New York State Documents
You may also wish to consult the guide to NYS Statistics.
NYS Depository Documents
Lehman Library is a microfiche depository for New York State documents published 1983-1996. For New York State documents published prior to 1983, please check the Butler Library card catalogs and CLIO. For documents published after 1996, please check the catalog of the New York State Library.
New York State documents microfiche are filed on the 200 level of Lehman Library. Bibliographic access to the microfiche collection of New York State documents in Lehman Library is provided through the Checklist of Official Publications of the State of New York (Z 1223.5 .M57 N55). Call numbers for New York State microfiche can also be located through a search on the catalog of the New York State Library.
Major New York State Reference Titles
Various Columbia University libraries receive a small core reference collection of titles in paper. Most are cataloged and can be located through CLIO. Titles, call numbers, and library locations for major NYS reference titles are:
- Checklist of Official Publications of the State of New York, 1983-present
Call Number: Z 1223.5 .M57 N55
- Dictionary Catalog of Official Publications of the State of New York, 1973-1989
Call Number: Z 1223.5 .N57 D5
- The Directory of Public and Non-Public Schools and Administrators for The State of New York
Older print editions at Teachers College Library
- Employment Review, 1965-2004 (ceased publication)
Call Number: HD 5725.N7 N43a
Continues Labor Market Review 1948-1964) at HD 8053 .N7A318
- Legislative Digest. Weekly.
Albany, NY : Legislative Bill Drafting Commission, c1985-
KFN 5007 .L43 - Law Library
- New York Public Sector. Biennial.
Sacramento, Calif. : Public Sector Publications, c1994-2001.
Call Number: JA 1 .N49
A directory of official personnel in state, local, and federal governments within the state of New York.
- New York Red Book. Annual.
Albany, Williams Press, 1895-
Call Number: JK 3430 .N5
- New York Staff Directory. Irregular.
Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, Division of Congressional Quarterly Inc., 2006-2007.
Call Number: JA 1 .N491
- New York State Executive Budget.
Call Number: HJ 11 .N741 (1969-1995)
Call Number: HJ 11 .N741 1996-present)
Current Executive Budget
- New York State Enacted Budget:
Current Enacted Budget
Users' Guide to the Budget Documents
The Budget Process
This formal process is traditionally ignored, with the budget being passed late and without proper review.
- New York State Register:
Archive, 1979-last year
2003-present, PDF and searchable
Continues New York State Bulletin Call number: HG 5128.N7 N48 (1929-1979)
Rule Making in New York Manual
- New York State Statistical Yearbook, 1967-present
Call Number: HA 544 .A11
- Summary of Legislation, 1988-2007
Call Number: KFN 5014 .S86
- Vital Statistics of New York State, 1971-present
Call Number: HA 544 .D46a
Official New York State Internet Sites
- New York
The official Web site for the State of New York, with categories for information on Associations, Citizen's Access to State Government, Economic Development, the Governor, and Tourism.
- Office of the Governor
- Governor Eliot Spitzer Archive
Press releases, proclamations, and executive orders.
- Governor David A. Paterson Archive
Press releases, proclamations, executive orders, and archived First Lady's press releases.
- Budget Address: 2008
- State of the State Address: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Remarks to a Joint-Session of the New York State Legislature
Governor David A. Paterson, March 17, 2008
- Governor Eliot Spitzer Archive
- Archived Governors’ Websites, New York State Archives
- Legislative Bill and Veto Jackets, New York State Archives
This collection consists of files, or “jackets” dating from 1995-2010, which document the governor’s legislative decision-making process on bills that have been signed into law or vetoed by the executive. The jackets, which are compiled by the Counsel to the Governor on an annual basis, are comprised mainly of memoranda and correspondence to the governor from state agencies, legislators, legislative committees, commissions, legal associations, lobbyists, private firms, and citizens, expressing approval of or opposition to particular legislation.
- Archived Websites Documenting Other Former Elected Officials, New York State Archives
- New York State Telephone Directory
- New York State Government Locator Information Service
Links to information from all branches of NYS government, with an excellent Subject Index.
- New York State Constitution
- New York State Assembly: access to the Assembly Legislative Information System including:
- New York State Assembly Legislative Session Significant Legislation: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- New York State Bill Search by keyword or bill number
Only the current session's bills are online. For earlier bills and legislative histories, consult the Legislative Digest in the Law Library.
- New York State Laws
- Legislative Reports
- New York State Economic Report: 1999 & 2000, 2000 & 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
This report provides an in-depth analysis of the U.S. and State economies, with particular focus on the most recent income and employment trends for the State.
