Aging & Gerontology Resources
This is a list of factual information sources, bibliographies, indexes, and internet resources related to the social work in gerontology; physical items are located in the Social Work Reference Collection, and other locations as noted. Check CLIO for additional books and journal titles.
- Gerontology and Geriatrics Libraries and Collections in the United States and Canada: A History, Description, and Directory.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 688 .A58 P67
- Literature and Gerontology: A Research Guide.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE PN 56 .O4 Y35
- Guide to Research in Gerontology: Strategies and Resources.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 Z57
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Age Words: A Glossary on Health and Aging.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1061 .A424
- Encyclopedia of Aging.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ1061 .E534
- Dictionary of Gerontology.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1061 .H338
- The Graying of America: An Encyclopedia of Aging, Health, Mind, and Behavior.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ1064.U5 K39 2001
- International Glossary of Social Gerontology.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1061 .I5348
- Older Americans Almanac.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1064 .U5 O416
- Encyclopedia of Aging and the Elderly.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1061 .R69
- Thesaurus of Aging Terminology.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1061 .T48
- Financial Resources for Older Americans: Funding and Support Services for Caregivers.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HV 1450 .B55
- Eldercare in the 90's: A Consumer's Guide for New York Relatives and Friends.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE RA 997.5 .N7 E43
- International Directory of Research and Researchers in Comparative Gerontology.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE RC 952.5 .I53
- Older Americans Information Directory: A Guide to Organizations, Agencies, Institutions, Programs, Publications, Services, and Other Resources Concerned with Older Americans in the United States.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HV 1450 .O43
- National Directory of Retirement Facilities.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1063 .N37
- Senior Citizen Services How to Find and Contact 15,000 Providers: Northeastern States.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HV 1468 .N67 S45
- U.S. Directory and Source Book on Aging, 1989-1990.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1064 .U5 U23
- Columbia Retirement Handbook.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1064 .U5 C534 1994
- Handbook of Aging and the Family.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1061 .H3353 1995
- Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1061 .H336 1996
- Handbook of the Psychology of Aging.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE BF 724.55 .A35 H36 1996
- Handbook on Ethnicity, Aging, and Mental Health.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS RC 451.5 .A2 H36 1995
- International Handbook on Services for the Elderly.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HV 1451 .I547 1994
- Gerontological Social Work: An Annotated Bibliography.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 G44 1993
- Long Term Care: An Annotated Bibliography.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 L55 1995
- Alcoholism and Aging: An Annotated Bibliography and Review.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7721 .O83 1995
- Psychology of Aging: An Annotated Bibliography.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7204 .A42 H392 1995
- Employment of the Elderly: An Annotated Bibliography.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 R5 1995
- Counseling Older Persons: An Annotated Bibliography.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 S38 1995
- Topics in Gerontology: Selected Annotated Bibliographies.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 T66 1993
- The Senior Movement: References and Resources.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE Z 7164 .O4 W38 1992
Statistics & Data
- Aging and Cohabitation.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 975.5 .G76 1995
- Growing Older in New York City in the 1990's: A Study of Changing Lifestyles, Quality of Life, and Quality of Care.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1064 .N55 1993g
- A Generation of Change: A Profile of America's Older Population.
SOCIAL WORK STACKS HQ 1064 .U5 S534 1993
- Statistical Handbook on Aging Americans.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1064 .U5 S695 1994
- Statistical Record of Older Americans.
SOCIAL WORK REFERENCE HQ 1064 .U5 S685 1996g
- ProQuest Direct
Full-text, citations, and abstracts from periodicals in many disciplines plus major U.S. newspapers.
Full-text articles from 42 journals published by the American Psychological Association.
Citations and abstracts for publications about psychology and related disciplines.
- Social Services Abstracts
Citations and abstracts for research in social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy & community development.
- Social Work Abstracts
Citations and abstracts for articles in social work and social welfare periodicals.
- American Assocation of Retired Persons (AARP)
AARP is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to addressing the needs and interests of persons 50 and older. Through information and education, advocacy and service, they seek to enhance the quality of life for all by promoting independence, dignity and purpose. The AARP site features sections on current legislation and elections as well as policy and research.
- AARP's AgeSource/AgeStats Worldwide
AgeSource Worldwide identifies several hundred information resources in some 25 countries which are significant either in size or in their unique coverage of particular aging-related issues. The resources include, among others, clearinghouses, libraries, databases, training materials, major reports, and Web metasites. AgeStats Worldwide provides access to statistical data that compare the situation of older adults across countries or regions around a variety of issues, such as demography, pensions, health and long-term care. The most recent data and projections as far ahead as 2050 are provided where available.
- The Resource Directory for Older People
A cooperative effort of the National Institute on Aging (NIA) and the Administration on Aging (AoA), the Resource Directory for Older People is intended to serve a wide audience including older people and their families, health and legal professionals, social service providers, librarians, researchers, and others with an interest in the field of aging. The directory contains names, addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers of organizations which provide information and other resources on matters relating to the needs of older persons.
- Gerontological Society of America
The Gerontological Society of America is a non-profit professional organization with more than 5000 members in the field of aging. GSA provides researchers, educators, practitioners, and policy makers with opportunities to understand, advance, integrate, and use basic and applied research on aging to improve the quality of life as one ages.
- Institute of Gerontology (Wayne State University)
The Wayne State University Institute of Gerontology (IOG) strives to contribute to the enhanced quality of life for older people in Metropolitan Detroit, the State of Michigan and across the nation. The mission of the IOG is to increase knowledge about aging, improve the practice of gerontology, and influence public policy. The site includes GeroWeb, an online resource for researchers, educators, practitioners, and others interested in aging and older individuals.
- Alzheimer Page
The Alzheimer Page is the Internet Gateway for the Alzheimer List, a free e-mail based support group for family caregivers and professionals. The site includes the Caregiver Resources page, an extensive list of links to resources specifically targeted towards caregivers as well as a searchable archive, which includes all posts to the Alzheimer List since 1994.
- American Health Assistance Foundation: Alzheimer's Disease Research
Alzheimer's Disease Research (ADR), a program of the American Health Assistance Foundation, was established in 1985 to fund research on and educate the public about Alzheimer's disease. The ADR website includes current information about treatment and risk factors, as well as useful Fact Sheets and links to research publications.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Age Data
Features census data about the older (55+) and elderly (65+) populations on the national, state, and county levels, including surveys, estimates, and future projections.