Circulation & Reserves
Due to the current circumstances, the below policies and procedures are suspended until further notice. For up-to-date information on borrowing books, please refer to the Pick-Up Service page. Many Course Reserves titles are available electronically. Check CLIO for access. Scanning services are also available for small portions (a chapter or article) of library materials, including Course Reserves. A scan request button will appear in the CLIO records of all eligible items. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions on current services.
All materials can be borrowed by CUID holders, unless they are on Reference, on Reserves, Folio-sized, or part of Rare and Special Collections. Reserves materials—items specified as required reading for East Asian courses—are kept behind the circulation desk and are handled by the circulation staff.
- To find materials
All items on reserve are listed in CLIO, and can also be found through the Course Reserves search page.
- Requesting material
To request an item on reserve, note the call number and present it to a circulation staff member. Please be sure to include the complete number, including dates if noted.
- Conditions of use
- Before 3:00 p.m., items may be charged out for 2-hour periods. The items may be renewed at the circulation desk if no other patron requests them.
- After 3:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday, regular reserve items—as opposed to last copy—may be checked out of the Library overnight, and are due back 1 hour after opening the following day.
- After 3:00 p.m. Friday, regular reserve items may be charged out for weekend loan and are due back 1 hour after opening on Monday.
- Last-copy reserve items must be read in the Library at all times, and do not circulate overnight.
- All Reserves must be returned to the Starr East Asian Library circulation desk or the book drop outside Kent Hall.
- Checking out material
Please present your CUID when requesting materials.
- Please note that reserve fines are extremely high and are rigidly enforced. First hour fines are $2 and then accrue at the rate of $1 per hour.
- Overdue fines must be paid by check (made payable to Columbia University). You may pay by credit card at Butler Library.
- Note: During final exams and intersession, reserve regulations may vary. Any changes will be posted at the circulation desk.
- If you have any problems with reserve materials, please contact our Manager of Access Services, Ken Harlin, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at (212) 854-4318.