Indian Ocean Islands Region
- Agence universitaire de la Francophonie: Bureau Océan Indien (France)
A ce site, on peut lire les actualités sur l'éducation dans la région de l'Océan Indien et suivre les liens aux sites des universités et des autres institutions des pays de la région.
- Afrikanistische Arbeitspapiere: Swahili forum. (Online). -- Mainz, Germany: Universität Johannes Gutenburg, 1994-.
- Brabys.Com (South Africa)
A searchable database for companies and industries in South Africa, parts of southern Africa, and the Indian Ocean islands.
- Commission de l'Océan Indien = Indian Ocean Commission (Port Louis, Mauritius)
- << La COI (créé en 1984) est une organisation originale qui regroupe quatre Etats ACP (Comores, Madagascar, Maurice, Seychelles) et une région ultrapériphérique européenne (La Réunion). >>
- COMESA--Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (Lusaka, Zambia)
This site includes links to country profiles, information on banking, online trade directories for some countries, and many other links with an emphasis on business and economic information. "COMESA exists 'as an organisation of free independent sovereign states which have agreed to co-operate in developing their natural and human resources for the good of all their people'. With its 19 member states and population of 300 million it forms a major integrated trading block."
- CORDIO--Coastal Oceans Research and Development – Indian Ocean (Mombasa, Kenya)
"...initiated in 1999 as a response to the El-Niño related mass bleaching and mortality of corals in the Indian Ocean in 1998. It is a non-profit research organization."
--See especially: Outputs and Results (Publications)
- Île en île -- Océan Indien (Thomas C. Spear, Associate Professor of French, Lehman College, The City University of New York; via Université de Montréal)
- Indian Ocean World Centre, McGill University (Montréal, Québec, Canada)
- "Labour, Working Animals, & Environment in the Indian Ocean World," May 4-5, 2017
- "Currencies of Commerce in Greater Indian Ocean World," 22-24 April 2015
- "Histories of Medicine in the Indian Ocean World," 26-27 April 2013: programme and abstracts
- 11th Madagascar Workshop 2016, 27-30 mai 2016, Avignon, France
--Includes final program, bilingual--French and English
- Malango Océan-indien: le guide annuaire du tourisme et de l'information des îles de l'Océan Indien (France) Temporarily Off-Line
- Mayotte -- Collectivité Départementale Française
- Nairobi Convention (UNEP Regional Seas Programme, Nairobi, Kenya)
"[First signed in 1985, entered into force in 1996]...a partnership between governments, civil society and the private sector, working towards a prosperous Western Indian Ocean Region with healthy rivers, coasts and oceans."
--See especially: Publications
- National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution: "Sailors and Daughters--Early Photography and the Indian Ocean" (Washington, DC)
An online exhibition (2016-2017)
- ODINAFRICA: Ocean Data and Information Network for Africa (International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization--UNESCO, Paris, France)
This website outlines various programs of the ODINAFRICA--a project involving about 20 African countries. The site includes current and recent news, conference information, and other data about Africa's oceanic resources.
- The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture / The New York Public Library:
The African Diaspora in the Indian Ocean World (2011) (Dr. Sylvianne Diouf et al., New York)
A multi-media web site, with bibliography, essays, images, web links, and videos. "Over the course of nearly 20 centuries, millions of East Africans crossed the Indian Ocean and its several seas and adjoining bodies of water in their journey to distant lands, from Arabia and Iraq to India and Sri Lanka."
- United Nations Environment Programme: Regional State of the Coast Report: Western Indian Ocean.
-- Nairobi, Kenya: UNEP, 2015. 585 pages in PDF format
"...the first comprehensive regional synthesis to provide insights into the enormous economic potential around the WIO, the consequential demand for marine ecosystem goods and services to match the increasing human population, the pace and scale of environmental changes taking place in the region and the opportunities to avoid serious degradation in one of the world’s unique and highly biodiverse oceans."
- World Wildlife Fund for Nature: Reviving the Western Indian Ocean Economy: Actions for a Sustainable Future. (January 2017) [Produced by The Boston Consulting Group for the WWF.] -- Gland, Switzerland: WWF, 2017. 64 pages in PDF format
--See also: Summary page
- 20th Annual Zanzibar International Film Festival -- Festival of the Dhow Countries: "Finding Joy = Kusikia Furaha" 8-16 July 2017 (Zanzibar, Tanzania)
General information on a wide variety of events and links to related websites. Plus, information from the 2016 festival and earlier. "ZIFF is a non-profit organisation based in Zanzibar [founded in 1997] which aims to promote film, music and arts from the Dhow Countries (African Continent, Gulf States, Iran, India, Pakistan and the islands of the Indian Ocean). The organisation is working throughout the year and seeks to include people from all sectors of society, with special programmes for women, children and people in rural areas."
Indian Ocean Islands by Country