Student Officer Borrowing Privileges

Arch in Lobby of Butler Library

Each academic term, students may be appointed to part-time service in the University to assist in the instructional and research programs of their departments and schools. During these terms when an appointment is effective, the student is eligible for library privileges similar to those of an Officer. At other times, the student will have student library privileges.

The categories of Student Officer eligible for this privilege are Preceptor, Teaching Assistant, Reader, Assistant Curator, Graduate Research Assistant, and Department Research Assistant. Please see the Columbia University Faculty Handbook for definitions of these appointment categories.

Loan Periods

Door to Library Information Office

Semester Loan: Biology, Business, Burke (UTS), Butler, Chemistry, East Asian, Engineering, Geology, Geoscience, Journalism, Lehman/Social Work, Math, Milstein Collection in Butler Library, Music & Arts, Prentis, Teachers College, Physics, Psychology and the Ware collection in Avery

4-week Loan:  JTS and Law

3-week Loan: Health Sciences Library

Extended Leave

Students who will be away for an extended leave are asked to return library materials before departure.


With the exception of Barnard Reserve material, Interlibrary Loan/Borrow Direct, and the Health Sciences Library, Student Officers are not charged fines when the "Officer" privileges are active, but are asked to return or renew materials when they are due. Borrowing privileges are blocked for failure to return recalled books on time or if fines or fees exceed $99. Student Officers are responsible for fees associated with lost materials.

Spouses/Domestic Partners

Student Officers may register spouses/domestic partners for Reading Privileges in the Columbia Libraries. To register, the officer and spouse/domestic partner must go to the Library Information Office inside the front entrance of Butler Library. The Student Officer must present a valid Columbia University ID and provide documentation of marriage/domestic partnership. If the marriage/partnership is dissolved, please notify the Library Information Office. The Libraries will not accept another spouse or domestic partner registration until six months after notification of the dissolution of the relationship.

Please Note: The Officer ID card is issued by the Columbia University ID Center, located in room 204 Kent Hall. Student Officers will need a letter from their Departmental Administrator certifying their status before such a card will be issued.

Student Officers with active officer library privileges will be able to check out materials as an officer. Once the officer status expires, the officer library privilege also expires.