"Smallest Witnesses...The Crisis in Darfur through Children's Eyes" Selected Readings on Darfur (+ Children & War)
With Columbia locations and call numbers.
A list of resources to accompany an exhibition at the School of International & Public Affairs, 4th Floor/Atrium, Columbia University, 420 West 118th Street, New York, NY 10027
Co-sponsored by Human Rights Watch and the Center for Human Rights Documentation of Columbia University Libraries.
- African Studies Internet Resources on Sudan. (inc. "Darfur Crisis") New York: Columbia University Libraries.
- Bjørkelo, Anders J. and G.E. Wickens, A bibliography of the Dār Fūr/Wadai Region. Bergen, Norway : Dept. of History, University of Bergen, 1981. 191 p.
Butler: Z 3665 .B57 1981
- Burr, J. Millard and Robert O. Collins, Africa’s Thirty Years War: Libya, Chad and the Sudan (1963-1993). Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1994. 300 p.
Lehman: DT 546.48 .B87 1999
- Daly, M.W. Darfur's sorrow: a history of destruction and genocide. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 368 p.
Lehman: DT 159.6 .D35 2007
- Deng, Francis Mading, War of visions : conflict of identities in the Sudan. Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution, 1995. 577 p.
Butler & Lehman: DT 157.5 .D45 1995
- De Waal, Alexander, Famine that kills: Darfur, Sudan. Rev. ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2005. 258 p.
Lehman: HC 835 .Z9 F335 2005
- Flint, Julie and Alex de Waal, Darfur : a short history of a long war. London : Zed, in association with International African Institute. 2005. 152 p.
Lehman: DT 157.67 .F38 2005
- Gorman, Robert F., Historical dictionary of refugee and disaster relief organizations. 2nd ed. Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press , 2000. 356 p.
Lehman: HV 640 .G66 1994
- Holt, P. M. and M.W. Daly, A history of the Sudan : from the coming of Islam to the present day. 5th ed. London ; New York : Longman, 2000. 222 p.
Butler: DT 156.4 .H64 1979
- Human Rights Watch: Darfur drawn : the conflict in Darfur through children’s eyes. (2005)
- Human Rights Watch: Sudan, Darfur destroyed : ethnic cleansing by government and militia forces in Western Sudan. New York : Human Rights Watch, . 75 p.
- Idris, Amir H., Conflict and politics of identity in Sudan. New York : Palgrave Macmillan, c2005. 143 p.
Lehman: JQ 3981 .A91 I37 2005
- International Criminal Court on Darfur, The Sudan. (The Hague, The Netherlands)
- Johnson, Douglas Hamilton, The root causes of Sudan’s civil wars. Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 2003. 234 p.
Lehman: DT 157.67 .J64 2003
- La Rue, G. Michael. Land and social stratification in Dar Fur, 1785-1875 : the Hakura system. Working papers (African Studies Center, Boston University) ; no. 96. Boston, MA: African Studies Center, Boston University, 1984. 22 leaves.
Lehman: DT1 .W67 no.96
- Lesch, Ann Mosely. The Sudan : contested national identities. Bloomington, Ind. : Indiana University Press, 1998. 299 p.
Lehman: DT 157.5 .L47 1998
- Lobban, Richard, Jr., Robert S. Kramer, and Carolyn Fluehr-Lobban, Historical dictionary of the Sudan. 3rd ed. Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2002. 396 p.
Lehman: DT 155.3 .V64 1992
- O’Fahey, R. S., State and society in Dar Fur. London : C. Hurst, 1980. 210 p.
Butler: JQ 3981.58 .A47 1980
- Prunier, Gerard, Darfur : the ambiguous genocide. Ithaca, NY : Cornell University Press, 2005. 212 p.
Butler & Lehman: DT 159.6 .D27 P78 2005
- Sudan peace process : challenges and future prospects. Edited by Korwa G. Adar, John G. Nyuot Yoh, and Eddy Maloka. Pretoria, South Africa : Africa Institute of South Africa, 2004. 297 p.
Lehman: JQ 3981 .A58 S83 2004g
- United Nations Mission in the Sudan (UNMIS) (New York and Khartoum)
- University of California: Understanding Sudan: A Teaching and Learning Resource (Berkeley, California)An extensive list of links and fact sheets for teacher and classroom use. "This portal will be developed over three years (2005-2008), and will portray the variety of Sudanese experiences, showcase not only empirical facts of the country's history, political economy, ecology, societies and cultures, but also its literatures in indigenous and colonial languages, arts and music, and scholarly work."
- United States. Comprehensive Peace in Sudan Act of 2004. (S. 2781) Washington, D.C.
- United States. Congress. Recent Hearings on Darfur. (via Columbia University Libraries)
The escalating crisis in Darfur: are there prospects for peace?: hearing before the Committee on Foreign Affairs, House of Representatives, 110th Congress, 1st Session, February 8, 2007
Darfur revisited: the international response: hearing before the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate, 109th Congress, 1st Session, September 28, 2005.
- United States. Department of State. Bureau of African Affairs on Sudan. Washington, D.C.
- War in Darfur and the search for peace. Edited by Alex de Waal. -- Cambridge, MA: Global Equity Initiative, Harvard University; London: Justice Africa, 2007.
Lehman: DT159.6 .D27 W37 2007g
Children & War
- Briggs, Jimmie, Innocents lost : when child soldiers go to war. New York : Basic Books, c2005. 188 p.
Butler: UB 418 .C45 B754 2005
- Children and youth on the front line : ethnography, armed conflict and displacement. Edited by Jo Boyden and Joanna de Berry. New York : Berghahn Books, 2004. 274 p.
Lehman: HQ 784 .W3 C535 2004
- Dawes, Andrew, Children, political violence and war : influences on emotional, social and moral development : a bibliography. 2nd ed. [Cape Town, South Africa] : Psychology Dept., University of Cape Town, 1994. 35 p.
Social Work: Z 7164.C5 D38 1994g
- Henderson, Patti, Annotated bibliography on childhood, with emphasis on Africa : outline, general findings, and research recommendations. Dakar, Senegal : CODESRIA, c2002. 72 p.
Lehman: HQ 792 .A35 H462 2002g
- Honwana, Alcinda, Child soldiers in Africa. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2005. 216 p.
Lehman: HQ 784 .W3 H66 2006
- Machel, Graça and Sebastian Salgado(photographer), The impact of war on children. London : C. Hurst, 2001. 176 p.
Lehman: HQ 784 .W3 M3 2001g
- Singer, P.W., Children at war. New York: Pantheon Books, c2005. 269 p.
Lehman: UB 416 .S56 2005
- UNICEF. 3551. [Nairobi, Kenya] : UNICEF, . 2 volumes. (Profiles of Sudanese child soldiers, the policies of the Sudanese Peoples’ Liberation Army, and rehabilitation efforts, with photographs.)
Lehman: HQ 784 .W3 U55 2001g