A. Purpose and Program Description
The Libraries seek to support research in the humanities and social sciences relevant to Spain and Portugal in all departments and schools of the University but particularly the Institute of Latin American and Iberian Studies, the Camõ Center for the Study of the Portuguese-Speaking World, the Institute on Western Europe, and the departments of Spanish & Portuguese, Architecture, Art History and Archaeology, and History. It supports the needs of undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. students, and the teaching faculty, post-doctorates, visiting scholars, and research staff members.
Special areas of interest include language and literature (see Collection Development Policy Statement for Spanish Language and Literature), medieval, Golden Age, and modern Spanish history, and Portuguese colonial history.
B. General Selection Guidelines (see classed analysis for detailed statement)
Overall, the library's existing collection, its collecting goal, and its current acquisitions commitment for Iberian Studies, based upon available resources, are all at the research level.
C. Specific Delimitations
- Formats collected: We collect monographs and reference tools extensively, and annuals, CD-ROMs, other electronic tools, audio-visual materials, maps, periodicals, newspapers, scholarly series and textbooks selectively.
- Imprint Dates Collected: We collect current publications extensively and 20th century, 19th century, and earlier centuries selectively.
- Chronological Focus: We collect materials focusing on current, 20th, 19th and earlier century topics extensively.
- Languages Collected: We collect English, Spanish and Portuguese language materials extensively. Other European languages are collected selectively.
- Place of Publication: We collect materials published in Spain, Portugal, the U.S., U.K., Latin America, and the Caribbean extensively. Materials from other areas of the world are collected selectively.