General Information | Anthropology | Art & Architecture | Business & Economics | Film Studies | History | Human Rights & Humanitarian Issues | Language & Literature | News & Media | Philosophy & Religion | Politics & International Relations | Sciences | Social Sciences | Statistics & Data | Women's & Gender Studies
Below is a selective list of resources for East Asian Studies. For the most part, these are citations of print reference works in the Starr Library collection, as well as links to online resources in English. The list is organized alphabetically by title within broad subject categories. Where relevant, within each category the resources are sub-divided by region/country. You can jump to the category of your interest by clicking on the tabbed links above. This list is meant as a starting point and is not comprehensive. However, if you know of any western-language resources, or subject categories that you feel should be included in this list, please submit them to Ria Koopmans-de Bruijn for consideration. We always welcome suggestions.
- ACLS Humanities E-Book Full-text scholarly books in most humanities disciplines and in area studies.
- Arts & Humanities Full Text Contents reflect the full interdisciplinarity of contemporary study in the arts and humanities.
- Bibliography of Asian studies (BAS) A comprehensive bibliographic index to articles and other published materials on all fields of Asian Studies.
- Cambridge Histories online Full text online access to the complete 250-plus volumes of Cambridge Histories reference series. Browse Literary History for Chinese Literature, and Regional History to find China, Japan, Ancient China, and Inner Asia.
- CountryWatch.com: website to the world Up-to-date news, data, background briefings, & analysis on every country of the world, including all East Asian countries.
- Encyclopaedia Brittanica online A general encyclopedia, with many listings on Asia-related subjects.
- Encyclopedia of modern Asia. (6 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. DS4 .L48 2002
- Google Scholar Retrieves references to books, abstracts, and ejournal articles from selected university and scholarly repositories.
- H-Net H-Asia Discussion Network A discussion list that helps to keep up with current research in the entire field of Asian Studies.
- H-Net H-NEAsia Discussion Network A discussion list that helps to keep up with current research in the field of northeast Asian Studies.
- Library of Congress Country Studies Online versions of originally print resources, including more up-to-date Country Profiles. East Asian countries included are China, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, and South Korea.
- Wikipedia Use with caution, because not all entries are reliable, but some are very good as a starting point.
- Berkshire encyclopedia of China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS735 .A2 B47 2009
- Brill's encyclopedia of China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS755 .B86 2009
- Encyclopedia of China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS705 .P47 1999
- Encyclopedia of contemporary Chinese culture. Location: East Asian Ref. DS779.23 .E53 2005g
- Encyclopedia of modern China. (4 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. DS755 .E63 2009
- Internet Guide for China Studies Although not updated since summer 2009, still contains many links to useful online resources.
- Modern China: an encyclopedia of history, culture, and nationalism Electronic version of a 1998 print publication by the same title. (Print version available in East Asian Ref. JC311 .M54 1998)
- Encyclopedia of contemporary Japanese culture. Location: East Asian Ref. DS822.5 .E516 2002
- Encyclopedia of Japan. Available via the Japan Knowledge lib database. (Based on the 2 vol. encyclopedia below)
- H-Net H-Japan Discussion Network A discussion list that helps to keep up with current research in the field of Japanese Studies.
- J-Guide; Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources Extensive list of links to useful online resources on all Japanese Studies subjects.
- Japan: an illustrated encyclopedia. (2 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref.: DS805 .J263 1993
- Kodansha encyclopedia of Japan. (9 vols. with Suppl.) Location: East Asian Ref.: DS805 .K633 1983
- The Kodansha bilingual encyclopedia of Japan. Location: East Asian Ref. DS805 .K6323 1998
- An encyclopaedia of Korean culture. Location: East Asian Ref. DS904 .H2525 2004g
- The Harvard Korean studies bibliography: 80,000 references on Korea. Compiled by Frank Hoffman, with Matthew J. Christensen and Kirk W. Larsen. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University, Korea Institute, c1999. CD-ROM Z3316 .H37 1999g (housed offsite)
- Encyclopedia of Mongolia and the Mongol empire. Location: East Asian Ref. DS798.4 .A88 2004
- The Mongolia Society; Web Resources Extensive list of links to online information on all aspects of Mongolian Studies.
