A Brief Guide to Naguib Mahfouz and Modern Arabic Prose
Selected resources in print (with links to WorldCat*) and on the Internet.
*WorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and around the world.
- Print Resources
- Internet Resources
- Suggested Further Reading
General Introduction to Modern Arabic Literature
- Allen, Roger. The Arabic Literary Heritage: The Development of its Genres and Criticism. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Allen, Roger. The Arabic Novel: A Historical and Critical Introduction. 2nd edition. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1995.
- Allen, Roger. An Introduction to Arabic Literature. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Badawi, M.M. A Short History of Modern Arabic Literature. Oxford: Clarendon, 1993.
- Beeston, A.F.L. and M. M. Badawi. Modern Arabic literature. The Cambridge history of Arabic literature. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Encyclopedia of Arabic Literature. Edited by Julie Scott Meisami and Paul Starkey. London ; New York: Routledge, 1998.
- Makar, Ragai N. Modern Arabic literature: a bibliography.Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, c1998.
Naguib Mahfouz: Literary Context & Literary Criticism
- Al Ghitani, Gamal. The Mahfouz Dialogs. New York: The American University of Cairo Press, 2007.
- Beard, Michael and Adnan Haydar. (eds.) Naguib Mahfouz: From Regional Fame to Global Recognition. Syracuse, N.Y: Syracuse University Press, 1993.
- El-Enany, Rasheed. Naguib Mahfouz: His Life and Times. Cairo, Egypt: The American University in Cairo Press, 2007.
- El-Enany, Rasheed. Naguib Mahfouz: The Pursuit of Meaning. London; New York: Routledge, 1993.
- Moosa, Matti. The Early Novels of Naguib Mahfouz. Gainesville, FL: University of Florida Press, 1994. --via NetLibrary(Covering works though 1959.)
- Salmawi, Muhammad, Andy Smart, and Fouda-Smart, Nadia. The Last Station: Naguib Mahfouz looking back. Cairo; New York: The American University in Cairo Press, 2007.
Naguib Mahfouz--In His Own Words: Articles, Interviews, & Lectures
- Naguib Mahfouz’s Nobel Lecture 1988 (NobelPrize.Org)
- Excerpts from Naguib Mahfouz at Sidi Gaber - Reflections of a Nobel Laureate, 1994-2001 (NobelPrize.Org)
- Interview with Naguib Mahfouz By Mohammad Salmawy, 1988 (NobelPrize.Org)
- "A Nobel for the Arab Nation" by Larry Luxner, 1989. (Excerpt from ARAMCO world magazine, March-April 1989 ; via Almashriq: The Levant)
Teaching Mahfouz & Modern Arabic Literature in the Classroom
- "The Arabic Novel: A Narratological Survey" by Dr. Marlé Hammond (2002) (Oxford University, UK)
- AWAIR: Arab World and Islamic Resources (Abiquiu, New Mexico)
AWAIR conducts one or two days free workshops for educators who wish to teach about the Arab World and Islam from elementary to the pre-college level.
See also: Shabbas, Audrey. (ed.) The Arab World Studies Notebook. Berkeley, CA: Arab World and Islamic Resources and School Services, 1998.
- "Cruelty of Memory" by Edward Said (2001) Al-Ahram weekly. (Online)13-19 December 2001.
In this article, Prof. Said argues that "the central achievement of Mahfouz's work is to have taken history not only seriously but also literally."
- "Naguib Mahfouz--The Son of Two Civilizations," by Anders Hallengren, October 16, 2003
- National Endowment for the Arts "The Big Read Egypt/US": Guides to Naguib Mahfouz's "The Thief and the Dogs" (Washington, DC ; New York)
- "Using Middle Eastern Literature and Allusions in Class,"by Martha K. Goodman (1992)
VCCA Journal. (Online) Volume 7, Number 1, Summer 1992, 14-25.
Biographies & Bibliographies
- Arab World Books: Naguib Mahfouz (1911-2006) Part of Egyptian & Arab Authors on the Web.
Arab World Books is a cultural club and Arabic bookstore.
- Dr. Fidel Fajardo Acosta's World Literature Website: Naguib Mahfouz (1911-)
A bibliography, personal anecdotes, criticism, links, etc.
