Decennial Census Information: 1890 Census
- Eleventh census of the United States, 1890. 25 vols.
Census of the United States (1890).
HA 201 1890 - Butler Stacks
Detailed description of 1890 depository print holdings.
The complete set of 1890 census volumes is available in a reprint set, at the call number above.
- Statistical atlas of the United States, based upon the results of the eleventh census.
328.734 v.3037 - Butler Stacks
317.3 Un55 F - Butler Stacks
- Abstract of the Eleventh Census: 1890.
060 Un332 1890 - Business
- Abstract of the Eleventh Census: 1890. 2nd ed.
060 Un332 1890a - Business
- Compendium of the Eleventh Census: 1890. 3 pts.
328.734 v.3011-3013 - Offsite
Microfilm F317.3 Un3 - Microform Reading Room (Butler)
Part One, Part Two, Part Three
- 1890 Census of Population and Housing
United States Census Bureau
Most volumes are available in both PDF and ZIP files, from the Census Bureau.
- Census Data for the Year 1890
From the United States Historical Census Data Browser, presented by the University of Virginia. Select variables and display data.
- Integrated Public Use Microdata Series (IPUMS)
The IPUMS consists of twenty-five high-precision samples of the American population drawn from thirteen federal censuses, 1850-1990. These samples collectively comprise our richest source of quantitative information on long-term changes in the American population.
1890 Census Questions
- Selected Historical Decennial Census Population and Housing Counts
- The Birth of Data Processing
Library of Congress
The Hollerith machine was devised for use in the 1890 census.
- The Fate of the 1890 Population Census
An article by Kellee Blake
Prologue: Quarterly of the National Archives and Records Administration, Spring 1996, vol. 28, no. 1
- How to Use NARA's Census Microfilm Catalogs
National Archives and Records Administration
- Population of the City of New York, 1890-1930.
Cities Census Committee, Inc., New York.
New York City, Cities Census Committee, Inc., c1932
HA 730 .N5 C5 1930 - Lehman Reference
HA 730 .N5 C5 1932a - Business Reference
Compiles population data from Federal censuses, 1790-1930, and from New York State censuses, 1855-1925. Contains six general sections: City of New York, Its Regions and the Nation; Population Changes in Census Tracts, 1905-1930; Breakup of Congestion, 1905-1930; Nativity and Color of the City's Population, 1890-1930; Religious Composition of the City, 1855-1930; Distribution by Age-Periods of the City's Population, 1855-1930.
- Dubester's U.S. Census Bibliography with SuDocs Class Numbers and Indexes.
Cook, Kevin L.
Englewood, Colo. : Libraries Unlimited, 1996.
R016.3173 C772 - Butler Reference
Z 7553.C3 C66 1996 - Lehman Reference
Covers the 1790-1940 censuses, with a complete list of all census publications. Particularly useful for identification of the multiplicity of items in censuses after 1870.
- High Tech in the '90s - The 1890 Census
An article originally published in Ancestry Magazine, about the introduction of the Hollerith system in the 1890 census.
- Measuring America: The Decennial Censuses from 1790 to 2000.
Washington : Dept. of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, 2002.
HA 37.U55 M376 2002 - Lehman
- Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790 to 1990.
Washington, DC : U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, 1996.
HA 214 .F67 1996g - Lehman Reference
- Punching and Crunching...a Shower of Stats
Another article about the development of the Hollerith tabulating machine, used in the 1890 census. From the Franklin Institute.
- Population Information in Nineteenth Century Census Volumes.
Phoenix, AZ : Oryx Press, 1983.
R317.3 Sch85 - Butler Reference
- Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920.
Baltimore : Genealogical Pub. Co., 1987.
R911 T39 - Butler Reference
HA 217 .T5 1987g - Lehman Reference
Provides maps for each state showing changes in county boundaries for each census.
- New Enumeration of the City of New York. (H. Rpt. 51-3992)
U.S. House. Select Committee on the Eleventh Census.
Washington: Government Printing Office, 1891.
328.734 2889 - Annex