- Encyclopaedia of Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet. (3 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. DS485 .H6 K288 2007g
- Encyclopedia of Tibet. (7 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. DS785 .E53 1996g
- Tibetan Studies WWW Virtual Library Includes an extensive list of links to online information on all aspects of Tibetan Studies.
- Anthropology Online (aka Alexander Street Anthropology) Comprehensive resource for the study of human culture and behavior.The Ethnographic Video Online portion is particularly interesting.
- AnthropologyPlus Provides a uniquely broad and rich resource for research in anthropology and related fields.
- eHRAF World Cultures Full-text materials on the world's cultures.
- An ethnohistorical dictionary of China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS730 .O74 1998
- Finding aid for Tibet and areas of influence. Location: East Asian Ref. DS786 .P373 1998g
- Society for East Asian Anthropology (SEAA) The organizational homepage of the SEAA, offering access to news, information, announcements, and resources.
Art & Architecture
- Art & architecture complete A comprehensive bibliographic database that provides cover-to-cover indexing and abstracts for academic journals, magazines and trade publications with full text for many periodicals and books, as well as selective coverage for a number of other publications. An image collection is also available.
- Art index retrospective and Art full text Two H. W. Wilson databases providing citations, some abstracts, and some full text of articles in art periodicals.
- Arts of China Consortium Website promoting the study and understanding of Chinese art history, archaeology, and visual and material culture.
- ARTstor Searchable database of digital images of architecture, painting, photography, sculpture, decorative arts, design and material culture.
- asianart.com An online journal for the study and exhibition of the arts of Asia.
- Avery index to architectural periodicals Offers citations for articles in architecture periodicals. Note: this link is to the OCLC version, there is also an EBSCO version and a ProQuest version available.
- Biographical dictionary of Japanese art. Location: East Asian Ref. N7358 .B55 1981
- Chronological table of Japanese art. Location: East Asian Ref. N7350 .Y298 1981
- A dictionary of Chinese symbols. Location: East Asian Ref. DS721 .E32613 1986
- Dictionary of Korean art and archaeology. Location: East Asian Ref. N7365 .D53 2004
- eHRAF Archaeology A collection of full-text information on archaeological traditions from around the world.
- Encyclopedia of Tibetan symbols and motifs. Location: East Asian Ref. N7346 .T5 B44 1998
- The handbook of Tibetan Buddhist symbols. Location: East Asian Ref. N7346 .T5 B436 2007
- Hotei encyclopedia of Japanese woodblock prints. (2 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. NE1310 .H68 2005g
- Modern Chinese artists: a biographical dictionary. Location: East Asian Ref. N7348 .S85 2006
- Oxford art online Provides access and cross-search functionality to Grove Art Online, The Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, and The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms.
Business & Economics
- ABI/INFORM Global Offers citations, abstracts, and full-text for journal articles in business and management.
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) The premier Asia-Pacific economic forum, offering a rich array of information.
- Business knowledge research Full-text research reports from the Conference Board.
- Business source complete Covers business, marketing, management, accounting, finance, international business, econometrics/ economics.
- ChinaScope Financial Offers China-focused company, sector and macro-economic data as well as media reports and market developments.
- EconLit The American Economic Association's electronic database provides links to full text articles in all fields of economics.
- EIU country data Economic indicators and financial data on 150 countries, including China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, and Taiwan.
- Global Financial Data (GFD) A collection of historical financial and economic data covering 200 countries.
- Orbis Cross search of all databases from Bureau van Dijk. Includes full searching facilities and global standard report format for in-depth international searching and analysis.
- Osiris Database of listed companies around the world. Includes detailed financials going back at least 10 years.
- Thomson one Contains a full range of financial data and source documents on U.S. and international public companies. Must access via Internet Explorer. This database does not work in Firefox or Safari.
- An annotated bibliography for Chinese film studies. Location: East Asian Ref. PN1993.5 .C4 C44 2004g
- Encyclopedia of Chinese film. Location: East Asian Ref. PN1993.5 .C4 Z53 1998
- FIAF international index to film periodicals plus In-depth coverage of the world's foremost academic and popular film journals from 1972 to the present day.