- New York State Revenue Report: 1999-2000 & 2000-2001, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
This report provides a detailed analysis of the Ways and Means Committee Staff forecast of revenues for the current and upcoming State fiscal year. It describes the relationship between revenues and the State and National economies.
- Statistical and Narrative Summary of the Executive Budget: FY 2000-2001, FY 2002-2003, FY 2003, FY 2004, FY 2005, FY 2006, FY 2007, FY 2008, FY 2009, FY 2010, FY 2011, FY 2012
This volume, also known as the "Yellow Book", is published each year shortly after the release of the Executive Budget. It provides an overview of the fiscal and policy initiatives recommended in the Executive Budget as well as a summary of the proposals for each agency, in accordance with Section 53 of the Legislative Law.
- Report of the Fiscal Committees on the Executive Budget: FY 2000-2001, FY 2001-2002, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
This publication, also known as the "Green Book", is jointly issued by the Senate Finance Committee and the Assembly Ways and Means Committee shortly after the enactment of the State Budget by the Legislature, in accordance with Section 22-b of the State Finance Law. It describes Legislative intent with respect to the Budget and the changes the Legislature has made to the Executive Budget.
- New York State Senate
- Open Legislation
Browse, search and share legislative information from the New York State Senate. You can search by keyword , last name of the bill's sponsor, committee name, or bill number preceded by an "s" for Senate or "a" for Assembly (e.g.: s100, a250). In addition, you can browse and search Floor Calendars, Active Lists, Committee Meetings (including attendance and voting records) and Session Transcripts.
- Open Data
Search the documents and administrative facts and figures of the Senate, from budget proposals, to expenditure reports to website analytics.
- Open Legislation
- New York State Agency Databases
Provides links to all the major databases at New York State agencies.
- Archived Websites of Defunct State Government Bodies, New York State Archives
- New York State Archives
- New York State Data Center
- New York State Library
- New York State Tax Forms
- New York State Unified Court System
- New York Vital Records Information
Sections on Adoption and Medical Information Registry, Application Forms, Genealogy, Getting Married in New York State, and Where to Get Copies.
- Office of the State Comptroller
U.S. Federal Agencies in New York State
New York State Politics & Elections
- Campaign Finance Data
Data for the 2000-present election cycles, with detailed data for top contributors, soft money donors, contributions by geography, industry, etc.; from opensecrets.org
- League of Women Voters of New York State
- New York Republican State Committee
- New York State Board of Elections
- New York State Legislative Task Force on Demographic Research and Reapportionment
Aids the Legislature by providing technical plans for meeting the requirements of legislative timetables for the reapportionment of Senate, Assembly and Congressional districts
- New York State Democratic Party
- New York State Polls
From the Quinnipiac College Polling Institute, Hamden, Connecticut
Public Interest & Research Groups
- Citizens Budget Commission
The Citizens Budget Commission is a nonpartisan, nonprofit civic organization whose mission is to achieve constructive change in the finances and services of New York City and New York State government.
- Citizens Campaign for the Environment (CCE)
- Empire State Future
- Fiscal Policy Institute
The Fiscal Policy Institute is a nonpartisan research and education organization that focuses on the tax, budget, and economic issues that affect the quality of life and well-being of New York State residents. Founded in 1991, FPI's work is intended to further the development and implementation of public policies that create a strong economy in which prosperity is broadly shared by all New Yorkers.
- Government Performance Project Report Card: New York State, Campbell Public Affairs Institute, Syracuse University: 2001, 2005, 2008
- Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government
- New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG)
- Public Policy Institute of New York State
The Public Policy Institute is a research and educational organization whose purpose is to formulate and promote public policies that will restore New York's economic competitiveness. The Institute accomplishes this mission by conducting timely, in-depth research addressing key state policy issues.
- Regional Plan Association
- Stateline.org: New York
Funded by the Pew Center for the States, this site provides news, information and data about NYS, focusing on policy and social issues.
- Empire State Report: Politics, Policy and the Business of Government. Monthly. 1992-1999.
Call Number: JK 3401 .E465
- Governing: the Magazine of States and Localities. Monthly.
Washington, DC : Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1987-
Call Number: JK 2403 .G68
- Spectrum: the Journal of State Government.
Lexington, KY : The Council of State Governments, c1992-2005.
Call Number: No Call Number
- State and Local Government Review. 3/yr.
Athens, Ga.: Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia, 1990-
Call Number: JK 2403 .S684
- State Politics & Policy Quarterly. 3/yr.
Champaign, IL : Illinois Legislative Studies Center at the University of Illinois at Springfield : University of Illinois Press, c2001-
Call Number: JK 2403 .S762