The Research Collections and Preservation facility (ReCAP) is Columbia University Libraries' off-site shelving facility. Columbia University operates ReCAP jointly with Princeton University and New York Public Library. CUL has accessioned more than 4.6 million books and archives.
This website is intended for staff reference. Create links to public websites and documentation using the Off-site Library Shelving Facility (ReCAP) site on LibraryWeb.
See also: ReCAP Facility Website
Non-Delivery Days for ReCAP
No ReCAP deliveries or pick-ups are scheduled for University Holidays. Severe weather may delay or cancel deliveries. Unscheduled interruptions will be announced via CUL Notes. For record of previous non-delivery days, please see Non-Delivery Day Log.
Relevant staff are notified via email@example.com.
- December 26-27, 2016 (Christmas)
- January 2-3, 2017 (New Year's)
- January 16, 2017 (MLK Day)
- May 17, 2017 (Commencement)
- May 30, 2017 (Memorial Day)
- July 4, 2017 (Independence Day)
- September 4, 2017 (Labor Day)
- November 23-24, 2017 (Thanksgiving)
- December 25-26, 2017 (Christmas)
Requests placed before 2:30 p.m. Monday-Friday will be filled the following business day; requests placed after 2:30 p.m. will be filled in two business days. More info here.
For more detailed information about changes to ReCAP-related systems and services please see ReCAP Alerts. Entries are organized chronologically.
Questions or comments about obtaining physical or EDD requests from ReCAP should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the ReCAP User Inquiry alias and may be used on all public websites and documentation.
Other questions, comments or suggestions about ReCAP should be directed to Zack Lane, ReCAP Coordinator, at email@example.com and (212) 851-5621.
Documentation of ReCAP-Related Sytems
Training: Web Links
- Mediated Requests : Allows staff to place patron requests outside of the OPAC
- rus instructions : Notify patron that ReCAP request is available at Circulation
- Processing ReCAP Deliveries : Instructions on handling daily deliveries from ReCAP
- Processing ReCAP Returns : Instructions on handling daily returns to ReCAP
- Barcode Placement : How and where to place off-site barcodes on items
Reference Documentation: Web Links
- Customer Code : Detailed information on customer code, CLIO location and barcode prefix
- Smart Barcoding : Definition and history of use at CUL
- EDD : Electronic Document Delivery: Instructions, Mechanisms and Troubleshooting
- LAS : Introduction to ReCAP Database (LAS)
- Preservation : Standards and projects related to maintenance of ReCAP collections
- ReCAP-related Reports : Reconciliation, BILO, NRTN, Accession, Mis-shelved On Campus, etc.
- Request Mechanisms : Detailed information on Mediated, Non-CLIO, Restricted Access requests and Permanent Withdrawals
- The Offsite Request Link (.pptx) : How it works and when it appears, July 2013
- New Acquisitions Direct to ReCAP (.pptx) : How new acquisitions are routed directly to ReCAP, July 2013
- ReCAP Request Mechanisms (.pptx) Describes different mechanisms used to request from ReCAP, July 2013
- Outline of ReCAP Accession (.pptx) Simplified model of the process of accession at ReCAP, July 2013
- Access Permissions (.pptx) How patron and staff request are authenticated, July 2013
- Failed Requests : How and why off-site request fail; methods of resolution, Jan. 2009
- Status Management : Model of how CUL ensures availabily ReCAP collections, Sept. 2012
- Item Status at ReCAP : Definition of and changes to item status in the LAS database, Oct. 2012
Transfers, Statistics, & Quotas
- ReCAP Data Center : ReCAP data and statistics includes both raw data and analysis for main categories of service and special projects. Main categories include: accessions, retrieval, delivery and circulation.
- Transfers to ReCAP: Upcoming schedule (subject to change), transfer history and information about transfer/courier services between CUL and ReCAP.
- Department Libraries: Projected accession Quotas for current and past fiscal years. For detailed information on history of ReCAP transfers and special projects see Department Projects section below.
- ReCAP Facility: Customer Code Table, Customer Activity: Columbia University and Columbia Law, Total Accessions and Shelf Space Analysis
Presentations to CUL Staff
Presentations are made before CUL standing committees or departmental staff.
The following are MS PowerPoint files: download PowerPoint Viewer if you do not have MS PowerPoint installed:
- Butler H&H : Request Data/Access Issues, 1/21/10
- Technical Services Librarians : ReCAP Summary, 4/29/10
- Collection Steering : CUL's Increasing Retrieval Rate, 6/9/10
- CCMSCC: Review of Current Projects, 12/13/10
- Management Committee : ReCAP Data Summary, 4/5/11
- Access Services Coordinating Committee : ReCAP Data Summary, 8/23/11
- CCLIP Brown Bag : Updates and Data Analysis, 1/24/12
- Access Services Coordinating Committee : ReCAP Data Summary, 7/31/11