Business Library has transferred collections to ReCAP since 2002. Collections include circulating collecions of monographs, serials and microfilm; non-circulating collections of corporate annual reports. It has one CLIO locations assigned for off-site collections:
- off,bus : circulating general collections (circ)
- off,bssc : BS-barcode special collections (noncirc)
Business collections correspond to two customer codes:
- CU : allow delivery to all CUL and ReCAP partner libraries (off,bus)
- BS : allow delivery only to Business Library (off,bssc)
Business Library has progressed several phases of transfer. The initial phase included transfers of 10-prefix barcoded collections from Clancy-Cullen's temporary shelving facility in the Bronx and BS-prefix barcodes from Uris.
Phases of smart barcoding include: 2002 (CU5), 2004/2005 (CU6) and 2008/2009 (CU6). Collections have been transferred from several physical locations: Uris stacks, Uris basement, Prentis, Annex and new acquisitions from MPS via BSP.
Large shift of on-campus collections from the main stacks to the Lehman basement (leh,bdis) took place in 2012. MRP has been working to send all material to ReCAP. It is possible that leftover material may be shifted to Brewster in 2014. A reduced collection is maintained at Uris. All books are barcoded, however there may be many books in Voyager that can not be found on the shelf.
BS barcodes were used for collections of corporate reports and loose issues in boxes or envelopes deliverable only to Business.
On the annual (estimated) ReCAP quotas, Business has been allocated 15,000 volumes for collection growth off-set.
Space is an important issue at Business Library. Much space has been re-purposed in response to patron demand. Circulation has declined for serials, trending towards heavier use of databases and e-books. B-school not using monograph literature as heavily. Large shift in FY07 to make way for renovation. FY08 transferred nothing due to construction.
Plans for Business Library to move to Manhattanville; date not yet determined.
Selection for transfer according to current criteria:
- Monographs published more than 15 years ago
- Journals that are available in JSTOR
- Manual selection by Business biliographers
Staging area has been onsite. Books shelved in call number order for easy retrieval for patrons.
New CLIO Location off,bssc created on 3/5/13 to limit delivery options for special collections to Business Library only. Previously off,bus had been used for all collections. If a BS-barcoded item were requested to non-Business location, a failure would result. Follow-up work to resolve complex bound-withs still needs to be performed.
- MRP GAs handle smart barcodes
- Business GAs handle serial green sheets
- MRP and ReCAP Coordinator involved in resolving backlog
Corresponds to customer codes CU and CR. Deliverable to all libraries; circulating.
Corresponds to customer code BS. Deliverable only to Business; non-circulating.
- Annual Reports
Columbia Historical Corporate Annual Reports were transferred to ReCAP without CLIO records. Original donation by Marvyn Scudder. An Excel file is maintained by staff. Collection is assigned customer code BS. Approx. 8,731 volumes yet to be resolved (May 2010). Patrons may have items retrieved. SPS staff resolves cataloging according to SCARM-420.
- Backlog Clean-up
ReCAP Coordinator arranged internship project to assist remaining backlog shelved on Tier 1 of Butler stacks and behind Circulation Desk at Business Library.
- Business Library and ReCAP: Update and Statistics FY15 (.pptx)
Introduction to ReCAP facility, encoding and systems; Business Library and system-wide data on accessions, requests and rates.
- Business Circulation Data (.pptx) : Updated through FY13. Summary of circulation activity of Business collections and the Business happening location, including system-wide data. Primarily concerned with on campus collections
Business-owned collections that have been transfered to the ReCAP facility.
Total items requested from Business-owned collections at ReCAP.
Items physically delivered to the Business circulation desk. Includes items from all ReCAP collections, not only Business-owned.
Total number of EDD (electronic document delivery) requests for Business collections. A subset of total "Requests."
Request Rate = 1.36%
ReCAP-Related Projects at Business Library
Business Library Clean-up Project (July 2010 - ongoing)
- Primary goals
- Resolve all remaining leftover smart barcodes from previous phases of ReCAP transfer.
- Resolve all items with CLIO location bus,anx2.
- Resolve all items that were charged to a MATOB status patron [COMPLETED 7/2010].
- Secondary goals
Collect accurate statistics; improve bibliographic control of Business Library collections; transfer 2,000-3,000 books to ReCAP; collaborate with Business Library staff to solve bibliographic problems.
- Other goals
Assist with inventory of Business Reference in preparation for future transfers to ReCAP; track progress on "Business Library and ReCAP" website.
Smart barcoding at Business Library has progressed through several phases: 2002 (CU5), 2004/2005 (CU6) and 2008/2009 (CU6). All items published more than 15 years ago are candidates for transfer. Staff was assigned to match bibliographic information (call number and title) on the smart barcode to physical volumes. Titles not found on the shelf were marked with "O" or "Ø". Other notation includes "M" and "D". Items charged to the status patron (BUSMSBC001) are called MATOBs (MATOB = Missing At Time Of Barcoding).
- Business Library staff took subsequent ad hoc actions to resolve problematic titles. CUL's ReCAP Coordinator leads project to systematicly resolve all leftover smart barcodes and MATOBs at CUL.
One part-time student employee (10-15 hrs/week); professional and support staff input (2-3 hrs/week)
- Project Action Plan : Details on project goals and procedures
- Leftover Smart Barcodes : Instructions and flowchart for MATOB screening
- Resolving bux,anx2 : Instructions, flowchart and working file
- Multiple holdings problem resolution : Instructions and worksheet for resolving bibliographic records with two or more Music Library holdings
- Statistics : Includes volume of items transferred to ReCAP