Borrow Direct Transition
Borrow Direct, the service that allows Columbia University faculty, students, and staff to borrow materials from 12 partner institutions, migrated to a new technology platform on Tuesday, December 13, 2022. The new platform allows us to improve service using the latest library technology. While the biggest changes will take place behind-the-scenes library users will benefit from a new Borrow Direct catalog that is easy-to-use and allows for more robust searching.
How can library users access the updated Borrow Direct?
- Look for the Pick-Up (Borrow Direct) hyperlinks in CLIO
- Access the discovery layer directly via this link
- Click on the Borrow Direct option in e-link, when logged-in as a Columbia user: Worldcat, Google Scholar, Citation Finder & others
What changes will library users notice?
A new and improved search interface, which will make it easier for users to discover and request materials in the collective collections of our Ivy Plus Libraries Confederation partner institutions
What is staying the same?
- The libraries who participate in Borrow Direct
- The library users who can request materials through Borrow Direct
- The loan lengths and library policies for materials received through Borrow Direct
- The materials available through Borrow Direct
- The speed and convenience of the Borrow Direct service
What do library users need to do?
- Continue using CLIO to discover & request materials, including links to services such as Pick-Up and Borrow Direct
- Remember that in CLIO all Offsite Shared Collections are can be requested for scanning or delivery in 1-2 business days
- Include a pertinent note if necessary in the Volume(s) Needed field
- Please note that due to system limitations, only 1 volume of a multi-volume set can be delivered per request; if you need multiple volumes, or the entire set, submit subsequent requests detailing the volume numbers
- Continue referring to Columbia Libraries My Borrowing Account for any due dates for items you’ve borrowed
The Borrow Direct platform is changing, but our dedication to our users is not! Columbia Libraries staff are working hard to ensure this change is as smooth as possible for you, and we appreciate your patience as we make this transition.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to help!