- Africa 1886-1914 -and- Africa today (UniMaps.Com, Sydney, Australia)
- Africa From a Continent of States to a Continent of Cities (2012) -- Poster Map
(African Studies Centre, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands)
- AfricaMap WorldMap (Center for Geographic Analysis, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
A repository of geographic data on Africa, historical and contemporary, using WorldMap open software. The site offers the possibilities of free access to the software and collaborative projects.
- African Marine Atlas (ODINAFRICA Program, International Oceanographic Data and Information Commission, United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, Paris, France)
This web site --under construction--includes continental and coastline maps--with potential for regional, country, and local areas, various graphs, and numerical data. "The purpose of the African Marine Atlas is to identify, collect and organize available geospatial datasets into an atlas of environmental themes for Africa..."
- Afriterra, The Cartographic Free Library (Boston, Massachusetts)
The website features information about the collection in Boston and a small set of "Zoomifyer" online maps
. These digital images were produced in collaboration with the Digital Imaging Group at Harvard College Library, Cambridge, Massachusetts. "The AFRITERRA Foundation is a non-profit Cartographic Library and Archive assembling and preserving the original rare maps of Africa [c. 1480 A.D.--1900 A.D.] in a definitive place for education and interpretation."
- AGIS-Agricultural Geo-Referenced Information System: South Africa (Pretoria, South Africa)
This site offers free data and maps of South African agriculture, natural resources, climate, and land use--from the South African National Dept. of Agriculture, Provincial Depts. of Agriculture, and the Agricultural Research Council; information about various projects; and contact information for experts.
- American Museum of Natural History -- American Museum Congo Expedition 1909-1915: Map Gallery (New York)
"The maps in this gallery reflect the development of European knowledge of African geography from 1562 through 1940. They are reproduced with the permission of the New York Public Library and the British Library." See also: Home page
of the web site.
- Animated Atlas of African History, 1879-2002 (Prof. Nancy Jacobs et al., Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island)
"...The map displays information in several ways: color-coding of territories reflects political changes; symbols show conflicts as isolated events; bar graphs give demographic and economic data, and labels show country names. Users may click on the diamonds in the bottom center to reveal or hide these features. Timeline controls on the bottom-right advance or reverse the chronology. The polygonal keys expand when the mouse is placed over them and can be dragged to any location on the map to match colors with those on the key. For the period after 1960, the labels also contain bar graphs showing changes in population and per capita GDP over time."
- Atlas-Historique.Net: Recherche Géographique -- Afrique (Guillaume Balavoine, Paris, France)
<< Atlas-historique.net a pour ambition d'offrir aux internautes francophones des repères utiles à la compréhension de l'histoire du monde contemporain (de 1815 à nos jours) et de la situation géopolitique du monde actuel à travers un médium particulier, situé entre l'image et le texte ; la cartographie.>>
- Atlas of Natural and Agronomic Resources of Niger and Benin (L. Herrmann et al., "Special Research Programme 308: Adapted Farming in West Africa," University of Hohenheim, Germany)
At this site, one can read online or download the data. There are full text summaries, map images, and analytical reports. See also, the French version
- Bibliography for Research at Columbia on "Maps and Power in Modern African History" (Compiled by Dr. Joseph S. Caruso, African Studies Librarian, Columbia University)
- Boston University Libraries -- African Studies Map Collection (Boston, Massachusetts)
This web page provides access to detailed lists of holdings organized by publication date, location, and title.
- Casa das Áfricas: Mapas de África isto português (São Paulo, Brazil)
"A Casa das Áfricas
é um centro de pesquisa e de promoção de atividades culturais relacionadas ao continente africano."
- Comparative Bantu Online Dictionary: Bantu Maps and Mapmaker (Department of Linguistics and the Institute of Cognitive Studies, University of California, Berkeley)
"The CBOLD project was started in 1994 by Larry Hyman and John Lowe to produce in Berkeley a lexicographic database to support and enhance the theoretical, descriptive, and historical linguistic study of the languages in the important Bantu family." See also, the CBOLD Home Page
(via L'Institut des Sciences de l'Homme, Lyon, France).
- Cornell University Geoscience Information System: Cornell Morocco Project (Institute for the Study of Continents and the Department of Geological Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York)
"The Morocco project is a collaborative effort between Cornell University and institutions in Morocco and Spain to improve the understanding of the geodynamics of the western Mediterranean (Alboran) region and the intracontinental development of the Atlas system, using geophysical and geological methods. On these pages you will find information about the research conducted including abstracts and figures (and maps) from recent investigations." See also, the larger Cornell GIS web site
which includes several pages on research on the Middle East and North Africa, plus new and old maps
- Ethnologue Country Index -- Africa (From Ethnologue (Online), Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc., Dallas, Texas, 1999-)
For each country in Africa, there is a listing and description of languages, and a map of languages.
