Ongoing issues with installing LibX, as of 2020.
LibX is no longer available for Firefox. Chrome Store removed the LibX extension due to apparent violations of their policies. The LibX developers are unable to provide a date by which it will be restored. We will provide updates as they are available.
Installed LibX tool should continue to work but it is no longer available for download/installation.
What is LibX?
- LibX Columbia University Edition is a Firefox and Chrome add-on which provides direct access to Columbia Library catalogs, electronic books, journals and databases.
- LibX can also be used to quickly search a highlighted text in CLIO and in selected databases and web resources.
- Use LibX when you find an article on the web that costs money to view. The LibX right-click menu option to “Reload via Columbia Libraries Off-Campus Proxy” lets you find out fast whether Columbia provides access to full text online.
- LibX also automatically links ISBNs, ISSNs, PubMed IDs and DOIs on web pages to Columbia's print and e-resources.
There are over one thousand academic and public libraries with LibX editions.
To install in Google Chrome go to: http://libx.org/releases/gc/install.php
* Confirm "Add to Chrome"
* Click on the LibX 2.0 icon in the upper right corner
* Type "Columbia University Edition" in the search dialog
* Click on "Load this edition"
LibX Search Options
- After installation is complete you will see Columbia's crown in the upper right corner of your browser.
- Click on the logo to open LibX search options.
- With LibX you can highlight text on a web page and right-click to search it in CLIO, Borrow Direct, WorldCat, Ebrary, Google Scholar and other selected databases and reference sources.
- To add or remove search options from the menu, click the Columbia logo, select Preferences and open the Context Menu tab.
- Click the crown and select Preferences to choose which resources to display in your context menu.
- LibX hyperlinks ISBNs, ISSNs, PubMedIDs and DOIs. Autolinked ISBNs and ISSNs will generate a CLIO search for the book or journal. Autolinked PubMedIDs and DOIs will search e-Link for full text.
- LibX can save you time and money.
- When you find an article on the Web that costs money to view use the LibX right-click option to "Reload page via Columbia Libraries Off-Campus Proxy" to find if you have free access through Columbia.
- When a LibX update is available, the browser should detect it and prompt you to install the update.
- To learn more about LibX add-on visit the LibX Project homepage.