What is LibX?
- LibX Columbia University Edition is a Firefox and Chrome add-on which provides direct access to Columbia Library catalogs, electronic books, journals and databases.
- LibX can also be used to quickly search a highlighted text in CLIO and in selected databases and web resources.
- Use LibX when you find an article on the web that costs money to view. The LibX right-click menu option to “Reload via Columbia Libraries Off-Campus Proxy” lets you find out fast whether Columbia provides access to full text online.
- LibX also automatically links ISBNs, ISSNs, PubMed IDs and DOIs on web pages to Columbia's print and e-resources.
There are over one thousand academic and public libraries with LibX editions.
To install in Firefox: go to http://libx.org/releases/ff/libx2-latest.xpi?edition=71BA15D9
To install in Google Chrome go to: http://libx.org/releases/gc/install.php
* Confirm "Add to Chrome"
* Click on the LibX 2.0 icon in the upper right corner
* Type "Columbia University" in the search dialog
* Click on "Load this edition"
If you have a previous version of CUL LibX or another LibX, this installation will overwrite it.
LibX Search Options
- After installation is complete you will see Columbia's crown in the upper right corner of your browser.
- Click on the logo to open LibX search options.
- With LibX you can highlight text on a web page and right-click to search it in CLIO, Borrow Direct, WorldCat, Ebrary, Google Scholar and other selected databases and reference sources.
- To add or remove search options from the menu, click the Columbia logo, select Preferences and open the Context Menu tab.
- Click the crown and select Preferences to choose which resources to display in your context menu.
- LibX hyperlinks ISBNs, ISSNs, PubMedIDs and DOIs. Autolinked ISBNs and ISSNs will generate a CLIO search for the book or journal. Autolinked PubMedIDs and DOIs will search e-Link for full text.
- LibX can save you time and money.
- When you find an article on the Web that costs money to view use the LibX right-click option to "Reload page via Columbia Libraries Off-Campus Proxy" to find if you have free access through Columbia.
- When a LibX update is available, the browser should detect it and prompt you to install the update.
- To learn more about LibX add-on visit the LibX Project homepage.