the British Academy by Oxford University Press, c1992.
Butler: DT472 .I841 1992g
- Jobson, Richard. The golden trade, or, A discovery of the river Gambra and the golden trade of the Aethiopians by Richard Jobson, 1623: now reprinted for the first time by Charles G. Kingsley. Teignmouth, Devonshire: E. E. Speight and R.H. Walpole, 
Butler: 966 J579
Rare Books: Seligman 1904E J579
- Park, Mungo. Travels in the interior districts of Africa [Microform]: performed under the direction and patronage of the African Association in the years 1795, 1796, and 1797. New York: Evert Duyckinck, 1813. (Readex 1975 microopaques)
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: Fx 3 3395
- Pinkerton, John. A general collection of the best and most interesting voyages and travels in various parts of Africa [Microform]: many of which are now first translated into English. Digested on a new plan. 2 vols. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 1819.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: Fx3 3395
- Villault, Nicolas. A relation of the coasts of Africk called Guinée [Microform]: with a description of the country, manners, and customs of the inhabitants ... in the years 1666 and 1667 ... Trans. from the French into English. London: Printed for John Starkey, 1670.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: FW
19th Century Africa
- Alexander, James Edward. Narrative of a voyage of observation among the colonies of Western Africa in the flagship Thalia [Microform]: and a campaign in Kaffir land, on the staff of the commander in chief in 1835. 2 vols. London: H. Colburn, 1837. (Microfilm, 1988)
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: Fd 3788 v.1-2
- Barth, Heinrich. Travels and discoveries in north and central Africa. 3 vols. London: F. Cass, 1965.
Butler: 966.2 B281
- Bovill, E.W. The Niger explored. London: Oxford University Press, 1968.
Butler: DT356 .B62
Lehman: DT356 .B62
Barnard: DT356 .B62
- Burton, Richard Francis. First footsteps in East Africa, or An exploration of Harar. London: Longman, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1856.
Rare Books: DT40 .B97
- Charpy, Jacques. La fondation de Dakar (1845 - 1857 - 1869). Collections des documents inédits pour servir à l'histoire de l'Afrique Occidentale Française. Paris: Larose, 1958.
Butler: 966.3 C38
- Clapperton, Hugh. Journal of a second expedition into the interior of Africa, from the Bight of Benin to Soccatoo; to which is added the journal of Richard Lander from Kano to the sea coast ... Philadelphia: Carey, Lea & Carey, 1829.
Butler: 966.2 C539
- David Livingstone and the Victorian encounter with Africa. London: National Portrait Gallery, c1996. ("Published for the exhibition, David Livingstone and the Victorian Encounter with Africa, held at the National Portrait Gallery, London, from 22 March to 7 July 1996, and at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh ... from 26 July to 6 October 1996")
Butler: DT1110 .L58 D38 1996g
- De Brazza, Pierre Savorgnan. Conférences et lettres de P. Savorgnan de Brazza sur ses trois explorations dans l'ouest africain de 1875 à 1886. Texte publié et coordonné par Napoleon Ney. Heidelberg, R.F. d'Allemagne : Kivouvou--Editions Bantoues, 1984.
Butler: DT546 .B58 1984g
- Denham, Dixon, Captain Clapperton, and the late Dr. Oudney. Narrative of travels and discoveries in Northern and Central Africa, in the years 1822, 1823, and 1824, extending across the Great Desert to the tenth degree of northern latitude, and from Kouka in Bornou, to Sackatoo, the capital of the Felatah empire. 2 vols. London : Darf Publishers, 1985.
Butler: DT351 .D39 1985g
- Du Chaillu, Paul Belloni. A journey to Ashango-land and further penetration into equatorial Africa. (New York, D. Appleton, 1867) New York: Johnson Reprint Corp., 1971.
Butler: DT356 .D83 1971
- Forbath, Peter. The River Congo: the discovery, exploration, and exploitation of the world's most dramatic rivers. New York: Harper & Row, c1977.
Butler: DT639 .F65 1977
- Isenberg, Charles William. The journals of C. W. Isenberg and J. L. Krapf detailing their proceedings in the kingdom of Shoa and journeys in other parts of Abyssinia in the years 1839, 1840, 1841 and 1842, to which is prefixed A geographical memoir of Abyssinia and South Eastern- Africa by James M'Queen, grounded on the missionaries' journals and the expedition of the Pacha of Egypt up the Nile, with two maps constructed by James M'Queen. 1st ed., new impression. Cass library of African studies. Travels and narratives ; no. 34 (London, Cass, 1968.)
Butler: DT377 .I78 1968
- Laird, MacGregor and R.A.K. Oldfield. Narrative of an expedition into the interior of Africa by the River Niger in the steam vessels Quorra and Alburkah in 1832, 1833, and 1834. 2 vols. London: F. Cass, 1971.
