Decennial Census Information: 1960 Census Detailed Holdings
The final reports of the 1960 Census were published in two series, one for Population and one for Housing, which were both supplemented by a series of Census Tract Reports. The reports in Lehman Library are essentially complete, including tract maps with blocks indicated. Numerous supplementary reports were also issued, including Evaluation and Research Program reports, Procedural Studies, and the Census Monograph Series. Columbia University Libraries has copies of most of these, located in various libraries as indicated below.
Volumes which contain tables specifically about New York City or State are highlighted.
- Volume I
Characteristics of the Population, PC(1). 58 pts. in 55 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A4, v.l/pt.A, pt.1-57 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This volume consists of separate reports for the U.S., each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Canal Zone. Each report contains four chapters: Number of Inhabitants, General Population Characteristics, General Social and Economic Characteristics, and Detailed Characteristics.
Each volume contains maps showing Counties, Places of 25,000 or more, SMSAs, Minor Civil Divisions, and Urbanized Areas.
- 34B - New York: General Population Characteristics, cop.2
- 34C - New York: General Social & Economic Characteristics, cop.2
- 34D - New York: Detailed Characteristics, cop.2
- Volume II
Subject Reports, PC(2)
HA 201 1960 .A4, v.2 - Lehman Non-Circulating
Each report in this volume concentrates on a particular subject. Detailed information and cross-relationships are generally provided on a national and regional level; in a few reports data for States or Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas (SMSAs) are also shown.
1A - Nativity & Parentage
1B - Persons of Spanish Surname
1C - Nonwhite Population by Race
1D - Puerto Ricans in the U.S.
1E - Mother Tongue (of the Foreign Born)
2A - State of Birth (missing)
2B - Mobility for States and State Economic Areas
2C - Mobility for Metropolitan Areas
2D - Lifetime and Recent Immigration
2E - Migration Between State Economic Areas
3A - Women by Number of Children Ever Born
3B - Childspacing
3C - Women by Children Under Five Years Old
4A - Families
4B - Persons by Family Characteristics
4C - Sources and Structure of Family Income
4D - Age at First Marriage
4E - Marital Status
5A - School Enrollment
5B - Educational Attainment
5C - Socioeconomic Status
6A - Employment Status and Work Experience
6B - Journey to Work
6C - Labor Reserve
7A - Occupational Characteristics
7B - Occupation by Earnings and Education
7C - Occupation by Industry
7D - Characteristics of Teachers
7E - Characteristics of Professional Workers
7F - Industrial Characteristics
8A - Inmates of Institutions
8B - Income of the Elderly Population
8C - Veterans
- Volume III
Selected Area Reports, PC(3). 5 pts. in 3 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A4, v.3 - Lehman Non-Circulating
1A - State Economic Areas
1B - Size of Place
1C - Americans Overseas
1D - Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas
1E - Type of Place
- Supplementary Reports, PC(S1)
HA 201 1960 .A4 Suppl., pt.1-53 - Lehman Non-Circulating
Reports presenting final data abstracted from, or, in a few cases, derived from various Final Reports.
- Volume I
States and Small Areas, HC(1). 55 pts. in 6 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.1/pt.1-55 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This series consists of 55 reports -- one for each State, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and a U.S. summary.
Each report contains a map of the State showing SMSAs, Counties, and places of 10,000 or more.
- Volume II
Metropolitan Housing, HC(2). 202 pts. in 7 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.2, pt.1-202 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This series consists of 202 reports -- one for each standard metropolitan statistical area (SMSA) with 100,000 inhabitants or more, one for each of the nine geographic divisions, and one for the U.S.
- Pt. 128: New York SMSA
- Pt. 128: New York SMSA
- Volume III
City Blocks, HC(3). 421 pts. in 23 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.3, pt.1-421 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This series consists of 421 reports -- one for each city having 50,000 inhabitants or more in the 1950 Census or in a subsequent special census conducted by the Bureau, and for each of about 200 smaller places which arranged for inclusion in the block statistics program. There is no summary or combined report for this series.
Each report includes a map showing all blocks. Have also: Pt. 273-276, cop.2.
- Volume IV
Components of Inventory Change, HC(4).
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.4, pt. 1A, 1B, 2 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This volume consists of two parts, the first dealing primarily with changes in the housing inventory from April 1950 to December 1959, and the second with changes occuring in the period January 1957 to December 1959.