- Film Index International Indexes films from over 170 countries, including all East Asian countries, from the very first silent movies to the latest feature films.
- Historical dictionary of Japanese cinema. Location: East Asian Ref. PN1993.5 .J3 S45 2011
- Research guide to Japanese film studies. Location: East Asian Ref. PN1993.5 .J3 N67 2009
- Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS) A comprehensive bibliographic index to articles and other published materials on all fields of Asian Studies.
- Cumulative bibliography of Asian Studies: Author bibliography. Coverage:1941/1965-1966/1970 Location: East Asian Ref. Z3001 .C93
- Cumulative bibliography of Asian Studies: Subject bibliography. Coverage:1941/1965-1966/1970 Location: East Asian Ref. Z3001 .C94
- Custom Search Search multiple databases in pre-selected quicksets, choose specific databases within a subject area, or log in to create your own customized sets.
- Historical Abstracts An indexing and abstracting service covering a broad range of historical subjects published in 2,000+ journals worldwide.
- Humanities Full Text Covers noted scholarly sources in the humanities, as well as lesser known specialized magazines.
- MIT Visualizing Cultures Has the mission to use new technology and hitherto inaccessible visual materials to reconstruct the past as people of the time visualized the world (or imagined it to be). Covers mainly East Asian historical subjects.
- World History in Video Provides access to documentaries from filmmakers worldwide, covering Africa and the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Oceania.
- The Chinese Civil War and U.S.-China Relations: records of the U.S. State Department Office of Chinese Affairs, 1945-1955 The files of the Office of the Chinese Affairs tell the story of a U.S. policy toward China from 1945 through 1955.
- Chinese history: a manual. Location: East Asian Ref. DS735 .W695 2000
- China: trade, politics & culture, 1793-1980: sources from the School of Oriental and African Studies and the British Library, London English-language sources relating to China and the West, 1793-1980, including over 400 colour paintings, maps, photographs and drawings.
- Foreign Office files for China, 1949-1980 (In 3 sections) Addresses a crucial period in Chinese history.
- Historical dictionary of medieval China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS748.17 .X58 2009
- Historical dictionary of modern China (1800-1949). Location: East Asian Ref. DS755 .G368 2009
- Historical dictionary of revolutionary China, 1839-1976. Location: DS740.2 .H57 1992
- Historical dictionary of Taiwan (Republic of China). Location: East Asian Ref. DS798.96 .C67 2007
- Historical dictionary of the Chinese Civil War. Location: East Asian Ref. DS774.5 .L48 2002
- Historical dictionary of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Location: East Asian Ref. DS778.7 .G86 2006
- Historical dictionary of the People's Republic of China. Location: East Asian Ref. DS777.55 .S835 2007
- Historical dictionary of the Hong Kong SAR and the Macao SAR. Location: East Asian Ref. DS796 .H757 C428 2006
- Tiananmen Square and U.S.-China relations, 1989-1993 Reviews U.S.-China relations in the post-Cold War Era, and analyzes the significance of the 1989 Tiananmen Square demonstrations.
- Historical dictionary of postwar Japan. Location: East Asian Ref. DS889 .H569 2011
- Historical dictionary of the Russo-Japanese War. Location: East Asian Ref. DS517 .K68 2006
- Colonial-Period Korea Documents relating to the Japanese occupation of Korea, from the late 19th century to 1945.
- Historical dictionary of North Korea. Location: East Asian Ref. DS933.7 .K55 2003
- Historical dictionary of the Korean War. Location: East Asian Ref. DS918 .E363 2010
- Historical dictionary of the Republic of Korea. Location: East Asian Ref. DS904.8 .N34 2004
- Historical dictionary of Mongolia. Location: East Asian Ref. DS798.5 .S36 2010
Human Rights and Humanitarian Issues
Language & Literature
- CJKV-English dictionary A dictionary-database of CJK characters and compounds related to East Asian cultural, political, and intellectual history.
- Dictionary of literary biography Provides access to biographical essays focusing on all genres and time periods of American and British literature and selected other literatures, including East Asian.
- Dictionary of literary biography complete online Provides biographical and critical essays on the lives, works, and careers of the world's most influential literary figures from all eras and genres.