Butler: DT360 .L18 1971
- Lander, Richard Lemon. The Niger journal of Richard and John Lander. Ed. and abridged, with an introduction by Robin Hallett. New York: Praeger, 1965.
Butler: 966 L2321
- Livingstone, David. David Livingstone's Shire journal 1861-1864. Ed. by Gary W. Clendennen. Aberdeen : Scottish Cultural Press, 1992.
Butler: DT1110.L58 A33 1992g
- Livingstone, David. Missionary travels and researches in South Africa: including a sketch of sixteen years residence in the interior of Africa and a Journey from the Cape of Good Hope to Loanda ... to the eastern ocean. London: John Murray, 1857.
Rare Books: DT731 L739
- Laporte, Jean. Première descente du Nil, de l'Equateur à la Méditerranée. Monaco : Editions du Rocher, c1981.
Butler: DT115 .L31 1981
- Morgan, Ted (Sanche de Gramont) The strong brown god: the story of the Niger River. London: Hart Davis, MacGibbon, 1975.
Butler: DT360 .G67 1975
Milstein (Butler): DT 360 .G67 1975
- Person, Yves. Cartes historiques de l'Afrique manding, fin du 19e siècle. (2 page preliminary, with 44 leaves of plates.) Paris: Centre de recherches africaines, 1990.
Butler Reference, Atlas Case: R912.6 P43
- Plates and maps of the travels of Ali Bey : in Morocco, Tripoli, Cyprus, Egypt, Arabia, Syria, and Turkey, between the years 1803 and 1805. Philadelphia : Printed for John Conrad by James Maxwell, 1816.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: Fx3 3395
- Rae, Edward. The country of the Moors : a journey from Tripoli in Barbary to the city of Kairwan. London : Darf Publishers, 1985.
Butler: DT189 .R33 1985g
- Speke, John Hanning. Journal of the discovery of the source of the Nile. New York: Harper & Bros., 1864.
Butler: 967 Sp32
Rare Books: DT117 .S74 1864
- Spilsbury, F.B. Account of a voyage to the western coast of Africa; performed by His Majesty's sloop Favourite, in the year 1805. London: Printed for R. Phillips, 1807.
Rare Books: G161 .P55 v.6 n.5
- Stanley, Henry M. Stanley's despatches to the New York Herald, 1871-1872, 1874-1877. Ed. by Norman R. Bennett. Boston: Boston University Press, 1970.
Butler: DT351 .S8 (2nd copy in Offsite)
- Stanley, Henry M. Through the Dark Continent, or the sources of the Nile around the Great Lakes of equatorial Africa and down the Livingstone River to the Atlantic Ocean. 2 vols. Mineola, N.Y.: Dover Publications, reprint 1988.
Barnard: DT351 .S83 1988 2 vols.
- Staudinger, Paul. Im Herzen der Haussalander. English. In the heart of the Hausa states. Translated by Johanna Moody. 2 vols. Monographs in international studies. Africa series ; no. 56. Athens, Ohio : Ohio University Center for International Studies, 1990.
Lehman: DT1 .P331 no.56
- Stewart, James. From Nyassa to Tanganyika : the journal of James Stewart, C.E., in Central Africa, 1876-1879. Edited and with an introduction by Jack Thompson. Blantyre, Malawi : Central Africana, 1989.
Butler: BV3625.N8 S74 1989g
- Tuckey, James Hingston. Narrative of an expedition to explore the river Zaire, usually called the Congo (microform) : in South Africa in 1816, under the direction of Captain J.K. Tuckey, R.N. : to which is added the journal of Professor Smith and some general observations on the country and its inhabitants. New-York : W.B. Wiley, 1818.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: Fx3 3395
- Van Orman, Richard A. The explorers : nineteenth century expeditions in Africa and the American West. 1st ed. Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press, c1984.
Butler: F591 .V25 1984
Milstein (Butler): F591 .V25 1984
- Wilks, Ivor. Forests of Gold: essays on the Akan and the Kingdom of Asante. Athens: Ohio University Press, 1993.
Butler: DT507 .W49 1993
- Youngs, Tim. Travellers in Africa: British travelogues, 1850-1900. Manchester; New York: Manchester University Press: Distributed exclusively in the USA and Canada by St. Martin's Press, 1994.
Butler: G240 .Y69 1994
20th Century Africa --- The Colonial Era
- Blunt, Alison. Travel, gender, and imperialism: Mary Kingsley and West Africa. New York: Guilford Press, 1994.
Butler: DT476.23 .K56 B58 1994
Barnard: DT476.23 .K56 B58 1994
- Delafosse, Maurice. The Negroes of Africa: history & culture. Trans. from the French by F. Flegelman. Washington, DC: The Associated Publishers, 1931.
