Guidelines for Research Data Services Consultations
- work with the documentation and codebooks to explain how the data is organized;
- copy files from one computer system or storage medium to another;
- extract subsets from large files;
- merge data;
- convert data among the standard formats used when working with data.
Work with Data
- give pointers to appropriate techniques using examples, and a library of sample programs;
- explain program language syntax;
- advice on data manipulation techniques;
- provide assistance in understanding and solving coding errors.
- support learning statistical software (Stata, R, SPSS, et al.) and GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS) by having manuals available and using computer-based training aids (also see Software & Tools for suggested training resources and level of support);
- give introductions to finding and using data either in the library or in class;
- prepare online user documentation and training aids.
Types of assistance not covered by our services
- Statistical tutoring, for this type of help, please contact the ISERP Statistical Consulting services.
- Assistance with projects commercial in nature or involving classified information, non-disclosure agreements, related to or likely to be involved in litigation, etc.