- Volume V
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.5, pt.1,2 - Lehman Non-Circulating
- Volume VI
Rural Housing, Economic Subregions.
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.6 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This volume is confined to housing in rural areas. Data are presented for the U.S. and for each of 121 economic subregions, bound as a single report.
- Volume VII
Housing of Senior Citizens.
HA 201 1960 .A6, v.7 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This volume presents data for person 60 years old and over, households with one or more such persons, and housing units at which the occupants include at least one such person.
- New York State: p.220
- New York SMSA: p.222
- Special Reports for Local Housing Authorities, HC(S1). 139 pts. in 4 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A63, pts.1-139 - Lehman Non-Circulating
This series is a supplement to the 1960 Census of Housing, arranged at the request of the Public Housing Administration. Each report was made at the request of a local housing authority or other local government agency, which specified the area to be covered and paid the cost of the operations required. The series consists of individual reports for 139 areas, plus a summary report.
Note: New York City is not one of the areas covered in this series.
Censuses of Population and Housing (PHC)
- Census Tract Reports, PHC(1). 180 pts. in 14 vols.
HA 201 1960 .A5, v.1-180 - Lehman Non-Circulating
These reports present information on both population and housing subjects, at the tract level. There is one report for each of 180 tracted areas in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
The Block/Tract maps are bound with each report. Maps filed in filing cabinet:
- Geographic Identification Code Scheme, PHC(2).
HA 201 1960 .A531 - Lehman Non-Circulating
G 106 .Un3 - Offsite
- Census County Division Boundary Descriptions, PHC(3).
Evaluation and Research Program of the Censuses of Population and Housing: 1960 (ER60) 11 reports.
- 1: Background, Procedures, and Forms.
- 2: Record Check Studies of Population Coverage.
- 3: Accuracy of Data on Housing Characteristics.
- 4: Accuracy of Data on Population Characteristics As Measured by Reinterviews.
- 5: Accuracy of Data on Population Characteristics As Measured by CPS-Census Match.
- 6: The Employer Record Check.
- 7: Effects of Interviewers and Crew Leaders.
- 8: Record Check Study of Accuracy of Income Reporting.
- 9: Effects of Coders.
- 10: Accuracy of Data on Population Characteristics for Subgroups of the Total Population
- 11: Effects of Different Reinterview Techniques on Estimates of Simple Response Variance.
Procedural Studies of the 1960 Censuses
- Principal Data-Collection Forms and Procedures.
HA 201 .A5 1961 - Lehman
- Processing the Data.
HA 201 1960 .A5 .P94 - Lehman
- Enumeration Time and Cost Study.
317.3 Un8 1960d - Offsite
- Quality Control of Preparatory Operations, Microfilming, and Coding.
HA 37 .U52 1965a - Offsite
- Procedural History.
HA 201 1960 .A5 P94/2 - Lehman
- Quality Control of the Field Enumeration.
HA 201 1960 .B87 1967 - Lehman
- Processing the Data (Puerto Rico).
317.295 Un323 1960 - Offsite
Other Census Reports
- Alphabetical Index of Occupations and Industries. 1968 rev.
HA 201 1960 .A4 Oc 1 - Lehman
- Survey of Components of Change and Residential Finance. Principal Data-Collection Forms and Procedures.
HA 201 1960 .A4 Su1 - Lehman
- Our Growing Population.
- A Picture of the Population of Your State.
- U.S. Census of Housing: 1960. Availability of Published and Unpublished Data. Rev. Feb. 1966.
HA 201 1960 .A6 D 26/2 - Lehman
AA9105 Un368 - Offsite
- U.S. Censuses of Population and Housing, 1960: 1/1,000,1/10,000, Two National Samples of the Population of the United States; Description and Technical Documentation.
317.3 Un31948 - Offsite
Census Monograph Series
- Changing Characteristics of the Negro Population.
E 185.86 .P7 - Business
SM63 P945 - Burke
- Education of the American Population.
LA 205 .F6 - Offsite
- Income Distribution in the United States.
HC 110.I5 M615 - Business
HC 110.I5 M494 - Offsite
339.2 U58 - Social Work
- People of Rural America.
HB 2385 .H35 - Offsite
- People of the United States in the 20th Century.
HB 3505 .T32 - Offsite
HB 3505 .T19 1971 - Health Sciences
- Population Mobility within the United States.
317.3 Sh87 - Offsite
317.3 Sh87 - Butler