- International encyclopedia of linguistics Encompasses the full range of topics in linguistics, including such areas as historical, comparative, formal, mathematical, functional, philosophical, and sociolinguistics.
- Japanese, Chinese, and Korean surnames and how to read them. (2 vols.) Location: East Asian Ref. PL683 .H33 1998
- Linguistics and language behavior abstracts Indexes and abstracts articles in the study of language,including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics and descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics.
- MLA Bibliography An indexing service of the Modern Language Association of America, with coverage of literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore.
- Chinese literature: overview and bibliography. Location: East Asian Ref. PL2271 .C554 2002g
- Historical dictionary of Chinese theater. Location: East Asian Ref. PN2871 .Y46 2008
- Historical dictionary of modern Chinese literature. Location: East Asian Ref. PL2303 .Y59 2010
- Oxford Chinese dictionary: English-Chinese Chinese-English Adapted from the New Century Chinese-English Dictionary published by Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Biographical dictionary of Japanese literature. Location: East Asian Ref. PL723 .B5
- Historical dictionary of Japanese traditional theatre. Location: East Asian Ref. PN2921 .L45 2006
- Historical dictionary of modern Japanese literature and theater. Location: East Asian Ref. PL716 .M47 2009
- Japan style sheet: the SWET guide for writers, editors, and translators. Location: East Asian Ref. PL635 .J36 1998
- Japanese women writers in English translation: an annotated bibliography. (2 vols) Location: East Asian Ref. Z3308 .L5 M34 1989
News & Media
- BBC World Service - Asia Pacific Latest Asian news from BBC News in Asia: breaking news, features, analysis and special reports.
- Factiva Full-text business information; general news and current event coverage. Includes full-text of the Wall Street Journal.
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports Offers views and perspectives on historical events from thousands of monitored broadcasts and publications.
- LexisNexis Academic Full-text coverage of general news, business, legal, governmental and other topics.
- Proquest Newspapers Database of articles from US national newspapers, international English-language newspapers, and selected regional/state newspapers.
Philosophy & Religion
- The A to Z of Buddhism. Location: East Asian Ref. BQ130 .P73 2001
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials Combines the index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's online collection of major religion and theology journals.
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism Web-resource with extensive coverage of Buddhism related information.
- The Electronic Buddhist Text Initiative (EBTI) A loose association of institutions and individuals involved in the input and processing of Buddhist texts in the electronic medium.
- Encyclopedia of Asian philosophy. Location: East Asian Ref. B121 .E53 2001
- Historical dictionary of Buddhism. Location: East Asian Ref. BQ130 .P74 2009
- H-Buddhism discussion list Serves as a medium for the exchange of informaton regarding academic resources, new research projects, scholarly publications, university job listings, etc. for specialists in Buddhist Studies at academic institutions.
- BuddhaNet The website of a non-profit organization of the same name, offering a wealth of information, including the World Buddhist Directory.
- World Religion Database: international religious demographic statistics and sources Contains detailed statistics on religious affiliation for every country of the world.
- The A to Z of Taoism. Location: East Asian Ref. BL1923 .P371 2006g
- Chinese religion: an anthology of sources. Location: East Asian Ref. BL1802 .C5477 1995
- Chinese religion in Western languages: a comprehensive and classified bibliography of publications in English, French, and German through 1980. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7757 .C6 T55 1985
- Chinese religion: publications in Western languages, 1981 through 1990. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7757 .C6 T556 1993
- Chinese religions: publications in Western languages, 1991-1995. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7757 .C6 T558 1998
- Chinese religions: publications in Western languages, 1996-2000. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7757 .C6 T558 2002g
- Confucian classics A site containing Confucian texts with each character hyperlinked to its definition and etymology.
- Historical dictionary of Taoism. Location: East Asian Ref. BL1923 .P37 1998
- Westliche Taoismus-Bibliographie = Western bibliography of Taoism. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7835 .T2 W3 2003
- The A to Z of Shinto. Location: East Asian Ref. BL2216.1 .P535 2006g
- Bibliography of Japanese new religions. Location: East Asian Ref. BL2207.5 .B53 1999g
- A dictionary of Japanese Buddhist terms. Location: East Asian Ref. BQ130 .I53 1989g
- Historical dictionary of Shinto. Location: East Asian Ref. BL2216.1 .P53 2011
- International Shinto Foundation, Inc. The Foundation's homepage, offering general information about Shinto, as well as news, events, and other announcements.
