Japanese Studies Research Guide
- Shoshi nenkan (書誌年鑑）
- Shuppan Nenkan ( 出版年鑑）
Columbia's online public catalog was transformed to a discover tool and contains records for almost all materials, including books, periodicals, microforms, and databases, and beyond. Most of Japanese language materials are cataloged both in Japanese language as well as translitelation of Japanese in romanization in the modified Hepburn System employed by the Library of Congress. It is more effective to search by romanization rather than Japanese, but pay attention to word divisions. CLIO search tips, please click here.
- WorldCat (OCLC)
An online catalog of the 24,000 member libraries of OCLC. WorldCat has over 49 million titles, including books, serials, musical scores and recordings, and maps. It also contains the majority of Waseda University's holdings. This catalog is useful for finding Japanese name readings.
- CiNii Books
A new version of Webcat -- a service for searching for information on books and journals held in libraries of universities and research institutions in Japan. Searchable for about 10 million titles held in 1200 university libraries (totaled over 100 million books), and about 1.5 million authors of these books that has been accumulated through the online cataloging system (NACSIS-CAT) which NII provides.
- Webcat Plus
A “second-generation Webcat,” this database uses an “associative search function” that uses keywords to extract other words from the bibliographic records that have a high association with them. Like Webcat, it also provides Japanese library holding information (useful for ILL).
- National Diet Library (NDL 国立国会図書館）OPAC
Search materials (books, journal articles, "Standards & Technical Reports, Materials on the Allied Occupation of Japan), held by the National Diet Library.
- NDL -New Search
“NDL Search” is a new search service of NDL from 2012 for multi-types of materials, not only books and journal articles but also digital materials, from in public libraries, archives, museums, institutes of academic research and NDL in Japan. Please note: Columbia does not participate in ILL for books with NDL. NDL will, however, provide photocopied articles to Columbia.
- NDL Electronic Library (国立国会図書館デジタル化資料）
Service for searching and displaying various digitized library materials collected and accumulated in the National Diet Library including Kindai Digital Library (books), antiquarian/rare books, journals, newspapers, dissertations, historical sound sources, official gazette (官報), modern Japanese political history materials (憲政資料), etc.
- Waseda University Scholarly Information Network System (WINE)
WINE is the Waseda University Library online catalog. Although it contains 2.9 million records, WINE does not reflect the library's complete holdings. This catalog is useful for finding Japanese name readings.
- Books.or.jp(本を探す） (Search Engine for Japanese Books)
Online "Japanese Books in Print" contains Japanese books currently available from commercial publishers and is maintained by the Japan Book Publishers Association
- JAIRO (Japanese Institutional Repositories Online)
JAIRO is the cross-sectionally search service for academic information (journal articles, theses or dissertations, departmental bulletin papers, research papers, etc.) which has been accumulated in Japanese institutional repositories.
Indexes to Works in Collections and Series:
- Zenshū, sōsho sōmokuroku (全集・叢書 総目録）.
Meiji, Taishō, Shōwa senzenki
- zenshū kōza naiyō sōran （全集講座内容綜覧）
Jinbun hen (人文編）
Shakai hen (社会編）
- Kojin chosakushū naiyō sōran (個人 著作集 内容 綜覧)
- Kojin zenshū naiyō sōran (個人全集内容綜覧）
Dai II-ki (第II期）
- Zenshū kojin zenshū naiyō sōran (全集 個人 全集・內容 綜覧)
Dai III-ki (第 III期)
Dai IV-ki (第ＩＶ期）
Dai V-ki (第Ｖ期）
- Kojin zenshū sakuhinmei sōran (個人 全集・作品名 綜覧)
Dai II-ki ((第II期）
Getting Japanese Books
To obtain a copy of a book you have located on the above catalogs/databases, try the following steps:
- Go to CLIO (Columbia Library Information Online) to see if it is available in one of the Columbia libraries.
- If a book is not at Columbia or the Columbia copy is checked out, try Borrow Direct.
- If the Borrow Direct libraries do not have an available copy, try ILL to request a copy.
Note: Columbia is a member of GIF (Global ILL Framework), which allows us to borrow books and get copies of articles from GIF member libraries in Japan.
Early Japanese Books (古典籍)
- Kokusho Sōmokuroku (国書総目録）
Union catalog of books worked by Japanese and published by Keio 3 
- Kokusho kaidai. Zōtei kaihan. (国書解題. 増訂改版）
- Zenshū sōsho saimoku sōran. Koten hen. (全集叢書細目総覧. 古典：)
- Nihon Kotenseki Sōgō Mokuroku (日本古典籍総合目録）
A database of pre-Meiji materials maintained by the National Institute of Japanese Literature (Kokubungaku Kenkyu Shiryōkan). This database, “New KOKUSHO SO MOKUROKU” is a union catalogue of early Japanese books. (It also includes Chinese classics and books of the Meiji period). It provides authoritative information about Japanese classical literary works and their authors. It also provide bibliographic information on early Japanese books, and their holding libraries.
