rus (Patron Notification)
These instructions are designed for Circulation Desk staff who use the rus program to notify patrons that ReCAP requests have arrived.
rus is a program designed in-house by LITO to notify CUL patrons that ReCAP requests are available for pick-up. It can be used to retrieve information about barcode's requesting UNI and delivery location. It does not function as a tracking system.
rus is case sensitive: upper and lower case letters must be entered accordingly.
Instructions for using rus
1. Log into rus
To open rus:
- Log into Cunix with UNI and password (Start->PuTTY->Cunix)
- Type rus at the $ prompt
- If log-in fails, follow these instructions.
- Enter the 2-letter delivery code of your location from the list.
- The main menu will appear
2. Select current location
- Enter the 2-letter delivery code of your location from the list (full list not displayed here)
- The main menu will appear
3. rus main menu
Main menu options:
- Option 1, for item check-in: Use this option for initial processing and patron notification. See Item Check-in instructions.
- Option 2, to display full bib/item and patron information:
Entering a barcode will display a printable information page
- Option 3, for tracking file and display status:
Seach terms include all data found in rus: barcode, UNI, location, or date (e.g. "2008.04.01" or "zl2114")
- Option H, to display all items in system for a location
- Option N, for instructions on creating a new user account for rus
4. Item check-in = Standard daily operations
- Select Option 1 from the Main Menu.
- On the next page, type or scan in the item barcode.
- rus is case sensitive
- If item is in an envelope/housing OR too fragile for circulation OR from a non-circulating collection, type F.
- The patron will be notified by e-mail that the item is for in-library use only.
- Select option M to send e-mail notification to the patron.
- Print out information screen according to local procedure (optional). It can be used as the Name/Date slip.
- rus sends e-mail to the address supplied by the patron on the request form.
rus does not validate e-mail addresses. If the e-mail addres is miskeyed, the patron will not receive notification.
Appendix: New rus users
If staff person types rus and sees output bash: rus: command not found, follow these steps:
1. Log in to Cunix using UNI/Password
2. At the $ prompt type ~culpub/bin/addpath
3. Log out and log back in. rus should now work.
- If it still fails, have them type groups at the $ prompt. Check to see if cul is listed. If it is not, send e-mail to email@example.com asking that the person be added to the cul group. Include their UNI in the message.
- If it still doesn't work, contact Zack Lane, ReCAP Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org and (212) 851-5621.