Appointments to view collections may be made via the Avery D&A alias, firstname.lastname@example.org. Deliveries are made to a secure drop-off point. Avery D&A staff contacts the ReCAP courier by telephone when material has been staged for return.
At the inception of ReCAP in 2002, staff was asked to project an estimate annual quota for Avery Drawings & Archives. A rough figure of 500-600 boxes was suggested. The first accession from D&A came in October 2006 when the Emery Roth & Sons collection was sent directly, unprocessed from where it was stored. It was initially suggested that ReCAP would store the Libraries' most valuable collections. Staff has opted to maintain most high-value collections on campus.
A major renovation in 2003 made the campus conditions more suitable for collection storage. Currently on-campus storage space is near capacity. It is important to maintain in-house swing space for incoming donations.
Since 2006, the bulk of transferred collections have been both processed and previously shelved on-campus. The key criteria for selection are condition and usage. Condition implies both that the material will benefit from the superb environmental conditions at ReCAP and that the collections can withstand the rigors of transit to and from the facility. D&A collections sent to ReCAP are expected to include low-use material. Only fully processed collections will be candidates for transfer.
Collection growth is expected to consist of mainly post-WWII materials. It is expected that these collections will contained proportionally more architectural drawings than pre-WWII collections. D&A core staff are able to process approximately 50 boxes per month. Annual new accessions may be expected to be 500-600 boxes.
Collections sent to ReCAP are housed primarily in five types of enclosure. A guide to barcode placement is linked on the main ReCAP website.
- Banker's box (record carton or Paige box) : standard acid free box
- Manuscript box (document box) : standard acid-free box for upright or flat material
- Print box : used for photographs and other material intended to lie flat
- Coroplast tubes : architectural drawings, come with standard dimensions [TK]
- CMI box : made to size of individual item
Off-site Collection List : Master list of all Avery D&A collections at ReCAP. Includes name of collection, total item count and itemized container types.
Return Procedures : Instructions for packing collections for return to ReCAP. All Avery D&A collections are returned via a secure drop-off point.
- Can the various collection counts of off-site D&A collections be reconciled?
- How should delivery arrive if only one or few items are requested? i.e. the metal cart is unnecessary
- Can staff calculate "book-equivalents" according to box size? (help better estimate ReCAP space use/demand)
- Which is ReCAP's biggest delivery day, Monday or Tuesday? (D&A staff can schedule patron visits around peak delivery) Answer: Tuesday.
- How are arch drawing boxes currently shelved at ReCAP? How many fit per shelf?