Butler: 960 D3722
- Delafosse, Maurice. Le pays, les peuples, les langues, l'histoire, les civilisations du Haut-Sénégal-Niger. 3 vols. Paris: Larose, 1912.
Butler: 966 C626
- Frobenius, Leo. Und Afrika sprach. English The voice of Africa; being an account of the travels of the German Inner African Exploration Expedition in the years, 1910-1912. 2 vols. New York, B. Blom, 1968.
Fine Arts: N 7380 F924 v.1-2
- Gide, Andre. Voyage au Congo ; suivi de, Le retour du Tchad : carnets de route. Paris: Gallimard, 1981.
Milstein (Butler): DT546 .G48 1981g
- Hargreaves, John. West Africa partitioned. 2 vols. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1974-1985.
Butler: DT476.2 .H37 1974 v.1
Milstein (Butler): DT476.2 .H37 1974-1985 v.1-2
- Kingsley, Mary Henrietta. Travels in West Africa. Abridged and introduced by Elspeth Huxley. London : J.M. Dent ; Rutland, Vt. : C.E. Tuttle, 1993.
Barnard: DT472 .K53 1993g (2 copies)
- Memory: Luba art and the making of history. Ed. by Mary Nooter Roberts and Allen F. Roberts; with contributions by S. Terry Childs ... [et al.]. New York: Museum for African Art, c1996.
Fine Arts: N7397 K83 M51
- Morand, Paul. Paris--Tombouctou [Microform]: documentaire. Paris: Flammarion, (1928), 1991.
Butler MRR, 4th Flr.: F d3147
- Partitioned Africans: ethnic relations across Africa's international boundaries, 1884-1984. Ed. by A.I. Asiwaju. London: C. Hurst; Lagos: University of Lagos Press, c1984.
Lehman: DT15 .P34 1985b
Milstein (Butler): DT15 .P34 1985b
- Perham, Margery F. West African passage: a Journey through Nigeria, Chad and the Cameroons, 1931-1932. Ed. and with an introduction by A.H.M. Kirk-Greene. London; Boston: Peter Owen, 1983.
Butler: DT472 .P47 1983
Milstein (Butler): DT472 .P47 1983
- Reeve, Henry Fenwick. The Gambia: its history, ancient, medieval, and modern; together with its geographical, geological, and ethnographical conditions ... London: John Murray, 1912.
Butler: 966.5 R259
- Schneppen, Heinz. Why Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania : some reflections on the making of this country and its boundaries. Occasional paper ; no. 9. Dar es Salaam : National Museums of Tanzania, 1996.
Lehman: DT449.K4 S34 1996
- Women's voices on Africa and Africans : a century of travel writings. Ed. by Patricia W. Romero. Princeton, N.J. : M. Wiener Pub., 1992.
Butler: DT11 .W67 1992
Barnard: DT11 .W67 1992
- Writing women and space: colonial and postcolonial geographies. Ed. by Alison Blunt and Gillian Rose. New York: Guilford Press, 
Butler: HQ1233 .W75 1994
Barnard: HQ1233 .W75 1994
Select List of Rare Maps of Africa & The World
Located in the Rare Books & Manuscripts Collection, Butler Library, 6th Floor, Columbia University
Historical Map Collection: Catalogued under "P--Africa" and "P--World"
- Africa. Published under the Superintendance of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Chas. Knight & Co., 183--. Engraved by J.& C. Walker. (12 1/2 x 15 in.)
- Africa by H.S. Tanner. Possessions of the European powers, etc., with enlarged inset map of Liberia, 1834.
- Africae descriptio from Mercator Atlas Minor, reduced from large atlas by Jacob Hondins. 1607. (8 x 6 1/2 in.) (Framed with: Typus Orbus Terrarum, 1607.)
- Africa, drawn from the latest authorities. [London: Tho. Kitchen Ges., 1770]
- Africa es magna orbis terrae descriptione Gerardi Mercatores desumpta studio et industria. G.M. Iuniores, 1609. (18 1/2 x 15 in.)
- Ancient Egypt. Published by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. By G. Long, Prof. Greek, London University. London: Baldwin & Cradock, 1831. J. & C. Walker, Sculpt. (11 1/2 x 14 in.)
...Plus, a 2nd copy of same. (11 x 14 1/4 in.)
- Arab map of the world. 10th century. Facsimile (reduced). (2 1/4 x 2 1/4 in.)
- The British Empire throughout the World on Mercator's Projection. The British Empire, coloured red. (6 x 8 in.)
- Carte de Diego Ribero. 1529. (24 x 17 1/2 in.) Facsimile.
