Sociology: Information Resources
Find Books & Manuscripts
- CLIO: Columbia Libraries Online Catalog
CLIO is the online catalog for the Columbia and Barnard libraries. It includes over 4 million records for books, journal or newspaper titles (not articles), online resources, government documents, microforms, sound or video recordings, archival collections, etc.
- Digital Dissertations
Access to almost all American dissertations accepted at an accredited institution since 1861. Abstracts are included for doctoral dissertation records from July 1980 to the present In addition, the full text of dissertations published since 1997 (and some from earlier dates) is available.
- Educat: Teachers College Catalog
The online catalog for includes for books on Education.
- Social Theory
Offers an extensive selection of documents that explore the complexities and interpret the nature of social behavior and organization. It features works by such major theorists as Jean Baudrillard, Simone de Beauvoir, Ulrich Beck, Howard Becker, Nancy Chodorow, Émile Durkheim, Michel Foucault, Erving Goffman, Robert Merton, and Talcott Parsons
An online catalog of the collections of 24,000 member libraries of the OCLC consortium, comprising more than 36 million records for books, serials, manuscript collections, audiovisual materials, computer files, and other media.
- Borrow Direct
A borrowing service offered by the university libraries of Columbia, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale. It is designed to allow students, faculty and staff to request (and receive in four days) books directly from each other's collections.
- A dictionary of sociology Edited by John Scott and Gordon Marshall
Oxford University Press, 2009
- The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology General editor, Bryan S. Turner.
Cambridge University Press, 2006
- Encyclopedia of Associations/Associations Unlimited.
Descriptions of over 144,000 international and U.S. national, regional, state, and local associations in all fields.
- Encyclopedia of Evaluation.
Call Number: H62 .E583 2005.
- Encyclopedia of Social Measurement
Call Number: H62 .E564 2005g (Copies available in multiple locations)
- Encyclopedia of Social Theory Edited by George Ritzer
Sage Publications, c2005
- Encyclopedia of Sociology. 2nd ed. 4 vols.
Call Number: HM425 .E5 2000 (Copies available in multiple locations)
- Encyclopedia of Statistics in Behavioral Science Editors-in-chief, Brian S. Everitt, David C. Howell
- Glossary of Selected Social Science Computing Terms and Social Science Data Terms
- International Encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences
Provides signed articles in the disciplines of Sociology, Anthropology, Demography, Economics, Statistics, and more.
- Internet, Mail, and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method 3rd ed.
Call Number: HM538 .D55 2009
- American Sociological Association.
ASA Style Guide. 4th ed.
Call Number: HM73 .A54 2010
- A Guide to Writing Sociology Papers.
Call Number: HM585 .G78 2008 (Copies available in multiple locations) (6th ed.)
Call Number: HM585 .G78 2001 (Copies available in multiple locations) (5th ed.)
- Handbook of Clinical Sociology. 2nd ed.
Call Number: HM585 .H35 2001
- The Handbook of Economic Sociology
Princeton University Press, 2005.
- Handbook of Interview Research.
Call Number: H61.28 .H36 2002
- The SAGE handbook of online research methods
Call Number: ZA4228 .S34 2008g
- World of Sociology
Detroit : Gale Group, 2001.
Find Journal Articles
- Annual Review of Sociology
Provides full text of the articles in these volumes from 1975 to present.
- ATLA Religion Database
Provides journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion. Coverage begins in 1949
- Contemporary women's issues
Provides information about women in over 190 countries.
- Gender Studies Database
Women's studies, gender studies, feminist theory and criticism. Coverage 1972 to the present
- LGBT life
Provides indexing and abstracts of worldwide literature on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.
- Index to Current Urban Documents: Region I, New England, 2000-
Citations & full-text for municipal publications from New England.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences
Core social sciences and related materials from over 100 countries in more than 90 languages. Coverage 1951 to the present.
Provides page images of back issues of the core scholarly journals in Sociology from the earliest issues to within a few years of current publication. New issues of existing titles and new titles are added on an ongoing basis.
Includes references to more than 460,000 journal articles, books, government documents, statistical sources, grey literature, research reports, conference proceedings, and publications of international agencies. Coverage 1915 to the present.
- Population Index on the Web 1986-
Citations for publications on demography and related research fields.
- Social Sciences Citation Index Expanded
U.S. and international cited references, bibliographic information, some author abstracts, links to full-text. Coverage 1965 to the present.
- Social Sciences Full Text
Covers concepts, trends, opinions, theories, and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences. Indexing of periodicals provided from 1983-current, full text coverage starting 1995.
- Sociological Abstracts
Online version 1963- present; Print volumes cover 1953-2000 HM 1 .S67 - Lehman Stacks.
- Women and social movements, international : 1840 to present
Published and manuscript primary sources focusing on women's international activism since the mid-nineteenth century. Includes proceedings of women's international conferences, books, pamphlets, articles from newspapers and journals, correspondence, diary entries, memoirs, and numerous online publications of contemporary Non-Governmental Organizations.
Find Book Reviews
- Book review index plus
An index to book reviews from approximately 600 scholarly and popular English-language jounals with links to more than 630,000 full-text reviews
- International bibliography of book reviews : IBR
An interdisciplinary index to book reviews published in scholarly journals, primarily in the social sciences and the humanities, including many European journals.
Find Conference Papers & Proceedings
Provides access to indexes of published papers presented at conferences worldwide, based on items received by the British Library Supply Centre. Also available in French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Coverage begins in 1993.
Contains citations to proceedings of every congress, symposium, conference, exposition, workshop and meeting received at The British Library from October 1993 to the present.
Provides access to papers and proceedings from the American Sociological Associations Conferences.
- American Sociological Association
- International Sociological Association
- Society for Applied Sociology
- The SocioLog
A comprehensive guide to sociology online develped by Julian Dierkes.
- A Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace
A site developed by Michael C. Kearl at Trinity University in San Antonio, TX.
A Sociological Information System based at the University of Amsterdam, Holland
- WWW Virtual Library: Sociology