- A popular dictionary of Shinto. Location: East Asian Ref. BL2212.1 .B63 1996g
- Shinto-bibliography in Western languages. Location: East Asian Ref. Z7835 .S5 S38 1986
- Buddhism and culture Presents the essence of (Korean) Buddhist teachings and of Buddhist culture.
- Information on Korean Buddhism (UCLA) Provides links to sites containing information on Korean Buddhism.
- TBRC Digital Library The database of the Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center, dedicated to the preservation, organization, and dissemination of Tibetan literature, and an exceptionally rich resource on Tibetan Buddhism.
Politics & International Relations
- CIAO Columbia international affairs online A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs.
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) daily reports Offers views and perspectives on historical events from thousands of monitored broadcasts and publications.
- Historical dictionary of Chinese Foreign policy. Location: East Asian Ref. DS777.8 .S88 2011
- Historical dictionary of the Chinese Communist Party. Location: East Asian Ref. JQ1519 .A5 S883 2012
- International Political Science Abstracts (IPSA) Citations and abstracts for political science articles in journals and yearbooks published worldwide.
- PAIS international Indexes articles, books, conference proceedings, government documents, book chapters, and statistical directories in the area of public affairs. Now also includes PAIS Archive.
- World news connections Full-text summaries and translations into English of newspaper articles, conference proceedings, radio and television broadcasts, periodicals, non-classified technical reports and local media sources from around the world. (Continues FBIS, mentioned above)
- World Politics Review Daily online publication for foreign policy professionals and readers with a serious interest in international politics and foreign affairs. (Select a region: Asia)
- Worldwide political science abstracts Provides access to citations and abstracts of journal articles appearing political science journals.
- AccessScience @ McGraw-Hill: the online encyclopedia of science & technology Offers full text articles and dictionary definitions.
- Annual Reviews Offers reviews of topics in biomedical, physical and Social Sciences published as annual journals.
- China/Asia On Demand A knowledge gateway to scientific, technical, and medical information from China in particular and Asia in general.
- General Science Full Text Covers leading journals and magazines, conferences, review articles in science publications.
- Science Citation Index Expanded Multidisciplinary index to the journal literature of sciences.
- Scopus Provides indexing, abstracting of and citation linking to journals in many fields including all the sciences, social sciences, business and medicine.
- Web of Science Bibliographic information and cited references across all disciplines.
- Wiley Online Library Full-text access to the Wiley Online Library which hosts the world's broadest and deepest multidisciplinary collection of online resources.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences Indexes core social science journals from over 100 countries.
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) A searchable archive of social science data for research and instruction; data appropriate for secondary analysis using statistical software.
- Social sciences full text Covers concepts, trends, opinions, theories, and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences.
- Social sciences citation index (SSCI) Multidisciplinary database covering the journal literature of the social sciences.
- Sociological abstracts Abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences.
Statistics & Data
- China Data Center Integrates historical, social and natural science data in a geographic information system to facilitate comparative and interdisciplinary uses of the data.
- Research Data Services For users doing quantitative work and needing assistance with either GIS or statistical software. Located in Lehman Library room IAB215 directly down the stairs from the main space.
- EIU country data An analytical database of worldwide economic indicators and forecasts.
- General statistical sources: International Statistics: Asia Subject guide maintained by Lehman Library staff
- Proquest statistical insight Statistics on all subjects, U.S. and international.
- UNdata Statistical tables covering many topics for countries worldwide.
- World databank A complilation of a number of World Bank data products.
Women's & Gender Studies
- Contemporary women's issues Full-text articles and reports about women from U.S. and international sources.
- Gender studies database Journals, conference papers, books, book chapters, govt. reports, discussion and working papers, theses & dissertations and other sources.
- GenderWatch Full-text and abstracts of a wide variety of feminist and gender studies periodicals.