- FAO Country Profiles and Mapping Information System = Profils FAO de pays et système d'information cartographique
Select a country = Sélectionner un pays: This "retrieval tool" is the latest offering on the FAO website. It consists of summarized presentations for each country around the world, including maps and tables, with detailed information on the environment and the economy based on FAO research.
- The Atlas of the Gambia (Dr. Malanding Jaiteh, Center for International Earth Science Information Network, Columbia University)
Last update in September 2006: A website with basic geographical information, maps, some statistics, etc."The Atlas of the Gambia project is a public education project aimed at providing authoritative data and statistics on biophysical, social, cultural and economic dimensions of life in the Gambia."
- Historical Maps of Ghana, West Africa, and the African Continent Foundation course in African dance drumming. (C. Ladzekpo, University of California, Berkeley)
- Index to "Maps of Africa--A Guide to Uncataloged African Maps" at Indiana University (Bloomington, Indiana)
"The index provides access to records with basic publishing information and call numbers for locating the maps. While map images cannot be viewed at this site, the maps are available for use in the Geography Map Library, Student Building 015, on the Bloomington campus of Indiana University.
- Indiana University Libraries: Maps of Africa--A Guide to African Maps Held in Geography/Map Library (Bloomington, Indiana)
A searchable list of map holdings at Indiana University.
- Institut de recherche pour le développement: Laboratoire de Cartographie Appliquée (IRD - anciennement ORSTOM, Bondy, Ile-de-France)
- Un site en construction. Sur ce site, on peut apprendre les projets et les publications du laboratoire, y compris quelques extraits des réalisations récentes: cartes du Togo (sur les indices de dégradation des sols) et de l'Afrique central et de l'ouest (sur les précipitations moyennes annuelles); et plusieurs atlases: sur les migrations ouest-africaines et sur les pêcheries thonières tropicales, et un atlas de la ville Sokodé du Nord-Togo; de plus, en cours de réalisation: un atlas de l'Extrême-Nord Cameroun.
- Sphaera: Base de données de documents cartographiques
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre -- Maps Norwegian Refugee Council. (Geneva, Switzerland)
- IDMC Home Page (General)
***Search for individual country reports to find maps. As of April 1, 2014, the map library section is no longer available.
--See also: UN Maps below
- Library of Congress, American Memory: American Colonization Society Collection: Maps of Liberia, 1830-1870 (Washington, DC)
A searchable online collection of twenty maps of Liberia from various sources, including the American Colonization Society, 'organized in 1817 to resettle free black Americans in West Africa.'
- Malawi. National Statistical Office: Atlas of social statistics. (2002) (Zomba, Malawi)
- Mapping Malaria Risk in Africa: Maps of Malaria (South Africa)
Downloadable or printable maps on malaria distribution and other health data for Africa, with brief summaries. MARA/ARMA is an international effort in support of the compilation, dissemination, and advance of malaria research in Africa. For more information, see the entire site
- Maps of World.Com -- Africa (San Jose, California, USA) Commercial site
- Other Map Sellers on the Internet
- MISR: Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer: Search Gallery of Satellite Images (NASA--Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California)
- Le Monde Diplomatique -- Maps on Africa (Paris, France)
For maps of Africa (2000 to the present), see especially: "Regional Issues"
- Useful Africa (February 2011) by Philippe Rekacewicz ...[et al.]
A series of maps --in English-- of contemporary Africa, showing major resources highlighted; American, French, and Chinese interests; key humanitarian, military, and political issues; and selected countries in focus; plus "Utopian Africa."
- National Geographic. (Online): Views of Africa, September 2005
-- Washington, DC: The National Geographic Society, 2005.
A special issue focusing on African reports, in-depth reports, photographs, and Africa Map and Archive
of selected articles from previous issues of this popular magazine.
- National Geographic's MapMaker Interactive (The National Geographic Society, Washington, DC)
This colorful site offers an online abridged world atlas and interactive features.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency GEOnet Names Server United States Board on Geographic Names Official Repository. (Bethesda, Maryland)
--See also: World Gazeteer on Africa below.
- The Nile River Basin -- Maps (The Nile Basin Initiative, Entebbe, Uganda)
- Northwestern University Library: 16th--20th Century Maps of Africa Government and Geographic Information and Data Services (Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois)
"This site features digital copies of 113 antique maps of Africa and accompanying text dating from the mid 16th Century to the early 20th Century. All scanned maps are authentic and originally collected by the Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies at Northwestern University."
