Certain visitors may access Butler Library. Visitors must check in for each visit at the Library Information Office in Butler Library during business hours with proof of vaccination and ID. Hours can be found here. Visitors may ONLY enter Butler Library during Library Information Office business hours, which differ from Butler Library hours.
Please note: All visitors (except children 5 years of age and under), including those who enter any campus facility for any period of time, must show proof of vaccination as per the University's Visitor Policy.
- Visitors must present proof of vaccination and government-issued ID upon arrival for each visit. At this time Columbia does not allow visitors with religious or health exemptions to enter.
- If a visitor exits Butler Library, they must re-enter through the Library Information Office during open hours, which differ from Butler Library building hours. Hours can be found here.
- Visitors must exit Butler Library by 11 p.m.
- At this time, visits are limited to Butler Library only.
- Eating is not currently allowed in library spaces. Drinks are allowed in spill-proof containers only.
Visitor affiliation types currently permitted to enter Butler Library:
- Columbia University Retirees
- Columbia University Alumni (Columbia, Teacher's College, Barnard, Union Theological Seminary)
- Spouses, Domestic Partners, and Dependents of Columbia University Officers*
- Spouses and Domestic Partners of current Columbia University students*
- Consortial Partners (SHARES, MaRLI, Borrow Direct Plus, 2CUL, NYU)
- Jewish Theological Seminary students, faculty, and staff
- Special agreements as approved by the Libraries
*To arrange access for spouses and domestic partners, please contact the Library Information Office before visiting.
If you have questions about your status as a visitor, please contact the Library Information Office before visiting.