Managing University Records
Services & Vendors
The University strongly encourages departments to use preferred suppliers with a University-Wide Purchasing Agreement (UwPA) for services and goods. In terms of records management, the University has agreements (and favorable contract terms) with the following vendors:
- GRM Information Management – This is the University’s preferred vendor for offsite storage, document scanning service and data storage services.
- Shred-It USA, Inc. – This is the University’s preferred vendor for document destruction services. You can subscribe for a secure, locked console with regularly scheduled pickups or you can schedule a one-time, secure and compliant paper shredding service.
The University has a policy on data deletion and proper disposal methods for University devices. According to the Sanitization and Disposal of Information Resources Policy, “Sensitive Data must be sanitized or disposed of in a manner that leaves such Data fully unrecoverable.”
- For paper records, the records must be destroyed using cross-shredding.
- For digital records, CUIT has available data deletion software.
- For hardware, CUIT has a contract with Keystone Information Systems for electronic shredding. If you find obsolete digital media (diskettes, CDs, magnetic tape, zip drives, etc.) that may contain sensitive and/or confidential information, please contact CUIT to properly dispose of this media. (Please keep in mind that you will need to create a brief inventory listing how many items of each type.)
Clean & Go Green
Keep in mind that Columbia’s Clean & Go Green is a twice-a-year event, which hosts paper shredding services on College Walk. This event also includes reuse/donation bins for clothing, textiles, non-perishable foods, books and small household items. There is also recycling and proper disposal of furniture, computers, electronic equipment (i.e., techno trash), batteries, desk lamps, toner cartridges and paint cans.