- Other Maps of the African Continent: Historical & Contemporary
- Les Cartes Détaillées du Sénégal (Au Sénégal, Dakar)
- 19th century African political entities before the "Scramble" (Adapted from R.O. Collins et al. (eds.) Historical Problems of Imperial Africa. Princeton, N.J.: Markus Wiener, 1994; Prof. Glenn Davis Stone, Department of Anthropology, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri)
- Map of Africa, 1999: with political boundaries and names of countries. (From Ethnologue (Online), Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc. Dallas, Texas)
- Political outline map of Africa (2000) PDF format (via Pennsylvania State University Libraries, University Park, Pennsylvania)
- Satellite Image of Africa on the Globe, c.1994 (University of Pennslyvania)
- Natural Vegetation in Africa (Prof. Chouki El Hamel, Dept. of History, Arizona State University)
- Perry Castañeda Library, University of Texas
- Senegal Online: Cartographie du Sénégal et d'Afrique (France)
Sur ce site, on peut voir plusieurs cartes choisies des villes et des régions du Sénégal. Voir aussi, la page d'accueil
du site entier.
- SEDAC--Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center -- Map Gallery (Center for International Earth Science Information Network, The Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York)
Selected maps of data on poverty, environment, and other development issues in Africa and the rest of the world. "SEDAC is one of the Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs) in the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. SEDAC focuses on human interactions in the environment."
- Stanford University Libraries: Maps of Africa Online Humanities Digital Information Service Luna Insight Service (Stanford, California)
"The maps --578 images-- from the Norwich Collection of Maps of Africa and Its Islands as well as the maps from the Antiquarian Maps Collection relating to Africa can be viewed online."
- The Sudan Tribune: Maps and Datas on The Sudan (USA)
Various maps of the Sudan in HTML and in printable versions; plus links to basic information about the Sudan and current news in English.
- UniMaps.Com on "Africa 1886-1914" and "Africa today" (See top of this page)
- United Nations Maps of Africa
- UN Cartographic Section:
Home Page = Page d'accueil
- Humanitarian Coordination Centre Maps: Liberia -and- Niger(UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, New York)
- UNDP Emergencies Unit for Ethiopia (via University of Pennsylvania): Maps of Ethiopia, 1994-1997
Maps showing 1996 administrative regions, 1996-97 refugee movements, 1994 population density, 1997 food aid needs, 1997 vulnerability, etc.; plus links to the main web site.
- UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger (2009) (Paris, France)
- UN Environment Program Atlases of Africa:
- UNEP-GRID: UN Environment Programme/Global Resource Information Database (Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA ; via Columbia University Libraries)
This site contains many maps and links to other databases in environmental and development studies.
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees: Map Library--Search by Country (UNHCR, Geneva, Switzerland)
- UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): ReliefWeb Map Centre
- United States Geological Survey (USGS, Earth Resources Observation Systems Center, Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
- FEWSNET Africa Data Portal
"Famine Early Warning Systems Network is an information system designed to identify problems in the food supply system that potentially lead to famine or other food-insecure conditions in sub-Saharan Africa, Afghanistan, Central America, and Haiti...Access to spatial data, satellite imagery, and other data and graphic products in support of the FEWS NET project."
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign: Maps of Africa to 1900 University Library, Library Digital Services and Development (Urbana, Illinois)
A searchable digital map collection based on the bibliography Maps of Africa to 1900: A Checklist of Maps in Atlases and Geographical Journals in the Collections of the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (By Thomas J. Bassett & Yvette Scheven, Urbana: Graduate School of Library and Information Science, 2000).
- Volcanoes of the World-By Country Volcano World. (Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon)
An inventory list of volcanoes and volcano study programs, with photographs and maps.
- WHKMLA Historical Atlas -- History of Africa (2005) (Zentrale für Unterrichtsmedien im Internet e.V., Merzhausen, Germany)
A collection of bright, pastel-colored maps of the continent and individual countries since 19th century onwards (colonial territories and post-colonial era)...based on standard historical sources and other African map websites.
- World Gazetteer on Africa (Stefan Helders, Köln, Germany)
- World Resources Institute -- EarthTrends: Watersheds and Water Resources and Freshwater Ecosytems (Washington, DC)
- WWW Virtual Library for Map History / History of Cartography: Images of Early Maps
--Africa (& the Islands) (Tony Campbell, The British Library, London, UK)