Income Tax Forms and Resources
The Internal Revenue Service has discontinued its program for the distribution of tax forms to academic libraries, so printed forms are no longer available in Lehman Library.
Please follow the links below to download copies of income tax forms for your use.
Assistance for Foreign Students
Foreign students attending Columbia may wish to consult with the International Students and Scholars Office about their taxation responsibilities. The ISSO offers workshops on international taxation, presented by Certified Public Accountants.
Students and parents may be eligible for tax credits with the Hope Scholarship Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit, or student loan interest deductions. Information about the tax credit programs is available from the IRS Tax Information for Students website.
- Information specifically about the Hope Scholarship Credit is available at its website, TCRS for Students. Taxpayers use IRS Form 8863 to claim Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits. Columbia University will send Form 1098-T to the IRS, with copies to qualifying students and their families.
- Those qualifying for student loan interest deductions will receive IRS Form 1098-E from AFSA Data Corp., the lender for Columbia University loans. Taxpayers then use IRS Form 8863 to report those deductions.
Tax forms and instructions are also available at post offices, via phone, fax, and can be downloaded from the Web, from the sites listed below.
Note: In order to print tax forms from the Web, you must have a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer installed on your computer. You can download a free copy of the reader from the Adobe Web Site.
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Forms & Instructions
- Via the IRS Web site
- Via USA.gov
- Telephone for free copies of forms: Call 1-800-829-FORM (7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
- Forms via Fax: Call 703-487-4160. From the voice unit of your fax machine, follow the voice prompts.
- IRS e-file Options for Individuals: file via computer!
- TeleTax: Information on 150 tax topics, by phone, 24 hours a day: Call 1-800-829-4477
- Tax Answers and Advice, from the IRS: Call 1-800-829-1040
- Forms & Instructions
- TurboTax Fredom Edition
Intuit is donating Web-based federal and state tax preparation and e-file services to lower income families and individuals with annual incomes of $31,000 or less, to active duty military with an income of $58,000 or less, and to anyone who qualifies for Earned Income Credit (EIC). This is offered through Intuit's TurboTax product, a Web-based personal tax preparation solution that enables tax filers to securely and quickly prepare and electronically file their tax returns via the Internet. Easy to use and requiring no tax knowledge or expertise, TurboTax asks the user for relevant information using a simple question and answer method and automatically prepares and files the tax return. Eligibility will be determined by actual tax information entered in TurboTax.
- U.S. Tax Code Online
Title 26 of the U.S. Code (26 USC), with regulations and official guidance, from the IRS.
- TRAC... IRS Web Site
This Web Site has been established by the Transactional Records Access Clearing house (TRAC ...) to provide the public with detailed comparative information about how the criminal provisions of the federal tax law are enforced by the IRS and the United States Justice Department in different sections of the country. TRAC... is a non-partisan, non-profit, tax exempt data research organization associated with Syracuse University.
New York State/New York City
- New York City Dept. of Finance Business & Excise Tax Forms
Note: Personal Income Tax, New York City Sales and Use Tax are administered by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
- New York State Tax Forms & Instructions
- Via the NYS Tax Web site
- NYS Tax Information and Answers
Call 1-800-225-5829, 8:30 a.m. to 4:25 p.m., Monday through Friday
- To Order Forms
Call 1-800-462-8100, 8:30 a.m. to 4:25 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Fax-on-Demand Forms Ordering System
Call 1-800-748-3676, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Inclusion in the following list does not imply endorsement by Columbia University Libraries.
Your one-stop source for tax information, forms and much more; forms (Federal and state), news, links, information.
- Ernst & Young LLP Tax Services
- H&R Block
- Tax and Accounting Sites Directory
TaxSites is an all-purpose site with links to information and forms for federal, state, and local taxes.
- Tax Resources
From the Internet Public Library
- Tax History Project
Established by Tax Analysts in 1995 to provide scholars, policymakers, students, the media, and citizens with information about the history of American taxation.
- Thomson Reuters RIA
Resources for Tax and Accounting Research
- TurboTax for the Web
A Web-based interactive tax-preparation service that lets you quickly prepare and file (electronic filing is FREE) your U.S. Federal and State tax returns right on the Web, from Intuit.
- WorldWideWeb Tax
The aim of this site is to be "the first comprehensive U.S. tax directory on the web." To this end, it contains IRS forms, IRS instructions, IRS publications, IRS tables, IRS rate schedules, IRS charts, IRS worksheets, and more.