- National Diet Library Rare Books Image Database (国立国会図書館古典籍資料）
- National Institute of Japanese Literature Early Japanese Books Image (Kanō Wakosho) Database (国文学資料館所蔵和古書・マイクロ／デジタル目録データベース
- Kyoto University Digital Library Rare Materials Exhibition (京都大学電子図書館貴重資料画像）
- University of Tokyo Library System Digital KATEI Collection (東京大学図書館霞亭文庫）
- Waseda University Library Japanese and Chinese Classics Kotenseki Sōgō Database(早稲田大学図書館古典籍総合データベース）
- Tohoku University Libary Image Database of the KANO Collection (東北大学図書館狩野文庫）
- Premodern Japanese Texts and Translations
Edited and individually maintained by Michael Watson, Faculty of International Studies, Meiji Gakuin University, this website contains an exhaustive list of classical Japanese texts, along with related translations (mostly English, some French and German) and studies on the texts.
- Japanese Literature in Translation Search (日本文学翻訳書誌検 索) The database is compiled by the Japan Foundation in collaboration with the Japan P.E.N. Club for Japanese literature, mainly works after the World War II, which are translated into other languages. Search can be made in Japanese or its Romanization.
- Reading Japanese Literature in English (英語で読む日本文学)
- National Diet Library Dejital Library from the Meiji Era (国立国会図書館近代デジタルライブラリー）
- In Japan Knowledge Pluｓ
- Shinpen Nihon koten bungaku zeshū (新編日本古典文学全集)
- Tōyō bunko (東洋文庫）
- Bunko Kuseju[Que sais-je] besuto serekushon (文庫クセジュベストセレクション）
- BlueSky Collection (青空文庫）
A collection of non-copyright-protected Japanese literary works, available for download in several file formats.
- Japanese Text Initiative (Universities of Virginia/Pittsburgh)
This website contains full-text versions of several works of classical Japanese literature, including the Manyoshu, Genji Monogatari, etc.
List/Catalog of Journals
- Zasshi shinbun sōkatarogu （雑誌新聞総カタログ） = Japan's periodicals in print
- Zasshi kiji sakuin sairokushi ichiran (雑誌記事索引採録誌一覧)
Indexes for Journal Articles
- Zasshi kiji sakuin shūsei dētabēsu : Meiji kara genzai made sōgō zasshi kara chishi made （雑誌記事索引集成データベース：明治から現在まで、総合雑誌から地誌まで）= The complete database for Japanese magazines and periodicals from the Meiji era to the present.
Index to periodical articles published in Japanese, including those in former Japanese colonies, and including local periodicals not present in many other indexes. Coverage is from 1868 onwards. Merges data from various composite periodical indexes by Kokuritsu Kokkai Toshokan.
GeNii is NII's academic content portal, providing services related to academic papers, book information, etc. In addition to providing individual services, GeNii connects the services together. Component parts are: CiNii (Citation information by NII), Webcat Plus, KAKEN, NII-DBR (Academic research database repository). It contains about 3 million full-text articles from 1000 published academic journals as well as bibliographic information on other academic papers.
- Web OYA-bunko （Ｗｅｂ大宅文庫）
WebOya indexes periodicals held by the Ōya Sōichi bunko, a private library in Tokyo with a comprehensive collection of popular journals reflecting popular culture in Japan. Provides basic and advanced Boolean searching, as well as classified searches by personal names, occupation, subject, and keyword. Indexes 400 titles including 110,000 personal name and 7,000 subject headings. Coverage: 1988- present.
- Kokubungaku Ronbun Mokuroku Database （国文学論文目録データベース）
Periodical article index to Kokubungaku Nenkan. Provides citations to journal articles and books with subjects related to Japanese literature.
CDs/DVDs : Available on Japanese CD/DVD-ROM workstation in the Reading Room.
- Seisen Kindai Bungei Zasssishū Sōmokuji (精選近代文芸雑誌集総目次)
- "Jinmin Bungaku" Zengō hyōshi gazō, sōmokuji, sakuin (「人民文学」全号表紙画像、宗目次・索引)
- "Shinbun to Shaki" kanbetsu kiji (「新聞と社会」 巻別記事)
Online Web journal:
- Fūzoku gahō (風俗画報）
CD/DVD format reprint journal: Available on Japanese CD/DVD-ROM workstation in the Reading Room.
- Bungei Kurabu (文藝倶楽部)
- Fujin Gaho (婦人画報)
- Gunzō (群像)
- Kokka (国華)
- Taiyō [Hakubunkan] (太陽 [博文館])
Journal articles in Web-based databases:
- Aera (アエラ) via Kikuzo II bijuaru (Asahi Shinbun)
- Nihon no ronten (日本の論点） via Japan Knowledge
- Shūkan Asahi (週刊朝日）via Kikuzo II bijuaru (Asahi Shinbun)
- Shūkan Daiyamondo (週刊ダイヤモンド) via Nikkei Telecom 21
- Shūkan ekonomisuto (週刊エコノミスト) via Japan Knowledge or Nikkei Telecom 21
- Shūkan Tōyō Keizai (週刊東洋経済） via Nikkei Telecom 21
- National Diet Library (NDL)
140,000 digitized dissertations which received by the NDL in 1991-2000. Out of these, 14,000 digitized disserations are open on the Internet.
