The application period for the Digital Centers Internship Program is now closed.
The Columbia University Libraries will award a series of internships to Columbia University graduate students to collaborate with librarians and technologists in supporting and promoting digital scholarship on the Columbia University campus. The internships will be rooted in the research support activities in the Humanities, Science, and Social Science digital centers. Students with a keen interest in digital scholarship will be recruited through a competitive process and will receive a stipend, as well as hands-on experience working with emerging digital practices within the digital centers.
- To advance an expanding number of projects and applications in digital scholarship and learning that will be useful to the wider academic community.
- To expose the next generation of faculty and researchers to rich and innovative digital tools, methods and environments that will be useful in their future work and will improve their competitiveness in the academic marketplace.
- To create an opportunity for graduate students to develop useful tools and practices to be shared with library staff and other users, and through this interaction drive the creation of innovative research- and teaching-support models within the library.
- To present alternative career paths for those holding advanced degrees, specifically as professional-level collaborators in digital scholarship based within and outside of academic departments.
Interns will be paid $20.00 an hour and can earn up to $7500 during the academic year.
Each participant will be assigned to a mentor who will be responsible for training and preparing the work plan for the project. This person will make sure that the intern is introduced to the unit staff and made to feel welcome. They will also coordinate communication with any academic unit where an intern might be working.
The participants will work in an environment where they feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.
The Columbia University Libraries will award six (6) Digital Centers Internships. A review board made up of staff from the digital centers will select finalists from among the applications received. Finalists will be invited to interview with staff in the chosen digital center or library. We will begin reviewing applications on August 15, 2013 but will continue to accept applications after that date. Interviews will be conducted in late August or early September depending upon availability.
Priority will go to applicants with basic technological skills and subject background appropriate to the digital center or library of choice. Applicants are encouraged to speak with staff in the digital center or library of choice in advance of applying. The Directors of the Digital Centers will work with department chairs and school administrators to identify and encourage qualified graduate students.
The program is open to all Columbia University graduate students.
Please fill out the application form below and send your CV and 2-3 references to email@example.com.
Complete applications include:
- Application form
- A brief CV (two pages maximum)
- The names of 2-3 references who are familiar with the applicant's work
Deadlines and Timelines
- Application review will begin on August 15, 2013 but applications will be accepted until September 9, 2013 or the positions are filled.
- Interns will be notified on or before: September 15, 2013.
- Internships will be conducted over the course of the academic year.