- Carte générale de l'Afrique. Dressée par H.N. Dufour. Paris: s.n., 1854. (Col. map sheet)
- Central Africa ....by Dr. F. Boas. New York: Hart & Von Arx, 1887. (In 'Science', May 27, 1887.) (11 x 15 3/4 in.)
- The Century Atlas: Africa. [map] New York: Century Co., c1897 and c1902. [Buffalo, NY: Matthews--Northrup Co.] Insets: Cape Verde Is.-- Ascension Is.--St Helena Is.--Réunion--Mauritius. (470 English statute miles to 1 in.)
- The Century Atlas Africa, North East Part. New York: The Century Co., 1897. (10 1/4 x 15 1/4 in.)
- Colton's Map of the World on Mercator's Projection, showing isothermae lines. New York: J.H. Colton & Co., 1855. (16 x 24 in.)
- Edrisi's map. A.D. 1154. Palermo. Facsimile reduced. (4 x 4 in.)
- Egypt with Libia; designed for sur. Rollins Ancient History, by sur. Danville, the King's Geographer. 1738. Engraved by R.W. Seale. (9 x 12 1/2 in.)
- Genoese world map. Manuscript. 1457. Facsimile. (32 x 18 1/2 in.)
- Johnson's Africa. New York: A.J. Johnson, 1864. (Oversize, col. map sheet; includes map insets of "Cape Verde Islands", "St. Helena", "Liberia", "The Nile", and "Cape Colony".)
- Johnson' s Africa by Johnson and Ward. [map] [New York: Johnson and Ward, 1863? ] (From Johnson's new illustrated family atlas. New York: Johnson and Ward, 1863?) Text on verso: "Chronological history of the Great Rebellion"; inset: St Helena.
- Manuscript map by Al-Idrisi, reproduced from his Amusement for him who desires to travel around the world, ca. 1165. Facsimile. (80 x 35 in.)
- Map of Africa. New York: Daniel Burgess & Co., 1853. (Col. map sheet)
- Map of Africa by Paulus Forlani Veronese. 1562. (24 x 17 in.) Facsimile.
- Map of Africa, showing its most recent discoveries. Constructed and engraved by W. Williams. Philadelphia: s.n., 1860.
- Map of Africa, engraved to illustrate Mitchell's New Intermediate Geography. [ Philadelphia: E.H. Butler & Co., 1870?] Insets: Map of Egypt; Liberia and Sierra Leone; text on verso: "Asia".
- Map of Africa, engraved to illustrate Mitchell's School and Family Geography. No. 28. ; includes map insets of "Map of Egypt" (No. 29) and "Map of Liberia" (No. 30). Engraved by J.H. Young. [Philadelphia: s.n., 1852] (Col. map sheet)
- Map of the World: dressée par A.H. Dufour. Paris: 1850. (34 x 24 1/2 in.)
- Mappe-monde ou Carte générale. Dressée sur les observations de Mrs. de l'Academie Royale des Science. N. pub. Paris: n.d. (1760s?) (21 7/16 x 17 7/8 in.) (Border is in the form of a game to be played with dice.)
- Mercator's first world map. A.D. 1538. Facsimile reduced. (*Only known original in the American Geographic Society) (2 3/4 x 1 3/4 in.)
- A new and correct map of the whole world. The projection of this map is called Mercator's. By Herman Moll, geographer. 1719. (46 x 30 in.)
- North Africa or Barbary V: parts of Tripoli and Egypt. Published under the Superintendance of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Baldwin & Cradock, 1837. Engraved by J.& C. Walker. (11 3/4 x 15 1/4 in.)
- Nova totius Terrarum Orbis Geographica ac hydrographica tabula. [Amsterdam] Guiljelmo Blaeuw [1640?] (17 x 22 1/4 in.) (From a Latin edition of Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in various editions and states through 1655.)
- Ptolemey's map A.D. 150. Facsimile (much reduced). (4 x 2 1/2 in.)
- South Africa. Compiled from the M.S. Maps in the Colonial Office. Published under the Superintendance of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Baldwin & Cradock, 1834. (11 3/4 x 14 3/4 in.)
- Spezial--Karte von Afrika ...entworfen von Hermann Habenicht, bearbeitet von demselben, Bruno Domann und Dr. Richard Ludecke. Gotha: Justus Perthes, 1887. In 10 parts. (each approx. 19 x 25 in.) Sektion:
- West Sahara
- Central Sahara
- Central Sudan
- Delagoa Bai
- Sylvannus' map A.D. 1511. By Bernardi Sylvannus. Facsimile (reduced). (5 1/4 x 4 in.)
- West Africa. Published by the Superintendance of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London: Charles Knight & Co., 183--. Engraved by J. & C. Walker. In 2 parts. (each 12 x 15 in.)
- The world on Mercator's projection. By James Wyld. London: 1855.