- Today in literature: "Naguib Mahfouz -- Life Stories, Books, & Links." (Canada)
E-Journals & Web Sites on Modern Arabic Literature
- Al-Ahram "Books Supplement". Al-Ahram weekly. (Online) -- Cairo, Egypt: Al-Ahram, 1998-
- Al-Bab.Com: "Arabic literature: an introduction." (London, UK)
- Al Jadid magazine: a review & record of Arab culture and arts. (Online)-- Los Angeles, CA: Al Jadid, 1994-
- Banipal : magazine of modern Arab literature. (Online) -- London, UK: Banipal, 1998-
- Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center on Palestinian Literature. (Ramallah, Palestine)
- RAWI: Radius of Arab American Writers Inc. (New York)
Suggested Further Reading
Modern Arabic Novels -- Classics
- ʻĀ shū r, Raḍwá. Granada: A Novel. Trans. by William Granara. Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press, 2003.
- Habiby, Emile (Ḥabī bī, Imī l). The Secret Life of Saeed: The Pessoptimist. Trans. by Salma Khadra Jayyusi and Trevor Le Gassick. Brooklyn, NY: Interlink Books, 2002.
- Ibrahim, Sonallah (Ibrā hī m, Ṣunʻ Allā h). The Committee: a Novel. Trans. by Mary St. Germain and Charlene Constable. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2001.
- Jabrā, Jabrā Ibrā hī m. In Search of Walid Masoud: A Novel. Trans. by Roger Allen, and Adnan Haydar. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2000.
- Kanafā nī, Ghassā n. Men in the Sun & Other Palestinian Stories. Trans. by Hilary Kilpatrick. Boulder, Colo: Lynne Rienner, 1999.
- Munī f, ʻAbd al-Raḥmā n. Cities of Salt. Trans. by Peter Theroux. New York: Vintage Books, 1989, c1987.
- Ṣā liḥ, al-Ṭayyib. Season of Migration to the North. New York: M. Kesend Pub., c1989.
- Shaykh, Ḥanā n. The Story of Zahra. New York: Anchor Books, 1994.
Modern Arabic Novels -- Contemporary
- Al Aswany, Alaa (Aswā nī, ʻAlā ʼ). The Yacoubian Building. Trans. by Humphrey Davies. New York: Harper Perennial, 2006.
- Ez-Eldin, Mansoura (ʻIzz al-Dī n, Manṣūrah). Maryam's Maze. Trans. by Paul Starkey. Cairo; New York: American University in Cairo Press, 2007.
- Mamdū ḥ, ʻĀ liyah and Marilyn Booth. The Loved Ones. New York: The Feminist Press at the City University of New York, c2007.
- Mosteghanemi, Ahlem. Chaos of the Senses. Trans. by Baria Ahmar Sreih. Cairo; New York: American University in Cairo Press, 2004.
- Soueif, Ahdaf. In the Eye of the Sun. New York: Pantheon Books, 1993, c1992.
- Tamer, Zakaria. Hedgehog. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2009.
Arabic Short Stories
- Assassination of Light: Modern Saudi Short Stories. Edited and trans. by Abū Bakr Aḥmad Bā qā dir and Ava Molnar Heinrichsdorff. Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press, 1990.
- Johnson-Davies, Denys. Egyptian Short Stories. London: Heinemann Educational; Washington, D.C.: Three Continents, 1978.
- Hikayat: Short Stories by Lebanese Women. Edited by Roseanne Saad Khalaf. London: Telegram, 2006.
- Modern Syrian Short Stories. Trans. by Michel G. Azrak; revised by M. J. L. Young. Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press, 1988.
- Oranges in the Sun: Short Stories from the Arabian Gulf. Edited by Deborah S. Akers and Abū Bakr Aḥmad Bā qā dir. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, c2008.
- Qissat: Short Stories by Palestinian Women. Edited by Jo Glanville. London; San Francisco, Calif.: Telegram, 2006.
- Reader of Modern Arabic Short Stories. Edited by Ṣabrī Ḥā fiẓ and Catherine Cobham. London: Saqi Books, 1988.
- Shaheen, Mohammad (Shā hī n, Muḥammad). The Modern Arabic Short Story: Shahrazad Returns. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2002.
- Under the Naked Sky: Short Stories from the Arab World. Edited & translated by Denys Johnson-Davies. Cairo; New York: American University in Cairo Press, c2000.
Kaoukab Chebaro, Middle East and Islamic Studies Librarian, Columbia University Libraries