GeNii is NII's academic content portal. To search dissertation, click NII-DBR (Academic research database repository) button and then check only Doctoral Dissertation Bibliographic Database.
- Doctoral Dissertation Database of Women's Studies, Gender Studies = WS/GS学位論文データベース
- Japan and Korea : An Annotated Bibliography of Doctoral Dissertations in Western Languages, 1877-1969
- Asahi shinbun onrain kiji dētabēsu （朝日新聞オンライン記事データベース：聞蔵ＩＩ）
(also known as: Kikuzo ＩＩ Visual, Asahi shinbun articles online database)
Asahi shinbun newspaper articles from 1879 to the present.
- Mainichi Shinbunsha no dētabēsu, Maisaku （毎日新聞データベース、毎索）
(also known as Maisaku)
Includes Mainichi Shinbun and its predecessor, Tokyo Nichinichi Shinbun from 1872 to the present.
- Nikkei Telecom 21 （日経テレコン２１）
All major Japanese newspapers (central, local, and English newspapers) from the mid 1980s.
- Yomiuri shinbun online （読売新聞オンライン： ヨミダス歴史館）
(Also known as Yomidasu Rekishikan)
Includes Yomiuri shinbun 1874 to the present , along with the English edition: the Daily Yomiuri (Sept. 1989- to the present).
- Taiwan nichinichi shinpō （台湾日日新報）
An official newspaper published by the Government-General of Taiwan from 1898 to 1944.
- Kobe University Library Newspaper Clippings Collection （神戸大学附属図書館新聞記事文庫）
The "Newspaper Article Collection", also known as the "newspaper clippings collection," is a collection of newspaper clippings from the end of the Meiji era to Showa 45 (i.e. 1970). It was created by the Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration, Kobe, Japan. There are approximately 3200 clippings, collected continuously for over 60 years. If you count articles, the number of items increases to approximately 500,000 articles.
List, Library Holdings:
Zasshi shinbun sōkatarogu （雑誌新聞総カタログ） = Japan's periodicals in print
Meiji Shinbun Zasshi Bunko shozō zasshi mokuroku : Shōwa 54-nen 3-gatsu genzai /明治新聞雑誌文庫所蔵雑誌目錄 ： 昭和54年3月現在
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- Sekai dai hyakka jiten = Heibonsha's world encyclopædia.
- Sekai daihyakka jiten (世界大百科事典 第２版)
Available on Japanese CD/DVD-ROM workstation in the Reading Room.
- Nipponika (日本大百科全書 ニッポニカ） via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Nipponika purasu (ニッポニカ・プラス） via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Koji ruien (古事類苑) via Japan Knowledge Plus
- The Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Japan Knowledge Plus (June 24, 2009)
Enables the simultaneous search of multiple searchable resources such as encycloppedias, various dictionaries, other knowledge contens by a single query.
Included Dictionaries (selected):
* Nihon Kokugo Daijiten (日本国語大辞典)、
* Kokushi Daijiten (国史大辞典）
* Nihon Rekishi Chimei Taikei (日本歴史地名大系）
* Dejitaru Daijisen (デジタル大辞泉)
* Jitsū (字通）
* Randam House English-Japanese Dictionary
* Progressive Japanese-English dictionary
* Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (CAMBRIDGE英英辞典）
* Igaku Ei-Wa jiten (医学英和辞典）
* Jōhō chishiki imidas (情報・知識イミダス）
* Gendai yōgo no kiso chishiki (現代用語に基礎知識）
and many more.
- WhoPlus (Nichigai)
Biographical information (both historical and current) of more than 420,000 Japanese (some non-Japanese). Allows for cross-searching with WHO and Jinbutsu Jōhō Kontentsu.
- JK Who's Who via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Nihon jinmei daijiten (日本人名大辞典）via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Jinbutsu (人物） via Kikuzo II bijuaru Asahi Shinbun
- Gendai jinmeiroku (現代人名録） via Yomidasu Rekishikan
- Chimei yomikata jiten (地名 よみかた 辞典)
- Nihon chimei daijiten (日本地名大辭典)
- Zōho dai Nihon chimei jisho (增補 大日本地名辭書)
- Nihon Rekishi Chimei Taikei (日本歴史地名大系） via Japan Knowledge Plus
- Kadokawa Nihon chimei daijiten (角川日本地名大辞典)
- Zenkoku shi-chō-sonmei hensen sōran (全国市町村名変遷総覧)
- Nihon bunken chizu ; Nihon chimei sōran (日本分県地図 ; 日本地名総覧)
Government Documents & Statistics
- Government Web Server (各府省へのリンク）
A list/diagram of the current ministries of the Japanese government, along with links to their homepages.
- Kokkai Kaigiroku （国会会議録）
A database and search engine for the records of the National Diet.
- Kanpō (官報）
- Local Governments （地方自治情報センター）
A web page containing links to prefectural and municipal government homepages throughout Japan.
- Statistics Bureau and Statistics Center （総務省統計局）
Statistics compiled by government offices, including population information and the national census.