If you often do your research from off-campus, you can install the proxy bookmarklet on your browser's bookmarks toolbar. The bookmarklet lets you log into the proxy without having to browse from the Columbia University Libraries website.
How to install Proxy Bookmarklet
Add this link to your browser's favorites or bookmarks:
Columbia Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet
To add a bookmark, try one of these methods:
- Click and drag the link to your browser's toolbar or bookmarks folder
- Right-click the link and Add to Bookmarks
- Create a temporary bookmark for this page. Edit the bookmark's URL to manually paste the following code instead of a web address:
You might see a security alert that the "favorite may not be safe", although it is. Click "yes" to continue.
How to use Proxy Bookmarklet
- Once you have bookmarked the proxy bookmarklet, navigate to a database or webpage that is Columbia University restricted.
- Once you are on the page, click on your saved proxy bookmarklet, and you will be redirected through the proxy server.
- If your browser session was just started you'll be prompted for your Columbia UNI and password the first time.
- Saving the bookmarklet to your browser's Bookmarks Toolbar is the easiest way to access it quickly. If the Bookmarks Toolbar is not visible in your browser, you can try to enable it under the View > Toolbars menu.
- If you are using a VPN, it may conflict with the proxy bookmarklet.
- In some cases you may need to use the browser's "Back" button to return to the resource URL, not the vendor's login/error page.
- Licensed content is provided by a number of vendors and some content may not be purchased directly from the source you are using. In this case you will need to start from the Libraries' website or catalog to see if we have access to this resource.
- Have a question about installing the bookmarklet? Please email us: email@example.com.